PDA

View Full Version : frying pan

squirrel bait
12-29-2003, 11:03
Does anybody ever carry a small aluminum frying pan? Is it worth the wieght to be able to fry stuff up after town resupply? Is there another peice of equipment that would do double duty? Is it to much trouble to cook in a frying pan? Is it a piece of gear that will end up in a hiker box? The new fully cooked bacon is great with eggs. Thanks.

smokymtnsteve
12-29-2003, 11:10
I carry a nonstick frying pan..

how else can you make your pancakes in the morning?

Frog
12-29-2003, 11:14
[B]Of course this depends on the person. I have a top on my Snow peak cook set that can be used as a frying pan used it twice in 3 years. Now i rarely even carry that cook set. For an overnighter where weight is no problem and the type of food you are toteing is no problem then you will probably use it more often. Many years ago i would in winter even take an occational pork chop or steak. Just for an overnighter. But in all likely hood it will just end up in a box.

smokymtnsteve
12-29-2003, 11:41
good for frying up corn fritters too..

Alligator
12-29-2003, 11:52
I have two cookware sets. My trangia stove (Trangia 28 kit) came with a .8l pot and lid. The lid is non-stick and works as a mini frying pan. This pot and lid weighs around 6-7 oz. I don't have the weights handy. It's a small pot though, limited to soups and dehydrated meals. My other set is a GSI Bugaboo solo kit (I ditched the plate and bowl that come with). This is a pot and lid, both nonstick. I think they weigh about 10 oz. together. These are larger, with the lid serving as a deep frying pan/second pot. I like the larger pot in case I need to melt snow. Double duty would be having a lid that is also able to function as a frying pan. It has been my experience that if the pan is not nonstick, then it is not worth using as a frying pan. High heat will usually scorch food and cleanup is too much trouble.

Items I have cooked in a fry-pan:
Pancakes (complete type mix)
home fries
hash browns-kind found near mashed potatoes at store
alfredo
Nature Burger patties (nice lunch item with bagel, especially on 3rd/4th day out).
sauteed veggies over pasta

A stove with simmering capability is of great utility when frying. It could be as simple as low and high, like my Trangia. It has a simmer ring which, although adjustable, really seemed to have only two settings, simmer and full blast. I generally bring my simmerlite these days. It is adjustable, speedy, and thrifty with fuel.

In a pinch, any nonstick pot can work as a frying pan. But pancakes, probably the food most often needing a frying pan, would be difficult.

Kerosene
12-29-2003, 12:38
I say nix the frying pan if you're going to be out for more than a week.

smokymtnsteve
12-29-2003, 12:42
so how do you make your pancakes in the morning without a frying pan?

squirrel bait
12-29-2003, 12:50
And the new sweet potato or buttermilk pancake complete mixes are excellent.

smokymtnsteve
12-29-2003, 12:54
I use my frying pan for veggie burgers with sundried tomatoes...with olive oil and garlic... maybe covered with veggie chili.

Peaks
12-29-2003, 20:08
Does anybody ever carry a small aluminum frying pan? Is it worth the wieght to be able to fry stuff up after town resupply? Is there another peice of equipment that would do double duty? Is it to much trouble to cook in a frying pan? Is it a piece of gear that will end up in a hiker box? The new fully cooked bacon is great with eggs. Thanks.

If you can use the top of your cook set, then that's one thing. If you need to bring along another utensil, then that's something else.

Pancakes, bacon, and eggs are all great in the outdoors. But, frankly, among thru-hikers, most are the get up and go type in the morning. Very few even heat water for coffee or oatmeal. Likewise, you don't need a fry pan for the typical hiker dinners (Mac and cheese, Liptons).

Titanimum gets hot very quick. I suspect that if you use that for a fry pan, things are going to get burned on quick. Aluminum will be a better choice.

However, the decision on what to bring is yours. I'm sure there are those who do use a fry pan. I guess my advice on this one would be to start off with out one. And, when you find that you want it, have it sent to you.

squirrel bait
12-29-2003, 21:57
Thanks everyone. If I find I miss the pancakes and or eggs that much I am sure I can pick one up along the trail. I just like my bigger meal in the morning but all things change.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2003, 22:17
I always carry a small non-stick fry pan. I hike out of most towns with bacon, eggs, veggies and meat for the first 3 days.