PDA

View Full Version : What sleeping bag for '09 Thru?

Lxandr90
01-20-2008, 22:12
I'm trying to get my gear list nailed down as soon as possible for next year so I'll have plenty of time for refinements.
Due to school constraints I am planning on starting mid March to early April so I know that I will need a bag around 20 degrees. What I am worried about however is damp conditions resulting from condensation inside my tent. Has anyone had problems with using a down bag in these conditions?
Thanks.

Mocs123
01-20-2008, 23:35
Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super

ScottP
01-20-2008, 23:42
tarps don't have condensation problems (and neither do well designed, properly pitched tents)

take-a-knee
01-21-2008, 00:07
Also take a look at bags by Feathered Friends.

Colter
01-21-2008, 00:21
I've had condensation often on the inside of single wall tents and tarps, but to me it's no big deal. I try to avoid touching the walls and pitch so any water that runs down the walls drips on the ground. When I started the AT the foot of my down sleeping bag would frequently touch the wet inside of my Silshelter and the shell of the foot of the bag would get wet. Not a problem. It's takes a lot of water to have a serious impact on the loft of down and the moisture never touched me. Later I modified my pitch and then even the foot of my bag never got wet on the outside.

Falling in a creek without a properly protected down bag is a problem. Setting up your tarp or tent where it will be sitting in a puddle if it rains is a problem. Properly managed condensation is just a slight annoyance.

Tinker
01-21-2008, 00:25
I tried to post basically the same message as above, but Whiteblaze doesn't like my computer, and the message wouldn't post.
I would say to wait and see what's hot this spring in bags. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a nice bag during clearance sales in the fall.

Seeker
01-21-2008, 00:37
I'm trying to get my gear list nailed down as soon as possible for next year so I'll have plenty of time for refinements.
Due to school constraints I am planning on starting mid March to early April so I know that I will need a bag around 20 degrees. What I am worried about however is damp conditions resulting from condensation inside my tent. Has anyone had problems with using a down bag in these conditions?
Thanks.

marmot, feathered friends, and western mountaineering all make good bags. i own a WM Caribou. it's a sewn-thru/box stitched design with just a 35* rating. i've deliberately formed a water pool (not on a seam, but in the middle of one of the quilted squares) on it, and it sat for 3 hours without soaking thru. so mere condensation dripping from a tarp or tent wall isn't going to get a good bag wet.

what gets the down inside a good bag "wet" is long term (as in weeks, vs just days) exposure to latent body perspiration that never gets dried out for whatever reason. on the AT, you should have plenty of chances to get your bag completely dry. daily airing helps, and if it won't dry past a certain point due to humidity, throw it in the dryer the next time you stop to do laundry. opportunities are there almost every time you pass a town.

i keep my bag (in its stuff sack) in a white plastic kitchen garbage bag. that bundle goes inside the black trash bag that serves as my pack liner. i've been soaked in a heavy rainfall, but my pack contents remained dry.

use common sense and reasonable caution, and you'll be fine.

minnesotasmith
01-21-2008, 01:45
Full-length synthetic, about 10-15 degree rating, as light as possible, price (as long as 3 digits) no object.

My relatively large/heavy 0-degree bag from Mountain Crossings worked well for my 2006 thru, but was large and heavy enough that it was a PITA for carrying. Not only was its weight an issue. Its bulk made it hard to get in and out of my pack, pushed me into larger/heavier packs than I'd have needed otherwise, and tended to rip stuff sacks/contractor bags it was in, getting it in and out of my pack.

I saw Trek about Feb. 16th at Hawk Mountain shelter with a 15-degree bag that was barely bigger than was my 40-degree summer bag at home. I understood it cost like 500.00, but neglected to ask him its manufacturer or name. I would love to find where I can buy a bag like that for a future thru...

gaga
01-21-2008, 21:59
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=911&catid=popimages&orderby=posts

Lxandr90
01-21-2008, 22:08
Well that's terrifying.

Doing some more research, the Marmot Helium EQ is mighty nice looking, too bad it's $430. It may take a while to come up with that kind of cash.

ScottP
01-21-2008, 23:51
Terrifying?

bad idea #1: Sleeping on the top of a mountain in a snowstorm
bad idea #2: sleeping in a shelter
bad idea #3 sleeping in the exposed bottom instead of the protected top of the shelter.

Appalachian Tater
01-22-2008, 01:27
Terrifying?

bad idea #1: Sleeping on the top of a mountain in a snowstorm
bad idea #2: sleeping in a shelter
bad idea #3 sleeping in the exposed bottom instead of the protected top of the shelter.

It's pretty darn cold in the loft of that shelter, too!

88BlueGT
01-22-2008, 01:40
Well that's terrifying.

Doing some more research, the Marmot Helium EQ is mighty nice looking, too bad it's $430. It may take a while to come up with that kind of cash.

I have been doing alot of research on the Marmot Helium for my thruhike during the same time as you. During my research I have found out that basically the EQ is really unecessary for a thru hike if you are using a tent. The regular bag should have no issues with condensation, etc. Someone on here actually posted about putting the regular Helium in a closed bathroom with the shower running on hot and had no problems. Plus, the regular Helium breathes a little better and is about 5oz's lighter (I think?).

Anyway, I just picked up a Helium on ebay today for $335 shipped brand new w/out tags. Included is a granit gear compression sack. Not too bad but not that great either I guess. I have seen them for around $350 without shipping online at smaller shops. From everything I have read the Helium is an excellent choice.

gaga
01-22-2008, 12:42
stop smocking, drinking ,gambling ... (for 3 months) be a man and buy yourself a M. Helium :D

88BlueGT
01-22-2008, 17:41
I should be receiving mine in about 3-4 days. I can't wait to try it out. I think some backyard camping will be in session this weekend :)

mrburns
01-22-2008, 18:14
The Marmot Helium is my choice. It is very comfortable and warm, and is what I'm planing to use for my thru hike this year. (I'm 5' 10" and have the regular)

If you wear only a thin poly-pro layer and no socks, it'll even keep you and your feet warm at 15 deg.... But put on thicker layers and socks, and your feet will get cold... weird but true... I guess your body keeps the bag warm, and your feet benefit if that warm air can get down there unobstructed.

For me, once I've been at rest for about 4 hours, the bag is comfortable in temperatures up to about 57 deg. I'm not sure what to expect from summer nights on the trail, but if it's much warmer than that for many nights in a row... I might wish I had a warmer weather bag, but at least there's no safety issues with sleeping on top of the bag when it's too hot out.

Lxandr90
01-22-2008, 20:22
stop smocking, drinking ,gambling ... (for 3 months) be a man and by yourself a M. Helium :D

Unless...
I could bet $400 against the Patriots down at the bar, that seems like a foolproof plan to me :rolleyes:

Lxandr90
01-22-2008, 20:34
stop smocking, drinking ,gambling ... (for 3 months) be a man and by yourself a M. Helium :D

Unless...
I could bet $400 against the Patriots down at the bar, that seems like a foolproof plan to me :rolleyes:

88BlueGT
01-23-2008, 00:15
LoL.... you mind as well reimburse me for the helium that I just bought...

Well, since your just going to throw your money away :) lol