PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear.... When?

10-K
01-22-2008, 11:23
Scenario: You're going on a 3-4 day section hike and loading your pack. There is no rain in the forecast.

Question: Do you still take rain gear?

If not, what is the "x% chance of rain" that you do take something to wear that'll keep you dry?

My thinking is that if there is no rain in the forecast and I'm only going to be out 3-4 days then I could (maybe?) get away with taking my .99 cent Wally World emergency poncho. Anything over 20% I'll switch to my DriDucks. What gives me pause with this plan is that the whole DriDucks ensemble only weighs 9 oz - why not just take them and leave the elcheapo poncho at home......

Thanks,
Thomas

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 11:26
always have some rain gear

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 11:33
I always have some sort of rain gear. For 1 thing mountain forecasts are uncertain at best.

Summer rain gear is minimal, cause the result of getting wet is to spend time in misery.

Winter rain gear is much more substantial, cause the result of getting wet can be life-threatening

DCHiker
01-22-2008, 11:43
No rain gear = 100% chance of rain.

Just one of those weird natural facts of life

scope
01-22-2008, 11:43
always have some rain gear

Except in the summer in GA. Well, a pack cover and dry set of clothes, but no personal rain gear needed.

10-K
01-22-2008, 11:45

Yep.... you're probably right about that....

Alligator
01-22-2008, 11:47
I always bring it. (On the AT. If I was in the desert that would be different.) Do you trust the weatherman that much:-?? As Envirodiver puts out, mountain forcasts can be iffy. Most times the weather stations are not located where you are hiking and can be a lot lower in elevation too. If such is the case, where you are headed will be colder and the humidity higher.

Tipi Walter
01-22-2008, 11:47
The weather pinheads can't exactly tell if it will rain on the mountain you'll be hiking, you can't rely on their so-called forecasts to predict much of anything, so I always bring my rain jacket.

scope
01-22-2008, 11:48
Summer rain gear is minimal, cause the result of getting wet is to spend time in misery.

In my book, the only good thing about hiking in the summer in the south, is the near daily thunderstorm that cleanses my already wet body. I could do without the lightning thing, though. :rolleyes:

-SEEKER-
01-22-2008, 11:50
I always take rain gear. Since mine is Goretex it also doubles as an extra layer of warmth if needed.

Newb
01-22-2008, 11:52
late April last year on Blue Mountain it was in the 70s on the south slope (where the trail breaks off to go to the source of the Chattahoochee). Then it started raining. By the top of the mountain it was in the 40s at Blue mtn. shelter and everyone was soaking with sweat under their rain gear. What misery.

Oh, and I had no dry t-shirt because I left it at Walasi-yi.

My big dilemna is whether to take frogg toggs or use a poncho arrangement. I sweat like crazy in rain gear.

scavenger
01-22-2008, 11:52
My Golite poncho weighs 10oz and packs to the size of a softball. Might as well bring it.

Mountain Laurel Designs makes a poncho thats only 3.6 oz but costs $170. The Golite is just $50 bucks, or you can make one yourself.

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 11:57
Scenario: You're going on a 3-4 day section hike and loading your pack. There is no rain in the forecast.

Question: Do you still take rain gear?

If not, what is the "x% chance of rain" that you do take something to wear that'll keep you dry?

My thinking is that if there is no rain in the forecast and I'm only going to be out 3-4 days then I could (maybe?) get away with taking my .99 cent Wally World emergency poncho. Anything over 20% I'll switch to my DriDucks. What gives me pause with this plan is that the whole DriDucks ensemble only weighs 9 oz - why not just take them and leave the elcheapo poncho at home......

Thanks,
Thomas
======================================

Personally, I always take some form of rain gear. Most often it is just a lightweight (6 ounce) silnylon anorak pullover. Depending on the season and temperatures though, I generally don't actually end up wearing it.

Hiking in raingear is like hiking in a sauna - breathable or nonbreathable types. If the rain starts falling on a warm day, as long as my pack/contents stay dry I don't mind getting wet ...in fact it can be downright refreshing.

That said, if there is alot of moisture in the air from fog or rain and the temps are low you are well advised to wear some form of barrier to hold body temperature in and avoid evaporative cooling which can bring on hypothermia.

'Slogger

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 11:59
In the summer when I know it can't get dangerously cold (low altitude) I only take an emergency poncho. I figure I'll get wet and then dry out.

Fiddleback
01-22-2008, 12:08
Being wet correlates with two of the survival goals; stay warm and have shelter. Either don't get wet or have a quick option to get dry and stay dry. For short weather events rain gear seems to be the most convenient, quickest and perhaps most effective way to make sure you stay dry.

But it's not an absolute. Depending on conditions and where you are, a 'little' wet is easily tolerated. If you get caught in a thunderstorm without rain gear it's much easier to recover if you're in the arid Rocky Mountain west in August than if you're on the damp AT in April.

Watch the forecasts and pack accordingly. But, IMO, the further away from 'civilization' you are and the more mountainous the trail area, the less reliable the weather forecasts. Personally, I don't go out with anything less than a lightweight silnylon poncho (which has dual use). I also have a lightweight rain suit and heavier ponchos and GoreTex parkas. I seldom carry those but, given our multi-year drought, I seldom see rain, either. (I've worn rain gear once this decade:( )

Match your rain gear with where you are when for how long.

FB

Johnny Swank
01-22-2008, 12:09
I always carry something. If anything, you can improvise with your groundcloth/tarp/tentfly, but that's not alot of fun. Risking hypothermia to save 6 ounces ain't worth it to me.

kyhiker1
01-22-2008, 13:01
My mottos is always "BE PREPARED"just like in the BSA.Weather patterns are forever changing,some on short notice.I like to pack Dri-Ducks just in case and at only 9oz is better than risking hypothermia.

jesse
01-22-2008, 13:15
My Golite poncho weighs 10oz and packs to the size of a softball. Might as well bring it.

I agree. Mine is a homemade poncho that weighs 7oz. It doesn't make sense not to take it.

JAK
01-22-2008, 13:57
Here is my bare minimum for a 3-5 day in summer:
0. Some sort of runner that isn't too heavy when wet.
1. 1oz 1pr wool dress socks.
2. 4oz polyester skin layer pants.
3. 6oz nylon hiking shorts
4. 8oz merino wool shirt
5. 4oz nylon wind shirt
6. wide brimmed hat
7. 9oz rain poncho/tarp incl. cord/nails
8. blue foam pad
9. sleeping bag or quilt or blanket
10. all that other stuff

I don't always put the wind shirt or poncho on when it rains, but I think I would leave my sleeping bag home before I would leave my rain gear home. If I was to be hiking in full sun I would likely bring a white long sleeved polyester skin layer shirt also, for sun protection.

Mocs123
01-22-2008, 14:18
One trip a few years back, I was planning a trip and the weather forcast called for a 0% chance of rain. I almost left my rain gear at home, but I am glad I didn't. It rained HARD for 9 hours straight the second day of the trip. Temps were in the 50's so I probably wouldn't have died without my raingear, but I would have been very uncofortable.

River Runner
01-22-2008, 14:28
Always take some sort of rain gear. It varies by season and chance of rain. The least I ever took was a water resistant wind shirt plus a cheap Wallyworld plastic poncho. Usually it's Dri-Ducks, but if I really expect a lot of rain in cooler temperatures I'll take Frogg Toggs.

take-a-knee
01-22-2008, 14:30
Except in the summer in GA. Well, a pack cover and dry set of clothes, but no personal rain gear needed.

Then you take a silnylon poncho and it is you and your packs' rain gear.

Peaks
01-22-2008, 19:17
My rain gear doubles as wind protection. In summer, the only long pants I carry is my rain pants.

LIhikers
01-22-2008, 20:29
Depending on the time of year I take at least my rain jacket, and maybe pants too. Keep in mind they work as wind breakers if needed and if the night time temperatures dip lower than expected they can help keep you warm when you sleep too.

gumball
01-22-2008, 21:07
I always take something, usually at least a FroggToggs top. I don't take rainpants in the heat of the summer, but the top can double for a little extra layer if the evening cools off.

Plus, if I don't take it, its bound to rain....

Lilred
01-22-2008, 21:37
The Appalachian Mountain Range is the second largest rain forest in the world. You decide.

10-K
01-22-2008, 21:42
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Clothing to deal with wet weather shall have a place in my pack on every trip, regardless of the forecast. Only makes sense really.

Thanks
Thomas

dixicritter
01-22-2008, 21:45
My rain gear doubles as wind protection. In summer, the only long pants I carry is my rain pants.

I do the same thing. A dual use item.

Boudin
01-23-2008, 00:41
I always carry at least a rain coat. It can rain anytime in the mountains, even during a drought. If it is summer time, I will usually leave my rain gear packed away and just get wet. I will be wet from sweat anyway. When I get to camp, I put on dry clothes and my rain gear. No sense getting wet going to the spring or to take a leak.

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 08:48

Even if it doesnt rain, you may need it if for some reason YOU get wet.
IMO raingear always has to be in there.

unl1988
01-23-2008, 09:54
I always carry rain gear, but just a top in the summer. If you do happen to get wet, having some rain gear gives you something to put on and get warm, especially if there is some wind involved. A dry t-shirt and a rain jacket will go a long way towards that.

Just a reminder, always waterproof your gear, no matter what the weatherman says. Nothing worse than getting wet and realizing that everything your carrying is now wet and heavier. A few extra ounces of ziplocs, trash compactor bags and pack cover will save you a few pounds of wet, soggy gear.

maxNcathy
01-23-2008, 09:58
If you leave your "heavy" rain gear at home bring a large garbage bag at least.
You may be glad you did.

JAK
01-23-2008, 10:04
That's very good advice. Just getting by on a large garbage bag can be lots of fun also. Then again some nylon wind shirts are just about as light, though less waterproof, but if you wear mostly wool underneath that sort of clothing is very forgiving, so you don't need heavy rain gear and are often better off without it. I still bring my poncho/tarp though.

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 12:45
I do the bag trick at NASCAR races. Gives me a little more room in the small container I can take in for 1 more can

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 14:12

Only if you're a wimp. If you long distance hike you will be spending considerable time wet, rain gear or not. Get used to it, your skin is waterproof.

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 14:14
It can rain anytime in the mountains, even during a drought. If it is summer time, I will usually leave my rain gear packed away and just get wet. I will be wet from sweat anyway. When I get to camp, I put on dry clothes and my rain gear.

Yea, someone who gets it.

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 07:49
Only if you're a wimp. If you long distance hike you will be spending considerable time wet, rain gear or not. Get used to it, your skin is waterproof.

Absolutely, however you still have it in case you think its time to put it on.
I believe, in cooler weather, a mental regard to hyerthermia should be noted when the weather gets crappy.

You should always be cognizant of what weather will impact your internal thermostat.

Kerosene
01-24-2008, 11:01
I always bring something, as mountains can make their own weather. If temperatures are also likely to be warm, then I might consider swapping out my eVent gear for a lightweight DWR windshirt and windpants. I'd also want to make sure that I have bail-out options, just in case.

jhick
01-24-2008, 11:05
The Appalachian Mountain Range is the second largest rain forest in the world. You decide.

Are you joking?

JAK
01-24-2008, 11:11
In summer the biggest risk of hypothermia would be if you were up in an exposed area, going really hard on a sunny day so you get exhausted, then bonk, perhaps even with some sun and heat stroke on top of that, then a cold front comes in and you get rained upon. That's why you always need rain gear or wind gear in summer when you go up into exposed places. It's not so much for while you are hiking with a full head of steam on, but in case you bonk, then get hit.

mriets1
01-24-2008, 13:50
What is the rule for rain pants? Alway bring them in winter and optional for summer?

scavenger
01-24-2008, 14:03
No rules, you decide.

Johnny Swank
01-24-2008, 15:19
I almost always carry either homemade silnylon rainpants (3.5 oz) or a rainkilt (2.5 oz), even in the summer. They're rarely used, but drifting into hypothermia is a bad way to spend the day.

WalkingStick75
01-24-2008, 20:31
Last August I was hiking over Whitecap in ME, South side was downpour rain, on the summit it was sleeting and on the North side it was Sunny.

Always carry rain gear.

Spirit Walker
01-24-2008, 22:42
I always carry rain gear and something for warmth, since I have gotten hypothermic in mid-summer after walking in an all day drizzle. I don't trust weather forecasts, especially in the east, plus mountains can make their own weather.

t-bor
01-25-2008, 04:07
i always take rain pants but i have left the jacket out of a few summer time trips

ScottP
01-25-2008, 04:57
If there is very little/no chance of windy weather below the mid/low 50's then I take a windbreaker instead of a rainjacket. You can use a windbreaker+poncho tarp and get down to the mid/upper 40's if it isn't that exposed. I always carry a fleece windstop hat--it's pretty warm even when it gets damp, and it never really gets sopping wet.

I had one very cold experience in the mid/lower 30's with cold, windy, exposed rain and just a poncho-tarp. Not recommended, but I didn't really expect those temperatures in Washington in August. Oh well, it takes a lot to kill you.

The most hypothermic I've ever gotten? When I had the flu and tried to go to class instead of staying in my warm bed at home, although that experience in Washington was probably close.