PDA

View Full Version : What is the soapy residue?

DuctTape
01-23-2008, 00:06
I've noticed in the mountain streams on many, many occasions that what appears to be soap suds collect in certain places.

Does anybody know what this is? Seriously?

SGT Rock
01-23-2008, 00:10
You mean like this:

http://www.fosc.org/AL-FoamMay2006.htm

SGT Rock
01-23-2008, 00:12
"Natural" foaming occurs when small aquatic organisms (such as algae) die and decompose, releasing a variety of organic compounds. The tea colored water you described would indicate tannic acids in the water, which is a by-product of organic decomposition of vegetation. As wind or currents stir the water, foam is produced and can accumulate in quantities on windward shores or in eddies. The natural foam has a somewhat earthy or fishy aroma, and it breaks down rather quickly. Foam from silt or erosion is usually a dirty brown color. Foam is often seen in the early morning hours and is gone by midday. Detergent foam, by contrast, will have a noticeable perfumy smell from additives which give your wash that "rosegarden" or "lemon fresh" smell. Detergent pollution and foam can be a problem in our area, but the foam will be localized close to the source of the discharge.
and

This phenomenon is caused by several compounds found in plant cell wall material: cellulose, lignin and hemicellulose
So it could be pollution, but more likely plants causing it.

Nest
01-23-2008, 00:19
I've always avoided getting water from sources with that foam in it. Is it safe to drink from? I use a filter, but even with chemicals, or untreated.

Tennessee Viking
01-23-2008, 00:49
If I remember some early biology. They are strands of proteins from algae, decaying matter, and plant matter. You can usually find them at waterfalls and even the ocean. I wouldn't necessarily drink water directly from foam piles, the extra protein is probably YUCK!

State of Pennsylvania FBC states:
"Generally, foam on natural waters is often caused by natural phenomenon unless it has a perfume smell typical of many soaps and detergents. Natural materials occurring in water (algae) or leached from the soil that reduce the surface tension of water have the ability to produce foam."

You can create your own foam by boiling up some pasta.

Nest
01-23-2008, 00:56
Ok, so if it doesn't have a "perfume" smell then it is safe to drink from that souce? Not straight from the foam pile of course.

DuctTape
01-23-2008, 15:01
Thanks for clearing this up - it's something I'd always wondered about.

Footslogger
01-23-2008, 15:03
I've noticed in the mountain streams on many, many occasions that what appears to be soap suds collect in certain places.

Does anybody know what this is? Seriously?

================================

It's protein scum ...from nutrient rich water. You get the same thing on the surface of aquariums ocassionally.

'Slogger

GGS2
01-23-2008, 15:50
Before you conclude it's natural, look upstream for a pulp mill or a land fill. Just sayin'.