PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn. Section hike

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 20:15
I'm a section hiker and want to start at Springer Mtn.
I can do about 13 miles a day pretty easy, what would be a good section hike for a 2 to 3 day hike starting at Springer?

Kirby
01-20-2008, 20:17
You could go to Neel's Gap, around 30 miles from Springer, or to GA 348, about 36 miles from Springer, if you add this Approach Trail, one of these finishing points may work well. I have never hiked this area, nor do I live in this area. I am purely operating based on the maps.

Kirby

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 20:21
You could go to Neel's Gap, around 30 miles from Springer, or to GA 348, about 36 miles from Springer, if you add this Approach Trail, one of these finishing points may work well. I have never hiked this area, nor do I live in this area. I am purely operating based on the maps.

Kirby

I wasn't sure how far Neels Gap was from Springer.
I need to buy that map of the GA section, hoping to start in March.
I've done a little bit of the smokies...

Kirby
01-20-2008, 20:22
Starting in March will put you with about 4648394639 other people, depending on you start date.

Kirby

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 20:28
Maybe starting during the week would be better..
I bet weekends would be alot more people.

ScottP
01-20-2008, 20:52
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Check out the guidebook

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 21:00
I am planning a three day section hike starting at FS42(I've already been up to Spiringer from FS42) in late April. My plan is to take out three full days later at GA60 (Woody Gap). But I am a 7-9 miles a day hiker, so if you can do 13 miles per day, Neels Gap would be easily achievable. You could probably even make it on over to Hogpen Gap on the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway at about mile 37. That would give you half of Georgia in 3 days. The guidebook is nice, but I've also attached an Excel file I am working with that may help you. Good luck and enjoy. I hope you post here about your trip since you are going before me.

Blissful
01-20-2008, 21:04
I can do about 13 miles a day pretty easy, what would be a good section hike for a 2 to 3 day hike starting at Springer?

Springer to Neels, 3 days roughly. Some decent mtns like Sassafrass and Blood Mtn to climb.

Early March during the week is a better bet for less people. Or avoid shelter areas and camp. Justus creek is a really nice stop for day one. Georgia hikers can help you when they get back from Soruck.

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 21:14
I am planning a three day section hike starting at FS42(I've already been up to Spiringer from FS42) in late April. My plan is to take out three full days later at GA60 (Woody Gap). But I am a 7-9 miles a day hiker, so if you can do 13 miles per day, Neels Gap would be easily achievable. You could probably even make it on over to Hogpen Gap on the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway at about mile 37. That would give you half of Georgia in 3 days. The guidebook is nice, but I've also attached an Excel file I am working with that may help you. Good luck and enjoy. I hope you post here about your trip since you are going before me.

Thanks for the info, I don't have a date set in stone yet....
Since I live in NC, I can go about anytime.
Thanks for the Excel file, that will get me started on planning.

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 21:15
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Check out the guidebook

Thanks for the link!
I'll check it out!

excuses
01-20-2008, 22:31
John did a nice excel and here is another link, it shows elevation. In the South, which is all I've hike so far, it's up and then down. Enjoy
http://pathways.uwe.ac.uk/thedatabook/index.php

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 22:41
If you start at Springer, vice Amicalola then Neel's Gap would be perfect for a 3 day hike; and you won't have to do 13 miles a day, tough section. If you want to do 2 days or need to bail early then Springer - Woody Gap (GA60) would be a good section.

Hooch
01-20-2008, 22:45
I wasn't sure how far Neels Gap was from Springer. Here's (http://www.ragtag.org/dbatdist.html) a great, quick calculator for AT distances. Hope it works for you down in Gaston County! If Woody is still the the Police Chief, say Hi to him for me! :D

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 22:54
Here's (http://www.ragtag.org/dbatdist.html) a great, quick calculator for AT distances. Hope it works for you down in Gaston County! If Woody is still the the Police Chief, say Hi to him for me! :D

Thanks!
Yes Woody is still the police chief and also a good friend of mine.
I am over the wastewater plant here in Cherryville and have been with the City for 14 yrs now. I see him daily.
Thanks for the calculator and info!
Maybe I'll see some of you at Trail Days this year.

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 22:57
If you start at Springer, vice Amicalola then Neel's Gap would be perfect for a 3 day hike; and you won't have to do 13 miles a day, tough section. If you want to do 2 days or need to bail early then Springer - Woody Gap (GA60) would be a good section.

Sounds like a plan, Thanks John!
Sounds like I'm going to try to shoot for Neel's Gap then.
Then hopefully go back in April and do another 3 day section starting from Neels Gap.

Thanks guys for all the helpful info!!

Hooch
01-20-2008, 22:58
Thanks!
Yes Woody is still the police chief and also a good friend of mine.
I am over the wastewater plant here in Cherryville and have been with the City for 14 yrs now. I see him daily.
Thanks for the calculator and info!
Maybe I'll see some of you at Trail Days this year.I come down to Charlotte to visit a few times a year, maybe we can take a day hike at Crowder's Mountain some time. I was thinking of going to TD this year, so maybe I'll see you there!