PDA

View Full Version : SNP camping

Scrollner
01-20-2008, 20:41
I'm taking my son-in-law and my two sons on a section through part of the SNP this summer. Our plan is to go from Thornton gap to lewis mountain campground, where we will meet up with our wives. I'm the only experienced hiker in the group, so I'm concerned about the distance between shelters on this route. Does anyone know of any campsites in this area we could use?

Rain Man
01-20-2008, 21:44
My daughter Grass and I did SNP last summer, NOBO. We camped one night in the section you asked about.

That night, we camped just off the trail on the way NOBO up towards Mary's Rock at a spot another hiker told us to watch for. It was great. As the trail starts up about 15 minutes north of Byrd's Nest #3, there is a slight turn to the right. To the left in the turn is a short (10 feet?) trail to an overlook, which has enough flat grassy area for one or two tents maybe three. The real attraction is the view of the sunset and/or the lights in the valley to the west. No water, but worth the stop. The next morning it was half an hour up to Mary's Rock. WOW... what views from there, too?!

You'll have to reverse the above directions for a SOBO hike. Let me know if you have any questions about this spot.

Rain:sunMan

Toolshed
01-20-2008, 21:49
I think that might be Skyline's neck of the woods. I bet if you PM him, he could help you.

Scrollner
01-20-2008, 23:44
My daughter Grass and I did SNP last summer, NOBO. We camped one night in the section you asked about.

That night, we camped just off the trail on the way NOBO up towards Mary's Rock at a spot another hiker told us to watch for. It was great. As the trail starts up about 15 minutes north of Byrd's Nest #3, there is a slight turn to the right. To the left in the turn is a short (10 feet?) trail to an overlook, which has enough flat grassy area for one or two tents maybe three. The real attraction is the view of the sunset and/or the lights in the valley to the west. No water, but worth the stop. The next morning it was half an hour up to Mary's Rock. WOW... what views from there, too?!

You'll have to reverse the above directions for a SOBO hike. Let me know if you have any questions about this spot.

I think I saw a post about that spot when I was searching the site. My only problem is that it's about 3-4 miles from our starting point (Thornton Gap) and I had been hoping to do 7-10 miles per day.

Rain Man
01-21-2008, 11:48
I think I saw a post about that spot when I was searching the site. My only problem is that it's about 3-4 miles from our starting point (Thornton Gap) and I had been hoping to do 7-10 miles per day.

No problem. I didn't pay attention to the distances. Some folks plan a short first day because they allow travel time to get to the trail. Not to mention, I think the SOBO climb out of Thornton Gap might be the biggest climb in the whole Park, NOBO or SOBO. Not that I'm suggesting you do this or that. Was just telling you about one neat camping spot along the section of trail you asked about.

Y'all have a good time, like my daughter and I did!

Scrollner
01-21-2008, 17:20
No problem. I didn't pay attention to the distances. Some folks plan a short first day because they allow travel time to get to the trail. Not to mention, I think the SOBO climb out of Thornton Gap might be the biggest climb in the whole Park, NOBO or SOBO. Not that I'm suggesting you do this or that. Was just telling you about one neat camping spot along the section of trail you asked about.

Y'all have a good time, like my daughter and I did!

I didn't realize the climb out of Thornton gap was such a big one! That site near Mary's rock is looking much better - thanks!