PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam Parking and Shuttle April 2008

l0ngterm
01-20-2008, 21:28
I am planning to finish up a week long section at Fontana Dam around mid-April. Does anyone know if it is legal/possible to park my truck there? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable shuttle that could get me from Fontana Dam to Deep Gap early on a Saturday Morning to start the section?

Thanks,

l0ngterm

wahootom
01-20-2008, 21:46
Jeff at Hikers Inn in Fontana is a great shuttle driver. As far as parking at Fontana Dam, I was told by one of the park employees inside the visitors center that it is both legal and safe. If you are uncomfortable with that approach, you might consider parking at Hike Inn while you are gone, and Jeff could take care of getting you to and from trailhead, as well as keep your truck safe. He's not far from Fontana Dam. Have a great hike.

Wahootom

Rentman
01-20-2008, 23:44
I recommend Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn, great folks, you can leave your vehicle at the Inn. I believe there is a phone right as you come off the Mtn to call them for a pick up. I've used them twice.....very reliable.:)

greentick
01-21-2008, 00:00
I'll throw in another Hike Inn shuttle recommendation. I have left my truck at the dam on 2 different section hikes without a problem. Plus there are showers at the visitor center so you don't stink up your ride.

schmuttis
01-21-2008, 13:22
The Rohland AT Parking/Access web page doesn't say if parking is permitted: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=10%20&sectionID=90. If anyone should know, that would be a great addition to their website.

Bearbait
01-23-2008, 02:15
I've parked at the dam for 5 days while doing a loop in the park. It is not a problem. I will be doing a section hike through the Smokies in May and I plan on leaving my truck at the dam and getting a shuttle up to Davenport gap.

kytrailman
02-01-2008, 13:27
Parking is legal and is somewhat safe. It seems that the vandalism to cars happens in spurts at the park. Thefts occur everywhere not just at one spot. I have paked there several time with no probs. As stated above you can park at the Hike Inn and be assured that it is safe. They will also give you a shuttle. Great folks.

Rambler
02-06-2008, 21:28
There is a large parking lot at the Dam, and there is even a section for long-term parking. It allows for wide open very visible parking. You can alos drive across the top of the Dam for further parking near a trailhead. The shelter is only a few yards from the road and parking. The Hiker Inn is several miles from the Dam, but they are not far from the AT before it reaches the Dam from the south.

Waterbuffalo
02-18-2008, 09:33
Parking is good at Fontana also Use Jeff and Nancy we used them last friday any time in that area they are your best bet.