PDA

View Full Version : How to hang food

steph
12-29-2003, 14:38
I was wondering what a good method/procedure for hanging food is, how much rope you carry, how far from the ground/tree you need to hang your food bag, etc. I am fairly inexperienced at this, and it seems to take me way to long to do it, not to mention that I am "winging it" to begin with. Thanks!

jlb2012
12-29-2003, 15:00
unfortunately bear bagging varies with how smart the bears are - in the simplest case in say SNP just throw the rope over a branch so that the bag is 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the main trunk and 3 feet down from the branch. Rope to use - a flat shoe lace cord is reasonable, personally I use a 550 cord with the cord stripped out. Amount - 40 to 50 feet.

Ankle Bone
12-29-2003, 15:22
Another option is to counter-balance two bags if you're in a group. Tie one bag to a branch as HOI described, then pull on free end of rope until the bag is at the top of the branch. Then tie bag #2 to the free end of the rope. Now let the weight of Bag 1 pull the other bag up to position as also described by HOI. You can use your stick or pole to push it up if needed. In the morning you can push one bag upward until the other bag is within reach. The bears will still get the food, but you may fool a few people into thinking you know what you're doing!

Hikerhead
12-29-2003, 16:03
I learned this from DebW.

My old way was to try to find a limb that was the perfect height and big enough to hold a bag so far away from the trunk. I know this sounds dumb but I have had problems finding trees that will work. Throw the rope over the limb then find another tree to tie off to.

What I learned from DebW. Take any tree, throw a rope over any limb and tie it to the trunk. Find another tree and throw the remaining rope over a limb on that
tree. Now, let the rope drop down between the two trees. Tie your food bag to the rope, then pull it up into the air and then tie off the loose end.

Doing this you can have your food suspended 10 feet between trees and 10 feet off the ground. Even the rodents and raccons will have problems reaching your food done in this manner and you can use any trees, even ones with stubs for branches.

You will need a little more rope for this but 50 ft of the smallest dia cord will work.

jlb2012
12-29-2003, 16:36
watch out for the "smallest dia cord" - a small diameter cord like say Triptease can cut the bark on the branch and with some types of trees the sap from the cut can "glue" the cord to the branch giving one a real crappy time in the morning

steve hiker
12-29-2003, 16:54
watch out for the "smallest dia cord" - a small diameter cord like say Triptease can cut the bark on the branch and with some types of trees the sap from the cut can "glue" the cord to the branch giving one a real crappy time in the morning

I use yellow nylon cord from Home Depot that's sold in 50 foot packs. Light as hell, strong, and thick and slippery enough so it won't cut a groove in the branch or get stuck.

squirrel bait
12-29-2003, 19:53
Steph try the Cooking/food forum under do you hang your food bag everytime. I asked basically this same question and the answers were/are very helpful. Hope this helps.

highway
12-29-2003, 20:55
I learned this from DebW.

What I learned from DebW. Take any tree, throw a rope over any limb and tie it to the trunk. Find another tree and throw the remaining rope over a limb on that
tree. Now, let the rope drop down between the two trees. Tie your food bag to the rope, then pull it up into the air and then tie off the loose end.

Doing this you can have your food suspended 10 feet between trees and 10 feet off the ground.

Hikerhead or DebW:
:-?
I sure hate to appear so dense in front of so many but would you please elaborate slightly on the above? Did you use 2 cords, one suspended between the two trees and another tossed over that line pulling the food bag up?
Thanks

squirrel bait
12-29-2003, 21:48
Use the drawstring on your food bag, attach any number of kinda of clips, couple of knots on the mainline and the wieght of the food bag will keep it in place, experiment with any of the above, invent a new one, sew a tie down onto the bottom of the bag, hang upside down, less chance for rain entering. Good luck.

Hikerhead
12-29-2003, 21:55
Hikerhead or DebW:
I sure hate to appear so dense in front of so many but would you please elaborate slightly on the above? Did you use 2 cords, one suspended between the two trees and another tossed over that line pulling the food bag up?
Thanks
Where's DebW when you need her. She's out celebrating (B-Day).

I'll try to explain this a little better. One rope goes over limbs from two different trees. Tie off one end, then let the rope slack down between the two trees and tie your food bag on. Pull tight on the loose end which raises the food bag ito where it's in between the two trees. Then simply tie the loose end of the rope and you're done.

Hikerhead
12-29-2003, 22:35
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2068

I drew this. Signed copies on request.

illininagel
12-30-2003, 00:21
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2068

I drew this. Signed copies on request.

Hikerhead,

Thanks for the great tip and clear illustration. I can't tell you how much trouble I've had hanging my food on past trips. I dread the task before hitting the sack at night. This should help...it looks like I'll need to carry plenty of rope, though.

:jump

Blue Jay
12-30-2003, 08:44
I agree with almost everything that has been previously stated (amazing isn't it), however I would add on more thing. No matter how well you hang your bag a determined bear or raccoon can get it. My suggestion is to hang your pot with something in it as a warning bell and sleep close enough to hear it. If the animal has not yet actually got to the food you can scare them off.

smokymtnsteve
12-30-2003, 09:37
I agree with almost everything that has been previously stated (amazing isn't it), .

you feeling ok blue jay??????????

Blue Jay
12-30-2003, 09:56
you feeling ok blue jay??????????

Bite Me!!!!

DebW
12-30-2003, 13:17
Hikerhead or DebW:
Thanks

I've used this technique with both one and 2 cords. If you're hanging alot of weight (like 6 days food for 2 people) you may find it very difficult to lift the food up with the one-rope method because there will be alot of friction between the cord and the tree. In this case, hang a horizontal cord between 2 trees with a biner in the middle. Put a second rope through the biner (before you raise the first rope, that is) and lift the food on it. You don't damage trees this way. Another variation I use is to loop the cord over one tree branch near the trunk. Tie a loop in the end of the cord, put a biner through the loop, clip around the middle of the cord on the other side of the branch, and clip the food bag to the biner also. Now pull on the cord to raise the food bag (you may have to lift the food bag at the same time). Tie it off as high as you can reach to a different tree about 20 feet away so the food is between the 2 trees and 8-10 feet off the ground.

Jaybird
12-30-2003, 14:31
Steph:

ALL have been good suggestions...again, its what works best for you.

i like to keep it simple...i take ONE rope (small gauge climbing rope available from your local outfitters' store) & tie it directly to my foodbag (with 7 days worth of food in it) which has been bound tight with 2 or 3 double knots...then hang from limb AWAY FROM YOUR CAMP 10 - 15 feet off ground & about 6 feet out on limb away from tree trunk.

i've seen some "ultra-lite-ers" actually use twine!

good luck & happy hikin'!

Lone Wolf
12-30-2003, 14:41
A lot of folks like myself never hang food. We keep it in our tents.

Blue Jay
12-30-2003, 15:10
A lot of folks like myself never hang food. We keep it in our tents.

But not everyone smells as bad as you (sorry I could'nt resist).

No_trailname_yet
03-17-2004, 21:46
heya,

Anyone used an URSACK? (www.ursack.com (http://www.ursack.com))

At least the working premise is they use a super 'zip-lock' type bag that seals all the smells inside - if the critters don't know it's there, they won't try to get it.

Then the outer bag is a high-tech aramid fiber (if I remember right) bullet proof vest stuff.... Reasonably light too.

Anyways, they haven't gotten the 'stamp of approval' yet for use in some of the heavily populated grizzly bear areas - places where you're required to carry canisters - but I'd think it would be almost overkill for the black bears of the AT.

What was attractive to me was that I could just tie it directly to the trunk of a tree. Even if a bear found it and decided to use it as a chew toy, he supposedly can't tear the bag or pull the cord from the tree (read - if you tied/used it properly).

Since everything I'm bringing is pretty much powder already, I figure if it won't hurt if it gets some pre-chewed action. :)

Check out the video at the Ursack web site of their 'test' bear trying to get into the bag....

Jaybird
03-18-2004, 06:17
heya,

Anyone used an URSACK? (www.ursack.com (http://www.ursack.com)) .................................................. ..................

Heya:

have used URSACK (made of Kevlar..same material bullet-proof vests are made of)for several years now with much success. :D

good luck with your hike!

Peaks
03-18-2004, 09:11
I'm sure there are people out there who carry one, but I noticed very few if any along the AT. I don't think they are necessary along the AT. In many places where there are bear problems there are bear cables or bear boxes. For most of the AT, bears are not an issue, so just hang your food in the shelter.

Now, if I were camping in one of the popular areas in the Adirondacks, that's different.

Jaybird
03-19-2004, 06:23
I'm sure there are people out there who carry one, but I noticed very few if any along the AT................................. For most of the AT, bears are not an issue, so just hang your food in the shelter........................................

NEVER, EVER HANG FOOD IN A SHELTER!

Since a load of my hiking has been done in the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park (TN-NC)...i can attest to "bear problems".

Yes, there have been instances of peoples food bags being "swiped" by bears, stolen by bears, mangled by bears & nothing but a shredded bag left after the bear ripped the food storage bag to pieces of fabric getting to the sweet smelling items.

In the Smokies, you MUST hang your food....OUTSIDE the shelter on provided cables...i've even heard of instances that Park Rangers have levied fines to hikers that havent.

my first night of hiking in April 2002..@ the Springer Mtn Shelter...trail caretaker: Glen "Gizmo" Reynolds was watching for a "nuisance" bear that had stolen a few food bags in the previous week.

jersey joe
03-19-2004, 14:28
Jaybird,
I agree that in the Smokies, NJ and other places with large bear populations hikers should use the bear bag lines/boxes. The reality however is that Peaks is right, bears for the most part are not an issue and hikers mostly just hang their food in the shelters. Mice are the real problem.

Blue Jay
03-19-2004, 14:49
my first night of hiking in April 2002..@ the Springer Mtn Shelter...trail caretaker: Glen "Gizmo" Reynolds was watching for a "nuisance" bear that had stolen a few food bags in the previous week.

The "bear" on Springer is actually a very smart raccoon. I'm a light sleeper and I have a bell on my food bag. I've been there three times starting in '98'. I love to read the journals talking about the bear who gets their food, but no one sees it happen. I know it's the same one because he has a scar on his/her left ear. Most likely from a bear who is tired of taking the blame while getting no food. I swear he even sounds like a bear.

firefly
03-19-2004, 15:26
The Forest Service has posted signs all over the top of Springer with warnings about this Bear. I was up there last weekend and met several thru-hikers who had hiked up the approach trail intending to stay at the top but kept going when they saw the signs. Rumor had it that the bear comes around apprx 9:30 every nite. Maybe its a a very smart racoon in a bear suit :)

smokymtnsteve
03-19-2004, 16:12
down by the creek,
on a hollow log
shells of a crawfish
bones of a frog

late last night
by the dark of the moon
down by the spring
it was MR. RACCON

Happy
03-19-2004, 22:52
2002 was a VERY ACTIVE YEAR for bears at Springer, Stover Creek, Hawk and Gooch Gap! Hikers starting in late March and April lost food left and right from these locations! Last year, and so far this year the activity has been very low!

It will be interesting to see what the activity this year will be around April 1st to May 1st after many hikers have stayed in the shelters!!

smokymtnsteve
03-19-2004, 22:56
these past few warm days should cause bears to become more active also...

Youngblood
03-20-2004, 09:15
2002 was a VERY ACTIVE YEAR for bears at Springer, Stover Creek, Hawk and Gooch Gap! Hikers starting in late March and April lost food left and right from these locations! Last year, and so far this year the activity has been very low!

It will be interesting to see what the activity this year will be around April 1st to May 1st after many hikers have stayed in the shelters!!

I think the seminar for "Sure Fire Ways to Snatch Hiker's Food" is in late March, after the bears have had a chance to wake up and be fully attentive. That is when we will get a chance to see what the '04 Bears are made of. From what I heard, I think the Georgia Bears may have won last years contest. Anyone know what the point spread is between this years Hikers & Bears Food Bag Contest?

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
03-20-2004, 09:26
My son smokymtnred started north from springer thursday a week ago (march11) and is now in NC...I have spoke with him twice (neels gap and blueberry patch)
he made no mention of any bears...then again he ALWAYS hangs his food bag.

Youngblood
03-20-2004, 09:50
<snip> I have a bell on my food bag. <snip>

That is pretty cleaver, but I had always figured that stealth had a lot to do with securing my food bag when I hang it from a tree. If the wind is blowing, does the bell become annoying, or worse yet, does it change from a 'warning bell' to a 'dinner bell'? I guess in black bear country we would know if we found 'dinner bells' in the bear scat.

Youngblood

Jaybird
03-20-2004, 10:57
The "bear" on Springer is actually a very smart raccoon........................................... ..................

The "bear" on Springer is REALLY a BEAR!

and there have been several over the years..."Gizmo" has taken pictures of the bear several times....because they have to remove them from "people populated" areas once they become a "nuisance". If they come back...then they either ship them to a zoo (or wildlife sanctuary) type atmosphere (if there are any takers) or they have to be "destroyed."

again, i know these forums have had many posts against RULES, but in the Smokies...(heavily populated with Bears) you have to stay in shelters & you have to hang your food OUTSIDE the shelters.