PDA

View Full Version : Training Update!!!

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:09
Well all getting closer to my goal...am upto 65 miles a day .... Training really isn't all that bad in the end when you look at it.... I am rarely at the house anymore which is good in a way...

Yesterday I walked from my place to the Base of the Mountains which is 8 miles exactly and it took me 1 1/2 hrs.... The last hill inorder to reach my goal is steap which is good for the workout....

Still working on packweight though...just can't get the thing lower than 25lbs...lol... oh well.. I guess I am where I should be in that area.... The nights in the desert here seem to be getting colder but that doesn't bother me..... just the other day I woke up to an inch of snow and laughed.... Snow in the high desert....oh well....lol... It took me just a bit longer to come out of the bag than I wanted....

GPS is not in yet the one they sent me wasn't the right one for what I need so they asked me to send it back as they reread my requirements and are sending out the one that will work out just fine...

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2008, 12:10
Hey Cowboy, you still planning on starting 1 May 08?

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:19
Hey Cowboy, you still planning on starting 1 May 08?

Yup still on track.... Gear is working out good here and I never felt better... My wife took my pack to work with her today to keep me home for the day so that I can rest....lol....

My dad is thrilled as heck about this... he thinks I am nuttz but he is going to meet me in The smokies with a video camera....I hope I remember to shave....lol...

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 12:23
Yup still on track.... Gear is working out good here and I never felt better... My wife took my pack to work with her today to keep me home for the day so that I can rest....lol....

My dad is thrilled as heck about this... he thinks I am nuttz but he is going to meet me in The smokies with a video camera....I hope I remember to shave....lol...

you won't make it to the smokys...lol...

wildcowboy238
01-22-2008, 12:34

lol...cute...I had no clue you wanted me to make it this bad...:).. TY for the words of encouragement:)

bloodmountainman
01-22-2008, 13:20
The Georgia section is the perfect training ground. Make that and you'll be on your way!

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 14:15
If you are leaving in May, I should see you in Shenandoah going past me like a fast breeze, sometime around the 14 or 15, I guess.

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2008, 14:18
I'll be in Virginia somewhere, maybe I'll hike with you for awhile - "bout 5 seconds:D

DAKS
01-22-2008, 14:23
wild cowboy....just curious? could you give us a break down of yer' typical training day? something along the lines of hours walking/hiking, nutrition, hygiene, clothing worn etc. again, just very curious?:)

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 14:25
I'll be in Virginia somewhere, maybe I'll hike with you for awhile - "bout 5 seconds:D

Let's go out and meet Wild Cowboy together-- it'll be like Waiting for Godot.

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 14:28
please do show your face in the form of a picture as we might not catch a glimpse with your ferociuos land speed

post up a pic so we know who we are looking for

please allow us to put a face with the determination

just remember to use the force

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 14:33
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/char048.gif

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 14:35
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/char048.gif

classic:)

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 14:38
classic:)
Thank you.

jzakhar
01-22-2008, 14:58
Well all getting closer to my goal...am upto 65 miles a day .... Training really isn't all that bad in the end when you look at it.... I am rarely at the house anymore which is good in a way...

Yesterday I walked from my place to the Base of the Mountains which is 8 miles exactly and it took me 1 1/2 hrs.... The last hill inorder to reach my goal is steap which is good for the workout....

Still working on packweight though...just can't get the thing lower than 25lbs...lol... oh well.. I guess I am where I should be in that area.... The nights in the desert here seem to be getting colder but that doesn't bother me..... just the other day I woke up to an inch of snow and laughed.... Snow in the high desert....oh well....lol... It took me just a bit longer to come out of the bag than I wanted....

GPS is not in yet the one they sent me wasn't the right one for what I need so they asked me to send it back as they reread my requirements and are sending out the one that will work out just fine...

65 miles a day, is that a typo? at a 4 mph pace (which is pretty rough with A 25 lb pack) you are walking 16.5 hours to get that..

D'Artagnan
01-22-2008, 15:16
Delusional. Sorry, but that's all that comes to mind.

HikerRanky
01-22-2008, 15:57
please do show your face in the form of a picture as we might not catch a glimpse with your ferociuos land speed

post up a pic so we know who we are looking for

please allow us to put a face with the determination

just remember to use the force

Better than a picture.... Video clip from KVOA (http://kvoa.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=2061471&h1=Tucson%20man%20looking%20to%20break%20world%20r ecord&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=97067&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//kvoa.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D7566919%26nav%3DHMO6HMaW&rnd=46038166)

I for one would also be very interested in the training regimen.... I have always wanted to know how ultramarathoners have trained for events such as this.

Randy

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 16:05
"walking in the mountains is nothin"

River Runner
01-22-2008, 16:10

Should have walked up the mountain. That would be the workout you will be getting on the trail.

River Runner
01-22-2008, 16:21

Hey, wait a minute. Something isn't jiving here. :-?

I thought you were up to 65 miles per day. Yet, you went 8 miles yesterday? Are you thinking because you can walk 5+/- mph for an hour and a half that means you are up to 65 miles per day?

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 16:26
Hey, wait a minute. Something isn't jiving here. :-?

I thought you were up to 65 miles per day. Yet, you went 8 miles yesterday? Are you thinking because you can walk 5+/- mph for an hour and a half that means you are up to 65 miles per day?
If you're looking for things to add up here remember this isn't the math forum. Not that it would add up there either.

smaaax
01-22-2008, 17:02
65 miles per day...what ever happened to your 115 in 19 hours and 6+ mph???

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=474759&postcount=9

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 18:21
He actually only did two hours of it and then extrapolated?

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 18:25
He actually only did two hours of it and then extrapolated?
Sounds like a recruiter's PT Test

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 18:29

Lonewolf, if you're wrong (which you're not) you can buy him a beer in Damascus. It will be about halfway through his seventh day of walking from springer. Maybe a nice lunch?

dessertrat
01-22-2008, 18:30
Lonewolf, if you're wrong (which you're not) you can buy him a beer in Damascus. It will be about halfway through his seventh day of walking from springer. Maybe a nice lunch?

He won't have time for that-- L. Wolf will have to run along side and feed it to him.

Freeleo
01-22-2008, 18:31
and put that beer in a refridgerated hydration pack cuase he wont have time to sit down and chat

Kirby
01-22-2008, 18:31

Won't have time for that, he will most likely be in Damascus for about 3 seconds. I should see him around Harper's, or better yet, I should see a figure that looks like a body zoom by me.:rolleyes:

I'll buy him lunch myself if he can even do 2 straight 70 + mile days down south.

Kirby

Montego
01-22-2008, 18:34

Hey wildcowboy, now that you're further along in your training, maybe you should re-post your gear list and weights. Perhaps the members of the WB community could help you trim down your pack weight some.

RITBlake
01-22-2008, 18:35
Won't have time for that, he will most likely be in Damascus for about 3 seconds. I should see him around Harper's, or better yet, I should see a figure that looks like a body zoom by me.:rolleyes:

I'll buy him lunch myself if he can even do 2 straight 70 + mile days down south.

Kirby

that was my point exactly. I just watched the video of this guy, sorry bro but you don't even look all that fit, not for a guy whos going to hike 2000 miles in 30 days.

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 08:03
The Georgia section is the perfect training ground. Make that and you'll be on your way!

Cowboy, do you plan on doing the approach trail?

The Old Fhart
01-23-2008, 08:29
Seeing WildCowboy is going to be doing 75-100 miles in each 15 hour day with an average elevation gain of about 15,000 feet, I'd say his next conquest will be the much easier Badwater Ultramarathon (http://www.badwater.com/route/index.html) where he will be able to finish 3 times faster than the fastest world-class ultramarathoners have been able to do.

Of course none of them were from Tenn and born runners.:rolleyes:

nitewalker
01-23-2008, 08:38
wildcowboy has one thing in his favor. his last name is owens so maybe he has the same speed as the olympic sprinter, jessie owens...:D

nitewalker
01-23-2008, 08:45
elite athletes have trouble doing 30 marathons in 30 days and those are only 26 miles each....cowboy, you should shoot to break the record by days not weeks..if you really sit down and think most records get broken by the smallest of margins not by leaps and bounds. your trying to shave about 25% to 30% of the record.. cant be done......now if you want to break some block stacking record then u may be able to shave 25% off of that one........peace out, nitewalker

P.S. when you get on the trail and realize you cant accomplish the feat i hope you have the testicle fortitude to complete the trail no matter the amount of days it takes....any1 can talk the talk but its those who walk the walk that will make the difference.........:D

JAK
01-23-2008, 08:54
Wondering why you can't get your pack weight under 25#. If I was serious about setting a record, I would walk my body weight down to marathon like proportions, and I wouldn't ruin it all with 25# of pack weight, unless your talking 21# of food per week, which is reasonable. How often are you planning on doing your resupply? Once a day? Once a week? Why not at least 2 or 3 times a week if your covering so much ground, depending on how close the resupply points are to the trail.

JAK
01-23-2008, 08:56
You can't be showing up at the starting line of a marathon looking like your climbing everest.

the goat
01-23-2008, 09:03
wildcowboy has one thing in his favor. his last name is owens so maybe he has the same speed as the olympic sprinter, jessie owens...:D

.....or rather, the same mouth as terrell owens:)

nitewalker
01-23-2008, 09:06
.....or rather, the same mouth as terrell owens:)

i wish i thought of that one.........ha:bananaha:bananaha:banana

CaseyB
01-23-2008, 09:55
Hey Cowboy-

Can you sign a trail register or two? Just the ones right on the trail. I am starting a section hike 2 days behind you. You should sign the convienient ones anyway because:
1) No one will believe you otherwise
2) I want to see where / when reality sets in

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 11:34
Curious if the pack weight includes the thousands of calories per day it would require to accomplish 73 mile days (I'm thinking at least 12,000 a day). That would also require more frequent resupplies etc,etc, needs to be fully supported - yada, yada yada blah, blah I pray that the next time someone comes out with such a garish proposal that this will be an example of why to just look the other way.

dessertrat
01-23-2008, 11:48
Why does the media cover this? Don't they have any sportswriters anymore with the knowledge to tell the poof-poof anchor people looking for a human interest story that this is not going to happen?

Terry7
01-23-2008, 14:01
I was not going to say anything, but this is the 3rd thread you have started. NO WAY MAN!!!

warren doyle
01-23-2008, 14:12
At least he is doing less damage with his public statements than 'Mission Accomplished!' and 'There are WMD in Iraq.'

It is a good thing he is not starting on April 1st instead.

dixicritter
01-23-2008, 14:42
Warren take the political stuff to the politics forum please.

Appalachian Tater
01-23-2008, 20:30
I think you really need to get your packweight down to put in a bunch of miles.

River Runner
01-25-2008, 04:59

So, update us. Are you actually walking 65 miles a day every day? Or are you walking 8 miles in an hour and a half and figuring that gives you a 65 miles a day pace?

C'mon. Inquiring minds want to know....

HIKER7s
01-25-2008, 07:20
Not surprising he has stopped posting.

TOW
01-25-2008, 07:22
He hasn't stopped posting, he just hasn't posted today.

TOW
01-25-2008, 07:23
Give this guy some support whether you support him or not. Let's just try being this young mans friend............

HIKER7s
01-25-2008, 07:26
Give this guy some support whether you support him or not. Let's just try being this young mans friend............

I never thought I wouldnt be :rolleyes: but if you want to be in the rec-room, you've got to take some ribbing now and then:D. Especially when you float statements out like he did with no info as to how he is going to go about it:-?.

HIKER7s
01-25-2008, 07:28
He hasn't stopped posting, he just hasn't posted today.

Come to think about it, I wouldnt be posting much either if I were training for afeat such as this. If I was serious, I'd have someone doing it for me.

Gray Blazer
01-25-2008, 08:26
He needs to look out for WMD's on the Trail! (Warren "Mountainman" Doyle)

Heater
01-25-2008, 09:01

He has already posted that if his "record hike" doesn't work out he will just walk on at a "normal" pace. Good for him... unfortunately, early injury damage may be done that would restrict him from continuing.

I guess he'll just have to learn it himself.

Two Speed
01-25-2008, 09:07
. . . I guess he'll just have to learn it himself.Just like the rest of us did.

Of course most folks don't shoot their mouth off quite as much. :cool:

DesertMTB
01-25-2008, 09:44
Why does the media cover this? Don't they have any sportswriters anymore with the knowledge to tell the poof-poof anchor people looking for a human interest story that this is not going to happen?

Sportwriters don't cover these types of stories. They are more feature-type stories. This is proof the media will cover anything on a slow news day. I wonder who contacted KVOA?

DesertMTB
01-25-2008, 09:46
Sorry Dessertrat, didn't fully read your post.

DesertMTB
01-25-2008, 09:47
At least he is doing less damage with his public statements than 'Mission Accomplished!' and 'There are WMD in Iraq.'

It is a good thing he is not starting on April 1st instead.

Hey Doyle, how about keeping your political thoughts out of this forum. :D

Terry7
01-25-2008, 09:56
He needs to look out for WMD's on the Trail! (Warren "Mountainman" Doyle)
Thanks for a good belly laugh, you should be a comedy writer.

earlyriser26
01-25-2008, 10:56
Better than a picture.... Video clip from KVOA (http://kvoa.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=2061471&h1=Tucson%20man%20looking%20to%20break%20world%20r ecord&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=97067&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//kvoa.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D7566919%26nav%3DHMO6HMaW&rnd=46038166)

I for one would also be very interested in the training regimen.... I have always wanted to know how ultramarathoners have trained for events such as this.

Randy
WOW, I thought this guy was just joking until I saw the news video. He won't make 72 miles the first day. By the way, if you were doing 70+ miles a day you wouldn't need a 25lb pack. You could resupply easily on the AT. Each day you would pass a food location on the AT. Try a 15 lb pack. You also would have to carry little water with you passing dozens of water sources each day. No tent. Maybe just one set of clothes. Without much food, water, tent, etc. 15 lb should be easy. Give us your gear list.

Heater
01-25-2008, 11:03
Cowboy is old news. There is another hiker with a viable plan.

Bye cowboy. :D

Lilred
01-25-2008, 12:29

Supporting this guy in his delusion is not helping him. This cannot be done the way he intends to do it and to encourage him would be encouraging him to get hurt.

Terry7
01-25-2008, 14:06
I just watched the video clip. I thought this guy was putting us on. I start laughing every time I think about 72 miles for 30 days. Its been a lot of fun but now that I saw the video, its not as funny anymore.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2008, 14:09
i agree. i hope he reconsiders trying this

Tin Man
01-25-2008, 14:10
I just watched the video clip. I thought this guy was putting us on. I start laughing every time I think about 72 miles for 30 days. Its been a lot of fun but now that I saw the video, its not as funny anymore.

Correct, it is not funny. If we cannot convince this guy to modify his plan, he will fail miserably, get hurt trying, or both. The problem will be how to change direction gracefully. We can and should help if we can and he allows us to.

Burnt Boots
01-25-2008, 14:17
Correct, it is not funny. If we cannot convince this guy to modify his plan, he will fail miserably, get hurt trying, or both. The problem will be how to change direction gracefully. We can and should help if we can and he allows us to.I'm not seeing why its up to others to "convince" him. So what if he fails, that's his problem. He's being an ass.

The Solemates
01-25-2008, 14:18
i agree. i hope he reconsiders trying this

i feel certain he'll reconsider. when we wakes up the next morning after day 1and he hasnt even made his first day's goal.

HIKER7s
01-25-2008, 14:24
Yeah, DWT

Adios, good luck with whatever and however you end up doing it cowboy

KirkMcquest
01-25-2008, 14:25
My first reaction was 'no way, impossible, this guys putting us on'. But, hey, you never know. Everything is impossible until someone does it, I hope Cowboy makes some of you creeps eat your words.

Tin Man
01-25-2008, 14:25
I'm not seeing why its up to others to "convince" him. So what if he fails, that's his problem. He's being an ass.

I really do not want to see him, or anyone else for that matter, get seriously injured trying to make an uninformed attempt on a record, do you? He has now been informed by many respected voices here and it is up to him to be "convinced".

Freeleo
01-25-2008, 14:29
i think he mgiht be coming to his senses...at least i truly hope he is....he has been lurking sinse his last post...

note to cowboy speaking from experience......i dont care how prepared or in shape you think you are........if you try even 30 miles a day for three or four days straight in the mountains right from the get go you will injure yourself...is that what it is going to take to except what most everyone is trying to help you realize.....
i work out every day and recently did 10mile day then 20 mile day and 17 mile day back to back to back in texas and injured my ankle and got sick

your body will not like it and i seriously doubt that you mind will either

punish yourself if you please...i am wondering now if you will make it to springer

do as you wish but dont let having told the news channel and touting your speedhike here make you think you cant have a change of heart for your own health and well being

the only thing you are doing by trying this is proving that you are 99% out of touch with reality......dont let the truth hurt you........just rethink things

try it if you must and we shall see

Burnt Boots
01-25-2008, 14:32
i feel certain he'll reconsider. when we wakes up the next morning after day 1and he hasnt even made his first day's goal.
Curious, whats the farthest a hiker with a full pack has gone on day 1, from Springer?

KirkMcquest
01-25-2008, 14:33
Leave him alone. You go cowboy! don't let these naysayers stop you from trying.

Freeleo
01-25-2008, 14:35
Leave him alone. You go cowboy! don't let these naysayers stop you from trying.

you sound like chris crocker:p

KirkMcquest
01-25-2008, 14:44
Cowboy Is A Human!!< Leave Him Alone!!

CaseyB
01-25-2008, 15:42
Can somebody link to the video? Can't find it (;)too lazy to look)

Freeleo
01-25-2008, 15:49

Video clip from KVOA (http://kvoa.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=2061471&h1=Tucson%20man%20looking%20to%20break%20world%20r ecord&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=97067&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//kvoa.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D7566919%26nav%3DHMO6HMaW&rnd=46038166)

earlyriser26
01-25-2008, 15:57
Cowboy Is A Human!!< Leave Him Alone!!
Anyone that can hike the trail in 30 days is not human. I would say somewhere between saint and God.:)

TOW
01-25-2008, 19:37
Supporting this guy in his delusion is not helping him. This cannot be done the way he intends to do it and to encourage him would be encouraging him to get hurt.
I agree with you, but his mind is made up it seems and all poking at him aside I say let's be this guys friend because he needs one! And it is good to see that most who have poked at him are doing it now, me included.......

Smile
01-25-2008, 19:40
Just let him do his thing and see what happens. No need to beat a dead horse on here about this.

It's a great day today! :)

Frau
01-25-2008, 20:01
Wish I could view the video. I get a message that I can't play the MIME format.

Frau

Skidsteer
01-25-2008, 20:18
Wish I could view the video. I get a message that I can't play the MIME format.

Frau

Probably best.

Cowboy looks to be in reasonable condition but that's not the same as being a sure enough Runner.

If he makes 40 the first day I'll be very impressed with his mental preparation.

River Runner
01-26-2008, 01:51
do as you wish but dont let having told the news channel and touting your speedhike here make you think you cant have a change of heart for your own health and well being

Cowboy,

You can decide to do a more normal paced thru hike without losing face by just telling the media you thought about what your mom would have wanted & you decided she would have wanted you to take the time to smell the roses. Mom's are like that, ya' know.

You would also get a lot of support from this forum. You've seen how many are worried you might injure yourself by trying a speed hike. Make it about your Mom instead of your pride.

Heater
01-26-2008, 02:22

Sure.

The video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc)

Caveman of Ohio
01-26-2008, 02:35
Will Cowboy be going through Trail days? Or will be well past that area at that time of the month?

Nearly Normal
01-26-2008, 09:58
http://invention.psychology.msstate.edu/i/Chanute/library/photos/Prog_Fig5.gif

He may need something like this to help him along.

longwe tru
01-26-2008, 11:18
That is hilarious! :banana I might want to borrow it ...does it have a motor?:D

Nearly Normal
01-26-2008, 11:56
This might be better.

http://www.alexross.com/80932-big.jpg

doggiebag
01-26-2008, 12:20
Couldn't resist.
http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/inflatable-cowboy-horse-costume-1.jpg

Lone Wolf
01-26-2008, 12:22
ain't that Appalachian Tater?

DAKS
01-26-2008, 14:58
nice one doggiebag!!!

longwe tru
01-26-2008, 16:20
the graphics are amazing...how do you do that?? must have to be computer savey! I am having a hard enough time getting my journal going with photos

wildcowboy238
01-28-2008, 12:01
Just popped in ....wont be back for a week so if I dion't responde to the thread have faith I will when I get back... May 1st is still a ways off so be good and God Bless...

jesse
01-28-2008, 12:09
why don't you wait until you finish the hike. I think everybody is done hearing and talking about what you are going to do.

whiterockjock
01-29-2008, 10:26
My only relply to all this nonsense...this man is obviously a very disturbed individual and has no concept of reality! He must be "training' on another planet with 1/7 the gravitational pull of earth and the air must be very thin up there! Hope he gets some professional help instead of attention and encouragement!!!

Semper Fi!