PDA

View Full Version : Ground cloths

gearfreak
01-22-2008, 11:03
OK, her we go again.

I need to find a good, lightweight, yet reasonably priced, ground cloth for my tent. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kirby

:-? I've seen plenty of threads like this one, all with mixed, but valid opinions. So, what's the consensus . . .

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 11:06
i never use one. what's the point? they're a PIA.

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 11:10
Bringing a groundcloth is as handy as bringing radiator. you just don't need one.

SlowLightTrek
01-22-2008, 11:11
I followed a link a few days ago to a lightweight durable weave plastic usable as a groundcloth, cheap and extremely light. I wish I had saved a link but I didn't. Maybe someone knows.

SlowLightTrek
01-22-2008, 11:15
I followed a link a few days ago to a lightweight durable weave plastic usable as a groundcloth, cheap and extremely light. I wish I had saved a link but I didn't. Maybe someone knows.

wait here it is: http://www.rplastics.com/mylar.html

Seeker
01-22-2008, 12:34
i sleep in a hammock under a tarp, so i never use one.

if you mean a groundcloth to put under a tent, to 'protect it', i've never used one, and don't see the need for it.

if you mean something waterproof for a floor in a tarp setup, i used one when i was in transition between tents and hammocks, and would continue to do so if i didn't have a hammock.

Pauline Houle
01-22-2008, 12:59
Followed a suggestion to Gossamergear. The ground cloth I got weighs only 1 0z.! Seems pretty turdy.

Pauline Houle
01-22-2008, 13:01
I meant pretty sturdy.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-22-2008, 18:42
i use a ground cloth. for my tent or under my sleeping bag in a shelter.

vaporjourney
01-22-2008, 22:36
I NEVER use a groundcloth under my tent. I do carry one if I'm using a tarp, but that's the small minority here. The only real reason I'd use one on the AT if using a tent would be incase you'd like to sleep in the shelters. I've seen a few people get holes in their inflatable pads in the shelters with no ground cloth. Then again, many don't use one and never get a puncture. Just be careful and save the weight!

If you do want a ground cloth, I recommend getting simple 2 mil painters drop cloth. It's stronger than you think. Plus, saves you about 4 ounces or so over heavy tyvek.

partinj
01-22-2008, 22:48
Ok i was gone to bring groundcloth for shelter and to help block the wind while in the shelter i seen on trailjounals and here in the picture sect where they put the tarp up to help block the wind i don't how they held it up maybe duck tape that the two main reasons i was gone to bring one.

Bearpaw
01-22-2008, 22:51
I use a groundcloth (clear plastic painter's drop cloth)when I tarp.

I use a company-made "footprint" when I leave the tent body at home and go with just poles and fly. The footprint is what holds the poles in place for the fly.

Otherwise, why bother?

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 22:51
I have NO choice ...I now use the Wild Oasis (Six Moon Designs) and it is floorless.

'Slogger

Boudin
01-23-2008, 00:25
I almost always tarp so I use one, but never when I tent.

88BlueGT
01-29-2008, 00:46
The only thing is that a painters drop cloth will get soaked and they take FOREVER to try and dry... I know this from experience.

rafe
01-29-2008, 00:51
If you have a tent, there's no need.

dessertrat
01-29-2008, 00:53
I have NO choice ...I now use the Wild Oasis (Six Moon Designs) and it is floorless.

'Slogger

Can't you just put your pad down on some pine needles and cowboy it?

I figure the floor of my tent is a groundcloth. Because it is cloth and it is on the ground.

mark schofield
08-26-2008, 08:14
A piece of Tyvek about 3'x6' under the thermarest so it doesn't get punctured or ripped.

mtnkngxt
08-26-2008, 08:51
I havent used one, but when you get to the rockier sections on the trail I could see needing one so you dont rip the bottom of your tent.

Monkeywrench
08-26-2008, 08:52
I carry a piece of Tyvek sized to fit under my tent. If I sleep in a shelter instead of in my tent, I use the Tyvek under my pad and sleeping bag on the shelter floor.

BadIdea
08-26-2008, 08:52
I only use one when tarping, sometimes not even then.

Lyle
08-26-2008, 08:59
Gossamer Gear. Been using the same one since '05. Granted, not heavily used. Under tent/tarp/hammock or on the floor of shelters to provide a "clean" spot to lay. Very much worth the price and weight. Keep it handy and you have a sit pad when things are wet.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

SmokeHouse
08-26-2008, 13:49
I made a floorless 1.1oz silnylon tarp and tipi and use a 2ml dropcloth under pad and bag.

Safety Pins
08-26-2008, 14:40
I use a very light plastic tablecloth from the dollar store, folded once to a double thickness, under my BA one-person tent. Has held up fine and the price was right!
Safety Pins

mudcap
08-26-2008, 19:23
ditto,same here.

Slo-go'en
08-26-2008, 23:59
I use tyvek. Durrable and puncture resistant. I like to keep the bottom of my tent clean and is extra protection against water wicking up into the floor of the tent. I also don't want to ware out or puncture the bottom of my $230 tent! Also as mensioned before, its good for keeping the sleeping bag clean when in a dirty shelter, eliminating drafts or breathing in all the dust with your head on the planks. It can be used as an impromto shelter in a heavy down pour.

One last use for a Tyvek ground cloth, a lady I was hiking with last year in PA used hers as a toga when she had to wash everything she owned.

Lyle
08-27-2008, 07:54
One last use for a Tyvek ground cloth, a lady I was hiking with last year in PA used hers as a toga when she had to wash everything she owned.

This wouldn't work with the Gossamer Gear ground cloth as it is perfectly clear like a window, hmmmm...

But I digress, it does make a very serviceable solar still for those dessert hikers out there.

Dogwood
08-27-2008, 20:51
Although it doesn't last forever(little does), I've successfully employed the SUL waterproof polycro ground cloth sold by Gossamer Gear. I believe it's actually made from the same light wt. material that covers your cleaned clothes when U get your clothes back from the the dry cleaners. GG sells them relatively cheap and they give U 2 of them for the price. They will provide little insulation with the ground and some find them a bit slippery. And, of course, there is always Tyvek, which gives U waterproof thermal insulation from the ground. Or, get a hammock or waterproof bivy sack U and U can forget the groundcloth.

yaduck9
08-27-2008, 21:59
With my tarp, I use a piece of Tyvek that is twice the width of my Big Agnus air mattress. Prevents punctures. I store it in one of the outside pockets of my Gossamer Gear mariposa Plus. I can also whip out the Tyvek and place the mariposa plus on it.

Tyvek = cheap, Mariposa, Big Agnus = expensive.

You can find Tyvek on ebay.