PDA

View Full Version : To all the Nasayers...

Pages : [1] 2 3

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:01
Well to all of you out there who felt that I am not experienced enougfht for the trip I guess I would have to say that I feel sorry for you... To speak about a person in a way that would actually try to discourage him on his dreams.... For your information I walk a 12 minute mile with a 40 Lb pack...and that is not flat lands either...

People talk about what the body can and cannot do really don't know what they are capable of doing until they try....

As for me I know what My body can do and I improve on my efforts everyday... When you deep down inside and see you are just sitting here wanting to laugh at me for this, that is fine atleast you are leaving someone else alone....

I have read all the other posts that were left on my last thread and was hurt by most of what was said and cannot believe that some people can be so mean because they are afraid to try something new or are afraid of adventure...and for your information 5mph isn't even close to jogging...I have no clue where yall got that from....

Bare in Mind this thread is for all those out there who are just out to out someone because they like to see people fail so they feel better about who they are.....

This hike is not about bragging rights and if I feel I can't make it then I will just walk the trail...no biggie...

No matter how odd someones dreams are and how they want to achieve them I would never degrade them.....

I nkow someone will run and have this thread closed like they did to my last one so have at it ...it just shows how childish you are...

scavenger
01-22-2008, 12:02
here comes another epic thread

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:05
i'm no naysayer. i'm a truth speaker. 30 days with no support can not be done. period. :)

jersey joe
01-22-2008, 12:06
Nothing wrong with trying...when are you starting and are you posting any updates anywhere?

woodsy
01-22-2008, 12:07
Go wildcowboy!

Alligator
01-22-2008, 12:09
I nkow someone will run and have this thread closed like they did to my last one so have at it ...it just shows how childish you are...Your thread was closed because people were bashing the hell out of you. It was done as a kindness.

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:14
Ok 30 days is possible... if you know how to plan and execute your plans... The human body is a wonderful thing and once you realize how far you can go you will be amazed...
Once everything falls into place what matters most is, as long as you maintain a good diet coupled with a strong will nothing is impossible....

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:16
Your thread was closed because people were bashing the hell out of you. It was done as a kindness.

Someone emailed me and told me a group got together and petitioned to get my thread closed..that is why I posted this thread the way I did... Now that I know the truth I feel bad.... TY:)

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 12:18
Good luck to you. I am still a naysayer, but the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

Pass the popcorn, will you. . . I'm sure the folks on here will get going on you whether you say anything more or not.

Wilson
01-22-2008, 12:18
Have a good hike.

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 12:19
donate ten dollars and edit then

jesse
01-22-2008, 12:20
you would have to travel 72 miles every day. I doubt you can travel 72 miles on any single day.

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:20
lol....and the fun starts.....

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 12:21
I honestly have my doubts, but I also doubted we could put men on the moon, people doubted that anyone could ever run a 4 min. mile. Lot's of things have occured that people said could never be done.

So best of luck to you and I hope that it works out for you with no lasting injury.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:22
lol....and the fun starts.....

you shoulda posted this in the humor forum. it is funny :D

jersey joe
01-22-2008, 12:26
cowboy, saying it is possible is one thing but what would you put your odds on actually accomplishing this?

Johnny Thunder
01-22-2008, 12:27
you shoulda posted this in the humor forum. it is funny :D

I was having a borring day in the office...now I'm just having a day in the office.

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:32
cowboy, saying it is possible is one thing but what would you put your odds on actually accomplishing this?
you know yes I believe I will accomplish this... as far as odds go everything in life is 50/50 no matter how you look at it... but when you put your mind to something and you want it heart and soul, wether you achieve it atleast you gave it a shot....

scavenger
01-22-2008, 12:39
everything in life is 50/50 no matter how you look at it...

hahaha ok jump off a cliff

Thoughtful Owl
01-22-2008, 12:39
Cowboy, will you be posting on Trail Journal or some where we can follow along on your journey?

Jaybird62
01-22-2008, 12:40
Go for it_ there is only one way you are gonna prove you can do it....
Best of luck to you

Hooch
01-22-2008, 12:40
Cowboy, will you be posting on Trail Journal or some where we can follow along on your journey?Having to average 72.5 miles per day, I doubt he'll have time. :D:eek:

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 12:41
sounds like he is not going to have any time to do anything but hike

Smile
01-22-2008, 12:41
Hi Cowboy, I wish you the best in your training stages and on your hike this spring :)

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2008, 12:43
Cowboy, what will you do when (if) you feel there's no way you're going to be able to do this in 30 days? Will you keep going, even if you are on track for a 3 or 4 month hike or will you just quit?

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:45
Cowboy, what will you do when (if) you feel there's no way you're going to be able to do this in 30 days? Will you keep going, even if you are on track for a 3 or 4 month hike or will you just quit?

I plan on walking the trail reguardless wether I make the 30 or not... Quiting is not in my vocabulary....:)

Smile
01-22-2008, 12:46
Good for you! :)

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:46
the tune is changing

hammock engineer
01-22-2008, 12:48
Hmmm halfing the unsupported record. I think my next hike might go the other way, the longest conintuous thru hike. Now that seems like fun.

Smile
01-22-2008, 12:50
This could become the longest thread on the shortest hike...... :)

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:51
This could become the longest thread on the shortest hike...... :)

......that never happened. this thread is an obvious joke. can't believe i'm getting sucked in. entertainment i guess :)

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:52
Cowboy, will you be posting on Trail Journal or some where we can follow along on your journey?

I am working on a website right now when I have the chance that is....lol... but yes I will be posting....when I can't my wife will do it once she hears from me....

You know, when you look at it, when someone blasts me on here I have to look at the whole picture.... Although I do actually care what everyone says but when it comes down to it, my Family being behind me no matter what is truly all that I will need to keep me going and trust me if you knew my wife you would understand that she is the biggest skeptic in the world and she just wants me to walk the trail no matter what...

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:53
......that never happened. this thread is an obvious joke. can't believe i'm getting sucked in. entertainment i guess :)

If you don't like what is said or don't want to read it then pick another thread... you didn't get sucked into anything.... you are just here to blast me.... so Have fun:)

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:55
i feel sorry for you

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:58
i feel sorry for you
Why????....:)

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 13:01
30 days, 2175 miles, 3 miles per hour 24 hours per day

sorry is not the word for it

GOOD LUCK

Wanderingson
01-22-2008, 13:06
I have nothing further to add to this thread.:banana:banana:banana:banana

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 13:06
ok here it is... Walking 72.5 miles a dayat present I walk a 12 minute mile and that is flatland as well as up hill with my pack... 8 miles in1 hr and 43 minutes....no running in volved just walking... So it is not impossible just demanding...wouldn't you agree???

nitewalker
01-22-2008, 13:15
the law of averages says you wont make it, mathamatics says you wont make it, most people say you wont make it, reality says you most likely will not make it, mother nature colud have a say in the matter, luck will play a huge part in the accomplishment and physical well being will be most needed... most things are stacked against you but like u say: who knows what ones physical limitations are until they are truly tested.... this might sound like im bashing you but its just what the reality facts are. i wish u the best of luck in your attempt and maybe as you pass new england i may offer you some out of the blue support.....good luck

peace out , nitewalker

A-Train
01-22-2008, 13:17
I'm not trying to be one of the haters here. I wish you the VERY best of luck, cause luck you will absolutely need (and more luck).

I hope you can answer my questions without thinking i'm attacking you.

First off, how can you maintain the same mph pace on flat ground as on up and down/rocky terrain like the AT? What happens when you hit the PA rocks or the White Mtns or Southern Maine, and cannot maintain 5 mph? How will you compensate?

5mph is VERY impressive a speed to maintain all day. Even if you CAN do this, what happens when you need to go resupply? What happens when your waiting for the PO to close and you lose half a day? What happens when you get shin splints from walking so fast? (you WILL get them if you aren't extremely careful). Have you built in stretching time into your day? How much do you plan to sleep each night?

Why are you choosing the month of May to attempt this? Have you considered potential conditions in late May in New England? Have you hiked in New England in May above treeline?

Curious mind would like to know

jesse
01-22-2008, 13:17
So it is not impossible just demanding...wouldn't you agree??? http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=508736)

no...............!

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 13:18
ok here it is... Walking 72.5 miles a dayat present I walk a 12 minute mile and that is flatland as well as up hill with my pack... 8 miles in1 hr and 43 minutes....no running in volved just walking... So it is not impossible just demanding...wouldn't you agree???

What is the mix of flat land versus uphill? Is the uphill on a road, an improved trail, or a rough trail with roots and rocks? Is that with fair weather, or in the rain? (I know Tucson gets a lot of rain).

I have been on some trails around Tucson-- they don't compare with the AT for roughness.

Good luck anyway. Don't hurt yourself.

leeki pole
01-22-2008, 13:24
Ummm..that's 15.75 hours of hiking non stop every day if my math is correct. Good luck. I hope you make it. Now back to work.

bigmac_in
01-22-2008, 13:25
I'd like to say good luck - but can't force myself. If your intent was solely to start another long thread, I'm sure you have succeeded. Don't waste the space with foolishness. Just because the math says it can be done, does not make it possible. You can not be successful, therefore I can not say good luck.

Bob S
01-22-2008, 13:26

I agree, it seems like a joke is being played. Or a person that is not in touch with reality, either way, a joke.

Alligator
01-22-2008, 13:26
So you're in training right Wildcowboy? (check) And you've publicly declared your intent through the media? (check) There's possibly an ultramarathon between now and then that you could do that would help to prove to folks that you've got what it takes. Or maybe a shorter trail nearby that you could bust out a record for and still get some training in. You've got to train anyway.

Frosty
01-22-2008, 13:29
For your information I walk a 12 minute mile You are a fool. You have no concept of what you are talking about.

Walk 72.5 miles tomorrow. Make sure your route includes 14,800 feet of elevation gain. Get up the next day and do it again. Do it a third time. That is only 10% of your task.

If you do the math, you will see that walking 12 minutes a mile will require walking almost 15 hours a day, not counting bathroom stops, lunch, rest stops, etc. You simply do not have enough time in 30 days to walk 2170 miles and do the necessary things you need to do. Like eat and sleep. Little things like that.

People talk about what the body can and cannot do really don't know what they are capable of doing until they try.Flap your arms and fly. Bite off a piece of your car's bumper. Lift a dump truck and toss it a couple hundred yards. Hold your breath for an hour. Stop being so silly.

Do it or don't. But kindly stop this nonsense.

take-a-knee
01-22-2008, 14:00
You are a fool. You have no concept of what you are talking about.

Walk 72.5 miles tomorrow. Make sure your route includes 14,800 feet of elevation gain. Get up the next day and do it again. Do it a third time. That is only 10% of your task.

If you do the math, you will see that walking 12 minutes a mile will require walking almost 15 hours a day, not counting bathroom stops, lunch, rest stops, etc. You simply do not have enough time in 30 days to walk 2170 miles and do the necessary things you need to do. Like eat and sleep. Little things like that.

Flap your arms and fly. Bite off a piece of your car's bumper. Lift a dump truck and toss it a couple hundred yards. Hold your breath for an hour. Stop being so silly.

Do it or don't. But kindly stop this nonsense.

Army Special Forces ODA (A-team) standards stipulated that every man on an A-team be able to carry a 45# ALICE pack, plus a fighting load (web gear) and an M16 and hold a 14min mile pace for 12mi. Most guys could do this, but there were few teams where everyman could hold that pace. Some studs could hold a 13min pace, a very few could hold a 12min pace, to do so requires an abnormally long stride that few under 6'1" or so can manage, most HAVE to run to achieve this pace. Remember we are not talking trails here but a road walk.

In short Cowboy, I think you are FOS, and you are also to stupid to do simple arithmetic.

Pony
01-22-2008, 14:28
Good luck Cowboy. I'll be starting about a week before you, so you should be passing me on May 1st or 2nd.:D How will I know who you are as you pass by so I can wish you good luck?

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 14:30
I am so glad that there seems to be alot of people who are just out to put people down because they don't have the courage to attempt their dreams.... As for you that are in this catagory I feel sorry for you.... As for this being foolish, well it may be atleast I am attempting something that matters to me while you are just reading to get a laughy or thinking this is just a joke.... How can you sit there and call yourselves caring people when someone comes along and decideds to do something like this and you just blast away at them because you have no lives...

For thoes of you who wish me Luck , I do thank you very much and do hope to see you on the trail......

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 14:33
you tell young children that anything is possible....most grow up to realize there limitations and that some things jsut can not happen

its ok to be a kid.....its ok to grow up as well

Mags
01-22-2008, 14:34
Above all else, try to have an enjoyable journey.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 14:40
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 14:41
I am so glad that there seems to be alot of people who are just out to put people down because they don't have the courage to attempt their dreams.... As for you that are in this catagory I feel sorry for you.... As for this being foolish, well it may be atleast I am attempting something that matters to me while you are just reading to get a laughy or thinking this is just a joke.... How can you sit there and call yourselves caring people when someone comes along and decideds to do something like this and you just blast away at them because you have no lives...

For thoes of you who wish me Luck , I do thank you very much and do hope to see you on the trail......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30515 this was your dream. stick to it. this new foolishness is a joke. you mom would agree

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 14:43
you tell young children that anything is possible....most grow up to realize there limitations and that some things jsut can not happen

its ok to be a kid.....its ok to grow up as well

How do you know that it can't be done????... I was raised to believe that anything is possible and yes I know there are limitations to just about everything and I respect that, but there is one thing everyone that is doubting me is forgetting and that is they are not me and have no clue about what it takes to make your dreams come true...

So what I guess I am saying is, when you have walked a mile in my shoes and been me then you will know that make it in 30 or not I am still out there having a good time...

ScottP
01-22-2008, 14:49
"
The horrendous ordeal of 11 American ...seamen, shipwrecked on the Atlantic coast of North Africa and then sold into slavery, grippingly chronicled by adventure writer King (Harbors and High Seas, 1996, etc.).The War of 1812 had just ... more » ended, and Captain James Riley was hungry to get back to work on the brig Commerce, sailing out of Connecticut to buy cheap and sell dear in the wake of the British wartime blockade. But strange weather and bad luck sent Riley's ship onto the rocks of Atlantic Africa, then more bad luck put him and ten shipmates in the hands of nomads who took them into slavery. What happened over the next two months was so extraordinary that the narrative flies under its own steam, though King ably guides its progression and the reader's absorption, using two firsthand accounts published after the event as his source material. The degree of privation the men suffered was so absurd it's a wonder the nomads kept them at all, for their work value as slaves was scant. Yet there they are: sun-blasted, sand-blasted, wind-blasted, thighs chafed to bleeding ribbons from riding camels, feet shredded to the bone by sharp rocks, so thirsty that drinking urine was a comfort, so hungry they ate pieces of infected flesh that had been cut off the camels and the skin peeling off their own bodies. The men were split up, briefly reunited, then rudely separated; King plays these episodes like stringed instruments upon the reader's taut occupation with the proceedings. A lifetime of misery was packed into two months, after which six of the seamen, led by the worthy Riley, managed to convince a trader to buy them for the bounty he will receive from the European consul in Morocco.A jaw-dropping story kept on edge, along with the reader: exquisite and excruciating screw-turning. (b&w maps and illustrations"

It takes a lot to kill you, but why anyone would want to create such an ordeal for themselves by trying to cover 2200 miles in 30 days is beyond me.

Bob S
01-22-2008, 14:49

This is a bulletin Board, they happen to be made for people to post ideas and for others to comment and post what they think about your ideas.

Don’t get testy when you go to a BBS and others post a response to your ideas and use it for what it was intended for.

I’m still not convinced this isn’t BS.

:-?

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 14:50

I hope this worked...lol.... This is me and My Family....

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 14:53
This is a bulletin Board, they happen to be made for people to post ideas and for others to comment and post what they think about your ideas.

Don’t get testy when you go to a BBS and others post a response to your ideas and use it for what it was intended for.

I’m still not convinced this isn’t BS.

:-?

Well Bob not really worried if you think it is BS or not.... not getting testy but there is a point where when you stoop so low that they just want to attack someone for wanting to try to accomplish something...wouldn't you agree that some of the posts or replies are just childish????

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 14:58
i really hope so and dont get me wrong i wuold love to hear that you completed it in the time alotted...i jsut think you will be thinking it is stupid in less than a week if you are not already injured

if you are not having fun you shouldnt be out there...i hope you think pain is fun cause you are going to feel lots of it......

thanks for the pic

GO FOR IT MAN

FatMan
01-22-2008, 14:59
Hey Cowboy...go for it. Let me know your start date and I'll meet you at Neels Gap for lunch. If you start between 6-7am you should make it by noon. I'll buy.:banana

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 15:01
Well Bob not really worried if you think it is BS or not.... not getting testy but there is a point where when you stoop so low that they just want to attack someone for wanting to try to accomplish something...wouldn't you agree that some of the posts or replies are just childish????

they dont attack bc you want to accomplish it but that you think it is possible

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 15:04
I am so glad that there seems to be alot of people who are just out to put people down because they don't have the courage to attempt their dreams........ How can you sit there and call yourselves caring people when someone comes along and decideds to do something like this and you just blast away at them because you have no lives...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30515 this was your dream. stick to it. this new foolishness is a joke. you mom would agree
OK COWBOY, and there have only been a few times that I have wished to have the PMs back that I sent to you. If you still have them and have it in you to bare the hear you've got my blessing. God knows if I hadn't deleted them everyone would be reading them right now.
I add Wolf's link because that is where I first took notice of a soul who I could feel for, someone hiking the trail with the memory of their mom. You pulled us in with those heart strings. As you'll see on that link I was the last entry and that is when we began PMing.
There are so many folk that come into our lives here but your story was so compelling I was willing to take the time to help. And Oh my time did you take, copious amounts of my time answering hiking questions and trail questions as if you were a relative newbie.
And after numerous lengthy PMs in which I thought I was helping a good person you drop the 30 day AT hike concept - knowing that nothing I had just spent my time advising you with could remotely be helpful for that kind of hike, not gear, not nutrition, nothing. You just wasted my time, you bastardize the trail and the memory of your mom through your dishonesty and left me feeling like a duped moron.
It wasn't until a couple days after this that you took this concept to the rest of the WB community.
Someone who had integrity in this endeavor fist off wouldn't be out there talking about it, they'd talk about it after, and second would know it was so unlikely (see impossible for someone who advertised themselves as a newbie) that they would talk about it AFTER they had accomplished it.
You invoked your passed Mother's name to gain this ridiculous attention for yourself and it all just smells, bad.

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 15:05
Freeleo

I forgot all about posting my pic up...lol... it just drives me nuttz.... oh yes it will take me awhile to get my journal up on my training and such....so I will sit down and do my best sometime today.....

Frosty
01-22-2008, 15:08
How do you know that it can't be done????... I was raised to believe that anything is possible and yes I know there are limitations to just about everything and I respect that, but there is one thing everyone that is doubting me is forgetting and that is they are not me It isn't about you, chum. No one knows you. People are doubting it can be done by anyone. People who know what they are talking about.

I can walk a mile in 12 mins, too, if I had to. I cannot, and you cannot, walk an average of 73 miles a day, climbing an average of 15,000 feet each and every day for 30 days.

The mere fact that you think you can do this in NH/Maine in May is ludicrous. Your pace has you hiking from Hanover to Katahdin in about 5-6 days. You only say this because you have no knowledge of what you are talking about, and likely have never backpacked in NH/ME or any long trail. If you had, you would know better.

I suggest you do attempt this: To hike the AT in 30 in May, you will need to be in Damascus in less than a week. Post again from there on May 6. Until then, leave us inn peace. Thanks.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 15:08
Freeleo

I forgot all about posting my pic up...lol... it just drives me nuttz.... oh yes it will take me awhile to get my journal up on my training and such....so I will sit down and do my best sometime today.....When you should be out training? For shame. :D

DAKS
01-22-2008, 15:16
okay, i can't help myself? wildcowboy, i wish you luck no matter the length or duration of your hike. but something about this whole asking for advice, then not taking that advice, and getting everyones blood pressure up reminds me a whole lot of the movie "BORAT!" your not sacha boren cohn(sp?)are you?

wrongway_08
01-22-2008, 15:17
Hmmm, I have done some crazy crap just to prove people wrong but.... this seems undoable.

Couldnt be happier if you prove me wrong on this... good luck!

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 15:21
wishing him "luck" is just as ignorant as him thinking he can remotely do this. it's foolhardiness at it's finest

OregonHiker
01-22-2008, 15:23
wishing him "luck" is just as ignorant as him thinking he can remotely do this. it's foolhardiness at it's finest

How long did it take for you to do your "thru"

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 15:43
I wanted to let everyone know that I am going to swim the English Channel in 30 min. I know I can do it because it's my dream.

I start my swimming lessons tonight...I'm so excited. I think I'll go do my swim At the end of February.

I hope I can count on everyone's support.

River Runner
01-22-2008, 15:44
Cowboy,

I have no idea what drives you. You came here posting for advice, and you got some excellent information from people who really know the trail to begin with. Then you got radical and mad when people pointed out the realities of what you decided to turn your trip into. Most folks, myself included, decided you were a troll just looking to create a scene, so you can only blame yourself that the posts got crazier and more insulting as your ideas grew wilder.

If you are serious, and want to delude yourself into thinking you can do the impossible, well then, have at it. If you are for real, I do hope you eventually come to your senses and have a great hike in memory of your mother.

River Runner
01-22-2008, 15:46
I wanted to let everyone know that I am going to swim the English Channel in 30 min. I know I can do it because it's my dream.

I start my swimming lessons tonight...I'm so excited. I think I'll go do my swim At the end of February.

Hey, go for it. Everyone should be entitled to a dream they can fail miserably at. ;)

Blissful
01-22-2008, 15:47
Hike the trail and enjoy it and the people. Who knows if you will ever get the opportunity again. Would be a shame to miss out on so much for a record or whatever.
Having done it and seeing the overuse injuries hikers suffer (including myself and I took the average time) you would not want to do something dumb that can wreck your body for months and years after.
Slow down and have a great time instead!

Roots
01-22-2008, 15:49
Oh--wait a minute...

I had to go climb Everest.:D

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 15:50

first lesson from a life long swimmer...keep your chin down so your feet dont sink...if you need more help take it to a PM...i have coached state champions:)

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 15:51
I'm pretty sure I can eat 50 eggs in a hour. I'm starting to train right now.
Remember whenever you lie or masturbate - God Kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens.

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 15:52
Oh--wait a minute...

How was it?

Roots
01-22-2008, 15:53
How was it?
Couple bruises...doable.:p

Bob S
01-22-2008, 15:55
Remember whenever you lie or masturbate - God Kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens.

Way too much informiation there LOL

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 15:57
Couple bruises...doable.:p

The difference is, if you told us you were going to be leaving for a few months, to go climb Everest, you might actually come back having done it. Just not in a minute.

Roots
01-22-2008, 16:00
The difference is, if you told us you were going to be leaving for a few months, to go climb Everest, you might actually come back having done it. Just not in a minute.
Exactly!! I'm with Wolf and several others. Can't be done!

Hooch
01-22-2008, 16:03
Oh--wait a minute...

How was it?

Couple bruises...doable.:pIf you really wanted to make it impressive, you would have done with without supplemental oxygen, barfoot while riding a unicycle and juggling all the while singing a rousing chorus of "I'm a little teapot.".

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 16:11
Exactly!! I'm with Wolf and several others. Can't be done!

Dang, I've been duped again. I thought you had really done it.

Gotta go there's a thing on the Home Shopping network and I need be one of the first 100 to order to get the really special deal.:p

mudhead
01-22-2008, 16:12

Good thing there are plenty of cats around here.

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 16:14
If you really wanted to make it impressive, you would have done with without supplemental oxygen, barfoot while riding a unicycle and juggling all the while singing a rousing chorus of "I'm a little teapot.".

I love that song.:banana

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 16:14
Now that's too much information!:eek::eek::eek:
LOL!

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 16:22

Sorry to all the cat lovers. . . I didn't know that.:o

Hooch
If you really wanted to make it impressive, you would have done with without supplemental oxygen, barfoot while riding a unicycle and juggling all the while singing a rousing chorus of "I'm a little teapot.".

I love that song.:bananaI lost a bet at work not too long ago and had to sing that at the nurse's station at shift change. :eek: Complete with arm motions. I'm still scarred. :(

Marta

More than you'd think, given how many kittens must get snuffed every second.

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 16:23

I lost a bet at work not too long ago and had to sing that at the nurse's station at shift change. :eek: Complete with arm motions. I'm still scarred. :(
Haaaaaa-Haaa.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/basic/laugh.gif

Roots
01-22-2008, 16:34
I lost a bet at work not too long ago and had to sing that at the nurse's station at shift change. :eek: Complete with arm motions. I'm still scarred. :(

GOOD LORD!!:eek:

Oh yea...Everest one arm and leg tied behind back with a sack on the back, no oxygen, while smoking a cigar, straight from base camp up, and no stops--screw cramptons!! New Balance!!:D;)

Hooch
01-22-2008, 16:37
Oh yea...Everest one arm and leg tied behind back with a sack on the back, no oxygen, while smoking a cigar, straight from base camp up, and no stops--screw cramptons!! New Balance!!:D;)Backwards and blindfolded. :eek: Sherpas? We don't need no stinking sherpas!

envirodiver
01-22-2008, 16:43

I'm sure that gave the patients a renewed confidence;)

And to Mr. Hairy Palms Warraghiyagey shame on you:mad:

Oh the Kittenmanity!!

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 16:50
And to Mr. Hairy Palms Warraghiyagey shame on you:mad:

Oh the Kittenmanity!!
I'm not blind yet!

Just Jeff
01-22-2008, 17:18
This thread is cute.

Cowboy - put up or shut up. How about you don't get pissed off at any more posts until AFTER you've hiked a 70 mile day or three? I hope you can do it...but talking about it won't get you there. Get off the computer and make it happen.

Hooch, the illuminati are watching. Don't bring up the juggling again if you know what's good for you. Might be something about this in the archives...or maybe they've already purged it. Who knows...just be careful. :eek:

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 17:42
Someone emailed me and told me a group got together and petitioned to get my thread closed..that is why I posted this thread the way I did... Now that I know the truth I feel bad.... TY:)
There is a small group of disgruntled posters that started that rumor. I think they told you that just to make you mad - but I can assure you it isn't true.

Good luck.

A-Train
01-22-2008, 18:07
Thought I asked a bunch of legitimate questions. Guess the athlete in question didn't wanna answer them.

Why am I not suprised.....

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 18:11
why not just shoot for "46 days" for the record? give your self a few days off here and there

its a great song anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbUy83NsM5c

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 18:14
why not just shoot for "46 days" for the record? give your self a few days off here and there

That is about what I was thinking...

If you are trying to set a record then shoot under the current one and then get the gravy where you can, not claim the meat and the gravy before even starting the meal.

A-Train
01-22-2008, 18:16
Why not 59? Why even try to beat the supported record unsupported? Though it isn't even an official record, unless someone can find Ward Leonard and he can vouche for it.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 18:16

46 days unsupported can't be done

Kirby
01-22-2008, 18:35
70+ miles in northern NE, now there's a good one for you. Good luck, but I say no way Jose, I'll buy you lunch sometime if you can manage to do 2 straight days of 70+ miles down south.

Kirby

ed bell
01-22-2008, 18:41
OK COWBOY, and there have only been a few times that I have wished to have the PMs back that I sent to you. If you still have them and have it in you to bare the hear you've got my blessing. God knows if I hadn't deleted them everyone would be reading them right now.
I add Wolf's link because that is where I first took notice of a soul who I could feel for, someone hiking the trail with the memory of their mom. You pulled us in with those heart strings. As you'll see on that link I was the last entry and that is when we began PMing.
There are so many folk that come into our lives here but your story was so compelling I was willing to take the time to help. And Oh my time did you take, copious amounts of my time answering hiking questions and trail questions as if you were a relative newbie.
And after numerous lengthy PMs in which I thought I was helping a good person you drop the 30 day AT hike concept - knowing that nothing I had just spent my time advising you with could remotely be helpful for that kind of hike, not gear, not nutrition, nothing. You just wasted my time, you bastardize the trail and the memory of your mom through your dishonesty and left me feeling like a duped moron.
It wasn't until a couple days after this that you took this concept to the rest of the WB community.
Someone who had integrity in this endeavor fist off wouldn't be out there talking about it, they'd talk about it after, and second would know it was so unlikely (see impossible for someone who advertised themselves as a newbie) that they would talk about it AFTER they had accomplished it.
You invoked your passed Mother's name to gain this ridiculous attention for yourself and it all just smells, bad.
The fact that he will not answer this post says a lot. To me it's beyond disrespectful. Add to that the crying about how "mean" people are being to him and you are left with an obvious manipulator. I won't wish Lonnie luck, yet I wish him no ill-will. To echo another poster, the time for talk, advice and pity is over. Put up or shut up. Hats off to warraghiyagey for reaching out to someone and helping them with one on one advice.

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2008, 18:41
Cowboy,

I froze your mileage plans on your video interview and you've planned this like a walk in the park with almost perfect 70-something mile days every day. No way you'll do 72 mile days through the first and last 400 miles of the trail and there's some other sections like PA you'll find most interesting trying to keep a 5 mph pace and not breaking an ankle/foot. And there ain't no way you'll do it unsupported needing to get and carry water and get to stores to buy and carry 15000+ cal worth of food per day. Just not realistic man.

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 18:43
Guys guys, it's ok.

Don't judge him, he's going to do it!

After all:

"I was born in Tennesee, so walking in the mountains is nothing"

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 18:47
Dude,

There is a scene in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Tocco: When it is time to shoot, shoot - don't talk

It applies here. When it is time to hike, hike - don't talk.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2008, 18:54
Guy's name (it was Eli Wallach) was Tuco, not Tocco, but the Sarge has a point.

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 18:57
does anyone think a navy seal could accomplish a thru in 30 days unsupported....maybe that guy on the survival show?

anyone have any realistic considerations, besides the cowboy

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 18:59
does anyone think a navy seal could accomplish a thru in 30 days unsupported....maybe that guy on the survival show?

no it's not possible. especially not unsupported, my best guess is that this guy likes the attention.

MoodyBluer
01-22-2008, 19:01
Hey, I'm all for a guy having goals and all, but...they do need to be tempered with reality. Having said that, good luck to the Cowboy.

My question is why is 30 days the goal? Even if you could achieve something like this, where would be the enjoyment of it? You would have your head down so much just grunting out miles that you would completely miss out on what the Trail is there for, IMHO.

jersey joe
01-22-2008, 19:06

I'll take palmer or horton over a navy seal any day.

Skidsteer
01-22-2008, 19:13
Cowboy, let me try to put this in perspective for you if I may.

Imagine that you just joined a Bulletin Board for power lifters and you start a few threads asking newbie questions like, "What kind of wrist wraps do you use? or, "What's the best brand of bench press shirt?" and, "Do you use a thumbless grip?"

Then, a few days later, you announce that you are going to break the current world record bench press (http://www.healthscape.co.uk/blog/2007/02/19/15/)of 1,010 lbs. And you're going to double it and go for 2,020 lbs. 'Cause you promised your Mother.

Needless to say, the members of such a forum would react with incredulity.

Essentially, you've stuck your head up your ass and now you're sniveling about the **** in your hair.

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 19:18
I stand corrected then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUslGSoEH8I

Great movie.

gungho
01-22-2008, 19:20

Imagine that you just joined a Bulletin Board for power lifters and you start a few threads asking newbie questions like, "What kind of wrist wraps do you use? or, "What's the best brand of bench press shirt?" and, "Do you use a thumbless grip?"

Then, a few days later, you announce that you are going to break the current world record bench press (http://www.healthscape.co.uk/blog/2007/02/19/15/)of 1,010 lbs. And you're going to double it and go for 2,020 lbs. 'Cause you promised your Mother.

Essentially, you've stuck your head up your ass and now you're sniveling about the **** in your hair.

Now that is perspective:D

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 19:21

hat's off to Skidsteer....perfect.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 19:22

not no, but **** no!

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 19:26

Do you mean a real Navy SEAL or one of the thousands of wannabees that claim to have been one.

My guess is if a real Navy SEAL did it, he would never tell anyone.:-?

Hooch
01-22-2008, 19:26

Essentially, you've stuck your head up your ass and now you're sniveling about the **** in your hair.How disturbingly eloquent. :D Actually, spot on, Skids! Bravo.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 19:27
Do you mean a real Navy SEAL or one of the thousands of wannabees that claim to have been one.

My guess is if a real Navy SEAL did it, he would never tell anyone.:-?If he was serious about observing OPSEC he'd never say a word. You'd never know the man was there.

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 19:29
Could a Ninja do it?

Hooch
01-22-2008, 19:40
Could a Ninja do it?
Of course. A ninja could do it with a sip of water, a Moon Pie, no shower and 10 hours sleep for the entire 30 day's time.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 19:47
Could a Ninja do it?Hang on, are we talking real no kidding ninja or movie ninja?

Mags
01-22-2008, 19:48
Has to be said:

Chuck Norris doesn't set speed records, he just stands still and the trail moves for him...

AT-HITMAN2005
01-22-2008, 19:50
Has to be said:

Chuck Norris doesn't set speed records, he just stands still and the trail moves for him...

ok so how fast is he going? would he be done in 30 days?:D

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 19:51
Has to be said:

Chucks been going through a rough patch lately ...
http://www.antowan.com/joomla/images/funnies/chuck_norris.jpg

gungho
01-22-2008, 19:54
Hang on, are we talking real no kidding ninja or movie ninja?
Movie Ninjas wouldn't need 30 days. They could leap onto tops of mountains using a few backflips.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 19:56
Movie Ninjas wouldn't need 30 days. They could leap onto tops of mountains using a few backflips.Good point. That's sad about chuck, maybe they can get him work by doing a made for TV Walker movie or something.

gungho
01-22-2008, 19:59
Chucks been going through a rough patch lately ...
http://www.antowan.com/joomla/images/funnies/chuck_norris.jpg
One thing is for sure he will not go hungry:)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 19:59
Heath Ledger couldn't do it.:o

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:00
One thing is for sure he will not go hungry:)Might work against him. Would you really take a roundhouse from Chuck just so he can eat? I'd give him a couple Little Debbies and tell him to keep the kick, thanks.

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:03
What about Arnie?

gungho
01-22-2008, 20:05
Might work against him. Would you really take a roundhouse from Chuck just so he can eat? I'd give him a couple Little Debbies and tell him to keep the kick, thanks.

I don't know,it just depends on what town he is in.I can see a bunch of rednecks sitting around bragging about being roundkicked by chuck Norris and living to tell about it:-?

Kirby
01-22-2008, 20:06
Hey ya'll:
Breaking news, it will be printed in my local newspaper tomorrow that I will attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail, the whole thing, in one day. I am going to to do this with a 25 pound pack, hope to make it lighter. Wolf, I will need support in Damascus, no time to start. Rock, I need you to have the Army clear the trail for me, I can't have anything in my way.

No naysayers welcome, this is my dream, and I will not tolerate negative feedback.

Kirby

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 20:08
Arnie doesn't have a chess club. I heard Chucks back up to speed from his rough patch.
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/i/2006/284/8/c/Chuck_Norris_Chess_Club_by_petersen1973.jpg

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:09
I don't know,it just depends on what town he is in.I can see a bunch of rednecks sitting around bragging about being roundkicked by chuck Norris and living to tell about it:-?They all say the same thing as they're about to be kicked......"Hey y'all, watch this!" :datz

gungho
01-22-2008, 20:11
Hey ya'll:
Breaking news, it will be printed in my local newspaper tomorrow that I will attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail, the whole thing, in one day. I am going to to do this with a 25 pound pack, hope to make it lighter. Wolf, I will need support in Damascus, no time to start. Rock, I need you to have the Army clear the trail for me, I can't have anything in my way.

No naysayers welcome, this is my dream, and I will not tolerate negative feedback.

Kirby
Their's no doubt that you can do it...LOL I am behind you 100%..LOL You will only need to average 45.3 miles every 30 minutes which is very doable...LOL

Good one Kirby:D

Mountain Dew
01-22-2008, 20:12
Wildcowboy, "For your information I walk a 12 minute mile with a 40 Lb pack...and that is not flat lands either..." .... Where did you actually do this for more than ...ohhhh..say....20 miles ? I'm guessingn that you haven't ever done it. You just made it up to sound believable.

Wildcowboy, "and for your information 5mph isn't even close to jogging...I have no clue where yall got that from...." .... I use to be a personal trainer so THAT is how I know you have zero clue as to what you speak of. Even for a very tall male anything over 5 to 6 mph and you have NO CHOICE but to start running. So YES YES and YES it is "close" to running. I'd love to see you try to hike up ANY of the big mountains on the A.T. with your 40 lb pack at 5 mph and maintain that to the top. Dude, your turlly hilarious and I expect bipolar or something along those lines.

Please share with us your starting date. I'd love to be even 50 miles north of Springer that day to sit and laugh my arse off at you when you don't show. This isn't about us trying to shoot down your dreams but rather giving you a harsh reality check. Not to mention some of us have called you on obvious lies that you are trying to push off on us. I notice you don't answer A-trains questions either. You have no answer for reasonable questions that beg to be answered.

I like how you say this isn't about the attention..... THAT is what it is ALL about to you...that is why you went to the media with this BS.

Before you start crying more about people attacking you just know that when you start spewing such humerous BS you are asking for a reality check such as you are getting here on WB. I'm betting that you can't do the entire A.T. in 60 days muchless 30. We aren't attacking you. You are attacking you and we are just affirming reality that you can't handle.

This is classic and very very very humerous. :sun

Froggy
01-22-2008, 20:17
WildCowboy, I've got a real question here.

How are you planning to resupply, and what are you planning to eat? Also, what about cooking it?

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:27
You know the answer to our dilemma of proving WC actually did the trail in the amount of time he said he would is solved on another thread: A personal locator beacon. We can track him to see when he's where and so on. Everyone chip in.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 20:29
You know the answer to our dilemma of proving WC actually did the trail in the amount of time he said he would is solved on another thread: A personal locator beacon. We can track him to see when he's where and so on. Everyone chip in.

i'll be at springer the day he starts watching closely

DAKS
01-22-2008, 20:31

if i remember correctly, he was gonna' be using a GPS "chip" sewn into his pack so that we could track him? does anybody else remember him stating this?

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 20:33
That won't work unless it's surgically implanted in him. A string of Wildcowboys can relay the device up the trail ... not that I'm saying that there's more than one Wildcowboy - :eek: ... and what about those Wildcowboy supporters and groupies that can do the same. All angles need to be checked!:D

Jaybird62
01-22-2008, 20:34
I also recall that statement.

Kirby
01-22-2008, 20:35
Wolf just volunteering to hike with him, thanks Wolf.

Kirby

DAKS
01-22-2008, 20:37
That won't work unless it's surgically implanted in him. A string of Wildcowboys can relay the device up the trail ... not that I'm saying that there's more than one Wildcowboy - :eek: ... and what about those Wildcowboy supporters and groupies that can do the same. All angles need to be checked!:D

good catch! safety first!

Jaybird62
01-22-2008, 20:37
Yeah, now the question is "can he hang with the wild,wild cowboy?"

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 20:43
Wolf just volunteering to hike with him, thanks Wolf.

Kirby

oh no. i'll watch him leave springer then watch for him at each road crossing in my truck

DAKS
01-22-2008, 20:45
oh no. i'll watch him leave springer then watch for him at each road crossing in my truck

can i ride shotgun?

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 20:45
absolutely

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:46
oh no. i'll watch him leave springer then watch for him at each road crossing in my truckI'm tellin ya folks, get SGT Rock to go "drill sergeant" on him at every road crossing just for the chuckles.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 20:48
I'm tellin ya folks, get SGT Rock to go "drill sergeant" on him at every road crossing just for the chuckles.

a drill sarge would make me chuckle too

Hooch
01-22-2008, 20:51
a drill sarge would make me chuckle tooTry this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja_MJazDuc), this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mGmLYYbO4) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVBlXGuVYg) then. Bring back old memories? :D

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 20:52
can i ride shotgun?
Yeah bring the shotgun ... just in case you need to blow his ostrich out from under him. No cheaters!
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6536/tj6536_012208_192541_292423.jpg

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 20:54
Chuck Norris thru-hiked the trail in a weekend. But his record doesn't count since he ain't human.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 20:56
Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja_MJazDuc), this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mGmLYYbO4) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVBlXGuVYg) then. Bring back old memories? :D

yeah. good stuff

Lilred
01-22-2008, 20:57
[QUOTE=wildcowboy238;508646]your information I walk a 12 minute mile with a 40 Lb pack...and that is not flat lands either...[QUOTE]

LOLOl I can walk a 12 minute mile too if I really push myself, and I'm 60 lbs overweight.... LOLOL Do that for 15 hours a day on the AT?? LOLOLOL Can't be done. and anyone that suggests you even try is not giving you good advice. You're gonna hurt yourself bad.

DAKS
01-22-2008, 20:58
Yeah bring the shotgun ... just in case you need to blow his ostrich out from under him. No cheaters!

PRICELESS!!! LMAO!!!

Hooch
01-22-2008, 21:00
Bring back old memories? :DRemember these? :D

tazie
01-22-2008, 21:00
[quote=wildcowboy238;508646]Well to all of you out there who felt that I am not experienced enougfht for the trip I guess I would have to say that I feel sorry for you... To speak about a person in a way that would actually try to discourage him on his dreams.... wanting to laugh at me for this, that is fine atleast you are leaving someone else alone....

This hike is not about bragging rights and if I feel I can't make it then I will just walk the trail...no biggie...

If I understood your initial post, you're doing this thread to honor your mother...hike the trail in her memory. That's admirable of you, and no one would discourage that. AND I sincerely believe most everyone here wishes you the best in your journey...but why so fast? What's the point of breaking a record? Wouldn't it be just as an enjoyable experience to "walk the trail...no biggie" at the outset?

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 21:01
Another rip-off of GBU -

There are two types of people on this forum: Those that hike, and those that sniff packs.

You sniff packs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDXe1XJOIxA&feature=related (at about 3:00)

bigmac_in
01-22-2008, 21:01
He's not going to hurt himself - because IF he is serious (which I doubt), he won't even make it to Woody Gap the first day. There is something wrong with someone that has to make a big deal out of himself like that. I'll pray for you cowboy....

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 21:02
Not to anyone in particular, I just find that funny.

Frosty
01-22-2008, 21:02
70+ miles in northern NE, now there's a good one for you. Good luck, but I say no way JoseAre you telling him that he isn't likely to do Maine in four days in May? How discouraging of you :D

bigmac_in
01-22-2008, 21:05
Not to anyone in particular, I just find that funny.

That IS funny....

doggiebag
01-22-2008, 21:09
PRICELESS!!! LMAO!!!

If you observe closely - the "world record" candidate is actually plucking the feathers off his "pack animal" to be used for insulation. In addition to the competative advantage of superhuman speed. I bet you he eats the damned thing thus offsetting at least one resupply stop. I'm estimating he eats his "companion" before he has to kennel his feathered friend ... thus alleviating him the $275.- dollar fee from the "Loving Hands Kennel" in Pigeon Forge. This is all theory and is not based on any one person or fowl.

Lilred
01-22-2008, 21:13
Oh--wait a minute...

LOLOL (wiping soda off my monitor) Thanks for the laugh Roots!!

Bearpaw
01-22-2008, 22:24
Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja_MJazDuc), this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7mGmLYYbO4) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVBlXGuVYg) then. Bring back old memories? :D

In the third clip, I have to wonder how badly the recruit was malingering. It had to be BAD.

For the uninitiated, the Marine chewing his tail was his Senior Drill Instructor. "Senior" is a Marine on his second tour as a drill instructor usually. He is sort of the father figure of the cadre, and he looks out for his recruits and makes sure the more junior drill instructors don't get too brutal on the recruits.

Now add the fact that the Senior actually cursed. As of the 1980's (maybe earlier), drill instructors are not supposed to actually curse at recruits(this is totally different once you hit the fleet BTW, but in entry level training it isn't supposed to happen). This is why you hear so many "friggin"'s, "freakin"'s, "stinkin"'s, "nasty"'s, and "dadgum"'s. For the senior to curse several times as he did, the emotion was very genuine, not show, and the recruit MUST have pretty much outright lied about his condition to have raised so much ire.

I've seen this sort of thing before, but very rarely. I can't help but feel my blood pressure rise just watching it here at home.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 22:27
i went thru boot in 77. cussing was in full swing

Bearpaw
01-22-2008, 22:31
i went thru boot in 77. cussing was in full swing

So I've heard..... :eek:. I was always amazed at how much hate, discontent, and heartfelt venom a drill instructor could shove into "Stinkin' nasty sack o' trash". Telling them they couldn't curse just made them more creative. :rolleyes:

T-Dubs
01-22-2008, 22:43

It's got some entertainment value on a cold Winter's day.
I'm thinking he'll make it in less than 30, then head back the other direction. I mean, if you can do 70+ for 30 days then there is no challenge that can't be beat.

If I follow along the route in my car (road crossing, etc.) and cheer my best, that won't count as 'support' will it?

TWS

Wanderingson
01-22-2008, 23:49
delusion, false belief based upon a misinterpretation of reality. It is not, like a hallucination, a false sensory perception, or like an illusion, a distorted perception. Delusions vary in intensity, and are not uncommon among substance abusers, particularly those who use amphetamines, cocaine, and hallucinogens. They also occur frequently among individuals who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Alzheimer's+disease) , Huntington's disease (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Huntington's+disease) hereditary, acute disturbance of the central nervous system usually beginning in middle age and characterized by involuntary muscular movements and progressive intellectual deterioration; formerly called Huntington's chorea.
, or schizophrenia (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/schizophrenia) , and during the manic stage of bipolar disorder in psychiatry, a symptom of mood disorder characterized by intense feelings of loss, sadness, hopelessness, failure, and rejection. Some common delusions include persecutory delusions, in which the individual falsely believes that others are plotting against him; delusions of thought broadcasting, where the individual believes his thoughts can be transmitted to others; delusions of thought insertion, in which the individual believes that thoughts are being implanted in his mind; and delusions of grandeur, in which the individual imagines himself an unappreciated person of great importance.

Montego
01-22-2008, 23:57
delusion, false belief based upon a misinterpretation of reality. It is not, like a hallucination, a false sensory perception, or like an illusion, a distorted perception. Delusions vary in intensity, and are not uncommon among substance abusers, particularly those who use amphetamines, cocaine, and hallucinogens. They also occur frequently among individuals who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Alzheimer's+disease) , Huntington's disease (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Huntington's+disease) hereditary, acute disturbance of the central nervous system usually beginning in middle age and characterized by involuntary muscular movements and progressive intellectual deterioration; formerly called Huntington's chorea.
, or schizophrenia (http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/schizophrenia) , and during the manic stage of bipolar disorder in psychiatry, a symptom of mood disorder characterized by intense feelings of loss, sadness, hopelessness, failure, and rejection. Some common delusions include persecutory delusions, in which the individual falsely believes that others are plotting against him; delusions of thought broadcasting, where the individual believes his thoughts can be transmitted to others; delusions of thought insertion, in which the individual believes that thoughts are being implanted in his mind; and delusions of grandeur, in which the individual imagines himself an unappreciated person of great importance.

I knew it. It's all your fault. My hiking of the AT is just delusions of thought insertion by y'all. Shame on 'ya :D

River Runner
01-22-2008, 23:59
So I've heard..... :eek:. I was always amazed at how much hate, discontent, and heartfelt venom a drill instructor could shove into "Stinkin' nasty sack o' trash".

Wow! Sounds like some WhiteBlaze posters.. Just sayin'... :D

Wanderingson
01-23-2008, 00:00
I knew it. It's all your fault. My hiking of the AT is just delusions of thought insertion by y'all. Shame on 'ya :D

I see you have been forgetting to wear your tin foil hat lately.:banana

River Runner
01-23-2008, 00:03
It's got some entertainment value on a cold Winter's day.

Sure does. :D

I'm thinking he'll make it in less than 30, then head back the other direction. I mean, if you can do 70+ for 30 days then there is no challenge that can't be beat.

Good thinkin' Maybe I should add that option to the poll... :D

If I follow along the route in my car (road crossing, etc.) and cheer my best, that won't count as 'support' will it?

TWS

I dunno'... The Wild Cowboy was saying mail drops were support to start with... You'll probably have to check with him on that. :p

envirodiver
01-23-2008, 00:47
Heath Ledger couldn't do it.:o

Cold my Bro oh so very cold.

envirodiver
01-23-2008, 00:55
This guy reminds me a lot of Jesco the Dancing Outlaw.

Rentman
01-23-2008, 00:57
When's this dudes start date, I'd like to meet Flash Gordan at Neels Gap mid-afternoon of Day 1 :eek:

Mountain Dew
01-23-2008, 04:38
I'm going to bring drinks and have cookouts at most of the trail road crossings just to tease him..... oh and he can't have any either. NO SUPPORT.

minnesotasmith
01-23-2008, 06:01
This guy is most likely pulling everyone's chains as part of a class project, or has never seen a hill over 3 degrees/100' elevation.

No one who could approach a record would propose something so FOS. Anyone think he could do 5 mph through Mahoosuc Notch?

TOW
01-23-2008, 06:39
Wildcowboy you may stay here at my place on your thru if you wish. Whether you make it or not, I support your dream.

Have at it man! You know there are many naysayers in my life too. I still hear stories of how I am going to fall flat on my face in my business at any moment.

You see, I have a dream too. Eventually I hope to get ahead enough to have a good size hostel here in Damascus with a big enough dining room and kitchen so that I can cook for everyone and sit down to a good wholesome meal and conversation.

Whether or not I make it is irrelevant and really it is up to me and the many who stand in my corner. Because I alone will not do it alone.

I personally believe in God Almighty. And I believe that God opens doors and closes doors as I take my steps towards completing my goal.

So go take your steps. Listen to some and shut your ear to others. But just go hike and if you fall down some along the way then just pick yourself up and brush yourself off and limp on!

You don't need anyone's encouragement to do what you want to do, but you do need the support of those who already support your idea and will be there in more ways than one to see you thru this endeavor...........

TOW
01-23-2008, 07:00
More than you'd think, given how many kittens must get snuffed every second.
Ah...........so us guys aren't the only ones who does the nasty then...........?:-?

TOW
01-23-2008, 07:04
Oh horse phooey Jack! It was not!

TOW
01-23-2008, 07:14
i'll be at springer the day he starts watching closely
Dude there will be nothing but a puff of dust............

And do you think you can be back here in time to help me put together the meal that he is going to have to swallow down real fast so he won't be deterred but for a mega-second? I've got to make sure everything is in place..............

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 07:38
Dude there will be nothing but a puff of dust............

And do you think you can be back here in time to help me put together the meal that he is going to have to swallow down real fast so he won't be deterred but for a mega-second? I've got to make sure everything is in place..............
Hope you plan on cooking nothing but Crow for him.

Marta
01-23-2008, 08:15
Ah...........so us guys aren't the only ones who does the nasty then...........?:-?

I think the # of kittens lost because of lie-telling dwarfs the carnage from other recreational activities, popular though they are.

minnesotasmith
01-23-2008, 08:29
:clap:rolleyes:
Hope you plan on cooking nothing but Crow for him.

Heater
01-23-2008, 08:43
Hey Cowboy...go for it. Let me know your start date and I'll meet you at Neels Gap for lunch. If you start between 6-7am you should make it by noon. I'll buy.:banana

Better be an "Instant" Breakfast or "Instant" Grits.

Maybe Huevos Rancheros. :D

Gray Blazer
01-23-2008, 08:50
Does the 30 days include the hitches into town to resupply? That seems to me to be an unknown factor. You may be able to guarantee 72 miles a day, but can you guarantee that you will be picked up right away hitching? Trail Dog passed us in the Nantahalas on his record hike. He was moving (walking fast) but he had nothing on him.

Heater
01-23-2008, 08:56

Too many. The world is overpopulated with kittens.
It it obvious that a lot of you aren't doing your fair share. :mad:

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 09:09
Cowboy, I havent really seen what you are attempting to do. Are you just attempting a thru or are you attempting a "speeding" thru. Thats wat is sounds like with your mileage reports. Dont know whats up, thats why I am asking.

nitewalker
01-23-2008, 09:13
you all need to go look at the video interview. it says what he wants to do and shows who he is yadayada..lonnie owens....i think wolf supplied the link earlier...someone did

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 09:13
Cowboy, I havent really seen what you are attempting to do. Are you just attempting a thru or are you attempting a "speeding" thru. Thats wat is sounds like with your mileage reports. Dont know whats up, thats why I am asking.

he says he will hike the AT in 30 days. 72.5 miles per day average with no support

TOW
01-23-2008, 09:15
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>z>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>i>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>p!
did you see him? which way did he go?:confused:

JAK
01-23-2008, 09:17
I'm not a naysayer. I just wish you would discuss your plans in more detail and answer some of my questions.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 09:18
This guy is most likely pulling everyone's chains as part of a class project, or has never seen a hill over 3 degrees/100' elevation.

No one who could approach a record would propose something so FOS. Anyone think he could do 5 mph through Mahoosuc Notch?

wow this is a first, agree 100% w/ MS.

JAK
01-23-2008, 09:20
Sometimes its fun to play along.

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 09:24
he says he will hike the AT in 30 days. 72.5 miles per day average with no support

(considering) hmmmmmmm.

LOL

Marta
01-23-2008, 09:31
Sometimes its fun to play along.

Especially when it's cold and nasty outside.

Freeleo
01-23-2008, 10:01
Hey ya'll:

Kirby

this thread has thankfully been hi-jacked:)

Nearly Normal
01-23-2008, 10:16
I've always wanted to drive from Maine to Georgia following the leaf color, seeing the country and meeting folks. That ought to take about 60 days.

T-Dubs
01-23-2008, 10:29
Especially when it's cold and nasty outside.

True, but eventually you have to go and 'ignore' the original poster, breaking the continuity of the day and leaving you with one less source of entertainment and, more importantly, irritation. :)

TWS

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2008, 11:12
... I will attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail, the whole thing, in one day...No naysayers welcome, this is my dream, and I will not tolerate negative feedback.

Kirby

Go for it Kirby! It's your dream! :D

"In a place at La Mancha, which name I do not want to remember, not very long ago lived...

Whether I win or lose does not matter.

What does?

Only that I follow the quest.

(spits)
That for your Quest!
(turns, marches away; stops, turns bock
and asks, awkwardly)
What does that mean... quest?

It is the mission of each true knight...
His duty... nay, his privilege!
To dream the impossible dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZE4KGB6Wt4)...

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:06
Anything can be done, as long as there aren't too many nasty naysayers.
Also, you have to leave some things undefined as much as possible.

Certain things like "support", "25# pack", "miles per day", and "days".
Rigid definitions give off way to much negative energy. Keep it loose.

Roots
01-23-2008, 12:06
removed
Good one...:D

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 12:09
Anything can be done, as long as there aren't too many nasty naysayers.

wrong, scooter. walking 72.5 miles per day for 30 days on the AT unsupported is impossible

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:12
There you go again with all that nasty negative energy.

Next thing you'll be defining what a mile and a day is. Ya gotta keep it loose.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 12:13
nothin' negative, scooter. just the cold hard facts of reality. :)

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:14
Anyone can thru-hike the AT in 30 days.
You just gotta take your time man. :sun

dixicritter
01-23-2008, 12:18
This is exactly the reason Wildcowboy's first thread got closed down. Y'all trying to get this one shut down too? Come on play nicely please.

Nean
01-23-2008, 12:18
I think it all depends if he can get the proper GPS.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 12:20
This is exactly the reason Wildcowboy's first thread got closed down. Y'all trying to get this one shut down too? Come on play nicely please.

shut it down then. the guy is an assclown looking for attention. he sure got it. his momma would be proud

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 12:20
Please do it. It's like a big train wreck, I just can't stop looking, but I don't want to....

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:28
I would like to ask Wild Cowboy some more questions, but he won't answer them.
There doesn't seem to be much you can do with this thread. It's ill defined.

Here goes nothing, again:

If you were capable of hiking many miles in a day, like 60 say, would you be able to resupply more often? What would be the best resupply points on the AT if you didn't hitch any rides? What would be the typical distance from the trail to the resupply points?

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:36
How many pounds of food per mile per pound of total weight, skin out plus hiker? What would be the total distance on feet including all resupplies? What would be the best strategy in terms of when and where to hike and when to sleep? What are the rules, w.r.t. what is meant by 'unsupported'? If you don't take any rides, and don't take any zero days, but do all your sleeping in the towns you resupply in, would that still be considered an unsupported thru-hike?

JAK
01-23-2008, 12:38
What is the farthest that someone could hike on the AT without sleeping?

SouthMark
01-23-2008, 12:42

He's just looking for his 15 minutes of fame. Close it. He's had it!!

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 12:46
He's just looking for his 15 minutes of fame. Close it. He's had it!!

Why DO Americans want to be censored?

Kirby
01-23-2008, 12:53
I would like to see Wildcowboy simply answer the straight forward questions being asked, not the ones being throw out there by sarcastic wise asses, such as myself.
He is yet to answer simple questions.

My two cents,
Kirby

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 13:13
Why DO Americans want to be censored?
Because I need Dixie to save me from myself....Please close it - I can't control myself.....

JAK
01-23-2008, 13:13
Exactly right.

JAK
01-23-2008, 13:16
I meant Kirby's post.

I would like to see Wildcowboy simply answer the straight forward questions being asked, not the ones being throw out there by sarcastic wise asses, such as myself.
He is yet to answer simple questions.

My two cents,
KirbyExactly right.

I don't mind getting trolled, as long as they respond to questions.

Tabasco
01-23-2008, 13:16
You all have obviously misinterpreted his intent. He plans on hiking in 30 days, as measured on his home planet, Pluto.

Dr. Merle F. Walker and Robert Hardie, at the Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, Ariz., measured Pluto's light with photoelectric apparatus. They found that it varied slightly in brightness and that the variations repeated themselves regularly, as if dark markings were passing across Pluto's disk. The period turned out to be 6.390 earth days, so Walker and Hardie concluded that this is the length of Pluto's day.

30 x 6.39 = 192 days

sonic
01-23-2008, 13:18
You all have obviously misinterpreted his intent. He plans on hiking in 30 days, as measured on his home planet, Pluto.

Dr. Merle F. Walker and Robert Hardie, at the Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, Ariz., measured Pluto's light with photoelectric apparatus. They found that it varied slightly in brightness and that the variations repeated themselves regularly, as if dark markings were passing across Pluto's disk. The period turned out to be 6.390 earth days, so Walker and Hardie concluded that this is the length of Pluto's day.

30 x 6.39 = 192 days
Boy, I thought Men were from Mars and Women were from Venus. I sure got it wrong somewhere.

JAK
01-23-2008, 13:23
Pluto and Charon must be a pretty weird place.

I wonder what earth would be like if it was just as it is as much as possible, except our moon was nearly as big as earth, and with the same atmosphere and geology. That would be cool. Tides would be wicked eh. I wonder how differently life might have evolved if you had two earths, separated but otherwise more or less the same, except for chance.

JAK
01-23-2008, 13:24
They would probably have blown the crap out of one another by now, a few times over.

warren doyle
01-23-2008, 13:41
Why it is the sequel to Squeaky - Wild Cowboy

envirodiver
01-23-2008, 13:48
Jak, I want some of what you're having.

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2008, 14:05
I find that my land speed is indirectly proportional to how close Terry Tate is to me.

envirodiver
01-23-2008, 14:12
Are you refering to Triple T the office linebacker. If so I don't blame you.

DawnTreader
01-23-2008, 14:35
I sit here and find myself torn on this topic.. On one hand, I agree with the naysayers. But not enough to continue to shove pie in cowboys face for 12 pages.. Some here believe that Cowboy has been manipulative and dishonest about his intentions, and has deliberatly duped certain members out of valuable time asking newbie questions concerning his memorial thru hike. With this I agree, and hold a bit of resentment to Cowboy for manipulating the trust of my friends..
On the other hand, I have to say; This is the sort of thread that a lurker, or a true newbie will read, and might think twice about asking questions that might help him/her in fullfilling a possible life-long dream of getting on the AT, or other trails for that matter.
If Cowboy is truely an ATTENTION WHORE, like many seem to believe, then he has most surely succeded, because of the amount of response his threads have gained.

Cowboy, if your serious. You don't need this forum.. You don't need the blessing of the hiking community. You don't need Warren Doyle's approval. And you have nothing to prove to L. Wolf. We all walk a different path in life, and nobody can pretend to know your path, or walk it for you. If you indeed are full of *****. Please apologize, as we are a tight knit community and don't take things like this lightly...
GO PATS!

Nean
01-23-2008, 14:38
Why it is the sequel to Squeaky - Wild Cowboy

Squeaky has the experience and a chance......300 to 1:D I think it was. This Wild Cowboy doesn't have a clue or a chance. :eek:

BTW- Squeaky hasn't written off an attempt as of yet. His foot still isn't 100% and he has a bigger challenge with the birth of his child.

It is easy to see why you would be jealous though.:(

GGS2
01-23-2008, 14:39
Jak, I want some of what you're having.

All right, ED, at last this one made me laugh out loud. LOL!!!

And I find it frustrating to see smart-ass responses to original posts that have been removed! I think everyone should just go out for a nice long winter hike. Watch the wind chill, and don't get hypothermia, now. Shoo. Go out and play. You're all spending too much time in front of computers. Yeah, me too.

Gray Blazer
01-23-2008, 14:42
Train the way Benny Hill trains (Yakety Sax music please). His trainer puts a pretty coed in front of BH to chase. When BH starts getting tired, the trainer puts another coed or two in front of him to keep him going. This goes on until it no longer works. Then his trainer puts a very gay amorous gentleman behind him to chase him and then BH really starts running. You may have to alter this depending on your sexual persuasion.

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2008, 14:53
What's a "coed"?

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2008, 15:01
What's a "coed"?

Okay. You're the second person to ask this in about two weeks(the other was in one of the Meredith Emerson threads)

coed or co-ed - a female college student, from the root word co-education(al). Many schools, especially colleges were at one time segregated by sex. As were the dormitories. Not that long ago either. Us "old" guys remember the waning years of this.

When women beagn attending what were traditionally men's colleges, or living in dorms that were all male, they were referred to as co-eds.

dessertrat
01-23-2008, 15:03
The fact that the news media still use this term (coed) amazes and baffles me, seeing as how there are more women than men in college these days.

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2008, 15:05
Really?

Would a guy who started attending a traditionaly female school be considered a "co-ed"? Like, someone who graduated from Vassar in the 50's?

(That's enough Vassar bashing for one post, young man)

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2008, 15:09
No. They were called LUCKY!

Marta
01-23-2008, 15:22
Really?

Would a guy who started attending a traditionaly female school be considered a "co-ed"? Like, someone who graduated from Vassar in the 50's?

(That's enough Vassar bashing for one post, young man)

Ummm, I don't have time to research this now, but I do believe Vassar was all-female until about the early 70s. A lot of the single-sex schools were opening up back when I was applying to college, circa 1972. That's A.D., not B.C.:D

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 15:25
A lot of the single-sex schools were opening up back when I was applying to college, circa 1972. That's A.D., not B.C.:D
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/old.gif

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2008, 15:31
Marta,

That's probably true...I didn't research the dates, just threw one out there. Anywhoo, anyone up in P-Town have a grip on the extra curriculars? I've heard the football team went unbeaten again this year.

The Solemates
01-23-2008, 15:36
I'm not trying to be one of the haters here. I wish you the VERY best of luck, cause luck you will absolutely need (and more luck).

I hope you can answer my questions without thinking i'm attacking you.

First off, how can you maintain the same mph pace on flat ground as on up and down/rocky terrain like the AT? What happens when you hit the PA rocks or the White Mtns or Southern Maine, and cannot maintain 5 mph? How will you compensate?

5mph is VERY impressive a speed to maintain all day. Even if you CAN do this, what happens when you need to go resupply? What happens when your waiting for the PO to close and you lose half a day? What happens when you get shin splints from walking so fast? (you WILL get them if you aren't extremely careful). Have you built in stretching time into your day? How much do you plan to sleep each night?

Why are you choosing the month of May to attempt this? Have you considered potential conditions in late May in New England? Have you hiked in New England in May above treeline?

Curious mind would like to know

These are great questions that I am still awaiting a response from wildcowboy. Because he has not, and cannot, answer such questions as these, along with a few others people have posed, proves that he has no clue what he is speaking of.

earlyriser26
01-23-2008, 15:38
Just how many people have hiked 72 miles in a day on the AT? I've known plenty to do 30+, a few 40+, and one that claims to have done 63 in a day, but I've never even seen somebody claim to have done over 70 with a pack in a day. Does anyone know the "unofficial" record for a real day of hiking?

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 15:40
Wild Cowboy should change his name to Red Herring.

The Solemates
01-23-2008, 15:42
Just how many people have hiked 72 miles in a day on the AT? I've known plenty to do 30+, a few 40+, and one that claims to have done 63 in a day, but I've never even seen somebody claim to have done over 70 with a pack in a day. Does anyone know the "unofficial" record for a real day of hiking?

over a handful of people have done the smokies in a day, 72 miles.
fewer have done the shennies in a day, 99 miles.
then others have done the 4-state challenge of VA, WV, MD, and PA, but this isn't 70+ miles.

DesertMTB
01-23-2008, 15:43
I say give the guy a break (maybe because he is a fellow Arizonan). He will find out quickly that 70 plus miles a day on the AT is unreasonable. Plus he has already stated if he can't break the record he will continue anyways.

However, don't get me wrong. Negative posts by you guys is meant to give cowboy a dose of reality.

Hey cowboy, you ever hiked the Grand Canyon? My brother and I do the rim-to-rim-to-rim a couple times a year. Great physcial hike. I've found the AT (NC-GA) to actually be as tough or tougher than the Grand Canyon.

DesertMTB
01-23-2008, 15:44
If this guy is a troll he is very dedicated. This is from KVOA.com

A Tucson man has one wish in the New Year. Lonnie Owens is training hard to break a world record. He plans to make a 2,000 mile hike in just 30 days.
With every step, Lonnie Owens is moving towards a goal.
"It started back in early 90s with my mother. We planned on doing it in 2000... She passed away in '98."
Lonnie and his mother Eva planned to walk the Appalachian Trail. The trek starts in Georgia and ends in Maine, stretching for 13 states.
Owens says, "The Appalachian trail is 2, 175 miles and the record right now is 47 and a half days."
He hopes to break that record, making the trip in 30 days. Lonnie will start the hike on May 1.
"I was born in Tennessee, so walking in the mountains is nothing."
Lonnie has an itinerary mapped out and has carefully studied the path he'll take.
"It's a goal I've had for a while I guess. It just took a kick in the butt to get me going."
Lonnie's inspiration is his mother, and he plans to make her proud.

jersey joe
01-23-2008, 15:47
I remember during my 02' thru hike sweeper attempted a 24 hour dash through the smokies...but that wasn't during a thru hike...has any of the handful of people that did the smokies in a day done it during a thru hike?