PDA

View Full Version : What's the most physically challenging 100 mile section?

jackpot
01-22-2008, 01:50
I have 10 days at the end of May to hike a 100 mile section of the AT. I’m in pretty good condition, and would like a physical challenge. I’d appreciate some advice on what 100 mile section of the trail is the most physically challenging? Thanx:)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 02:03
Southern Maine.

Mountain Dew
01-22-2008, 06:16
Find the steepest hill on the A.T. that you can get to from a road and hike up and back down the thing over and over till you give up. Heck stay at your house everynight if you wish. lol

fiddlehead
01-22-2008, 06:35
I don't know about physical challenge but, that 1st step always seems like the toughest to me.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 06:51
I have 10 days at the end of May to hike a 100 mile section of the AT. I’m in pretty good condition, and would like a physical challenge. I’d appreciate some advice on what 100 mile section of the trail is the most physically challenging? Thanx:)

Try Pinkham Notch, N.H. to Stratton, Maine. That may be what you're lookin' for.

nitewalker
01-22-2008, 08:32
Try Pinkham Notch, N.H. to Stratton, Maine. That may be what you're lookin' for.

stole my thunder..........perfect 100..................

Marta
01-22-2008, 10:08
I would say Stratton, ME, to Pinkham Notch. SOBO, of course.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-22-2008, 18:00
Yep.. Pinkham Notch to Stratton. (about 130 miles)
But do it NOBO......that climb up Wildcat is a nice way to start your first day !!!

Or you could start at Crawford Notch & finish at Rangeley (124 miles) This adds in the climb up Webster Cliffs & Mt Washington & the descent of Mt Madison (my knees hurt just thinking about that day) It does mean that you miss Saddleback & Crocker Mtn at the northern end though :-(

Cheers,

Kaptain

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2008, 18:06
Be aware that late May in the White Mountains and Maine can mean winterlike conditions.

Plan for this, and equip yourself appropriately if you pick these sections. And carry extra food as snow, slush, or mud on the Trail will slow you down some.

Depending on your level of hiking experience, Vermont might be a better idea at this time of year. It'll be muddy, but lots safer.

Tin Man
01-22-2008, 18:57
As a point of reference, the North side of Moosilauke still had 2-3 feet of snow on the trail the weekend before Memorial Day 2007. It was a slow go.

Peaks
01-22-2008, 19:12
Be aware that late May in the White Mountains and Maine can mean winterlike conditions.

Plan for this, and equip yourself appropriately if you pick these sections. And carry extra food as snow, slush, or mud on the Trail will slow you down some.

Depending on your level of hiking experience, Vermont might be a better idea at this time of year. It'll be muddy, but lots safer.

Being mud season, it's best to stay off the trails. Foot traffic can do a lot of damage while the frost is coming out of the ground. Maintaining clubs like the Green Mountain Club encourage hikers to stay off the trails until Memorial Day, especially the high trails. In Vermont, several 4000 footers are closed until Memorial Day.

HighlanderII
01-22-2008, 19:28
VT can be muddy, wet, cold and lonely in late May. I'd pick a section further south (maybe CT on south).

Instead of picking a 100 mile difficult section (which you are constrained by it being so early in the season), why not pick a section and go as far as you can for the time you have available. In the southern states you might be able to push out 150 miles (15 mile days) for the same comparative difficulty of a 100 mile section (10 mile days) in the the northern states (VT, NH, ME). If you're really in shape you should be able to push out 200-300 miles (20-30 mile days) in the southern states for the equivalent 100 mile section in the north (mainly your distance is daylight and pace limited). Worst case if the distance turns out to be too much, you could shorten up and pull out early.

jackpot
01-22-2008, 19:39
Thanks for all your suggestions.. looks like Stratton, ME, to Pinkham Notch might be the challenge I'm looking for, although I may postpone the trip for a month or so to let the trail dry up a bit.

I hiked the Ice Age Trail last year, it's nice but rather flat and alot of road walking. Just want to get my heart rate up....Born and raised in PA, this WI flat land just doesn't do it for me!!

Mountain Dew, I have know idea what your reply is gettin at...is it some attempt to discourage me from hiking the AT???????

SlowLightTrek
01-22-2008, 20:07
I think the Mahoosucs were more difficult than the Whites.

Cookerhiker
01-22-2008, 21:49

I agree with this. I don't have my mileage summary handy (I'm traveling) so I'm not sure whether this is 100 miles but I'd say from Gorham past Stratton to go over the Bigalows and finish at the Kennebec.

But as others have said, late May is not a good time to hike this stretch. If you're willing to wait a month, the mud will be less vexing but you'll still have black flies & mosquitoes.

Kirby
01-22-2008, 23:07
The best time for Maine hiking is, IMO, September into early October.

Kirby

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 23:11
My wife (BadAss Turtle) and I went back to hike 100 mile sections in Maine in 2006 and 2007. All I can say is that it was a lot harder to hike it as sections than it was to hike it as part of my thru in 2003.

I'd have to agree that southern Maine includes some of the toughest 10 day hikes up and down the trail.

'Slogger

Bluebearee
01-22-2008, 23:12

Agreed, I tried to tell my buddies not to let their guard down after Gorham, the hard work isn't over yet. IMO the 33 miles of the Mahoosuc Range is the hardest section of the whole trail. I like the suggestion here of Pinkham to Stratton though, you'll get your heart rate up!!

NOBO of course.