PDA

View Full Version : Bugs, Bugs, Bugs

kayak karl
01-21-2008, 20:48
i posted earlier about black flies. was checking into a bug shirt/jacket. what type have u tried, successfully:). i react to bug bites, would like to limit my benadryl usage. im leaving SOBO june 4th. i got the chemical for the clothes (Permethrin) and the deet. or is a head net enough.

Hike Safe

Javasanctum
01-21-2008, 20:54
Deet Bath, I'll take my chances with Chemicals over bugs. I've had some nasty bites through clothing before.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2008, 21:24
Early June SOBO? You'll still get bit even if you use all the right stuff - but Permethrin, DEET, headnet over hat, long pants tucked into socks or gaiters, and long sleeve shirt will help. Campfires help, as does trying to stop for breaks where there's a breeze(black flies don't fly well). A good tent/bugscreen can be a Godsend. The bug population tends to be very variable. You'll be innundated with them in some places but they'll thin out a lot in others - good places to stop to eat/camp.

Pokey2006
01-21-2008, 21:32
When camping, remember that black flies like running water, and mosquitoes like standing water.

Forget the old rule that you're not supposed to eat in your tent.

Along with all the other things mentioned (a visor and head net are essential), don't forget to bring a light pair of gloves to protect your hands.

ScottP
01-21-2008, 22:13
try leaving nobo on june 4th.

Tinker
01-21-2008, 22:33
I have an Outdoor Research bug jacket which works well. The 'skeeters can still bite where the mesh is pressed against the skin (where the pack meets the back and shoulder straps). I use a fair amount of deet on the mesh as well as permethrin on pants (for ticks). Permethrin seems to thwart most flying things, too, but they'll still follow you and catch you when you stop or go uphill.

kayak karl
01-21-2008, 22:42
try leaving nobo on june 4th.
i can leave any day, but i noticed that the SOBO growd were older. more my age. id rather put up with the bugs:D

kayak karl
01-21-2008, 22:50
I have an Outdoor Research bug jacket which works well. The 'skeeters can still bite where the mesh is pressed against the skin (where the pack meets the back and shoulder straps). I use a fair amount of deet on the mesh as well as permethrin on pants (for ticks). Permethrin seems to thwart most flying things, too, but they'll still follow you and catch you when you stop or go uphill.
is it like this http://www.bugshirt.com/diagrams.htm

hammock engineer
01-22-2008, 10:05
i can leave any day, but i noticed that the SOBO growd were older. more my age. id rather put up with the bugs:D

The start of the wilderness to middle seemed way worse than the end to after. If you are not afraid of the rain or lightning try staying higher up. The low lands seemed to be the worst to me.

Oh and remind every northbounder you see how bad the bugs are. They love that.:D