PDA

View Full Version : Any good AT Videos or DVD's I should buy?

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 20:42
I got the DVD called "2000 Miles to Maine" for Christmas, loved it!
The video featured a guy named Chad who finished his thru hike along with a few others. Just curious if anyone in the video are whiteblaze.net memebers...

Any other good videos out there?
I'm in the process of reading the book, "A walk in the woods"

Kirby
01-20-2008, 20:45
AT Videos:
"Trek"
"Walking for Freedom on the Appalachian Trail"
"Southbounders" (fictional)
"5 million steps to Maine" (I think)

All I can think of,
Kirby

Blissful
01-20-2008, 21:05
Trek is very good.

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 21:08
Trek is very good.

Where can I purchase?

Kirby
01-20-2008, 21:11
Where can I purchase?

I bought my copy at my local EMS, you can purchase it online as well.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31903

Kirby

DuctTape
01-21-2008, 01:00
I agree TREK is very good, better than 2000 miles, available on Amazon last I checked.

Can't speak for other videos since I haven't seen them.

Jaybird62
01-21-2008, 01:02
Appalachian Impressions is also a good video. I also agree that Trek is a very good video.

88BlueGT
01-21-2008, 01:35
The only video that I own or have seen on the AT is also Trek. I thought that it was excellent. The only thing that I think they could have done more was show the scenery.... but if you havent done the AT yet I guess its a good thing.

wrightsphoto
01-21-2008, 03:19
Thanks! I am ordering Trek and the Appalachian Impressions videos...
Thanks to all who replied!!

Jeff
01-21-2008, 08:51
There are several 5 minute out takes of Trek on Utube

Here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjcT2RTmyQ

Doughnut
01-21-2008, 08:53
I won Southbounders at a raffle at SORUCK, It is very insightful, about the relationships that develop on the trail and WITH the trail. Great scenery and some good advice.

Jim Adams
01-21-2008, 11:21
Appalachian Impressions is the best IMO as far as info goes.
Trek is good as is Walking with Freedom.
I thought that 2000 Miles was the worst but then again, I was out there hiking that year and met some of those hikers...one was a total a$$ that had a "campfire" in the Smokies with 20' high flames and was feeding Goldfish crackers thru the fence to a black bear.
5 Million Steps is good if a little old and I just got another (new) video from ebay that although it is produced recently on DVD, it is an older film from the '70s or early '80s by the appearance of the equipment and clothing. It is very good film quality (maybe the best quality of any because the original was on film) but I don't remember the name...I'll post it once I check it at home.
Walking With Spring documenting Earl Shaffer's hike is also very good.
Southbounders, although fictional seems to bring out more trail emotions and feelings within me than the others. Good story.
If you can get ahold of the 2 part show from the PBS Backpacker Magazine produced show called Trailside it is probably the best AT video that I've seen IMO. They sent video cameras with 20 thruhikers in the early '90s and let them record their own hikes. What the final show was edited down to is fairly impressive and to me, relates more feelings and emotions as to what it is really like out there.

geek

BipolarStroller
01-21-2008, 11:38
Can anyone help me find a copy of "Hiker hicks"? Crumb posted a thread on it just before the hacker attack earlier this month and never got reposted. His birthday is around the corner and would be just tickled to get his own copy.
thanks

brotheral
01-21-2008, 11:42
I just ordered Trek at Amazon. Thanks for good thread......I want a copy of Jan Liteshoes book, but I keep procrastinating. I need to put the check in the mail tomorrow.*
REMEMBER M.E. Happy Trails...BrotherAL :welcome
*No Mail Today- MLK Day

wrightsphoto
01-21-2008, 19:01
I bought "Appalachian Imressions" today at a Outdoor Supply store in Hickory, NC.
It was the last one they had.
I plan on watching it tonight.

I'm still going to order "Trek"

Thanks for all the replies!

wrightsphoto
01-21-2008, 19:02
If anyone wants to sell their used DVD's let me know.

Thanks!

Painted Turtle
01-22-2008, 17:26
I just got the, "Walking With Freedom" video and it would of been a decent video if it was not for the very poor quality. A lot of pixilation and blurry from over copying.:(

88BlueGT
01-22-2008, 17:38
I have never seen Walking With Freedom but I was pretty impressed with the quality of Trek. Don't get me wrong, I wouldnt consider it "professional" quality but given the circumstances I think it was shot pretty well.

Lion King
01-22-2008, 19:06
I just got the, "Walking With Freedom" video and it would of been a decent video if it was not for the very poor quality. A lot of pixilation and blurry from over copying.:(

What?

Where did you get it?

Those DVDS are crystal clear unless someone else is making them.

I know, I made it.

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 19:10

My DVD was perfect quality. At least support a fellow hiker and shell out a few bucks for an originial copy.

Lion King
01-22-2008, 19:13
My DVD was perfect quality. At least support a fellow hiker and shell out a few bucks for an originial copy.

Thanks!

If there are any people out there with ANY problems with their DVDS all you have to do is let me know and it will be remedied.

For real.

John Klein
01-22-2008, 19:44
Thanks!

If there are any people out there with ANY problems with their DVDS all you have to do is let me know and it will be remedied.

For real.
No problems with the DVD, I got it for Christmas and really enjoyed it, especially the music, so I wanted to ask you: are any of the tracks available on iTunes?

Painted Turtle
01-22-2008, 19:50
What?

Where did you get it?

Those DVDS are crystal clear unless someone else is making them.

I know, I made it.
Going to take some looking. It was from a link I saw on here Ordered the Video and the book, "AWOL on the AT" was a combo order.

good book Anothe rgood book is, "Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery"

Painted Turtle
01-22-2008, 19:53
Don't accuse me of not doing what is right who the H do you think you are!!!! I got it from a link on here!

amblinalong
01-22-2008, 20:39
Get "Appalachian Impressions", "Trek", and "Walking with Freedom"

Enjoy!
amblinalong

Kirby
01-22-2008, 23:02
Going to take some looking. It was from a link I saw on here Ordered the Video and the book, "AWOL on the AT" was a combo order.

good book Anothe rgood book is, "Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery"

I am guessing you bought it on Amazon, they always do the combo stuff. There is a chance you bought a used copy from the site, and that the previous owner messed it up, then sold it through Amazon.

IMO,
Kirby

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 23:20
Appalachian Impressions is also a good video. I also agree that Trek is a very good video.

=================

TREK is great and probably the first video about the AT I ever owned. I personally knew the hikers pictured in the video so that made it all the more special.

That said ...I'm kinda partial to Appalachain Expressions. It was shot in 2003 (the year I hiked the AT), I know the guy who shot the film personally AND (maybe more importantly) I'm actually IN the film !!

'Slogger

wrightsphoto
01-22-2008, 23:34
=================

I'm actually IN the film !!

'Slogger

I watched it last night, awesome video!
What part are you in? I'll go back and look.
Maybe you look diffirent now?
That was a rainy year!

Almost There
01-22-2008, 23:35
No problems with the DVD, I got it for Christmas and really enjoyed it, especially the music, so I wanted to ask you: are any of the tracks available on iTunes?

These are some of the artists and songs from the movie, you should check out some of their others songs as well, but these are the ones I found on Itunes:

Johnsmith: Appalachian Rain
Christopher Jak: Hold on Tight
Dean Fields: In and Out
Libby Kirkpatrick: Goodnight Venus
Good Brother Earl: Another Rainy Day

I think there were only 2-3 other songs maybe on Itunes but these were my favorites and the ones I bought. BTW, these are the way the artists spell their names, Johnsmith is one word. I also bought the whole album Traveler that Appalachian Rain was on, great folk album.

BTW: Lion King, my DVD is still going strong, I use it Appalachian Impressions and Southbounders in my World Geography classes that I teach! I need to get the PCT movie to give the kids a feel for what is out on the west coast. There is nothing like seeing the look on a bunch of inner city kids when they see this stuff, and then find out I go out and do much of it as well.:D

wrightsphoto
01-22-2008, 23:35
Thanks!

For real.

Where do I buy a new copy? PM me with more info please!

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 23:42
I watched it last night, awesome video!
What part are you in? I'll go back and look.
Maybe you look diffirent now?
That was a rainy year!

===============================

Nah ...I don't look any different - - maybe older !! Check out the footage shot at Kincora hostel. I was the hiker with the clippers giving all the haircuts. It all started out pretty innocently. I had clippers in my bounce box and gave myself a buzz when I got to the hostel. Other hikers saw me and asked if I was willing to buzz a few more heads. Push came to shove and I ended up buzzing about a dozen hikers before it was all said and done - - including the signature AT down to the skin.

Ah ...my few seconds of fame !! (Thanks CC - Carolina Cruiser)

'Slogger

Lion King
01-23-2008, 00:06
===============================

Nah ...I don't look any different - - maybe older !! Check out the footage shot at Kincora hostel. I was the hiker with the clippers giving all the haircuts. It all started out pretty innocently. I had clippers in my bounce box and gave myself a buzz when I got to the hostel. Other hikers saw me and asked if I was willing to buzz a few more heads. Push came to shove and I ended up buzzing about a dozen hikers before it was all said and done - - including the signature AT down to the skin.

Ah ...my few seconds of fame !! (Thanks CC - Carolina Cruiser)

'Slogger

you're in mine as well...the parade, and I am in Ap Impressions as well on Mt Washington

and Slogger, I was just outside of where you live a week ago.

Pawnee Buttes.

double d
01-23-2008, 01:06
Does anyone know if Trailside (the old John Viehman pbs series) still has vhs/dvd's for sale? I'm interested in the thur hikers 2 part series. I checked on ebay, zero luck. The Trailside series was produced in the 1990's and it was watched by alot of hikers, it was always well produced and fun to watch. Of course, this series was made many years before the internet became the norm for information.

Painted Turtle
01-23-2008, 11:29
I am guessing you bought it on Amazon, they always do the combo stuff. There is a chance you bought a used copy from the site, and that the previous owner messed it up, then sold it through Amazon.

IMO,
Kirby

Very well could be. I have a bad habit of throwing things out. My PayPal only says, "Internet Purch San Jose, CA"

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 11:37
Very well could be. I have a bad habit of throwing things out. My PayPal only says, "Internet Purch San Jose, CA"

So you didn't buy it directly from LionKing. Thanks for making my point.

LionKings website points to Campmor not Amazon as the place to buy his DVDs.

Painted Turtle
01-23-2008, 12:02

IMO,
Kirby

It was not Amazon. I found it it was:
http://www.awolonthetrail.com/

Painted Turtle
01-23-2008, 12:13

I don’t know what makes you think you are so high and mighty. What have you done to help out a hiker?
I am out there every time one contacts me for a ride. I go all the way to the NY/NJ line for them and ask for no payment or just gas money. A lot of times this means putting my job on the line because I do it between bus runs. I do trail MAGIC up here.

Your condescending childish attitude is uncalled for.

Pennsylvania Rose
01-23-2008, 12:28
No one's mentioned TrailMagic by the Lagunatic. It holds a special place for me because I was on the trail in 1990 when it was filmed. You can even sort of see me in one of the shots. Haven't watched it in a while - can't remember if you're in it, geek. Brings back lots of good memories.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 12:31
I don’t know what makes you think you are so high and mighty. What have you done to help out a hiker?
I am out there every time one contacts me for a ride. I go all the way to the NY/NJ line for them and ask for no payment or just gas money. A lot of times this means putting my job on the line because I do it between bus runs. I do trail MAGIC up here.

Your condescending childish attitude is uncalled for.

keep up the good work.

Almost There
01-23-2008, 12:34

I understand what you were getting at, but you are being a complete ass about it, and so your point gets lost in your attitude.

Also, and I do actually like you, but aren't you the same guy who before his thru-hike solicited for donations on his website to help pay for your hike?

The guy probably got a better deal or bought a package deal, what's wrong with saving a little money, or are we supposed to pay more because a "hiker" made it....no offense Lion King, but unless you are donating some of the proceeds to the trail or maitenance, then I don't see why someone shouldn't get the best deal they can, as long as it is a legal copy of the film and not a pirated version.

Footslogger
01-23-2008, 12:37
and Slogger, I was just outside of where you live a week ago.

Pawnee Buttes.

==================================

...and you didn't call ???

Shame on ya dude !!

'Slogger

Lion King
01-23-2008, 12:54
I understand what you were getting at, but you are being a complete ass about it, and so your point gets lost in your attitude.

Also, and I do actually like you, but aren't you the same guy who before his thru-hike solicited for donations on his website to help pay for your hike?

The guy probably got a better deal or bought a package deal, what's wrong with saving a little money, or are we supposed to pay more because a "hiker" made it....no offense Lion King, but unless you are donating some of the proceeds to the trail or maitenance, then I don't see why someone shouldn't get the best deal they can, as long as it is a legal copy of the film and not a pirated version.

Money has been donated from the sales--a good amount in fact, and this thread isnt about me or my film or that.

I know Awol and I deal with him directly, and as I said, if anyone has a problem with their DVD I will take care of it.

No need for anyone getting hot and bothered unless they are hiking in New York in the dead of Summer.:D

Lion King
01-23-2008, 12:56
==================================

...and you didn't call ???

Shame on ya dude !!

'Slogger

I didnt realize till after the fact when I looked at my map.

I loked up at the map later and saw Laramie and thought, well damn....

Almost There
01-23-2008, 13:08
Money has been donated from the sales--a good amount in fact, and this thread isnt about me or my film or that.

I know Awol and I deal with him directly, and as I said, if anyone has a problem with their DVD I will take care of it.

No need for anyone getting hot and bothered unless they are hiking in New York in the dead of Summer.:D

Got nothin' but love for ya' brother!:D Just had to basically let Blake know he was coming on a bit hard, on a dude who didn't appear to be a bad guy.

Not knowing for sure if you donate(now I do/and thought you did), I just thought I would say you have a right to make a living how you see fit, and so to does someone have a right to get the best deal they can...legally. If it was someone else's movie I would still argue this premise, but someone else is making "ass"umptions about how Painted Turtle had come by his copy, and he seems a pretty standup dude to me.

BTW, when you gonna have the other movie out for sale?

Lion King
01-23-2008, 13:20
Got nothin' but love for ya' brother!:D Just had to basically let Blake know he was coming on a bit hard, on a dude who didn't appear to be a bad guy.

Not knowing for sure if you donate(now I do/and thought you did), I just thought I would say you have a right to make a living how you see fit, and so to does someone have a right to get the best deal they can...legally. If it was someone else's movie I would still argue this premise, but someone else is making "ass"umptions about how Painted Turtle had come by his copy, and he seems a pretty standup dude to me.

BTW, when you gonna have the other movie out for sale?

PCT you can get now. the ADT Im still on (You can watch 13 clips from it at my site with a new one up each Friday) and in Denver as I type awaiting a couple of pacakges and it is Beautiful here right now..of course as I sit in a house the sun is shining and it is mild out...

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 14:07

Who looks like more of an ass....me, or the guy who was bitching about the quality of the DVD that was "blurry from over copying." :-? He could have handled that privately, it doesn't really put LionKing in a good light if this guys telling people that the copy he recieved was blurry and "poor quality"

Well, I'm sure LionKing is making his DVDs from the source computer or source file. He's not burning copies of copies. That's what people who pirate DVDS do.

I got my copy directly from LionKings website and it works perfectly.

Almost There
01-23-2008, 14:21
Who looks like more of an ass....me, or the guy who was bitching about the quality of the DVD that was "blurry from over copying." :-? He could have handled that privately, it doesn't really put LionKing in a good light if this guys telling people that the copy he recieved was blurry and "poor quality"

Well, I'm sure LionKing is making his DVDs from the source computer or source file. He's not burning copies of copies. That's what people who pirate DVDS do.

Yeah, like I said, I can see your point, it's the way you come at it, besides the fact that many of us know Lion King here, and also own a copy of the movie, so I don't think he was trying to trash, on top of this, he did buy it from Awol's site and might have been making an assumption that the poor quality was due to copying. Sometimes a disc is just bad, nobody's fault.

My disc works just fine as well, but I can't remember where I picked it up, I wanna say one of the Rucks, but it might have been off of a reputable web store. Either way, breath and count to 100 before going after someone!:D

UCONNMike
01-23-2008, 15:44
Blake is right

100%

Painted Turtle
01-23-2008, 17:00

I am still wondering what gives you the right to call me a thief? What have you done for the hiking community? After 20 years in the CJ system I have an avid hatred for thefts. They are nothing but liars, cowards and sneaks and to equate me with stealing from a fellow hiker is the pits. I buy the books and vids to mainly support them and I will continue to do so, good bad or indifferent. And all I said was the vid was decent but quality of film was poor. The LionKing and myself were handling it on the side till you opened your mouth and called me a thief. If it was not for the fact that you are a fellow hiker I would be talking to my friend about a tort case for defamation and slander. And at no time have I lowered myself to name calling like some school kid. Again I ask for an explanation. Why are you calling me a theft and what have you contribute to the hiking community.

Painted Turtle
01-23-2008, 17:02
MY APOLOGIES to everyone else and my thanks to the LionKing for dealing with me on the side and handling this in a mature and professional manner.

Enough said.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 17:11
If it was not for the fact that you are a fellow hiker I would be talking to my friend about a tort case for defamation and slander.

haha, ok, my team of laywers will be waiting for call from a guy called Painted Turtle.

Jaybird62
01-23-2008, 17:14
haha, ok, my team of laywers will be waiting for call from a guy called Painted Turtle.
U are delusional-nuff said!

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 17:14
And all I said was the vid was decent but quality of film was poor. The LionKing and myself were handling it on the side till you opened your mouth and called me a thief.

Ok, let me break this down this nice and slowly so you can understand it:

You posted the following in a PUBLIC forum

"I just got the, "Walking With Freedom" video and it would of been a decent video if it was not for the very poor quality. A lot of pixilation and blurry from over copying.:("

Now what part of that statement indicates that you and LionKing were 'handling it on the side'

Handling it on the side would have been you saying to LionKing in a PM, "hey LK, my dvd doesnt work"

Instead you decided to put it in a public forum, not exactly "handling it on the side"

Thanks for your time.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 17:17
U are delusional-nuff said!

Yah Jaybird! And I was totally serious!! I have a team of lawyers!!! ya!

Jaybird62
01-23-2008, 17:25
:-?Dude, that was in response to your "giants fans are delusional" statement made prior to Sun. night.:):eek::p

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 17:29
:-?Dude, that was in response to your "giants fans are delusional" statement made prior to Sun. night.:):eek::p

Fair enough JB:), good luck in the SB, go pats!

Kirby
01-23-2008, 18:18
Is Appalachian Impressions about thru hiking? or just about the AT in general?

One thing that annoyed me about Trek was there was zero footage about the Vermont AT.

Just my two cents, I have not watched Walking With Freedom, although I have been meaning to buy it for about a year now. Sorry Lion King.

Kirby

Kara
01-23-2008, 22:36
Hi there! I'm still very new to this place as you can see POST #3! Woo Hoo!!

Anyway, LionKing, what is your website? I see a couple of people mentioned it but I don't recall seeing a link to it or anything...

Almost There
01-23-2008, 22:37
Kirby, App Impressions is about thruhiking the trail.

Nice to see you're supporting your thruhiking buddy, Mike.:D

Turtle, let it go, at this point Blake is just trying to get your goat!

He was just being overly defensive of Lion King, btw, Blake, he's more than capable of defending himself.

Turtle, Blake and Mike aren't really bad guys, met them both at Tray Gap as they were finishing their SOBO thru.

I will also admit being fair why you even brought up the blurry copy if you were already handling it with Lion King, unless, he responded to your post and wanted to make it right, which would be the type of guy he is.

I think winter is starting to get to SOME of us!:eek:

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 22:39
Hi there! I'm still very new to this place as you can see POST #3! Woo Hoo!!

Anyway, LionKing, what is your website? I see a couple of people mentioned it but I don't recall seeing a link to it or anything...

here you go http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/

Kara
01-23-2008, 22:41
Why thank you L.Wolf!

wrightsphoto
01-24-2008, 01:13
here you go http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/

Thanks LW, I been waiting on that...

Jim Adams
01-24-2008, 02:03
No one's mentioned TrailMagic by the Lagunatic. It holds a special place for me because I was on the trail in 1990 when it was filmed. You can even sort of see me in one of the shots. Haven't watched it in a while - can't remember if you're in it, geek. Brings back lots of good memories.

Rosie,
I forgot about Carol's video...just watched it again last week...Carol did a great job on it considering the equipment for video back then.
I am in a quick shot on the porch at Fontana where I turn and walk away with Ziggy on the top of the pack...yeah, good memories!:sun

geek

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 10:57
An excellant post from Almost There to cool the waters of Whiteblaze in expert fashion.

Of course LK can defend himself but I'm just trying to look out for your man while he's hiking cross country and might have limited internet use.

Turtle, as a fellow Connecticut man I hope that some day we can 'hug it out.' Until then, my team of lawyers awaits the defamation suit.

Who's UCONNMike? :cool:

Kirby, App Impressions is about thruhiking the trail.

Nice to see you're supporting your thruhiking buddy, Mike.:D

Turtle, let it go, at this point Blake is just trying to get your goat!

He was just being overly defensive of Lion King, btw, Blake, he's more than capable of defending himself.

Turtle, Blake and Mike aren't really bad guys, met them both at Tray Gap as they were finishing their SOBO thru.

I will also admit being fair why you even brought up the blurry copy if you were already handling it with Lion King, unless, he responded to your post and wanted to make it right, which would be the type of guy he is.

I think winter is starting to get to SOME of us!:eek: