PDA

View Full Version : Rain Shell???

dmb658
01-20-2008, 21:04
I'm looking for a lightweight shell that is not only waterproof, but that it is also breathable. I've had the Marmot Precip before, but I've that it is wayy to swampy for my liking.. I've been looking into mountain hardwear and arcteryx, and yes these are expensive but i can get them for about 60% off the retail cost.

Blissful
01-20-2008, 21:24
I'm looking for a lightweight shell that is not only waterproof, but that it is also breathable. I've had the Marmot Precip before, but I've that it is wayy to swampy for my liking.. I've been looking into mountain hardwear and arcteryx, and yes these are expensive but i can get them for about 60% off the retail cost.

Precip is swampy? Not sure what you mean. I used mine throughout my hike and it worked fine for what it was intended (around camp and not while hiking unless conditions are extreme, like misty rain with wind and temps in the 40-50s)
On the other hand, ny son hated rain gear and opted for the Go lite umbrella.

Many go with frogg toggs and like them. But my son ripped out his pants on day two.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2008, 21:56
The Marmot Precip breathes if you keep the pockets, pits, and neck unzipped.

scavenger
01-20-2008, 21:58
silnylon poncho :)

greentick
01-20-2008, 23:30
The Marmot Precip breathes if you keep the pockets, pits, and neck unzipped.

Those are the main things I was looking for. I find that, to a point, I can regulate pretty good by using the zips. If it is above 50* I just drape it over my pack as a packcover while hiking. I use it as a part of my cold wx (10-30*) gear over a silk weight top. By adjusting the zip, pits, pockets and cuffs I can stay dry and warm. If I get too warm I have to slow down or drop the precip. Nice and light. I will get another when mine craps out.

Oh yeah, pretty cheap and always on sale somewhere.

double d
01-20-2008, 23:43
Dude, its like -60 with the windchill, forget the rain shell!!! Just kidding, I really like the TNF's rain shells, very well made, good price and they take a good beating and hold up to the test of time.

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 23:46
Precip jackets are often on sale at Sierra Trading for $50 or so. I like the precip pants better than anything I've tried, I wouldn't walk in them unless it was cold, windy and raining, but unfortunately it does all those things at the same time occasionally. I don't see how anyone walks in Frogg Togg pants, they look like gangster wear.

Dogwood
01-21-2008, 01:21
If U can get Arcteryx gear at 60 % off can I be your friend? A Arcteryx Theta hard shell has been on my mountaineering wish list for a while, but at $450 I didn't want to take out a second mortgage on the house to purchase it.

The answer to your question depends on how much wt. U are willing to carry, how much money U are willing to shell out, what kind of features U want in a rain jacket, your hiking style, and location/weather of your hike. Not trying to make it sound like brain surgery, but U might be best served by considering some of these pts.

For a mid ranged full featured rain jacket U could do worse than the Marmot PreCip. I presently own one. Many gear manufacturers tout their products as "highly breathable", "most breathable jacket on the market", etc. Don't always believe it! I have found one of the most durable breathable rain jackets on the market to be Integral Designs Event thru-hiker jacket w/ hood. As with all gear made of Event this jacket is pricey. It also has no pit zips, which I like to have as venting options. Montane's Atomic DT is also nice with low wt. but, again, no pit zips and a bit pricey. I'm a bit of a gear hound so I've owned or do own all the rain jackets I've mentioned plus TNF HyVENT and GoLite Virga rain jackets and all have their place. This brings me back to the PreCip. Any rain jacket, no matter how breathable, can get clammy/wet inside if U overwelm the ability of the fabric to transfer moisture vapor to the outside of the jacket. I've learned to use all the velcro, snaps, zippers, etc. to vent interior heat build up BEFORE overhelming the jacket's fabric to breathe. After all, I've paid for those features in terms of both cost and wt. carried - I might as well learn how to use them! I've also learned staying dry inside your rain jacket is best approached by examining the other clothing U might be wearing under the jacket or wearing with the jacket. Hope this helps.