PDA

View Full Version : How much BACKPACKING EXPERIENCE DID YOU HAVE BEFORE YOU ACCOMPLISHED YOUR THRU HIKE

HIKER7s
01-23-2008, 07:24
Another thread gave me this idea.

I wonder, what the mean centerline of pre-AT thru-hikers is. How much backpacking experience did you have before your FIRST AT THRU-HIKE.

:banana

I had about 500 miles before my first one in 1978.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-23-2008, 07:49
I think the days count more toward experience than the miles.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-23-2008, 07:51
i had no over night backpacking experience. but have been day hiking and car-camping and such my whole life so i guessed under 50 mi. but it probably translates to more than that, but who knows.

Marta
01-23-2008, 08:09
500 AT miles in sections; the West Highland Way; a few other backpacking trips; lots of dayhiking.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 08:53
a 3 week Outward Bound trip in Colorado

Bearpaw
01-23-2008, 10:01
Between Scouts, personal trips, and the Marine Corps, I was between 1000 and 1500 miles. For those who say the Marines don't count, I'll just tell them to pack sand. ;)

Mags
01-23-2008, 14:01
I did my first backpacking trip in 1996. That summer and fall, I tried to get out every weekend I could. As it was at least 3 hrs to decent backpacking, it was 1 to 2 weekends a month at the most.

In 1997, I did the Long Trail in Vermont as a shake down. I strongly suggest a shake down hike to any perspective thru-hiker.

In 1998, I was on the AT for my thru-hike.

Life has not been the same since. :sun

The Solemates
01-23-2008, 15:45
over 1000. probably over 2000.

my wife had far fewer though.

gearfreak
01-23-2008, 16:44
Another thread gave me this idea.

I wonder, what the mean centerline of pre-AT thru-hikers is. How much backpacking experience did you have before your FIRST AT THRU-HIKE.

:banana

I had about 500 miles before my first one in 1978.

Out of curiosity, how did you complete a thru in 1978 as a 13 year old?

Nean
01-23-2008, 16:50
I had been backpacking one time before my thru, a 70m trip at Philmont 13 years previous.:)

The Weasel
01-23-2008, 17:11
I had lots. Not enough.

TW

Appalachian Tater
01-23-2008, 20:07
Zero. It was a good thing, because the first few weeks were difficult to say the least, and if I had only been out for a week-long hike, I might never have hiked again.

warren doyle
01-23-2008, 20:11
1972 LT End-to-End
Numerous 2-4 day backpacks in the Adirondacks and Whites
Katahdin and part of the 100-mile 'Wilderness'

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 07:54
I think the days count more toward experience than the miles.

Absolutely, but you get the point. Miles turn into days.

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 07:55
Out of curiosity, how did you complete a thru in 1978 as a 13 year old?

HUH? WHERES YOUR MATH :)

Wolf - 23000
01-24-2008, 08:43
I never backpacked in my life before the AT. I spent a good amount of time camping as a kid and was always taking day hikes. I did think there was a different between what to take while camping vs. what to take while backpacking. How little did I know. It is one of the reasons I started off carrying everything but the kitchen sink.

Wolf

gearfreak
01-24-2008, 09:02
HUH? WHERES YOUR MATH :)

Oops! I should know better than to read these things without my glasses! :cool:

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 09:10
I had been backpacking one time before my thru, a 70m trip at Philmont 13 years previous.:)

Same here, a week trip out in philmont was my longest trek. I wonder how many thru hikers have done philmont.

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 09:15
Same here, a week trip out in philmont was my longest trek. I wonder how many thru hikers have done philmont.

I might do Philmont in next year or two, if my son attains Eagle (he's Life) thats what he wants to do.

I have done Northern Teir paddling trips before. Great week!

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 09:24
I might do Philmont in next year or two, if my son attains Eagle (he's Life) thats what he wants to do.

I have done Northern Teir paddling trips before. Great week!

I'd recommend Philmont for any kid. I'd also recommend pushing him to get his Eagle. I was never pushed and regret stalling out as a Life scout.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 09:28
Wow, this is an eye opening poll - so far it shows 38% of those who have accomplished a thru-hike have had less that 100 miles of BP'ing experience.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 09:30
there ain't much to learn or much you need to know before attempting a thru-hike.

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 09:32
Agreed, I hadn't backpacked in several years prior to my thru hike. You just go out there and start walking.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 10:03
there ain't much to learn or much you need to know before attempting a thru-hike.I do believe you are right, LW. Hug Gypsy for me :)

Bearpaw
01-24-2008, 10:10
On my first day at Amicalola, I met Shalimar, young lady out to do a long section. She had never backpacked before and clearly had done very little planning. But I helped her with a couple of details in repacking her pack so it would balance better and suggesting changing her layers so she wouldn't sweat so severely. After that, she stuck close to me for the next 38 miles to Neel's Gap. By then she found others that she was also comfortable with (and closer to her 19 years old), and she fully enjoyed herself til she got off at Unicoi Gap to head back to school.

There are SO many others on a north-bound thru-hike that it really IS a great place for a new backpacker to get rolling, safely and with a solid learning curve.

Pony
01-24-2008, 19:26
In 1997, I did the Long Trail in Vermont as a shake down. I strongly suggest a shake down hike to any perspective thru-hiker.

Out of curiosity, what kind of distance, and how many days for a shakedown? I'm planning two long weekends(3 to 4 days)either in WV or SE Ohio. A friend of mine who did the trail a few years back is going to go and help me work out the kinks. Should this be sufficient?

SGT Rock
01-24-2008, 19:33
there ain't much to learn or much you need to know before attempting a thru-hike.
From what I have seen from some of the Sothbounders about to finish, you don't need to learn a lot to complete a thru either.:eek:

Mags
01-24-2008, 19:45
Out of curiosity, what kind of distance, and how many days for a shakedown? I'm planning two long weekends(3 to 4 days)either in WV or SE Ohio. A friend of mine who did the trail a few years back is going to go and help me work out the kinks. Should this be sufficient?

The nice thing about doing the LT is that not only did I get some backpacking experience, but I learned what it is like to thru-hike. No car waiting for me, managing resupplies, being out in all kinds of weather to make miles, etc.

It was the AT in microcosm. Something I did not get on weekend (even 3-4 day) outings.

Having said that, mental attitude is far more important.

If you go in with the attitude of "Things will not go as planned, but I'll love it out there anyway!" you'll do great. I am sure your friend will also be able to add some great tips.

Have a blast..I am envious of any thru-hiker on their first long hike. To see the trail again through new eyes is awesome!

Pony
01-25-2008, 13:43
I wish I had to time to do the Long Trail as a shakedown, but as it is I've got my hands full preparing for the AT. But I was thinking.....If all goes well on the AT that maybe next year I can do the LT. And Maybe the year after that I will hit the Adirondacks, and then maybe the year after that..... OK, nevermind I need to focus on the AT. As far as things not going as planned, they rarely do at home, so I don't know why I would expect them to out there. At least on the AT I won't be sitting on my couch waiting until I have to return to work the next day.

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 13:55
The nice thing about doing the LT is that not only did I get some backpacking experience, but I learned what it is like to thru-hike. No car waiting for me, managing resupplies, being out in all kinds of weather to make miles, etc.

It was the AT in microcosm. Something I did not get on weekend (even 3-4 day) outings.

Having said that, mental attitude is far more important.

If you go in with the attitude of "Things will not go as planned, but I'll love it out there anyway!" you'll do great. I am sure your friend will also be able to add some great tips.

I did the same as Mags, hiked the Long Trail to see what I needed to know about resupply, and to get comfortable with hitchhiking, among other things.
Before that, I did a handfull of weeklongs, to get a feel for the Appalachian Trail itself.

I agree with Mags, that an adventuresome attitude is the best preparation. A willingness to work with the inevitable obstacles that will show up (bad weather/emotional walls/sore feet and other body parts/temperature extremes, gear failure, to name just a few).

What I learned gave me enormous confidence. Some of my concerns were female issues (hitching/vulnerability), others were general (what will it be like, how hard will it be to resupply?).
Our minds love a map! :)

Lone Wolf is correct in that you don't really need to know much - you can pick up the major refinements between Springer and Neel's Gap (of Katahdin and Monson), then make needed adjustements (and then "tweak" the rest of the way). But I didn't know that then.

For me, and my hyperactive mind, the above preps were the perfect progression. Others can just plunge right in. Everyone is different.

And as a bonus, I've had more outdoor time in my life (but not nearly enough).
And that's Good Thing, Martha!
:sun

Mags
01-25-2008, 14:10
At least on the AT I won't be sitting on my couch waiting until I have to return to work the next day.

Exactly! I think you'll do great. A shakedown is nice..but the good attitude you have is far more important. Have a blast! :sun

Mountain Maiden
01-25-2008, 22:53
I had dayhiked and car-camped but had never spent a night in the woods before I got on the Trail at Springer!

My 'biggie' to that point had been a dayhike up Mt. LeConte. But--that 8 miles did it and I made up my mind the next day that I would thru-hike.

I did spend the next three years reading journals, going to hiker gatherings and listening to other hikers. This helped a great deal. As a result, I didn't change out any gear, sent home very little, etc.

One of my memorable thru-hike moments was at the Blueberry Patch in Hiawassee when Weathercarrot said "You seem to have it together. I thought you were a seasoned hiker." HA! Little did he know!

But---I made it to Katahdin just the same. If I can make it--anyone can!

S:sun