PDA

View Full Version : Winter Day Hikes in MA

jene123
12-29-2003, 10:05
Greetings AT enthusiasts! This is my first post. I am looking for advice and/or good sources for winter day hikes in the Massachusetts area. I am planning on hiking southbound from Katahdin in June and want to get a leg up on some of the moderate trails in the MA/VT area.

Thanks.
Dayna

aka jene123

DebW
12-29-2003, 18:07
Greetings AT enthusiasts! This is my first post. I am looking for advice and/or good sources for winter day hikes in the Massachusetts area. I am planning on hiking southbound from Katahdin in June and want to get a leg up on some of the moderate trails in the MA/VT area.

Thanks.
Dayna

aka jene123

The best thing is to check on trail conditions at viewsfromthetop.com. This will tell you if a trail has been hiked recently and whether it is broken out. Snowshoes are generally a must. The other question is whether the parking areas are plowed. Most of the AT road crossings in Mass. are not plowed for parking in the winter. The more popular trails around Everett, Race, and Sage's Ravine may have plowed lots (the blue-blazed side trails, not the actual AT crossing). The popular winter trails in Vermont (like Stratton Mtn.) should have plowed parking, and NH hiking trailheads in the Whites are always plowed out. Be prepared for temperatures of 0 and below along with wind. Eat and drink regularly all day. Carry a headlamp that will work under winter conditions.

Peaks
12-29-2003, 19:36
If you are from the Boston area, then check out some local hikes in Eastern Mass.

One trail suitable for day hiking is the Mid State Trail, running the north-south length of Worcester County. Also, Mount Wachusett is good for day hikes. We went up there this afternoon. Likewise, Blue Hills.

You might also consider the Wapack Trail in Southern New Hampshire. And of course, there is Monadnock.

Why not buy the AMC Massachusetts and Rhode Island Trail Guide and the AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide.

If you are looking for people to hike with, join the local chapter of AMC. There is a full schedule of hikes, both local, and otherwise.

asmtroop3
12-29-2003, 20:17
I hit the Blue Hills daily Dayna.
Not as challenging as others but close by and you can combine trails to get the workout you want to get ready for your June Jaunt.

Frosty
12-30-2003, 10:32

Dayna,

VT in winter will be a snowshoe experience, which is fine if that's what you're looking for.

Eastern Mass has a number of trails that will have minimum snow, and what snow there is will be well packed down.

For loop trails, there are plenty in Blue Mtns, up around Watatic and Wachusett, and in the state forests. Boxford, Parker, Freetown, Miles Standish, etc etc.

For a point to point hike, always more fun, try hiking parts of the Mid-State Trail (new guide/maps just out), North-South Trail in RI, Metacomet Monadnock Trail (hard to follow in places, guide book out of date) and the Bay Circuit Trail (new maps avail - trail is about 200 miles long circling Boston from Plum Island to Kingston).

I would not attempt the Warner Trail. I was unable to follow it as blazes are non-esistent and it is so little used that a trail isn't apparent.

I'm going to start day-hiking hiking the BCT starting at Plum Island in pieces after Jan 1. If you (or anyone else) is interested in doing it all or bits of it, let me know. Warning: Although the trail is pretty level, I plan on high-mileage day hikes.

Grimace
12-30-2003, 16:16
We did Chocurua (sp) in the Whites o New YEars Day a few years ago. Rented Plastic Boots and Crampons from REI in Reading though we prob could have gotten away with just snowshoes.

Jewels
12-30-2003, 19:14
Hi Dayna, I live at the base of Mt. Greylock in Adams, MA and do a lot of hiking, snow-shoeing and x-c skiing in the area. There is parking available on both sides of the mountain for day hikes here on the AT to go from Adams to North Adams, from Cheshire to Adams, Cheshire to Dalton, or visa-versa. All are nice day hikes, you can get the mileage from your AT Data Book. Snow shoes are a must or x-country skiing is always fun if you are just going to the top of the mountain and back. Usually you will meet people up there in the shelter next to the parking area that are getting ready to go down the Thunderbolt on telemark skis, reg. skis or snowboards. I only watch them and stick to the more simple trails which are still a challenge on x-c skis. In the shelter there are fireplaces available to warm up and are usually already burning. I would recommend that you bring an extra under layer shirt at least to change into to keep dry. I like to bring my whisperlite stove, some soup and a sand. or cheese & crackers just for a little snack. If you haven't had the chance to go to the top of Mt. Greylock in the winter it is a must especially after a fresh snowfall. It is like a winter wonderland up there and is so beautiful! I will dig up some photos to post of some treks I have taken to the top. On my last trek up there I lost my camera out of my pack on the way down. I was more upset about the pictures I had lost vs. the camera because it was such a beautiful day with the sun shining, the snow glistening and the reflections off the ice hugging the trees. What a sight!

Warning: Be alert of snowmobiles, most are courteous but some could care less and will fly by you without slowing down.

Happy hiking this winter!

Frosty
12-31-2003, 09:46
Hi Dayna, I live at the base of Mt. Greylock in Adams, MA

What time of the year is the road up Greylock generally open, do you know? I want to get some major hill training in this spring- high elevation gain days, maybe 7-8000 feet in a day. One summer I climbed Greylock both directions by parking a car on top, coasting down on my bike to Route 2, then hiking up. Then doing the same thing on the south side.

My question is, will I be able to do this in April do you think? Or will the road still be snowcovered? If snowcovered, do you know of a place in SW Mass or in CT where I could do something like this? I live in Portsmouth NH but don't mind driving to get in a long day of climbing. The problem with the Whites in winter, which certainly includes APril, is that I can't make as good time on snowshoes, and the high elevations are brutal.

Skiing Tuckermans would be perfect if I wasn't a) a nonskier and b) a coward, so that's out.

jene123
12-31-2003, 12:03
Thanks for the advice everyone. Viewsfromthetop.com is a great resource for NE trails. The plan looks like the Blue Hills for Thurs and Monadnock on Fri. I am always looking for partners, esp. around the Boston area. Drop me a line if anyone is interested in doing something tomorrow.