PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire

pevans
01-22-2008, 22:07
A friend and I are going to hike this summer and we are wondering what your thoughts are on hiking through N.H.
Any comments would be appreciated.

A-Train
01-22-2008, 22:12
It's beautiful
It's challenging
It's crowded

Kirby
01-22-2008, 23:05
Well, depends on which part. I have done a decent amount of hiking in the Whites, and is is pure amazing. Start at Glencliff and hike north till you feel like stopping, it is very easy to get off a mountain in the Whites, there are a lot of trails up there.

Kirby

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 23:08
A friend and I are going to hike this summer and we are wondering what your thoughts are on hiking through N.H.
Any comments would be appreciated.

==============================

Pack your lunch and your camera. You'll need a lot of energy and you'll want to take a lot of pictures !!

'Slogger

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 00:28
The views are like nowhere else - Mt Washington: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13700&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936

EAnderson
01-23-2008, 00:53
Not sure if you are just looking to hike the AT thru NH or looking for shorter hikes in the Whites. Hikes like Franconia Ridge or the Presidentials are obvious choices, but are crowded. That being said, in the summer, any trail in the Whites can be crowded. There are lots of great non AT hikes in the Whites, and the views are just as great. Osceola and West Bond/Bond/Bondcliff have some of my favorite views, and trails like Ammonoosuc, Edmands, or Caps Ridge or great hikes to the Presidentials that can create nice loops. I'd pick up a copy of the White Mountain Guide and check out the suggested hikes at the end of each section. Also, Steve Smith has a good book on the 4000-Footers.

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 07:43
Enjoy the show. :sun

wakapak
01-23-2008, 13:15
beautiful, no matter where you go!!
Enjoy it!

peakbagger
01-23-2008, 13:57
When you plan your trip, you want to factor in that the ME NH line is in the middle of the Mahoosucs. Traditionally you can add a couple of days and come out on RT 26 in Maine or stop short of the line in Gorham NH. Gorham is handy in that its a trail town with services and bus service. RT 26 is a remote spot where you will either need to leave a car (not recomended) or hitch down to Bethel. Unfortunately the options for taking a side trail aftter crossing the Maine line are limited, most of the side go north of the trail and end up on Success Pond Road, a remote logging road, that may be a otugh hitch. The only trail heading south after the Maine line ends up on a dead end logging road.

I would strongly recomend south to north as southbound out of Gorham is not a place for someone out of condition.

DawnTreader
01-23-2008, 14:00
If your going to hike in New Hampshire, I would strongly suggest NOT sticking to the AT... There is so much to see, so much to do... get the AMC Maps, and Blue Blaze the hell out of that state.. Make sure to hit Mt. Chocoura.. fantastic...

DCHiker
01-23-2008, 14:09
A little off the subject, but have any of you hiked the Captain in NH? It's a trailless mountain. I bushwacked it about 15 years ago and would like to know what others thought of it or if anyone could recommend a few more trailless peaks up there?

Kerosene
01-23-2008, 15:44
Make sure you're in backpacking shape; plan on hiking a full one mph slower than normal from Glencliff to Gorham; plan for cold temperatures; and see if you can push your hike out until mid-September when there's less chance of afternoon thunderstorms while you're trying to cover the 20+ miles of ridges above treeline. Also, given yourself some extra time so you can take pictures like these (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=12647)!

DuctTape
01-24-2008, 01:02
Are you aware of the AMC hut system along the AT? They charge you an arm and a leg to stay overnight, and in many cases it's "illegal" to camp in unofficial areas (aka huts). http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/index.cfm

The terrain is rough, so plan on short-mileage days. Also don't miss the Presidential Range and Franconia Ridge.

A-Train
01-24-2008, 01:07
If your going to hike in New Hampshire, I would strongly suggest NOT sticking to the AT... There is so much to see, so much to do... get the AMC Maps, and Blue Blaze the hell out of that state.. Make sure to hit Mt. Chocoura.. fantastic...

Agreed. Explore the Pemi Wilderness, Bondcliffs, Tuckermans/Amanoosuc Ravine Trails, Canon Mtn, etc. Lotsa people on the AT

Kirby
01-24-2008, 22:04
Agreed. Explore the Pemi Wilderness, Bondcliffs, Tuckermans/Amanoosuc Ravine Trails, Canon Mtn, etc. Lotsa people on the AT

If ones is going to explore the Tuckerman's Ravine Trail, I suggest going up it, and not down it. For a Washington day hike, I went up Tuckerman's and down Lion's Head.

Kirby