PDA

View Full Version : Gear List

partinj
01-22-2008, 13:36
Well here is final gear list everthink maybe some small things what do you think

ScottP
01-22-2008, 13:44
With the very heavy weight of your pack, you will only be able to do slow, short days. There's nothing wrong with that, but it also means that you'll be spending a lot of time in camp just hanging out. You'll need some sort of insulation--a down or synthetic filled jacket to keep you warm.

Alligator
01-22-2008, 13:50
Ditch the candle lantern and Mini Mag and pick up a headlamp (LED).

JAK
01-22-2008, 14:06
Ditch the mini mag and pickup a headlamp, but keep the candle lantern. Love those things. :sun

booney_1
01-23-2008, 16:51
If you add food and water you have a HEAVY pack.

I would suggest a down jacket to wear under the rain coat. It can be quite cold in the north carolina mountains.

It's hard to tell where your extra weight is, but I think you need to find some areas to cut back. After mount rogers you can swap out your sleeping bag for a lighter one.

I have a sierra designs tent much like the spit fire, and it is fairly light. BUT in cold weather (non-bug) I can use the fly and poles with a foot print. So it's like a tarp.

You might consider using a tarp and ground cloth until bugs are an issue (end of may?).

This could save 3 pounds...

have fun!!

Appalachian Tater
01-23-2008, 20:15
I think all of your "big 4" stuff is about 50% heavier than it could be.
A candle lantern is insane at 8 oz. when all you need is a <2 oz. headlamp. You need that anyway if you want to set up a tent, cook, eat, or pee in the dark.
No Nalgene, get a Gatorade or Aquafina bottle or a Platypus.

You're probably thinking some of that stuff will be nice to have. It probably would be if you didn't have to carry it. You're going to be climbing up and down mountains all day. You will be ditching as much stuff as you can at Neel's Gap and probably even more later.

Do yourself a favor and put everything in a big pile and divide it into two piles: absolutely cannot do without (TP, sleeping bag, etc.) and stuff you don't need to survive. Then take the pile of absolutely necessary stuff and see where you might lighten it with substitutions. Take the other pile and put it in the garage and leave it there.

booney_1
01-23-2008, 20:57
Check the thru-hiker forum. Somebody just posted a list that is 20pounds.

You have to be brutally efficient to get the weight down.

What type of camp shoes are you bringing? In the other forum somebody pointed out that flip flops weigh much less than crocs(11 oz). Cross country running flats weigh about half the weight of crocs but provide better protection than flip flops.

If you really like candle light, just bring a candle. skip the lantern.

SGT Rock
01-23-2008, 21:53
I agree, the candle lantern is about the only thing I would probably abandon.

I see you start in about 2 weeks. Good luck and stay warm.

10-K
01-25-2008, 10:49
Ditch the candle lantern and Mini Mag and pick up a headlamp (LED).

You can have my candle lantern when you can pry it from my cold, dead fingers. You can have the mini-mag.....

Thomas