PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Pages

Doughnut
01-22-2008, 17:46
Just got my copy, I'll be up all night reading!!
Wonderful Job, Guys well worth the price!

dough Nut

neo
01-23-2008, 22:08
:)i just got mine in the mail today:cool:neo

Lyle
01-23-2008, 22:41
I just went ahead and ordered a copy.

Phreak
01-23-2008, 22:41
Received mine today. Nice job!

hopefulhiker
01-23-2008, 23:24
Really great work on the Appalachian Pages data book. I like the profiles, perforated pages, the way the data is laid out.. It is inspiring and looks better than Wingfoots book.....

neo
01-24-2008, 12:02
:)i just got mine in the mail today:cool:neo

actually i like :)it better than the thru hiker handbook:cool:neo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 12:17
Has anyone with knowledge of the various towns looked it over closely enough to see if the issues that were raised about accuracy were fixed or not? That has been the main reason I have been afraid to recommend this resource.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 12:33
Has anyone with knowledge of the various towns looked it over closely enough to see if the issues that were raised about accuracy were fixed or not? That has been the main reason I have been afraid to recommend this resource.
The thru-hike's handbook (2006) was a little misleading on town info/maps. I'd be willing to bet that this year's edition is improved.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 12:38
The thru-hike's handbook (2006) was a little misleading on town info/maps. I'd be willing to bet that this year's edition is improved.I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy, but that doesn't tell me if the problems noted in the sample pages of Appalachian Pages were rectified. They are two separate publications published by completely different people.

Alligator
01-24-2008, 12:49
Has anyone with knowledge of the various towns looked it over closely enough to see if the issues that were raised about accuracy were fixed or not? That has been the main reason I have been afraid to recommend this resource.Being a first hand user of the product is probably the best approach to providing a recommendation. Buy or borrow a copy.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 12:56
I'll buy it once it is established it is accurate. For now, I do my own section guides from info available on-line (not the ALDHA Companion before anyone howls) and print it out. Neither The Companion (bad format) nor the Thru-Hiker's Handbook (inaccurate) met my needs. This new resource won't either if it isn't accurate.

Alligator
01-24-2008, 13:08
I think it is unfortunate FD that you continue to plant seeds of doubt regarding the accuracy of this work without actually having seen a complete copy. It might actually be considered somewhat damaging if you were to think about it. Since you don't plan to buy it yet, perhaps after a full hiking season a better evaluation could be arrived at before making a solid recommendation?

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 13:10
I think the Thru-hiker's handbook was getting out of date, because Wingfoot was burning-out (pure speculation on my part). One day (2007) while sitting in a laundromat in Erwing, I was considering doing a cycling trip of the East Coast, through all the Appalachian trail towns to help him update his map/services info, never got the chance to approach him about this because he....well we all know what happened.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 13:36
Questioning the accuracy after some of the the most knowledge members said the sample pages were inaccurate is not out-of-line IMO. I checked the info myself and the sample pages were indeed inaccurate. I will be asking the same questions about accuracy when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out because it has been historically inaccurate. I will be looking at the ALDHA Companion again this year to see if they fixed the awful format - hey, it could happen ;). I kind of get the feeling you think I should should just rubber-stamp my approval because of who is involved - that isn't going to happen. If the product is solid, I will recommend it - if it isn't, I won't.

Survivor Dave
01-24-2008, 13:42
I picked up a couple at Mountain Crossings today. It has some cool stuff in it. I have the TH Companion as well and I'll make a decision on what to take. I have a bit of loyalty to the Companion, Sorry Troll, but am open minded about it.

The shelves up there have more of Trolls' book than the Companion! Must be 75 copies!

SD

Alligator
01-24-2008, 14:17
Questioning the accuracy after some of the the most knowledge members said the sample pages were inaccurate is not out-of-line IMO. I checked the info myself and the sample pages were indeed inaccurate. I will be asking the same questions about accuracy when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out because it has been historically inaccurate. I will be looking at the ALDHA Companion again this year to see if they fixed the awful format - hey, it could happen ;). I kind of get the feeling you think I should should just rubber-stamp my approval because of who is involved - that isn't going to happen. If the product is solid, I will recommend it - if it isn't, I won't.I never said to rubberstamp anything. I suggested you test drive the material before suggesting it was inaccurate. Even Jack, one of the knowledgeable members of whom you are speaking, found your questioning of any innaccuracies illogical.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=465978
You really do seem to have it out for this publication.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2008, 14:24
Well, since my name came up:

If people want to comment about the features of a new publication, I think that's great.

But actually COMPARING them to other works without having actually examined and read the 2008 versions of these other works......well, I think that's to be avoided.

If one hasn't actually looked at the latest version of a particular work, then I can't see how one can, with any fairness, "compare" it to another.

People have asked me what I think of the new book and how it compares to the other older guidebooks. My answer is that I don't know what to think of it because I haven't yet read it, and that I'll refrain from "comparing" it to other available books til I've had a look at all of them.

Other people can do whatever they wish, but comparing a piece of literature to another piece of literature that one hasn't yet read......well, this doesn't seem very wise, but maybe that's just me.

attroll
01-24-2008, 14:31
Questioning the accuracy after some of the the most knowledge members said the sample pages were inaccurate is not out-of-line IMO. I checked the info myself and the sample pages were indeed inaccurate. I will be asking the same questions about accuracy when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out because it has been historically inaccurate. I will be looking at the ALDHA Companion again this year to see if they fixed the awful format - hey, it could happen ;). I kind of get the feeling you think I should should just rubber-stamp my approval because of who is involved - that isn't going to happen. If the product is solid, I will recommend it - if it isn't, I won't.
FD

Keep in mind that the sample pages that you are referring to for Appalachian Pages were the pages that we first put online when we proposed how the book was going to look before we actually started doing the research and collecting data and calling places and having our team do the research, ect. They were just that “sample pages” of what we proposed the book to look like. The sample pages were corrected after we got the data for the particular town map.

You and others are under the assumption that the owner of the Thru-hiker’s Handbook visited every town and every establishment. While he did visit a lot of places and talk to a lot of people he did not visit every establishment. Bob and the Thru-Hiker’s Handbook is still a great resource and probably the one of the top books to use that are out there. I hope Bob great success as well.

Creek Dancer
01-24-2008, 14:37
I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy, but that doesn't tell me if the problems noted in the sample pages of Appalachian Pages were rectified. They are two separate publications published by completely different people.

With respect to Appalachian Pages, I believe the sample pages were just that - sample pages of the layout and type of information you can expect to find in the guidebook. At least that is what I assumed when I looked over the sample pages before I purchased the guidebook.

Volunteers indeed visited towns to collect and verify accuracy of town information for the Applachian Pages guidebook.

Attroll - our posts crossed in cyberspace. Please correct anything I may have misrepresented.

The Old Fhart
01-24-2008, 15:12
Frolicking Dinosaurs-"I know the author of the Thru-Hiker Handbook actually visited the towns himself to collect info and verify accuracy...."Wrong. Dan may have contacted some services listed in the book but he also relied heavily on feedback from hikers, he didn't visit many of the places listed at all. From Dan Bruce's introduction of the 2004 Thru-Hiker's Handbook:
"We make the best possible effort to ensure accuracy by updating annually and contacting each of the places listed herein.... What should you do when you find the handbook does not match... Addresses for sending feedback are listed in the front of this book, and so next year's thru-hikers will know who to thank, you will be acknowledged as a contributor in the 2005 edition."
In the back under 'Acknowledgments', he writes(edited to shorten):
"...Without the help of those who take the trouble to share information, this guide would not be possible.[lists 32 people] ... Thanks is also extended to the various members of the various A.T. clubs who provided valuable information...to [ATC,Baxter, etc]... postmasters...owners and managers of the businesses and services listed herein for supplying data used to update the information about towns and services."

update Alligator has been kind enough to inform me that FD was probably talking about the new Thru-Hiker's Handbook editor, Bob. I know he said he would be visiting people but seeing the book apparently just gone to press and will be available at the end of January, that is still futureware.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 16:03
ATTroll, I'm not trying to say your book is inaccurate -- I just asked if anyone had checked it for accuracy. The sample pages may have well been put up before they were checked - and if that is the case the finished product won't have this problem. Asking a question isn't the same thing as saying something is true.

I know this was a huge undertaking and I wish you and AWOL the best in this endeavor. I like the format and if the accuracy is there, it may well meet my needs.

Doughnut
01-24-2008, 18:28
Sorry I brought it up guys,

Dough Nut

hopefulhiker
01-25-2008, 16:26
Certain questions from moderators from the Jurassic period notwithstanding, I think that the Appalachian Pages ought to be given a chance to prove itself...

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2008, 16:35
Hopeful:

Your last comment was a pretty low gutter shot, even for you.

The Moderation on this website is fine, and F.D. deserves better from that.

"Moderators from the Jurassic period?"

Any more slams or slurs of people midle-aged or older?

Anyone else you want to insult?

You know, for a professionally offended liberal, who screams "Bias attack!"
or ""Stop the Hate Speech!" every ten minutes, your comment about "Jurrasic" posters here at Whiteblaze was pretty ugly.

Plus, you ain't exactly the yougest person on this website, bub.

Pitiful.

Alligator
01-25-2008, 16:40
Com'n Jack, he was referring to her trailname, it does include dinosaur. I'm not saying his post was necessary today, but I don't think he was referring to her age.

hopefulhiker
01-25-2008, 16:40
FD is one my favorite people period, It was meant as a little humor.. "Jurrasic" , "Dinosaur" Get it? Jack you are starting to carry chips on other peoples's shouders too.

I really like the Appalacinan Pages and plan to use them this year for some section hikes...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 16:52
Certain questions from moderators from the Jurassic period notwithstanding, I think that the Appalachian Pages ought to be given a chance to prove itself...As do I. HH, we agree on this point.

You've thru-hiked in the past few years -- does it look accurate to you? That is all I'm asking - for some people familiar with the trail to look Appalachian Pages over with accuracy in mind. No vendetta here - no hidden agenda - just an honest question. I'll be looking for an answer to the same question when The Thru-Hiker's Handbook comes out.

hopefulhiker
01-25-2008, 17:32
I think you have to hike with it to be able to judge.. Anyway someone said that Wingfoot wasn't doing one this year.. Is that right..Is someone else doing it?

Pedaling Fool
01-25-2008, 17:42
I think you have to hike with it to be able to judge.. Anyway someone said that Wingfoot wasn't doing one this year.. Is that right..Is someone else doing it?
You spend too much time in the Politics Forum.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 17:44
Yes, HH, someone bought Wingfoot's web site and his book. The guy was doing a lot of research and traveling to try to improve the accuracy. Guess we'll see if he did when it comes out.

Good point about needing to hike with the new books to determine accuracy, but some here - like Jack Tarlin, Lone Wolf, Warren Doyle, Hammock Hanger, Pirate, etc. - know the trail well enough to make a pretty decent armchair call on the accuracy.

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 18:03
Just got mine yesterday. Thanks.
Looks great Troll! Love the imbedded profiles.
Looking forward to using it in real-time.
I'm a trail geek, I have all three books.
Compared to the logistical pleasures of planning, the cost-benefit ration was good.
:sun

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2008, 18:03
F.D.:

Since you brought it up, I'll comment on the new book, as well as on the 2008versions of the existing guides, after I've had a chance to look at all of them.

As soon as I get to read all of this year's books, I'll be happy to review them, and I hope other people do so as well.

Furlough
01-25-2008, 18:15
I am still waiting on mine, but plan to use it during sections through out Va. this year. I will post how things go after each section here and on the Appalachian Pages site. At any rate book(s) or no book(s) I am looking forward to hitting the trail this year.

Furlough

johnny quest
01-25-2008, 18:36
im looking forward to mine. the reviews ive read have been promising. i know alot of forethought went into it.

Skyline
01-25-2008, 19:01
There are some definite reasons to recommend the new Appalachian Pages.

The format is desirable. Town info on the left, trail info on the right. The mileage markers don't always line up exactly on facing pages, but they're close enough. Not sure how that would work logistically anyway.

The superimposed trail profiles are a good thing. The info in the sections for Shenandoah National Park and the town of Luray--the only parts I've really gone over well--is pretty accurate and mostly complete. I did notice some typos, a pet peeve of mine, but nothing that would confuse anyone using it to navigate on-trail or within a town.

All in all, at first glance a welcome addition to the AT scene.

johnny quest
01-28-2008, 13:09
just got mine in the mail and i think awol and attroll did a great job! the design was well thought-out! i am happy to have played a tiny part in it and am anxious to put it to use.

RadioFreq
01-29-2008, 19:04
I've been through this thread several times and all over the home page.
I can't find anywhere to take a look at a sample of this book. I am 13
months away from Springer and I am starting to get serious about just
which trail book I'm going to use. If there is a link to a sample someone
please post it.

RadioFreq
01-29-2008, 19:07
please post it.

Just spotted it on another post.

Hooch
01-29-2008, 19:07
please post it.Here's (http://appalachianpages.com/) a link with samples on the home page. Good luck! :D

highway
02-02-2008, 08:50
What is the physical dimension of the book?

Weight?

Furlough
02-02-2008, 09:01
What is the physical dimension of the book?

Weight?

5 inches by 8 inches. No clue on the weight.

Furlough

attroll
02-02-2008, 09:03
5 inches by 8 inches. No clue on the weight.

Furlough
weight is 6.5 oz

Doughnut
02-02-2008, 09:04
In a ziplock, all the pages (entire book) unbound.... 6.7 oz, according to the scale I won at SORUCK (I love that thing)

Of course, just carry the pages you need.....

Dough Nut

highway
02-02-2008, 09:18
It sure does not take long to get an answer on Whiteblaze. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Now, AWOL, will Rebecca at our local Cocoa/Rockledge 'Basecamp' be selling them or should I order through your site?

Doughnut
02-02-2008, 10:13
ATTROLL,
Sorry, Didn't notice you'd already answered the question.

Dough Nut

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 10:40
I asked this in another thread, but I guess it got overlooked - are there any user options besides bound or unbound, NOBO or SOBO? The reason I ask is I'm a section hiker. Section hikers often hike over a number of years. Since there is an unbound option, it would seem the ability to sell the guidebooks in section would be there - this would give section hikers the ability to buy just the section needed for a particular year and to have the guide they used be up-to-date for the section they were actually hiking that year. This would be a huge plus for sectioners.

rafe
02-02-2008, 11:14
I asked this in another thread, but I guess it got overlooked - are there any user options besides bound or unbound, NOBO or SOBO? The reason I ask is I'm a section hiker. Section hikers often hike over a number of years. Since there is an unbound option, it would seem the ability to sell the guidebooks in section would be there - this would give section hikers the ability to buy just the section needed for a particular year and to have the guide they used be up-to-date for the section they were actually hiking that year. This would be a huge plus for sectioners.

Too bad you're writing off the simplest and most obvious answer, Dino...;) (you know my answer from that "other thread.")

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-02-2008, 11:33
Terrapin - I like the format of this book much better than the ALDHA Companion. I'm just trying to find out if something along the lines of a multi-year subscription or a sell-by-section option is available from this source.

BigCat
02-02-2008, 13:38
I assume the source data comes from the same place as the Companion? The reason I ask is that last year I remember a couple of us being miffed at the crazy directions for water at Laurel Creek Shelter in Va:

Water is west on the A.T., 45 yards south of the shelter junction.

So we backtracked southbound and couldn't find the stream. Then after lunch we continued on, preparing ourselves to be thirsty when we saw a huge stream 45 yards in the nobo direction. Since day one, the Companion had taught us to consider the trail towards Maine as north and vice versa without regard for the actual compass heading. So here at the 659 mark they deviated from that plan?

So imagine my sadness when I saw the sample page on appalachianpages.com that had the same entry:

Water west on AT, 45 yrds south of shelter junction.

Who supplies this info? The trail clubs?

Why not just say:
"Water 45 yards north on AT" like every other similar entry?

Ok, /RANT OVER

Terry7
02-02-2008, 14:04
I just got my copy of A.pages. They came in at Mount Rodgers Outfitters [I never buy things thru the mail]. I like the lay out, my only gripe is I thought the town info was not as informative as the thru hiker. With that said, A.Pages will be the book I carry.

warren doyle
02-02-2008, 14:07
I don't worry about the compare/contrast discussion concerning the Companion, Appalachian Pages, Handbook simply because all I need is the ever-reliable, economical and mostly accurate AT Data Book.

highway
02-02-2008, 16:04
My local outfitter on the east coast of central Florida had some copies and I bought one this afternoon. I love the size, format and it even comes in a most pleasing darkish (olive) green color. What more could I ask?

The above stated weights for it were slightly off, though. On my calibrated scale the bound book, with correction page weighs 0.41 pounds or 6.56 ounces, still less than the Companion's 8.64 ounces

kirbysf
02-02-2008, 16:41
I think the Thru-hiker's handbook was getting out of date, because Wingfoot was burning-out (pure speculation on my part). One day (2007) while sitting in a laundromat in Erwing, I was considering doing a cycling trip of the East Coast, through all the Appalachian trail towns to help him update his map/services info, never got the chance to approach him about this because he....well we all know what happened.

No, what happened?

Pedaling Fool
02-02-2008, 17:31
No, what happened?
He's no longer part of the AT community.

Almost There
02-02-2008, 18:55
I ordered the book and got it in about a week. I like what I have seen so far of it.

kirbysf
02-03-2008, 09:10
He's no longer part of the AT community.

Why is he no longer part of the AT community?

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2008, 09:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26490&highlight=trailplace+closed

dixicritter
02-03-2008, 10:08
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26490&highlight=trailplace+closed

Better yet... ;)

http://www.trailplace.com/farewell.html

attroll
02-03-2008, 23:20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=522653&postcount=115

thia
03-13-2012, 16:27
this book appears to be out of stock - $180.00 or so used on Amazon! any idea where to find it reasonably?

trippclark
03-13-2012, 16:33
this book appears to be out of stock - $180.00 or so used on Amazon! any idea where to find it reasonably?

The book is no longer being produced, but one of the co-authors of Appalachian Pages continues to produce "The A.T. Guide," which continues the innovative features of Appalachian Pages, plus new enhancements. The AT Guide is produced annually, and sold at a reasonable price with current information. Go to http://www.theatguide.com/