PDA

View Full Version : sobo at trek

kaemac
01-21-2008, 12:00
hey folks
i'm headed out for a sobo at hike, mid to late june (depends on when we wind up finishing school.....makeup/snowdays are such a pain) i no longer have a hiking buddy (except for my dog) and would really like to link up with someone who is planning a similar trek before i head out. any good ideas??

warraghiyagey
01-21-2008, 13:03
Go to Katahdin as scheduled. You'll be in plenty of good company by the time you get to Hurd Brook Lean-to. More likely you'll meet the folks you'll be hiking around at Katahdin.:):):)

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 13:55
Just go for it. I just got back from my hike yesterday. There will still be people starting at least thru mid Jul. I started Jul 13th and was passing northbounders through VT, then again in GA but that is a different story. Plenty of people to talk to until you meet with some people.

warraghiyagey
01-21-2008, 14:57
Just go for it. I just got back from my hike yesterday. There will still be people starting at least thru mid Jul. I started Jul 13th and was passing northbounders through VT, then again in GA but that is a different story. Plenty of people to talk to until you meet with some people.
Congrats Hammock Engineer!!!!:sun:sun:sun:sun

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 14:58
Congrats Hammock Engineer!!!!:sun:sun:sun:sun

Thanks

coffee

Freeleo
01-21-2008, 15:02

it seems i owe you a beer now...what is your favorite cincy tavern:-?

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 17:53
it seems i owe you a beer now...what is your favorite cincy tavern:-?

Haps Irish Pub in Mt Lookout area towards the end of Erie. But It is going to be awhile before I make it back there. I will probibly be back through there sometime next month.

I remember you saying you are hiking. Southbound I think. Having seen 2 coolers and none of that trail/hiker feed crap I decided to do one to the late southbounders when they get to the south. Let me know when you make it to the Smokies or south of them and I will meet up with you for a night with the beer.

Almost There
01-21-2008, 18:30
I'm starting from Katahdin on June 10th, found great roundtrip airfare from Atlanta/cheaper than train or bus. That being said, as others have stated there should probably be a few people starting just about every day as of June 1st. You should find someone.

Dancer
01-22-2008, 11:23
hey folks
i'm headed out for a sobo at hike, mid to late june (depends on when we wind up finishing school.....makeup/snowdays are such a pain) i no longer have a hiking buddy (except for my dog) and would really like to link up with someone who is planning a similar trek before i head out. any good ideas??

Hi kaemac.

I'm about 85% sure that I'm starting a SOBO on June 14th, my 35th birthday. I have a few things to work out but am really leaning toward it. (the SORUCK was sooo inspiring) I'll let you know when I have made my decision for sure and we can start together if the 14th will work for you. If we find that we don't get along or one of us is faster or slower we can seperate. Who knows we may find people that are more compatible to us. At least we won't feel alone at first.

Red Hat
01-22-2008, 19:44
Hi, I am also doing a SOBO, July 1. I'll be in Millinocket on the 30th and head up K on the 1st. email if you are interested in hiking with an old woman, experienced hiker

quasarr
01-28-2008, 21:38
How are you guys in NC planning to get to the Trail? I'm looking into the Greyhound bus to Medway, Maine and just try and hitch to Baxter. The bus ticket is only about $55!

surefoot
01-29-2008, 01:20
Quasar,
My son and I are flying into Bangor and have a shuttle set up to pick us up that afternoon on arrival and take us straight to the park for $140. Don’t think this is too bad since we will get to the park in one day we won’t have to spring for a hotel. Arriving on June 6th.

quasarr
01-29-2008, 17:05
surefoot, does that $140 include the shuttle and plane ticket? That is a very reasonable price! I guess a one-way ticket is less expensive.

Red Hat
01-29-2008, 18:27
I checked three different methods of transportation. Train: 4 days, four trains + bus to Bangor - $288. Plane: 1 day, two planes, $220. Bus: 2 days, four busses, $91. Train is my favorite mode of transport, but that is ridiculous and doesn't cover any food. I'm tempted to do the bus, as it leaves from my town and goes to Medway, but I'd have to cover food for two days so that brings it up. The plane goes to Portland and I'd still have to do buses to Bangor and Medway. So I'm still deciding whether to do the plane or bus.

stumpy
01-29-2008, 18:49
I'm starting from Katahdin on June 10th, found great roundtrip airfare from Atlanta/cheaper than train or bus. That being said, as others have stated there should probably be a few people starting just about every day as of June 1st. You should find someone.

Do you need a roundtrip airfare? I figure since your walking home, you don't need that return ticket.:D

surefoot
02-01-2008, 15:19
quasarr, this is only the transport from the airport to the park. Plane tickets for the two of us total were 466. Shuttle was 140 flat fee for one or as many as the vehicle will hold. To me that does not seem too bad if we get to the part in one day and don't have to spring for a hotel. Anyone arriving at the Bagor airport around 2PM speak up and we can split the cost.

kaemac
02-04-2008, 14:05
redhat and amazonwoman,
can't wait to see you guys out on the trail! it's reassuring to know that there will be others out there.

How are you guys in NC planning to get to the Trail?
I'm bringing my dog along, so my transportation is a little more complicated. I actually have a couple of friends who are willing to drive me up there. I have great friends....

johnny quest
02-04-2008, 14:55
im considering a sobo....anytime after june 21st. i would be leaving from texas or florida. would anyone consider sharing a rentacar? that way all but the driver could be dropped off at baxter.

ARambler
02-04-2008, 15:37
im considering a sobo....anytime after june 21st. i would be leaving from texas or florida. would anyone consider sharing a rentacar? that way all but the driver could be dropped off at baxter.

Check out the bus from Bangor (or Boston) and shuttle from the AT Lodge. The car rental is not such a good idea for the final leg.

Rambler

Red Hat
02-05-2008, 12:51
Johnnyquest, I am coming from Brenham, so I checked fares out of Austin for train and plane, and bus from here. Lots cheaper than renting a car and paying for gas, no matter how!

johnny quest
02-05-2008, 12:57
what did you find on train fare?
i really dont want to fly...ive lost so much luggage that i'm leery. and to lose my gear would be almost a showstopper.