PDA

View Full Version : newfound gap nobo march/april

mbanja
01-20-2008, 22:16
I've done everything up to Newfound Gap, GSMNP, and I'm looking for a partner to head north from there in sections starting March or April. I average 12-18 a day and typcially stay at shelters. I have no problem stopping to soak in the views, but I really enjoy making the most of days covering ground. I was lucky enough to meet Rentman on trailspace a few years ago, and he and I went through the Nantahalas and the southern half of the Smokies together. When my wife got pregnant, my frequent section hikes got cut back and Rentman got a 200 mile lead on me... No worries, I'll catch him by next year! I'm looking for a partner because the solo hikes I've done have just been pretty boring. I've taken a few friends out doing the same hikes I've done a million times this past year, and the urge to move further north just keeps nagging me. I don't necessarily want to hike right next to somebody and ruin any chances of seeing wildlife, but it's nice to have somebody else at the shelter. Also, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic - but I've never had any blood sugar issues on the trail so partners need not worry about having to look after me. My wife just feels a lot better about it when there's somebody out there keeping the same stop schedule as me. I like to stay out for about 3-5 nights a time, and I try to go about every month and a half to maintain my sanity. If you're interested let me know.

Tennessee Viking
01-21-2008, 00:30
Once you hit the TN/NC balds there is no choice but take in the views.

10-K
01-21-2008, 10:55
I've done everything up to Newfound Gap, GSMNP, and I'm looking for a partner to head north from there in sections starting March or April. I average 12-18 a day and typcially stay at shelters. I have no problem stopping to soak in the views, but I really enjoy making the most of days covering ground. I was lucky enough to meet Rentman on trailspace a few years ago, and he and I went through the Nantahalas and the southern half of the Smokies together. When my wife got pregnant, my frequent section hikes got cut back and Rentman got a 200 mile lead on me... No worries, I'll catch him by next year! I'm looking for a partner because the solo hikes I've done have just been pretty boring. I've taken a few friends out doing the same hikes I've done a million times this past year, and the urge to move further north just keeps nagging me. I don't necessarily want to hike right next to somebody and ruin any chances of seeing wildlife, but it's nice to have somebody else at the shelter. Also, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic - but I've never had any blood sugar issues on the trail so partners need not worry about having to look after me. My wife just feels a lot better about it when there's somebody out there keeping the same stop schedule as me. I like to stay out for about 3-5 nights a time, and I try to go about every month and a half to maintain my sanity. If you're interested let me know.

I'm on pretty much the same schedule you are but you've got some miles on me. I'm going to try and try and average 75 miles per month this year. By mid-April I should have everything south of Damascus knocked out so maybe we can compare notes again then.

FWIW, your hiking style sounds very close to mine - 12-18 mile days, look at the scenery but keep the pace going, etc. Also, if I had a hiking partner I'd prefer the "hike together but not together" style as well.

Thanks,
Thomas

ps.. Grew up just a few miles east of Stone Mountain - just outside of Centerville. That was the 70's though - I hardly recognize the place now.