PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL1

Ramble~On
01-21-2008, 06:47
:-? New tent and there isn't a lot of info out there yet about it.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=21

90" x 42" peak height 37"
Listed trail weight @ 3#4oz.
52 ounces for a freestanding mesh body with fly, 2 door/vestibule.

Does anyone know anything about this tent?

~thanks

map man
01-21-2008, 11:30
Comparing it to the Seedhouse SL1:

MINUS -- It is 13 ounces heavier and 50 dollars more expensive.

NEUTRAL -- Both are freestanding, same sleeping area (22 ft. squared), virtually same peak height (37 inches instead of the 38 inches for the seedhouse), similar pole arrangement and looks to be made out of the same kind of materials.

PLUS -- It has side entry (which many people prefer) instead of front entry, and has 10 ft. squared vestibule space instead of the 5 that the seedhouse has. The accessory vestibule expansion that you can add looks cool if you need LOTS of vestibule space, but that adds about another pound of weight.

And the trail weight you mentioned is indeed 3 lbs, 4 ounces, but most people are likely to carry more like 3.5 pounds once they add stakes, guy lines and stuff sacks. "Package weight" is 3 lbs., 10 ounces. Most folks carry packaged weight on the trail, except they leave behind the instruction sheets -- but those don't weigh much:D.

I have no experience with this tent -- just comparing specs.

Tn Bandit
01-21-2008, 13:20
I have the Seedhouse SL 1 and highly recommend it. I use it all four seasons and stands up well in the snow and condensation is minimal. Trail weight for mine 2.8 #
The vestibule is not very big but big enough for my pack (UL Catalyst) and boots.
I’ve had it for 3 years and it has held up well.

Ramble~On
01-21-2008, 20:31
There isn't a lot of info about the Emerald Mountain SL1 yet because it is brand new...Jan. 2008.
I found claims that it was a 2 door/2vestibule and kinda wondered.
I called B.A. and the SL1 is a single door, single vestibule.

Mercy
01-21-2008, 20:54
I've got a pre-production Emerald Mountain SL2, and I love it. It goes up fast, and is pretty sturdy in the wind.

If you talked to BA, you probably realize the trail weight is the tent, fly, and poles...

My scale says stakes are about .4oz/ea.

I really like the side vestibule.

Guess the question is whether you like the door on the front or the side.

RaoulDuke
01-27-2009, 10:51
prolitegear.com has EM SL1 on sale for $249.

I've had my mind set on the Seedhouse SL1 for quite some time now. Super lightweight and has great reviews, but I prefer side entry over front entry. So now I am contemplating the Emerald Mountain SL1, and being on sale definitely helps.

oh decisions.......

Mocs123
01-27-2009, 11:36
I love my Seedhouse SL1, but it looks like the Emerald Mountain SL1 has a fly vent, and that is a plus.

FamilyGuy
01-27-2009, 18:10
Two new Big Agnes Solo tents available in less than a month. The first is identical in layout to the Emerald Mountain but with lighter materials called the Copper Spur 1. It will weigh 3 pounds even fully packed or 2 lbs, 11 ounces base or 12oz less than the Emerald. $349.

The second is the Fly Creek 1. Similar in shape to the Seedhouse SL1 but with less height at the foot end and a reconfigured pole, it will weigh 2lbs, 3oz packed or 1lb, 14oz base trail weight or 8 oz less than the SL1 Seedhouse. $299.

Personally, I would wait.

Yukon
05-18-2009, 08:50
Hey Ramble, just wondering if you did pick up the Emerald Mountain SL1 or not. I am contemplating it for my end-to-end of the LT in August. I have looked at several different ones but this is the only one I have found so far that I think will work best for me. I need a side entry because I'm 6'-6" tall and the front entry I believe will just be too much of a hassle. I have a BA Copper Spur 3 for when the girlfriend and I hike and am really impressed with it, so I want to stick with big agnes....