PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking Georgia

MtnBikerGuy
01-21-2008, 14:00
I am taking about a week to section hike GA in late April. I want to actually make it through the entire state and get that section off the list. I have a friend in the Atlanta area that will shuttle me to Springer and then pick me up a week later. Where is the first road crossing that he can pick me up at in NC?

If you have a good map web link that shows the trail and the road crossings, that would be great for planning too.

Dances with Mice
01-21-2008, 14:11
Ever think about doing it southbound? You can get dropped off at Dicks Creek, go north to tag the border then walk back to Springer or Amicalola. That would make things a lot easier for your shuttler.

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2008, 14:11
Not from the area, but have a map. The first road I see in NC is Deep Gap USFS 71, ~7 miles north of Bly Gap. USFS 71 is off US 64. Or you could take Chunky Gal trail 5.5 miles to US64.

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2008, 14:20
Ever think about doing it southbound? You can get dropped off at Dicks Creek, go north to tag the border then walk back to Springer or Amicalola. That would make things a lot easier for your shuttler.
That's a pretty good idea. Another option would be to get dropped off at the Chunky Gal trail-head; or Deep Gap and head south, no turning around.

max patch
01-21-2008, 15:09

Thats what I would do.

Your other option is to start at Deep Gap in NC (via the FS rd or via Standing Indian Campground).

If your shuttler is from Atlanta then it is a shorter drive for them to get to Dicks Creek.

As this thread progresses someone will probably tell you to stash your pack at the shelter north of Dicks Creek and walk without it as you hike to Bly and back. Bad advice. Never leave your pack in the woods.

Boudin
01-21-2008, 15:58
The road to Deep Gap, NC may still be closed. Did they ever open it back up after the hurricane damage?

The Chunky Gal Trail is an option, but if you aren't from the area, you will drive past the trailhead two or three times before you find it. There are very few swichbacks on that trail also. There are no memorable climbs, just 50 up 50 down, 50 up 50 down, etc. There are some nice views though.

If the road to Deep Gap is closed. Go to Standing Indian Campground. The approach to Deep Gap is a very gentle climb and the trail is interesting. You and your driver could spend the night in the campground if ya'll get a late start leaving Atlanta.

gearfreak
01-21-2008, 16:00
Not from the area, but have a map. The first road I see in NC is Deep Gap USFS 71, ~7 miles north of Bly Gap. USFS 71 is off US 64. Or you could take Chunky Gal trail 5.5 miles to US64.

This is the one. You can also blue blaze 3.7 miles from here to Standing Indian Campground. I'm hiking Neels Gap to Deep Gap starting on or about April 22. :cool:

Ghosthiker
01-21-2008, 16:18
I was considering doing it south bound in May, myself.

River Runner
01-21-2008, 22:33
The road to Deep Gap, NC may still be closed. Did they ever open it back up after the hurricane damage?

The Chunky Gal Trail is an option, but if you aren't from the area, you will drive past the trailhead two or three times before you find it. There are very few swichbacks on that trail also. There are no memorable climbs, just 50 up 50 down, 50 up 50 down, etc. There are some nice views though.

If the road to Deep Gap is closed. Go to Standing Indian Campground. The approach to Deep Gap is a very gentle climb and the trail is interesting. You and your driver could spend the night in the campground if ya'll get a late start leaving Atlanta.

The road to Deep Gap (FS Road 71) was open in early November and was in good condition. There is good parking and it is an excellent pick-up (or drop-off) point.

MtnBikerGuy
01-22-2008, 18:10
Thanks for everyones input. I have tried to do a search for FS Road 71 as well as USFS 71 and can't seem to find it. I see numerous roads listed as "National Forest Rd". I am guessing one of these is USFS 71. Since I am not familiar with that area, I am just trying to pin point the road if possible. Since I am coming 1/2 way across country to get back on the AT and have limited vacation (dang luck thru hikers) I am doing my best to not 'wing it' until I actually get on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2008, 18:16
I would check around at the local outfitters for a map of the area. The homepage of this website has some maps, but not easy to read. Here's one of them with USFS 71
http://www.whiteblaze.net/atdatabase/topos/AT%20Map%201%20NC-TN%20Deep%20Gap.jpg

bloodmountainman
01-22-2008, 22:21
Highway 76 is the best place to be picked up. It runs between the towns of Hiawasee and Clayton Ga. Forest Service Rd. you were refering to is off the left of this highway on Hightower Rd. The problem with this arrangement is the up and back walk to the state line. Spend the night in Plumorchard shelter, get up and tag the line , walk back to highway for pick up.

Bulldawg
01-22-2008, 22:39
Highway 76 is the best place to be picked up. It runs between the towns of Hiawasee and Clayton Ga. Forest Service Rd. you were refering to is off the left of this highway on Hightower Rd. The problem with this arrangement is the up and back walk to the state line. Spend the night in Plumorchard shelter, get up and tag the line , walk back to highway for pick up.

I'd say go on up to Standing Indian or FS71. That way you can pick back up there for your next section. Otherwise, when you get ready to start NC you have to go to one of those places and backtrack to tag Bly Gap from the north end.

Just my two cents worth.

bloodmountainman
01-22-2008, 22:45
I'd say go on up to Standing Indian or FS71. That way you can pick back up there for your next section. Otherwise, when you get ready to start NC you have to go to one of those places and backtrack to tag Bly Gap from the north end.

Just my two cents worth.

I agree! Didn't think about that way!

Skidsteer
01-22-2008, 23:29
Thanks for everyones input. I have tried to do a search for FS Road 71 as well as USFS 71 and can't seem to find it. I see numerous roads listed as "National Forest Rd". I am guessing one of these is USFS 71. Since I am not familiar with that area, I am just trying to pin point the road if possible. Since I am coming 1/2 way across country to get back on the AT and have limited vacation (dang luck thru hikers) I am doing my best to not 'wing it' until I actually get on the trail.

If you want to check if FS 71 is open the best option is to call Ron Haven (http://www.havensbudgetinn.com/).

My guess is it will be open in late April but Ron will know on a day to day basis.

River Runner
01-22-2008, 23:37
For FS 71 - Look for the road running beside Little Buck Creek. It is located off Route 64 south of Old 64 (Wallace Gap). North of Chunky Gal Trail and West of Kimsey Creek Trail.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2008, 00:48
start at wallace gap,check out the old wasilik poplar tree, before its dead and gone. walk past the rock gap shelter into the standing indian campground hike the kimsey creek trail (cool trail)up to the a.t. and continue south on the a.t.. dont ever count on those forest service roads being open.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2008, 00:55
i dont remember any water on the chunky gal trail. maybe right at the hwy. before starting up from the road. take the kimsey creek trail(plenty of water)

River Runner
01-23-2008, 01:15
The wasilik poplar tree is dead. It's just still standing.