PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Laurel Designs - Patrol Shelter

stranger
01-22-2008, 02:55
Just thought I would post this because I have recently come across the Patrol Shelter from MLD and I am very impressed by this design. Unlike many lightweight tarps out there, this shelter has been well thought out.

First off, it has a closed foot so that you can sleep deeper into the tarp without fear of rain blowing in the foot opening at the end of your tarp.

Second, you can order it with an optional front beak that will increase the weather protection substantially, also both the front and rear beaks are fixed so it will be much easier to setup as you don't really have much guesswork.

Third, it's designed to use a trekking pole inside the tarp, handle side up, so that you don't have to mess around with running a guy line from the peak to the pole, then to the ground. Just guy the beak to the ground.

Fourth, the tarp utilizes line locs so that you can tighten your shelter firmly without adjusting your stakes. Finally, it has a range of fabrics so if you cannot swing the more expensive spinnaker fabric you can get one in silnylon for a modest price.

Check it out at www.mountainlaureldesigns.com, it's worth the look.

Dirtygaiters
01-22-2008, 03:37
Vey cool. It's like the Golite Lair but it's actually lightweight! I'd go for the open ended version, though. For the permanent beak, you have to crawl to get into the thing. If only MLD made an opening/closing beak on the Patrol shelter like on the [not very light] Golite Hut. Also, the addition of the line tensioners is a major plus. Only, I think it's going to cause problems with some customers that MLD is not including the additional 0.35oz in the base weight...

BTW- did you see theier new Superfly shelter? Just as cool, though a bit pricier and heavier.

ScottP
01-22-2008, 04:00
I'd say that the patrol shelter with beaks would be my ideal AT shelter (other than the cost)

scavenger
01-22-2008, 09:34
Looks nice. I have a golite hut1 thats a very similar design (closed foot, treking pole inside for support, line locks) but also has a fully closeable zippered door. Maybe ill butcher it to turn the front into a beak and remove the zipper. Would probably save me at least 3-4 ounces I would imagine...

take-a-knee
01-22-2008, 10:11
Is the patrol shelter innovative or just a copy:

http://www.kifaru.net/supertarp.htm

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 10:14
[quote=stranger;508419]Just thought I would post this because I have recently come across the Patrol Shelter from MLD and I am very impressed by this design. Unlike many lightweight tarps out there, this shelter has been well thought out.

==================================

Nice simple shelter. Very similar in design to the GoLite Cave I ...

'Slogger

ScottP
01-22-2008, 13:56
It's very similar to a Jardine style tarp, really.

Lyle
01-22-2008, 14:39
Nice simple shelter. Very similar in design to the GoLite Cave I ...

'Slogger

That's what I was thinking. I have the Cave and it works great, but this is lighter.