PDA

View Full Version : Best type of back pack

Stir Fry
01-20-2008, 21:58
I’ll be retiring in Oct, 2010. I plane on doing a thro hike the following spring. I am looking for the best pack for the hike. I have four packs now, all seem to have various fault’s . To small, not comfortable on long hikes, not set up very good. I have been looking at McHale packed for some time and believe I’m going to order one. Will I be better off ordering one designed to carry 50 to 60 lb. event though I usually carry 35-40 lb. for a 7 day trip.

JAK
01-20-2008, 22:13
If you are serious abour a McHale pack then how much weight it is designed for should not be an issue. From what I understand anything he makes will be more than strong enough and comfortable enough, so just make sure it has enough volume. Personally I think they are overbuilt.

stranger
01-20-2008, 22:32
McHales are known far and wide as decent all around packs, although i question their pricetag considering what else is around. They used to be custom built but not sure what they are doing nowdays. I don't know how well they carry, but some people love them to death.

Check out Osprey and Gregory if you are going to be carrying 35+ pounds, I can vouch for much of what Gregory has done over the years, although a bit heavy in their larger models, they can easily handle heavy loads, and handle they better than anything i've ever seen. Osprey doesn't carry heavy loads as well in my view but they make great all around packs and the best compression on the market.

But keep in mind whatever you get your knees will have to carry that weight, so starting out around 6-7lbs with a empty pack might not be the best choice, but both companies offer packs around the 50-60 litre mark that only weigh just over 3lbs.

Tipi Walter
01-21-2008, 21:27
Before you make the plunge for a McHale, check out the G5000 Mystery Ranch pack. I just got back from an arse-cold backpacking trip up the Bald River and kept ruminating on how comfy and how much I like my MR G6000 pack. It's a load-hauler but even with 60 pounds(or 80)it feels snug and comfortable. The G5000 is smaller, more like the old Dana Terraplane, etc.

Bulldawg
01-21-2008, 21:35
Gosh, I just love my Vapor Trail, but maybe not big enough for a thru??

JAK
01-21-2008, 21:52
Gosh, I just love my Vapor Trail, but maybe not big enough for a thru??What do I know, but that's about the size and weight of pack I would use.

Pacific Tortuga
01-21-2008, 22:04
Buy ULA of USA and not only love the pack, fit, load carrier, quality and guarantee but know its made by the greatest country.

Bulldawg
01-21-2008, 22:17
What do I know, but that's about the size and weight of pack I would use.

I guess it would work for a thru for an experienced hiker. I just couldn't see myself going out for weeks at a time with it. And I know that if you say it will work, you should know!! I think my limit would a 5 or 6 days with it. And my 5 or 6 days would amount to like-------35-40 miles. I don't go very fast!!:):)

JAK
01-21-2008, 22:21
I think it depends more on your style and gear. Some of my stuff is bulk but some is not. For a thru-hike it would be nice to have a little more volume without the weight, so you woundn't have to jam stuff too tight, and you would have room for an extra long section or maybe just some bread and cheese and fresh fruits and veggies now and then if you come across a nice market or something like that.

fredmugs
01-21-2008, 23:00
I do mostly 7 day section hikes so I don't know if you need or want something bigger for a thru hike but on my last trip I broke out my old military backpack and will continue to use it for future trips. I pinched a nerve in the middle of my back several years ago and my lighter pack always aggravates it. On my last trip I was doing 18 - 20 miles a day carrying 35 - 40 pounds and had no problems. Here's a link to my pack:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=8816&TabID=1&CatID=451

quasarr
01-30-2008, 09:34

Granite Gear's website claims that 40% of thrus who finish are using the Vapor Trail. Of course that's a biased source but it's at least something to think about!

And if it's big enough for a week-long section, it should be big enough for a thru, right? Most towns are less than a week apart! For my thru I am planning to use the Vapor Trail or a similar pack.

MOWGLI
01-30-2008, 09:40
There are few places along the trail where a 7 day trip between resupply is necessary. Of course, you might choose that option to stay in the woods longer, but usually 3-5 days is the average time between resupply stops. YMMV.

There is simply no answer to your question about what is the best backpack. I hiked the trail in 2000 with a Dana Design Glacier. It's a great pack, and served me well, but I recently downsized to a pack almost half the size, and it served me well on a recent 6 day hike.

It's all about choices, and what kinds of gear you're going to be carrying. For me, I needed to get a down sleeping bag and smaller tent and pad in order to move to a smaller pack. My synthetic bag is simply too bulky to fit in a smaller pack.

Good luck.

Johnny Swank
01-30-2008, 10:00
Granite Gear's website claims that 40% of thrus who finish are using the Vapor Trail. Of course that's a biased source but it's at least something to think about!

And if it's big enough for a week-long section, it should be big enough for a thru, right? Most towns are less than a week apart! For my thru I am planning to use the Vapor Trail or a similar pack.

I'll have the 2006-07 data available "soon" (meaning - if I can pretend to be working but actually playing with this thru-hiker study), but I can tell you that that size of pack is coming up an awfully lot from just eyeballing things.

FWIW - I used a stripped down Kelty Moraine that was about 3200 cu inch on my thru-hike.

Hooch
01-30-2008, 10:01
I’ll be retiring in Oct, 2010. I plane on doing a thro hike the following spring. I am looking for the best pack for the hike....... The best pack, in my experience is the pack that works for you. Want me to name a brand? I can't and won't, because it's not a "one-size-fits-all" answer. The best pack for you is one that carries your load as comfortably as possible, is well fitted and fits in your budget. Since you live in Concord, my advice unto thee would be to go to a good outiftter (I like Great Outdoor Provision Company at Park Road Shopping Center, but REI or Jesse Brown's will do) and talk to them about packs. Tell them what you need a pack for and get suggestions from their staff. Listen to what they say closely, because they know what they're talking about. The folks at GOPC and REI both have staff who have thru-hiked and are very knowledgeable. The folks at either place can definitely point you in the right direction. Good luck! :D

JAK
01-30-2008, 10:07
Bear in mind however that they may want to sell you a pack big enough for everything they want to sell you, rather than just big enough for what you need. I don't mind the extra volume. Volume is good. I would keep the weight of the empty pack under 2 pounds though, 3 pounds max, even if you want to carry alot. A good pack should be plenty strong and comfortable and still be well under 3 pounds. Most packs sold by outfitters do not fall into this category.

Bearpaw
01-30-2008, 10:14
Will I be better off ordering one designed to carry 50 to 60 lb. event though I usually carry 35-40 lb. for a 7 day trip.

Why in heaven's name would you want to carry 50-60 lbs when you normally only carry 35-40? Many folks have this concept that the AT is a great expedition. In terms of sheer length, I suppose you could make that case. But the reality is that it is backpacking on a steep, but well-maintained trail, stringing together a few dozen 3-5 day backpacking trips. That's all.

You honestly will probably never HAVE to carry more than 7 days of food, unless you intend to hike only 8-mile days, in which case you'll have to walk for about 9 months to complete a thru-hike (and Katahdin will be long closed). If you hike typical 12-15 mile days (once you've gotten into trail shape after the first few weeks), you'll find you DON'T need or even want a big pack.

Take a good look at your other gear. If you have a big sleeping bag or tent you can probably save both weight and space by looking at smaller, lighter options. Six Moon Designs and Shire's Tarptent offer fantastic, compact very light options.

As for what pack? Look at the ULA Catalyst with the extra two aluminum stays option. I have it, and in winter, it does great with loads up to 40 pounds. http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm. Brian Frankle, the owner, is great to work with.

Hooch
01-30-2008, 10:15
A good pack should be plenty strong and comfortable and still be well under 3 pounds....... Gonna have to respectfulky disagree with you on that one, JAK. My pack (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21770&catid=member&imageuser=12238) is an REI UL Cruise 60 (http://www.rei.com/product/747520). It weighs in at a whopping 3.2 lbs and is not only light, but comfortable and carries everything I need it to. I would never even consider a pack over 4 lbs, but a pack needn't weight next to nothing to give good support to your load. And if homeboy goes to one of the outfitters I suggested that actually have former thru-hikers on staff, they'll sell him exactly what he needs, not what they want to sell him to make a buck. JMHO. :D

rafe
01-30-2008, 10:24
There's no "best pack." That said, I have some experience with two Granite Gear packs and like them both. The Vapor Trail for short trips and lighter loads, the Nimbus Ozone for longer trips and/or heavier loads. The difference between them is mostly the frame sheet. The VT has a flimsy, light one, and the NO has a more substantial one. The VT pack weighs 32 oz, the NO weighs 48 oz.

Cindy from Indy
01-30-2008, 10:27
Gregory if you are going to be carrying 35+ pounds, I can vouch for much of what Gregory has done over the years, although a bit heavy in their larger models, they can easily handle heavy loads, and handle they better than anything i've ever seen.

I've only done two, 4 night hikes with my Gregory Baltoro pack, but I love it!! It has several body adjustment points that make the pack feel like a part of your body! It is awesome! I had 35lbs of gear and I was wearing all my winter hiking clothes at the time. Still, it fit wonderfully.

highway
01-30-2008, 10:56
I’ll be retiring in Oct, 2010. I plane on doing a thro hike the following spring. I am looking for the best pack for the hike. I have four packs now, all seem to have various fault’s . To small, not comfortable on long hikes, not set up very good. I have been looking at McHale packed for some time and believe I’m going to order one. Will I be better off ordering one designed to carry 50 to 60 lb. event though I usually carry 35-40 lb. for a 7 day trip.
Dan McHales's custom packs are still handmade in his shop, to each customer's dimensions and they are arguably the finest made packs ever built. They were first built for climbers and each pack's haul loop were so strong that a climber could actually stand on the pack with it suspended on a rope tied to the loop. Some hikers don't feel they need that quality or, more likely, they don't feel the need to pay for it.

Some years ago Dan McHale was not so keen on lightening his pack designs to go lightweight but he finally succumbed to the mounting pressure. For instance, I owned a SARC at 5.25 pounds that I once used for section hiking the CDT with far too much weight. The caliber of that pack was so well known that I sold it on eBay for almost what I paid for it, even after about 4 or 5 years of use. Then I had him make me one similar, smaller, without most frills, with smallish lid of my design that weighed 3 pounds, holding ~2700 ci. which I now use for the CDT sections.

It is extremely well built, yet simple. It's unique double-buckle hip belt does not slip, even loaded with 40+ pounds. If you can afford it, go for it. Since you are even considering it you already recognize quality. I guess it is like one's automobile tires in that the cheapest set, by the mile, is often most expensive in the long run, whereas the most expensive ones are often cheapest-in the same long run! Buying a Mchale is a one-time purchase, one you will not regret.

mrburns
01-30-2008, 11:06
Probably depends a little on your goals. Make sure to review some of the ultralight packs on the market, I wish I'd done that before buying. Also, try to limit the base weight of your other items before buying a pack... I wish I'd done that too instead of buying a new pack first. I probably could have chosen a slightly smaller/lighter pack than the Gregory Z55 I ended up with, even though it's a decent pack.

If your goal is comfort and you buy a pack designed to carry 60 lbs, you'll find it super comfortable with a 35 lb load... but the pack will probably weigh 5 - 7 lbs empty. And to your legs and cardio system, 35 lbs is gonna be the about the same regardless of how your waste and shoulders feel.

I carried a Gregory Pallisade (designed for 65+ lbs) for 7 years of complaint free comfortable weekend trips... it's really a wonderful pack, but in planning a thru-hike I realized it is way to big and heavy... too much of a luxury pack to carry with me.

I'm planning my first thru hike this year, and I purchased a Gregory Z55... designed to be comfortable to 35 lbs, and Gregory has a reputation for comfortable packs that has proven true in my experience. My medium sized pack weighs 3 lbs 6 oz. I've taken it on a couple overnights so far, and while it is comfortable I'm only moderatly content with it because of the million straps... and it has a weird interior shape that is hard to pack efficiently... plus I really wish I'd done more research about lighter packs.

While I do wish I'd bought a pack weighing 1.5 lb or less, I haven't returned my Z55 to REI to make the exchange because it is a comfortable pack and I'm not 100% sure I'm willing to trade that comfort to save 2 lbs off my load.

With that said, I don't hear too many folks complaining that their ultralight packs are uncomfortable so I'm likely placing too much emphasis on the Z55 comfort. It's a pack worth looking at, but make sure you spend a good amount of time looking at lighter weight packs too before commiting.

JAK
01-30-2008, 11:14
Gonna have to respectfulky disagree with you on that one, JAK. My pack (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21770&catid=member&imageuser=12238) is an REI UL Cruise 60 (http://www.rei.com/product/747520). It weighs in at a whopping 3.2 lbs and is not only light, but comfortable and carries everything I need it to. I would never even consider a pack over 4 lbs, but a pack needn't weight next to nothing to give good support to your load. And if homeboy goes to one of the outfitters I suggested that actually have former thru-hikers on staff, they'll sell him exactly what he needs, not what they want to sell him to make a buck. JMHO. :DThat's not a bad looking pack.

Terry7
01-30-2008, 11:59
I just bought a Gregory Baltoro Pack. I went out Monday for a hike. What a great pack. I am completely satisfied with it.

quasarr
01-30-2008, 12:06
And if homeboy goes to one of the outfitters I suggested that actually have former thru-hikers on staff, they'll sell him exactly what he needs, not what they want to sell him to make a buck. JMHO. :D

I think your suggested places are definitely the exception. Most other times if you go to REI or whatever and tell them "I'm hiking the AT- outfit me" (ala Bill Bryson), you'll end up $Texas in the hole and a backpack full of 50lbs of useless crap! Stuff like 7-piece cooksets, mini espresso makers, a white gas stove with a fuel bottle big enough to melt the polar ice caps, etc.

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:10
I used to carry a heavy pack.. With a little practice and some common sense, you could cut your thru pack to 30-35 pounds with the works.. In witch case I'd reccomend you look at something like the ULA Cataylst.. Large enough for luxeries, and room for error (unlike the vapor trail..) A great pack for someone transitioning from heavy gear to light (not quite ultralight) gear..

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 12:12
Although if you want to carry 70 pounds a Camp Trails External Frame is the way to go.;):rolleyes::p

DawnTreader
01-30-2008, 12:19
and if you choose the 70 lb camp trails external frame, I would have to steel a line from the Cowboy thread where a poster chimed in "Make sure you leave with good health insurance!"

Ender
01-30-2008, 12:46
The best backpack is the one that carries all your stuff and is the most comfortable.

Seriously though, buy a bag to fit the job. In other words, get all your other gear first, and then figure out what bags will work for you. Then, try them all on and see which one is most comfortable.

Hooch
01-30-2008, 12:51
That's not a bad looking pack.I'm very happy with it. It has all the features I need, fits excellent, is very comfortable and was within my rather meager budget. When I originally bought it, I had a pack budget of $225. I came out spending $130 plus tax, so had money left over to get a couple other things I needed.

Dogwood
01-30-2008, 14:01
Don't mean to seem evasive or step on anyone's toes but no one can tell U what kind of pack is right for U!!! They can only advise U and tell U what is right for them. U are the best person to decide what pack is exactly right for U!!! Just get informed. U still have time before your anticipated thru-hike. Do more research. Think about the variables that go into the type of hiking U do and what features U most desire in a pack. Examine what's on the market. Try on numerous packs in gear shops(make sure they are filled with the wt. that U usually carry and are designed to carry). Ask questions. Some stores , like REI, rent gear out at nominal prices so if U are leaning towards a certain pack rent it out, load it up, and go for a stroll to check it out in the real world before committing to a purchase. White Blaze and other hiking forums have detailed lists of what some thru-hikers are carrying. Then, U decide, based on what's appropriate for U.

Even though I am reluctant to name any specific pack, I will tell U that I used a Granite Gear Vapor Trail on my thru-hike. I was completly satisfied in all respects with this pack. Now, that's me. It might not be the same for U. However, I would put this manufacturer/pack on my long list of packs to check out at an outfitter. After over 5000 trail miles, countless town excursions, and much traveling on buses and airlines it still performs and looks like it did when I bought it.

Wait on ordering a McHale pack until after U have tried on other packs and U get a better handle on all the variables I mentioned earlier. Custom made McHale packs are some of the finest packs found anywhere. Period. But, being a custom made pack they are expensive and non-returnable so if U change your mind about what U want in a pack at a later date your stuck.

tomsawyer222
02-08-2008, 19:21
Dont let anyone tell you that a Mchale is non returnable.. It is and Dan mchale stands behind his packs as being the best. just no one wants to return one they are good bags. Also being a custom manufacturer he has an advantage over all the other packs mentioned here except maybe ULA because they are semi custom too. That advantage is that the bag does not have to weight 5 pounds it can be what ever you want.... its custom if you want a sack with shoulder straps he can make that too... But it wont be as light as a gossamer gear SUL back pack cause he will still triple sew the whole bag. Still its custom if you want it light you get a light pack also keep in mind with the Mchale frame system you can take out pieces of the frame to shorten it or even remove the frame so when you buy one you dont just get a 5000 CUIN monster pack you can change it based on what you need it to do. He does make packs that are 3000 CUIN and can carry 45 pounds very comfortably and weight around 3 pounds. Yes they are expensive but so is a thru hike why not spend the money on something that will carry everything you own for 6 months?Not to mention it is a custom fit not a generic fit chart style like all the other packs it will fit guarenteed no ifs ands or buts too it.

tomsawyer222
02-08-2008, 19:23
Anyway i understand going light and everything but who here really does have a 10 pound pack weight with food and water for 3 days? only the SUL people do that and sometimes its just not that comfortable

Spreadsheet hiking is what it is

jrwiesz
02-08-2008, 20:14
Although if you want to carry 70 pounds a Camp Trails External Frame is the way to go.;):rolleyes::p

Nope, the Kelty Expedition. Can't be beat, IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160204249287&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

The price is right also!!!

Wilson
02-08-2008, 20:48
The best pack, in my experience is the pack that works for you. Want me to name a brand? I can't and won't, because it's not a "one-size-fits-all" answer. The best pack for you is one that carries your load as comfortably as possible, is well fitted and fits in your budget. Since you live in Concord, my advice unto thee would be to go to a good outiftter (I like Great Outdoor Provision Company at Park Road Shopping Center, but REI or Jesse Brown's will do) and talk to them about packs. Tell them what you need a pack for and get suggestions from their staff. Listen to what they say closely, because they know what they're talking about. The folks at GOPC and REI both have staff who have thru-hiked and are very knowledgeable. The folks at either place can definitely point you in the right direction. Good luck! :D

Is the GOPC still open at Park Rd.?
I liked that place, but I thought it closed.

mweinstone
02-08-2008, 21:33
any ............... when your good, packs matter not young jedi's

10-K
02-10-2008, 06:24
As for what pack? Look at the ULA Catalyst with the extra two aluminum stays option. I have it, and in winter, it does great with loads up to 40 pounds. http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm. Brian Frankle, the owner, is great to work with.

I second that in a big way. I switched from an Osprey Aether to a Catalyst with 2 stays and it made a world of difference. I'm not kidding when I say it is 10x more comfortable to wear and almost completely eliminated the neck and shoulder pain at the end of a long day. When I take it off at the end of a hike there isn't any residual soreness like I had with the Osprey. When I took it (the Osprey) off it took an hour or so for the pain to go away.

nitewalker
02-10-2008, 09:16

great pack! yes you can do a thruhike with the vapor trail [3900cu. in.] pack..if you dont like the vapor trail go for the G G nimbus latitude pack another good pack from granite gear...rides like a champ:D

ofthearth
02-10-2008, 09:21

I second that in a big way. I switched from an Osprey Aether to a Catalyst with 2 stays and it made a world of difference. I'm not kidding when I say it is 10x more comfortable to wear and almost completely eliminated the neck and shoulder pain at the end of a long day. When I take it off at the end of a hike there isn't any residual soreness like I had with the Osprey. When I took it (the Osprey) off it took an hour or so for the pain to go away.

Thanks guys, just the kind of info I've been looking for! Can you offer any other insights regarding the Catalyst? Options?

Had an old Jansport D3 (to big and worried about the parts and pieces). I have since tried Kelty, Gerrory Palisades - sore hipps(to heavy- the pack and my load). Next, a much lighter pack- - sore shoulders (my load though lighter is not going to get in the 20-25 lb range that the pack was designed for).

This is the question I've had and you seemed to have answered it: Can the Catalyst COMFORTABLELY support 30-40 when the situations calls for it. Have not found one around to borrow and try out which is what it seems to take. Nothing like sore body parts to help one lighten the load. And not looking to start a food fight asking about 30-40 lbs, just don't want to end up with another pack.

Thanks again,

dmax
02-10-2008, 12:01
i have a vapor trail and two jansport externals. one is a d5 and the newer one, i'm not sure. i would use any of these packs. on mu thru attempt everybody seemed to wear a different pack, and everybody liked there pack. i saw the crazy one using a u-sack. the pack is all in the head. its what you put in it that makes the difference. use which ever one you want.

10-K
02-10-2008, 22:29
Thanks guys, just the kind of info I've been looking for! Can you offer any other insights regarding the Catalyst? Options?

Had an old Jansport D3 (to big and worried about the parts and pieces). I have since tried Kelty, Gerrory Palisades - sore hipps(to heavy- the pack and my load). Next, a much lighter pack- - sore shoulders (my load though lighter is not going to get in the 20-25 lb range that the pack was designed for).

This is the question I've had and you seemed to have answered it: Can the Catalyst COMFORTABLELY support 30-40 when the situations calls for it. Have not found one around to borrow and try out which is what it seems to take. Nothing like sore body parts to help one lighten the load. And not looking to start a food fight asking about 30-40 lbs, just don't want to end up with another pack.

Thanks again,

The most I've carried in my Catalyst is 30.06 lbs (gotta love digital scales....). No problems, no complaints.

There are a few options you can order - dual stays, water bottle holders on the shoulder straps and a zip thingy inside the pack you can add that I use to put my wallet and keys.

Thanks,
Thomas

stranger
02-16-2008, 01:50
I would stongly advise anyone looking at carrying a ULA to spend some time with the pack on, weighed down properly.

While ULA does make a quality product, they absolutely lack in terms of suspension and fit in my view...the Catalyst shoulder harness is a good example of this.

For ultralight packs they may be pretty good, but for a pack costing around the $200+ mark it comes up short in my opinion. There are also some notable flaws involving the hipbelt but I don't want to get into a pack bashing thing here...just make sure you wear one for about an hour before you settle on it.

But then again, if it feels good it is good, but I would recommend comparing a catalyst to something like a Osprey Aether or Gregory Z55, and then the differences are pretty glaring.

Appalachian Tater
02-16-2008, 02:09
I’ll be retiring in Oct, 2010. I plane on doing a thro hike the following spring. That gives you three years to get your equipment whittled down and then after you have your equipment, you can best pick out a pack. Especially since you already have several packs, there's no need to rush out and buy one now. Who knows what will happen over the next three years with new fabrics or a company could even go out of business and you might not be able to get repairs or parts.

Will I be better off ordering one designed to carry 50 to 60 lb. event though I usually carry 35-40 lb. for a 7 day trip. You should be able to get your pack weight down so that even if you do a 7 or 8 day section without resupply it only weighs 40-45 pounds at the very most even with several liters of water. No need to carry more than that for a spring NOBO. You could even get it down much lower than that.

For many people it is. I think the Nimbus Ozone is a better size.

That's total B.S. and they know it and they ought to be ashamed to have it on their website. Total B.S. Perhaps they meant that 40% of successful thru-hikers who carried Granite Gear packs carried the Vapor Trail. That may be true, maybe, but even in 2006 one of their distributors told me that the Nimbus Ozone was outselling the Vapor Trail for thru-hikers.

And if it's big enough for a week-long section, it should be big enough for a thru, right? Most towns are less than a week apart! For my thru I am planning to use the Vapor Trail or a similar pack.Basically a thru-hike is a series of week-long (or shorter) sections. That's important for traftonm to understand.

rafe
02-16-2008, 09:20
Tater makes a number of good points, particularly the last.

It's not that thru-hiking has to be that way, but that's the norm nowadays. You could pretend that it's more of a wilderness and try to ignore the towns and the conveniences that you're walking past. But most thru-hikers don't do that.

The nature of the trail also changes by region. The idea of the AT as vast, remote wilderness is a bit easier to maintain in certain parts of Maine, or maybe still in a few places down south. It's really hard to do in the mid-Atlantic portion, IMO.

Del Q
02-16-2008, 11:35
Somebody shared a simple idea with me, 10 pounds or less for tent, sleeping bag and pack. I have a kelty shadow 4500, roomy, pockets, comfortable. Over 40 lbs is not fun.

rafe
02-16-2008, 12:08
Somebody shared a simple idea with me, 10 pounds or less for tent, sleeping bag and pack.

This notion is stated quite explicitly on the first page of Part 2 of Don Ladigan's book, Lighten Up (http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203177566&sr=8-1), which is a fine and entertaining intro to light and ultralight backpacking. Don defines "light" as 9 lbs., "ultralight" as 6 lbs. total -- but he includes the sleeping pad weight as well.

It's not that hard to achieve, either. For example: GG Vapor Trail, Marmot Helium, Tarptent Rainbow, Thermarest Prolite 3s = 7.25 lbs. Many variations on that theme. I can't see budgeting more than 3 lbs. for the pack itself, in any case.

the_iceman
02-16-2008, 16:48
I think as you really think about the gear that you absolutely need to have, and I do mean ABSOLUTELY need to have and the size of the pack you need gets smaller. I found thru-hikers tend to carry smaller packs then section hikers, I know I did and some people thought mine was too big at around 35 pounds.

I started with a ULA Catalyst but had fit issues due to incorrect sizing. After a month or so I switched to a Gregory Z pack which came out after I had bought the ULA. There were a few design issues but Gregory service was great and they over-nighted me a loaner and eventually gave me a brand new back with the design changes.

So a couple points to make out of all this;

Pare you gear down to the very bare essentials and then size the pack you need.

Find a pack you like and fits well with your pile of junk in it. Think about those extra outside pockets that you can reach with your pack on instead of one big top loaded rucksack. Pockets add weight but not having to drop your pack to grab a snickers bar is worth it. Waist belt pockets are good.

Think about how you will carry and drink water. This is something you will deal with 20 times a day.

Where will you keep your rain gear, wet tent, etc?

Where will you carry your camera or eye glasses?

Get fitted by several people in different places BEFORE you buy. I think 30% of the thru-hikers I spoke with last summer (myself included) were sold the wrong size pack.

A lot of guys, especially the 40 plus, lose inches off their waists. Does the pack belt come in different sizes you can change enroute?

the_iceman
02-16-2008, 16:59

There were a fair number of Granite Gear packs out there last year but Gregory easily had a 50 to 60% share. Granite Gear was bigger among women than men but Gregory also makes women’s packs.

There were a lot of ULA packs and Ospreys as well. From what I saw Granite Gear did not have close to a 40% share and certainly not among the finishers although I am not sure what that would indicate. I would say of all the thru-hikers I spoke with along the way 25 to 30% changed packs at least once during the hike.

snuffy smith
02-16-2008, 18:01
I just bought a Mystery Ranch Trance at MT. Crossings in Neels Gap that rides like a Cadiliac.

Tipi Walter
02-16-2008, 18:09
I just bought a Mystery Ranch Trance at MT. Crossings in Neels Gap that rides like a Cadiliac.

Trance pack: 3600 cubic inches, 4.8 pounds.

So, I have the G6000(beefy load-monster)and yes, it carries like a Cadillac, comfy with the big loads. What's your Tranch like?? More info please.

cannonball
02-16-2008, 18:31
Best pack? The one you can get somebody to carry for you:D

WILLIAM HAYES
02-16-2008, 20:55
I have gone through probably 6 packs and the one I have settled on is the granite gear vapor trail- it is lightweight and takes some effort to pack if you can get you weight down to 30-35 lbs give it a try
hillbilly

hopefulhiker
02-17-2008, 08:37
I saw somewhere a few years ago that about half the thru hikers use the Vapor Trail, I saw a bunch using the ULA, and many use packs like the G4....

There are some unique pack systems out there too.. I used the Luxury Lite external frame with a front pack.. Sgt Rock is using a custom made Moonbow Gearskin....