PDA

View Full Version : Video "North to Katahdin"

Desert Lobster
12-29-2003, 20:20
If anybody has seen this 28 minute documentary, what is your opinion of it?

uscgretired
12-29-2003, 21:29
If anybody has seen this 28 minute documentary, what is your opinion of it?

I purchased the tape over Ebay and have watched it twice. My only complaint: too short. Could have watched several more hours of it. I received email from the Producer/Director of the tape and he indicated that his investors wanted the tape to be only 15 minutes but he insisted on the 28. He said it was extremely expensive to make and the film development was the biggest expense.

I see that it is still being sold over Ebay. I paid $16 for it but now it is going for 4-6 dollars plus media shipping. I have at one time or another purchased every video available about the AT and this one is one of the better ones. Esthetically pleasing with forest and wildlife sounds in the backgroud.

At the current price for the video, it would be money well spent.

Frogge
Georgia/Tennessee Section Hiker (Spring 2004)

Peaks
12-30-2003, 10:22
Are you talking about the new video by Doug Morse? If so, I saw it at the Gathering in October.

It's entertaining, not educational. His intent was to interview several hikers at various places along the AT. He got great interviews of several people starting out at Springer, fewer in New York, and one at Katahdin. I wish he could have gotten more footage of the end of the trail.

Doug does tell it like it is. It's got the red necks in there, it's got the druggies, it's got the dog. So, he interviewed a good cross section of the type of people out there on the trail.

Skyline
12-30-2003, 11:12
The "North to Katahdin" video I have is copyright 1992 by Thomas Hogeboom, and is only 28 mins. long. Not bad IMO but Five Million Steps, Trail Magic, and some of Lynne Wheldon's other work is better, again IMO.

I'd be interested in the previously mentioned Doug Morse video. Most of the videos I've seen on the A.T. are from the early to mid-'90s and one of more recent vintage would be worth considering. The Trail and gear have changed, some hikers come to the Trail better prepared, and there are just more of 'em. Is this video available for purchase? Is it available in DVD format?

uscgretired
12-30-2003, 11:46
Are you talking about the new video by Doug Morse? If so, I saw it at the Gathering in October.

It's entertaining, not educational. His intent was to interview several hikers at various places along the AT. He got great interviews of several people starting out at Springer, fewer in New York, and one at Katahdin. I wish he could have gotten more footage of the end of the trail.

Doug does tell it like it is. It's got the red necks in there, it's got the druggies, it's got the dog. So, he interviewed a good cross section of the type of people out there on the trail.

Peak,

The "North To Katahdin" I am talking about is the one by Thomas Hogeboom done in 16mm film. Obviously, not the one you are talking about. Are you sure it was called "North To Katahdin"? This one does not have "Rednecks" or druggies in it just thru-hikers.

Regards,
Tom

thetrail
12-30-2003, 13:35
I'm with Skyline...a new AT video would be a nice addition to my AT archives. Any info on how to order would be appreciated!

attroll
12-30-2003, 15:01
Peaks

The video you are taking about that we saw at The Gathering is titled "2000 Mile to Maine" An Odyssey of Thry Hikers on the Appalachian Trail. By Douglas Morse.

Peaks
12-30-2003, 17:14
Peaks

The video you are taking about that we saw at The Gathering is titled "2000 Mile to Maine" An Odyssey of Thry Hikers on the Appalachian Trail. By Douglas Morse.

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember the exact title.

Papa Bear
12-31-2003, 13:11
Peaks

I think there is confusion here.

The video shown at the Gathering about Katahdin was Wilderness and Spirit, a Mountain Called Katahdin made by "Huey", 100 minutes. This was an excellent and moving work with a lot of Penobscot Indian rituals included, some history, a snipet on Earl Shaffer and a little bit about thru-hikers. Thru-hikers got about equal billing with a group of Penobscots who were running and canoeing to Katahdin over a multi-day trek. If you remember a video about Katahdin, this is probably the one. Huey was selling this (I bought a DVD for $24), well worth it IMHO.

The other one mentioned above was primarily about the thru-hiking experience, not primarily about Katahdin.

Pb

Lilred
12-31-2003, 14:11
I think there is confusion here.

The video shown at the Gathering about Katahdin was Wilderness and Spirit, a Mountain Called Katahdin made by "Huey", 100 minutes. This was an excellent and moving work with a lot of Penobscot Indian rituals included, some history, a snipet on Earl Shaffer and a little bit about thru-hikers. Thru-hikers got about equal billing with a group of Penobscots who were running and canoeing to Katahdin over a multi-day trek. If you remember a video about Katahdin, this is probably the one. Huey was selling this (I bought a DVD for $24), well worth it IMHO.

The other one mentioned above was primarily about the thru-hiking experience, not primarily about Katahdin.

Pb

Perhaps there was more than one video showing at the gathering?? just a though...

Papa Bear
12-31-2003, 14:59
Perhaps there was more than one video showing at the gathering?? just a though...
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes there were a number of video presentations at the gathering as well as numerous slide shows. Both 2000 Miles to Maine and Wilderness and Spirit, a Mountain Called Katahdin were shown. The one primarily about thru-hiking, the other primarily about Katahdin.

Pb

Mausalot
01-30-2004, 23:53
Yes, there were several presentations at The Gathering including the movie I directed, 2000 Miles to Maine. I had a great time there and the response was super. Several people in the video, including Jo Jo Smiley, Nomad, and Heald were in attendence. My stay was a bit brief as I had to return to NYC quickly to my 2 week old boy. I have a page of comments about the video (and need to add Peaks comments) and of course info on how to order. If you do order, please mention that you read about the video on White Blaze. Thanks.

Doug

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/feedme.htm:dance

Riprap
02-04-2004, 09:56
If you want to add to your video AT experiences, in addition to those already suggested, try "Trek: A Journey on the Appalachian Trail." It's one hour and forty minutes.; filmed, edited, and distributed by thru-hikers (2001). Lots of interviews and up close and personals. It was viewed by numerous thru hikers at Trail Days and well received. It's available now on Amazon. Check out the trailer at www.cirquevideo.com

Riprap

The Hog
07-05-2004, 10:16
The award-winning 28 minute film, North To Katahdin on the Appalachian Trail, was originally shot in 16mm film (comparable to High Definition Video) and is now available in VHS or DVD. This was a professional production by a thru hiker (myself, The Hog) who had considerable experience in film and television. It was self funded, and cost over $24,000 to produce. At the time filming started, there were no existing films on the A.T. Lynne Whelden started shooting Five Million Steps at a later date and was able to finish his before mine. We have helped each other out in a friendly way and continue to correspond and hike together (most recently, on the CDT in Montana/Idaho). I enjoyed Lynne's film, which is totally different from mine. He, too, had a lot of experience with film and video before he started producing his film on the A.T. There's room for tons of films on the A.T., since they all will inevitably take a different angle and show a different perspective. Amateur videos, with shaky camera shots and lots of zooming in and out (that will tend to give you motion sickness) will come and go. The better productions will endure. I will leave it to viewers to decide which is which.
You can order North to Katahdin from the ATC, on eBay, Amazon.com, or direct from the producer. My website: www.wildernessfilmandvideo.com Email: [email protected]

SGT Rock
07-05-2004, 13:59
It is a good video - I highly reccomend it.

Thru-Hiker_Man
07-20-2004, 22:59
I'm with Skyline...a new AT video would be a nice addition to my AT archives. Any info on how to order would be appreciated!

Check out "TREK - A Journey on the Appalachain Trail." It was produced, edited, and shot by two thru-hikers who hiked the AT in 2001. It is very well produced, and entertaining everytime you watch it. It's available on Amazon.com here:

TREK on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002DFWHQ/qid=1090378351/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0918664-2007303?v=glance&s=dvd)

Check out www.cirquevideo.com for a preview of the film, and a preview of their next movie, all about their cross-country bike trip in 2003.

trippclark
06-03-2005, 15:12
I have recently been re-watching he AT videos that I own . . .

North to Katahdin (subject of this thread)
Walking with Freedom (my newest acquisition)
Trek
2000 Miles to Maine
North to Katahdin
Appalachian Impressions
Trail Magic

I enjoy every one of these and am always anxious to view any AT videos that I can get. I can't get out on the trail near as often as I would like (100 - 150 miles per year / 3 - 4 long weekends at best). I am not sure whether watching the movies helps or makes the longing greater, but I enjoy watching them anyway.

North to Katahdin is one of the older videos -- and this is quickly evident by the hiker's clothing and equipment -- but it is still one of my favorites. I like it because of the quality nature photography and because it is one of the few videos that you can show to any audience without making any apologies. Most of the other videos, which are really great 99% of the time, include unnecessary substance abuse, crude language and gestures, or feature prominantly "fringe characters" that are but occasionally encountered on the trail. Fortunately North to Katahdin does not include any of this. It is a movie that a thru-hiker could enjoy . . . but you could also show it to your grandmother without offending or shocking her.