PDA

View Full Version : After Rotator Cuff Surgery

lostjohn
01-20-2008, 23:56
WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME POSITIVE FEEDBACK AS I SIT HERE WITH MY RIGHT ARM IN A SLING AND FACING POSSIBLY SEVERAL WEEKS (MONTHS) OF REHAB AND RELATIVE INACTIVITY.

I HAVE HEARD OF THE CHALLENGE OF PT, START THAT TOMORROW.:eek:

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OF SUCCESSES, ESP. HITTING THE TRAIL AGAIN.
SPECIAL THINGS YOU DID TO RECOVER.:banana

WON'T GIVE UP, TO MANY GOOD THINGS TO SEE AND DO!

THKS AND GOD BLESS!

LOST JOHN

BigCat
01-21-2008, 00:03
Lost John,
I had reconstructive shoulder surgery two years ago and successfully hiked 700+ miles last year. No ill effects to speak of.

So the positive is, you can be back near 100% -- but it's all up to you. In this case it's literally no pain, no gain. Hit your rehab hard and often and you'll reap the rewards after a few months. Slack on your PT and you could have a bum shoulder for life.

As a former competitive volleyball player I've seen many cases that went both ways.

Good luck, my friend on the work ahead of you.

Snarf.

Bulldawg
01-21-2008, 00:07
Lost John,
I had reconstructive shoulder surgery two years ago and successfully hiked 700+ miles last year. No ill effects to speak of.

So the positive is, you can be back near 100% -- but it's all up to you. In this case it's literally no pain, no gain. Hit your rehab hard and often and you'll reap the rewards after a few months. Slack on your PT and you could have a bum shoulder for life.

As a former competitive volleyball player I've seen many cases that went both ways.

Good luck, my friend on the work ahead of you.

Snarf.

What sort of shoulder surgery did you have exactly? My ortho is trying to get me to have a shoulder resection arthroplasty. My should does not bother me on hikes, etc. But I cannot throw the basketball, football, or softball with my kids without being is great pain. I am scared that this surgery will end my backpacking days. Thanks!

take-a-knee
01-21-2008, 00:12
I've never had the surgery, but I do exercise the four muscles that originate the rotator cuff twice weekly. The absolute best thing I've found for that (and a lot of other things) is a Bowflex. I have the XTLU model. Ask your therapist what he/she thinks about them.

Bob S
01-21-2008, 00:25
I hope it goes well for you with recovery, I shattered my left shoulder socket (along with ½ dozen other bones broke) and went through surgery in 1989 and am reminded of it every day. I still enjoy backpacking, but not like I did before and not as intense of a hike as I use to. Now I go slower and have rest days when needed, that and percocet make backpacking doable.

BigCat
01-21-2008, 01:56
What sort of shoulder surgery did you have exactly? My ortho is trying to get me to have a shoulder resection arthroplasty. My should does not bother me on hikes, etc. But I cannot throw the basketball, football, or softball with my kids without being is great pain. I am scared that this surgery will end my backpacking days. Thanks!

I had an anterior stabilization. My labrum had ripped clean off the bone (which is a common injury for baseball pitchers and an almost guaranteed injury for a dedicated hitter in high-level volleyball).

The resection is not nearly as bad when it comes to down time and rehab.

The most important thing is having a good surgeon. All the therapists I known actually handicap a patient's recovery depending on which doctor did the surgery. All Orthos are not created equal by any stretch.

I don't see any reason why it would end your hiking career.

stag3
01-21-2008, 15:33
I had rotator cuff surgery a few years back and have 100% recovery of the shoulder. IMO, it is absolutely critical that you be diligent with PT. I know, PT can hurt a lot, but you cannot stop. If you do not complete PT, then I think you will have limited use for ever.

The first three months were the hardest...nothing but PT pain and I could hardly see any recovery. Then, one day I said "I'm getting better"!!!! Oh happy day. At month 6 I could get full range of motion, but not much strength. After 9 months---perfect in every respect. My doctor had told me that it would be 9 months--right on .

My message to you is work hard in PT. Oh, BTW, I was 64 when this happened. Man, you're still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stag3

Bulldawg
01-21-2008, 15:39
I had rotator cuff surgery a few years back and have 100% recovery of the shoulder. IMO, it is absolutely critical that you be diligent with PT. I know, PT can hurt a lot, but you cannot stop. If you do not complete PT, then I think you will have limited use for ever.

The first three months were the hardest...nothing but PT pain and I could hardly see any recovery. Then, one day I said "I'm getting better"!!!! Oh happy day. At month 6 I could get full range of motion, but not much strength. After 9 months---perfect in every respect. My doctor had told me that it would be 9 months--right on .

My message to you is work hard in PT. Oh, BTW, I was 64 when this happened. Man, you're still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stag3

I have on old collarbone injury that is getting to me. The resection involves cutting me open, actually sawing off the end of the collarbone (my injury and bone problems are at the end of the collarbone) and reattaching whatever was attached at the end. The doc says 6 weeks rehabilitation. i am not real sure, seems awfully fast.

So far as good orthos, I use the Georgia Sports Medecien group in Athens, GA. It is the group that all of The University of Georgia atheletes are taken for ortho type injuries. Thomas Brown was back on the field in 5 weeks this year after a collarbone injury. Same doc that did his surgery would be doing mine. I just don't want to do it this young and live 50 years hurting. But I hurt now when throwing something, so either way I guess, unless surgery corrects it.

BigCat
01-21-2008, 17:22
I just don't want to do it this young and live 50 years hurting. But I hurt now when throwing something, so either way I guess, unless surgery corrects it.

Well, first of all the resection procedure has little to do with the rotator cuff -- which is a good thing. As you mentioned, the purpose of the resection is to to remove a piece of bone and allow the AC joint to move freely without rubbing. It's a tried and true procedure and has a much easier recovery period than any kind of rotator cuff surgery.

It sound like you've got good doctors, so I don't see why you can't be back in action after six weeks!

NICKTHEGREEK
01-21-2008, 17:32
Unless you walk on all 4's a rotator cuff problem isn't going to hurt your hiking.
I had my left shoulder 'scoped 10 yrs ago, the rehab went quickly, and I have about 95% motion. I did what the doc told me to do rehab wise and after the small incisions healed and I could shower again, there wasn't much inconvenience.

Blissful
01-21-2008, 20:04
As with any injury, surgery, and recovery, don't get impatient and try to do things you aren't ready for. Give yourself time to heal so you can then enjoy the things you like to do at a future date. Take care!!

weary
01-22-2008, 01:07
WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME POSITIVE FEEDBACK AS I SIT HERE WITH MY RIGHT ARM IN A SLING AND FACING POSSIBLY SEVERAL WEEKS (MONTHS) OF REHAB AND RELATIVE INACTIVITY.

I HAVE HEARD OF THE CHALLENGE OF PT, START THAT TOMORROW.:eek:

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OF SUCCESSES, ESP. HITTING THE TRAIL AGAIN.
SPECIAL THINGS YOU DID TO RECOVER.:banana

WON'T GIVE UP, TO MANY GOOD THINGS TO SEE AND DO!

THKS AND GOD BLESS!

LOST JOHN
Let me know how it comes out. I'm deciding whether to have the same surgery. I can do most things with my arm -- except easily put on my own shirts and jackets. But it is increasingly difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position.

The surgeon tells me I can expect to be fully recovered in eight weeks "if all goes well."

Unfortunately, I've reached the age where I can expect fewer and fewer "eight weeks." The dilemma is do I give up a relatively healthy eight weeks to avoid an occasional daylight twinge of pain and a lot of uncomfortable nights.

Weary

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 10:26
I might be the worst person to reply to this thread but it hit close to home.

I have a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus (one of the 4 rotator cuff muscles) - confirmed by MRI in early 2007.

Added to that, I work at an orthopedic/sports medicine clinic.

Like another poster mentioned, for the time being I am focussing on a series of rotator cuff muscle exercises, which I do daily. I was on a heavy dose of Advil prior to beginning the exercises but haven't taken it (or any other NSAID or pain reliever) since.

At my age, the decision to have the surgery comes down to "quality of life". The 2 things we (wife and I) enjoy doing the most are backpacking and scuba diving. So far, I can do both without limitation. So, for now I am going to stick with the exercises and concentrate on strengthening the muscles. Rotator cuff tears can't actuall HEAL themselves however if everything goes well some scar tissue will form over the area and I will be able to avoid the surgery.

If I was younger and extremely active I would have already had the surgery. I work with some of the most talented orthopedic surgeons I have ever met and I have witnessed first hand the outcomes of successful rotator cuff repairs. That said ...I have also seen patients return to full activities too soon and re-injure/re-tear the cuff. The message here is ...if you can avoid surgery you are ahead of the game. If surgery is the right way to go for you ...follow the rehab advice !!

'Slogger

stag3
01-22-2008, 10:59
Lots of experience in this post. It sounds like some endure some level of discomfort (pain?) instead of surgery and rehab. Well, after my rotator cuff repair (right side) and 100% recovery, I then tore the RC in my left shoulder, but not as bad as the tear on the right side. For the second RC tear, I used just exercise and now I have no pain and about 99% of use. My doctor said the difference was the severity of the injury.
I would not suggest surgey as a first choice, but IMO the results of surgery can be worth the rehab pain.

Stag3

BigCat
01-22-2008, 14:55
As I read the last few posts, I want to reiterate that the surgery lostjohn is referring to is NOT rotator cuff surgery. A shoulder resection is the removal of about .5 inch of the collarbone and doesn't mess with the muscles of the rotator cuff.

That's why the downtime and rehab are much shorter.

The ultimate purpose is to allow scar tissue to replace the removed piece of bone and give the AC joint flexibility without having the bone ends rubbing together.

CherrypieScout
01-22-2008, 18:18
I had rotator cuff surgery in March, hiked 120 miles on the AT the following JUly.
Physical theapy is the key!
I stayed in therapy until I could do push ups again.

And I'm old

Had surgery in November to fix a knee. Hiked the next summer the usual 120 miles - no problem.
again physical therapy is the key!

And I am older now

Bulldawg
01-22-2008, 21:10
As I read the last few posts, I want to reiterate that the surgery lostjohn is referring to is NOT rotator cuff surgery. A shoulder resection is the removal of about .5 inch of the collarbone and doesn't mess with the muscles of the rotator cuff.

That's why the downtime and rehab are much shorter.

The ultimate purpose is to allow scar tissue to replace the removed piece of bone and give the AC joint flexibility without having the bone ends rubbing together.

I think lostjohn is referring to rotator cuff surgery. When i saw the thread and the discussion, I sort of inadvertently hi-jacked his thread and asked about my possible resection surgery. Sorry LostJohn!!!

Pacific Tortuga
01-22-2008, 21:49
Yep, two muscles torn badly and had the full blown surgery not the scope, which I hear they can do now. I could not believe the pain and how long a burning sinsation has lasted. Just this past year, for the first time since 2002 I've been able to sleep on my back (to the chagrin of shelter and hostel mates) :o
I had PT for three years and needed to go back in to clean up some scar tissue. Had to wait on that surgery, until they cracked my chest for a quad by-pass first.
That was in 2005 and I hiked a total of 955 miles on the Trail this year. Could not believe a simple mud slide and knee bump with no real acute pain or damage would give me a bone bruise that eventually sent me packin' after Duncannon.
The shoulder hurt so much more than the ticker but it also was no problem at all on the Trail. If you can scope it, go for it, if not, find a good PT like was mentioned already. Blah, Blah Blah : Go For It , and enjoy a good catch with your kids, and "take a hike".

BigCat
01-22-2008, 22:47
I think lostjohn is referring to rotator cuff surgery. When i saw the thread and the discussion, I sort of inadvertently hi-jacked his thread and asked about my possible resection surgery. Sorry LostJohn!!!

oh, hehe -- got my johns mixed up. well, in your case john30563 see my last couple of posts ;-)

as for lostjohn, my ortho says he usually advises having the surgery for anyone under 60 or so. in the words he used to my 78 year-old uncle, "you've got a rotator cuff tear, but if you don;t have surgery the worst thing that will happen is you'll have arthritis in 15 years"

the point being, if you plan on being an active person the surgery should increase your quality of life (after the tough rehab, of course).

Fiddleback
01-24-2008, 20:48
Let me know how it comes out. I'm deciding whether to have the same surgery. I can do most things with my arm -- except easily put on my own shirts and jackets. But it is increasingly difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position.

The surgeon tells me I can expect to be fully recovered in eight weeks "if all goes well."

Unfortunately, I've reached the age where I can expect fewer and fewer "eight weeks." The dilemma is do I give up a relatively healthy eight weeks to avoid an occasional daylight twinge of pain and a lot of uncomfortable nights.

Weary

Find yesterday's (Wednesday/23 January) Wall Street Journal, p.D1. You might find "New Techniques Tackle Rotator-Cuff Injuries" interesting.

FB

lostjohn
01-26-2008, 23:46
Don't Know Exactly Where To Jump In On My Own Question, But Here Goes!

Surgery Was 2 Weeks Ago Yesterday. The Surgeon Was Really Busy Once He Looked Inside. My Pt Is Quite Happy, Range Of Motion Is Amazing (him Driving Of Course) And Pain Almost Non-existant. That Is Making My Biggest Challenge Thus Far To Be: Not Geting Ahead Of The Healing Process.

Remembering What I Have Had To Give Up And The Amount Of Pain Before Getting Help Is A Real Motivator To Follow Directions.

Thanks To All For The Encouragement.

Lostjohn

Montego
01-26-2008, 23:54
That's good to hear lostjohn! Glad the surgery turned out so well for you and that you now have better range of motions than you had. Yes, the healing process and rehab will take some time, but it's definately worth it. :sun

WalkingStick75
01-27-2008, 14:27
November 07 I had a torn rotator cuff repaired and two bone spurs removed. I'm back to about 90% now. Hopefully yours will heal quickly too.

lostjohn
06-14-2008, 11:20
Sorry I waited so long to give final report on the surgery. Things went extraordinaryly well! In fact the shoulder feels better then the other one!

Thanks to all, the most important advice I received and would pass on is-do the PT.

Every horror story I heard was about or from someone who didn't do the PT.

Leaving for the DR on a missions trip in a few days, life is so good when the pain level is reduced!

Lostjohn

weary
06-14-2008, 14:39
A surgeon last fall took the X-rays, did an evaluation, and concluded I would have severe pain the rest of my life if I didn't have rotator cuff surgery. I hesitated mostly because my lung doctor warned that oxygen commonly given during such surgery would possibly reactivate the amiodarone damage that had stabilized after destroying 60 percent of my lung capacity.

I'm glad I waited. Despite the dire predictions of continuing pain, the pain has almost completely disappeared. The trigger for a most remarkable improvement probably was the return of an artery inflamation, which required an increased dose of a steroid. The drug apparently reduced the swelling in the area of the rotator cuff, causing the pain to disappear.

It may return. But I think I'll look for an anti-inflamatory medicine before I talk to another surgeon.

One thing I've learned over the decades. Always question medical advice. Do your own research, ask questions, seek multiple opinions. The one time I failed to do so, lead to the incurable lung problem.

Weary

Wags
06-17-2008, 09:19
i think the big plus is you don't use your shoulders to hike. you use your legs :D

rafe
06-17-2008, 09:30
i think the big plus is you don't use your shoulders to hike. you use your legs :D

If you use poles, your upper body is involved. Maybe not in a huge way, but enough to make a difference.

stag3
06-17-2008, 09:48
Lostjohn

Glad to read your RC surgery worked. Only 5 months of recovery--that is better than I did. I guess the most important part is that you got better:sun:sun. You must have been dedicated to the PT in spite of the pain. Good going!!

Stag3