PDA

View Full Version : Sent my reservations in

Old Hillwalker
01-21-2008, 17:11
Just mailed my check and reservation request to Baxter for Katahdin Stream Campground, with Abol C.G. as a backup. June 24 - 27 with the extra days as weather insurance. Gonna ride the bus up from Logan to Medway and stay at the AT Lodge in Millinocket on the 23rd which I will reserve once I get the "go" from Baxter.

As a note of personal interest, June 23 1958 was the day I enlisted in the US Army for my 25 year vacation as a Dogface. Exactly 50 Years ago to the day. New adventure beckons.

See y'all out there:sun

mountain squid
01-21-2008, 17:21
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy036.gifHOO!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs003.gifand http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs027.gif.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 17:29
That's great. Southbound is the way to go.

I started up Big K at 6am and got down at 4pm checking out every view and waterfall on the way. If you don't mind getting up early I would start up at 5am. That would give you awhile with the whole summit to yourself. Plus it seemed to rain a lot in the afternoon in Maine.

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 17:30
That must be a great feeling. Take a headnet or the black flies will drive you buggy.

Bluebearee
01-21-2008, 17:40
"Just mailed my check and reservation request to Baxter for Katahdin Stream Campground, with Abol C.G. as a backup. June 24 - 27 with the extra days as weather insurance."

Don't you have to wait til 4 months out from the date requested? Right now reservations by mail are being taken for May 21st-31st.

hammock engineer
01-21-2008, 17:42
That must be a great feeling. Take a headnet or the black flies will drive you buggy.

And 100% DEET. The mosquitos laugh in the face of 30%.

T-Dubs
01-21-2008, 23:16
It must be exciting to get 'started' on your hike. I'm sure it'll be a great experience.
Enjoy.

TWS

Almost There
01-21-2008, 23:21
"Just mailed my check and reservation request to Baxter for Katahdin Stream Campground, with Abol C.G. as a backup. June 24 - 27 with the extra days as weather insurance."

Don't you have to wait til 4 months out from the date requested? Right now reservations by mail are being taken for May 21st-31st.

That's what I thought, Hillwalker, you might want to make sure that they took your reservation. I leave on June 10th, and from what I saw from Baxter's website, you have to wait a little bit longer to set your reservations.

Almost There
01-21-2008, 23:29
This is directly from Baxter's website:

Rolling Reservations will start on January 16, 2008. You may make a reservation four (4) months in advance of the beginning date of the desired reservation.
Mail-in reservation requests shall be accepted in the BSP Reservation Office no earlier than one (1) week (seven [7] days) prior to the first date for the reservation and will be held until the date reservations are allowed to be made.
Phone in reservations shall be accepted up to 14 days prior to the date of the desired reservation. There shall be a limit of one (1) phone-in reservation per call per day. Phone-in reservations must be paid

Somebody clarify if I am interpreting this correctly, but this would mean that I could not reserve a spot for June 10th, until February 10th, 4 months before I want to stay.

Old Hillwalker
01-22-2008, 09:42
Yeah, I was confused by that verbiage too, but I figgered I would send it in and repeat the exercise again if they tell me I did it incorrectly. I don't care how any times I have to do it, I'm just champing on the bit, somewhat.

hammock engineer
01-22-2008, 09:44
I called the week before and was able to get a spot. Don't get me started on how BSP needs to let southbounders stay at the birches with the rest of the AT hikers. I think if you are flexable on your days, getting a rsvp isn't a problem.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 09:46
BSP "rules" suck. the AT should begin/end at Abol Bridge

Red Hat
01-23-2008, 12:30
Hillwalker, looks like you'll be a few days ahead of me. I plan on being at the campground evening of June 30, and climbing K on July 1st. Another 60+ SOBO hiker...

Almost There
01-23-2008, 12:38
I called the week before and was able to get a spot. Don't get me started on how BSP needs to let southbounders stay at the birches with the rest of the AT hikers. I think if you are flexable on your days, getting a rsvp isn't a problem.

SOBO's can't stay at the Birches, doesn't say anything about that anywhere that I have looked.

hammock engineer
01-23-2008, 12:53
SOBO's can't stay at the Birches, doesn't say anything about that anywhere that I have looked.

They won't let you stay there unless you start hiking 100 miles before the park. I know a flip flopper that argued his way in there. He said he told them he had been hiking on the AT for 2 months. The ranger kept saying that he probibly had his car parked close. He doesn't even own a car.

The Ranger also gave 2 girls I knew crap for spending a freezing night somewhere between the treeline and the campground. They were told by the ranger at the gate they could start up as late as noon. It was dark before they headed down. Their headlamps died and they ended up holding up for the night somewhere. When they got back they asked the Ranger why no one went looking for them after they had signed in. He told them they just wanted to skip the fee and told them they had to pay for 2 nights of camping or he would report them.

After that I didn't put much faith in them.

Bluebearee
01-23-2008, 12:58
Somebody clarify if I am interpreting this correctly, but this would mean that I could not reserve a spot for June 10th, until February 10th, 4 months before I want to stay.[/QUOTE]

That's correct. I was trying to keep this from becoming a Bash Baxter thread. I was the Abol RR last year and will be again this year. If anyone wants to PM or email me directly ([email protected]) about concerns, please do so.

Your reservation will be returned to you, no doubt. Plan to resend 10 days prior to Feb 24th. If you're planning a mid-week start (I don't know the days of June 24th-27th) you will likely have no problem getting space @ K.S. Thanks for working within the system Hillwalker, sorry I will miss you, I won't be there til July.

The Birches spaces (12) are set aside for NOBOs who cannot necessarily plan on when they will be in the Park and are arriving by foot. SOBOs on the other hand can plan on this as they will be making plane/bus/driving arrangements and therefore are expected to use the reservation system. On rare occasions, Katahdin Stream rangers will make exceptions and allow flip floppers and SOBOs to stay @ the Birches. Do not plan on this however. It's their discretion.

Thru-hikers are a very small user group in Baxter, despite the fact it's the Holy Grail for the AT, there is a larger segment of the population who uses the Park as Governor Baxter intended - resource protection first, recreation second. When you really think about that and realize what it means, this gem will never be overrun like some of more famous National Parks - ever been to Jellystone mid-summer and seen the 'bear traffic'? It's a hiking park, not a driving one.

dessertrat
01-23-2008, 13:18
Governor (and later, Private Citizen) Baxter wanted it used fully and as freely as possible, by hikers. He did not want it developed for motor traffic, but he also would not have approved of the sort of restrictions we see today.

Baxter is not overrun for many reasons, and the park rules have little to do with it.

scavenger
01-23-2008, 13:20
BSP "rules" suck. the AT should begin/end at Abol Bridge

Yeah they seem annoying.

Not as bad as False Cape State Park in Virginia where you have to register a week in advance so they can mail you an "information packet" and they banned all fires year round. I think the rangers just don't want anyone go to there at all...

Pennsylvania Rose
01-23-2008, 14:20
Not as bad as False Cape State Park in Virginia where you have to register a week in advance so they can mail you an "information packet" and they banned all fires year round. I think the rangers just don't want anyone go to there at all...

Been there a couple of times in the '90's. Didn't have any problems with walking into the visitor's center and getting a permit. Maybe things have changed. The only thing that p***ed me off is that we were on this "remote" beach, but folks who owned property south of the park could drive along the beach to and from their property.

weary
01-23-2008, 14:29
REservations are only rarely a problem during the black fly season. That is especially true if you plan a mid-week start. It's almost certain that space will be available at some campground.

Weary

scavenger
01-23-2008, 18:50
Been there a couple of times in the '90's. Didn't have any problems with walking into the visitor's center and getting a permit. Maybe things have changed. The only thing that p***ed me off is that we were on this "remote" beach, but folks who owned property south of the park could drive along the beach to and from their property.

Yeah they changed their reservation rules, god only knows why. No walk ups or same day phone reservations. Gotta get an approval pass sent to you in the mail or faxed if you own a fax machine, they won't email it to you or hand it to you in person.

And yeah they let idiots constantly drive down that beach even though its supposedly protected habitat for shore birds and nesting sea turtles.