PDA

View Full Version : Sections where hammocks won't work???

Shiloh
01-22-2008, 17:20
I am warming up to the idea of a hammock for my 2008 thru-hike.

Can anyone provide info on specific sections of the AT where hammocks are not practical or allowable???

I am looking for details such as from trail mile X to trail mile Y -or- from landmark 1 to landmark 2 -or- shelter A to shelter B.

I am NOT looking for the Pro's and Con's of hammocks. I got a major brain cramp last night from trying to follow all of the hundred's of (sometimes heated) posts on that topic last night.

Thanx and Cheers,

Wes "Shiloh" Riley

warraghiyagey
01-22-2008, 17:26
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lengthy section on the trail that didn't have two trees close enough to put up a hammock.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-22-2008, 17:32
Coffee just completed a SOBO thru with hammock - I'm sure he can tell you if there is any lengthy stretch where a hammock cannot be used.

Shiloh
01-22-2008, 18:35
Good point W

- I'm not asking about short stretches of balds, and meadows, and such. I'm looking more for info on likely overnight areas where a hammock won't work for one reason or another.

My guess is there are few if any, but you never know unless you ask.

HighlanderII
01-22-2008, 19:13
The Whites in NH (more specifically the above or close to above treeline area of the Presidentials (about 25 miles), Franconias (about 25 miles), the top of Moosilake maybe 5 miles), Saddleback in ME but really only at the very top (maybe a mile). Also the Grayland (or Graceland) Highlands in VA just north of Damascus might be more difficult to hammock in although this section is maybe 10 miles or less. In the Smokies you're supposed to stay in the shelters so you might not technically be able to hammock there but there are the trees that you would need.

Just like with a tent if you can afford to walk a little ways (up to 5 miles) in most areas you should have not problem. The areas where a hammock would be a problem would also be a problem for tenters so the issue is no different for anyone.

All that said, I use(d) a tent for my hikes on the AT.

sly dog
01-22-2008, 19:26
The only downfall is there were a couple times people were invited to a property that allowed campers to stay in their yard but trees were too spaced apart so the hammocker slept on the ground or a ways away from the others.

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 19:28
Using a hammock in the Smokies isn't really an issue even with the rule - especially in thru-hiker season. Just plan to get to whatever shelter you want to use and then don't go to claim a space until late in the day, then the shelter will be full and probably beyond max capacity. Then by the rules you are allowe to camp outside the shelter.

BigCat
01-22-2008, 22:51
They only two places I couldn't hang were the camping are at Trent's Grocery in Va. and in the immediate area of Thomas Knob shelter.

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 00:32
...Trent's Grocery in Va. ...
Great place. It was 5 bucks for a tentsite and free use of laundry and shower.

BigCat
01-23-2008, 12:04
Great place. It was 5 bucks for a tentsite and free use of laundry and shower.

yeah, it was nice. had the whole place to myself except for some horses and some hogs in a pen. and boy, lemme tell you -- those hogs do NOT like it when the horses lean over the fence and eat their food.

i ended up tying my rainfly between a picnic table and a utility pole and sleeping on the ground.

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 12:53
yeah, it was nice. had the whole place to myself except for some horses and some hogs in a pen. and boy, lemme tell you -- those hogs do NOT like it when the horses lean over the fence and eat their food.

i ended up tying my rainfly between a picnic table and a utility pole and sleeping on the ground.
I didn't see the hogs, but this is the horse; he was lonely and wanted a lot of attention. I kinda felt sorry for him.

hammock engineer
01-23-2008, 13:04
The only place I saw you couldn't hang within 20 yards of where I wanted to stay was on a bald or above treeline. Most people do not or cannot tent above treeline anyways. I only hammocked 2 nights in the Whites. I could have everynight. That was more because I brused my tailbone and it hurt to sleep in my hammock.

Every non-hammocker with throw the whites out. I didn't see one person tenting above treeline in the whites. Most people stay at the huts. Laconia (spelling) north of lincoln, NH is more than doable in a day, it took me way under being a southbounder and sitting on Mt Lincoln for 3 hours. The only place you might have to hut is over Washington. It is about a 14 or so mile ridgewalk. Lake of the Clouds hut in the middle did not turn any thru hiker I knew of down for a work for stay.

There is a few miles north of Palmerton, PA that is moonscape due to a Zinc processing plant. Not more than a couple hours hike. There were some trees, but I wouldn't stay up there or drink any water from that. Plus Palmerton is my favorite town on the AT in terms of cheap and accessable town services. Not to be missed.

Don't listen if people tell you that you can not hammock somewhere. You will be able to anywhere expect balds and above the treeline on the trail. PM me if you have any questions.

Oh and there is a hostel that has a list of the stealth sites through the whites. The AMC does a great job of piling up logs and sticks on them, but that won't be an issue in a hammock

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-23-2008, 13:10
Thanks for weighing in here, Coffee (formerly Hammock Engineer)

Shiloh
01-23-2008, 14:03
Ditto - Thanks Coffee (HE). This is exactly the type of insight I was looking for.

I think that I am going to go with a hammock. I will give it a good break-in over the next six weeks or so before starting out on my thru-hike in March.

HighlanderII
01-23-2008, 20:13
That's a great idea to try out your hammock before you leave. If you haven't tried the rest of your gear, it would be a good idea. The first night on Springer is a bad time to find out that the stove doesn't work or your tarp/nighttime rain system needs 6 stakes instead of the 4 that came with it...

hammock engineer
01-24-2008, 04:32
Ditto - Thanks Coffee (HE). This is exactly the type of insight I was looking for.

I think that I am going to go with a hammock. I will give it a good break-in over the next six weeks or so before starting out on my thru-hike in March.

No problem. I am now living in your part of the world.

Let me know if you have any issues with hammocking. I'll probibly do an overnight somewhere next month, a big group of hammockers are going to Mt Rogers this weekend.

Mr. Clean
01-24-2008, 05:49
As far as the Whites go, esp. around Washington, it is only a short walk down a myriad of side trails to get to trees big enough for hanging. Yeah, it's steep and you have to hike back up, but it is possible if need be.