PDA

View Full Version : This Years Thru Hike Class In Trouble?

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 09:22
I was just wondering today...this has easily been the most dry winter I have ever experienced. We've had only one signifigant snow storm up here in the north and that has long since melted.

I know that during winters of heavy snow, the spring time snow melt causes rivers to rise and water sources to fill up.

Without that normal snow pack, does the opposite effect occur? If so we could be looking at one of the dryest thru hike seasons in years.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 09:41
Maine has had at least 4 major snow storms up until now, but a lot of it has melted due to warmer weather.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Kirby

Grandma
01-23-2008, 09:53
In the south we have had some snow and rain, but we are already behind for the year. Hope it isn't as bad as last year.

Cindy from Indy
01-23-2008, 09:59
I think we should just be prepared to carry an extra 2 qts of water.......Which would mean we have to lighten our packs by another 4lbs to allow for that.

No biggie.........prep is the key ;)

Hooch
01-23-2008, 10:02
.........prep is the key ;)

Prior
Planing
Prevents
Pi$$
Poor
Performance

:D

hammock engineer
01-23-2008, 10:26
Everything South of Hot Springs was flowing great that I saw in the last month.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-23-2008, 10:29
I've been keeping an eye on the water table and have concerns. We that do such things may need to do lots of 'water magic' this year.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 10:34
I've been keeping an eye on the water table and have concerns. We that do such things may need to do lots of 'water magic' this year.

If this lack of snow continues...better hope for lots and lots of rain in the spring time :(

turtle fast
01-23-2008, 10:48
Hope for rain to recharge the water table...I think it will take awhile to recharge after the drought last year....I guess begrudgingly that Ill have to carry more water....time to plan to upgrade to a larger Camelback. Probably take 2 Gatoraide bottles too just in case. ****Anyone know any good rain dances????*******

max patch
01-23-2008, 10:56
lake allatoona in north ga is at full winter pool.

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 11:25
It's only January. A little early for alarmism.

hammock engineer
01-23-2008, 11:28

The south was fantastic for that. Even for the southbounders. Through PA and parts north I only saw 1 water cache I can remember. The Tuxedo Hiking Club in NY saved me from a dry night or drinking nasty beaver pond water.

Pony
01-23-2008, 14:17
****Anyone know any good rain dances????*******

http://www.myspace.com/oakhurst Click on the song Brigade. The dance sounds pretty simple, plus it's just a cool song, if you like bluegrass that is.

SGT Rock
01-23-2008, 14:33
Water has been good and getting better my whole hike so far. While last year there was a drought, the Smokies have exceeded normal monthly rainfall over the last 4 months by about 40% if I remembe right. Georgia hasn't been as good, they have only exceeded that average in the last couple of months. As of my last check, this month was a little behind, but the month isn't over.

Footslogger
01-23-2008, 14:45
Every year has it's own unique set of challenges.

I'm certain 2008 will be NO exception ...

'Slogger

Grumpy Ol' Pops
01-23-2008, 15:09
Without that normal snow pack, does the opposite effect occur? If so we could be looking at one of the dryest thru hike seasons in years.

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. We've had snowstorms that accumulated 6 inches as late as mid-April in years past. And the ones I can recall quickly were in years when the total snowfall for the year was below average until late in the season.
Mother Nature seems to know when the averages have to be raised before the Spring really comes in!

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 15:12
If so we could be looking at one of the dryest thru hike seasons in years.

Yes and this is causing a huge explosion in the Snipe population. Be afraid, be very afraid.

SGT Rock
01-23-2008, 15:13
Yes and this is causing a huge explosion in the Snipe population. Be afraid, be very afraid.I'm an expert snipe hunter. I can hardly wait.

Jaybird62
01-23-2008, 15:16
I had to chase two of those daggone things off of my porch this morning!!!:mad:

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 15:20
All classes between 2008 and 2011 will be good, 2012 will be good up to 12/21/12, forget 2013....
http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 15:21
"One doesn't spend the afternoon in the woods snipe hunting without having a revelation or two." - Frasier Crane

Johnny Thunder
01-23-2008, 15:33
I'm an expert snipe hunter. I can hardly wait.

Me too.

I've also been working on a Titanium Left-Handed Smoke Shifter. Can't get the rivets to hold...

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 15:35
I felt pretty damn dumb after pulling up this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 15:37
I felt pretty damn dumb after pulling up this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt
What's worse is that they add all kinds of new words (generally street slang) to the dictionary but for some reason took the word gullible out of the Webster's 2008 version. Weird.

GGS2
01-23-2008, 15:39
We used to hunt side-hill-gougers (variant: side-hill-grazer). I've sailed a Snipe, never hunted one.

Dances with Mice
01-23-2008, 16:01
What's worse is that they add all kinds of new words (generally street slang) to the dictionary but for some reason took the word gullible out of the Webster's 2008 version. Weird.That's a damn lie! I looked it up!

There's even a picture of me beside the word.

dessertrat
01-23-2008, 16:09
I'm an expert snipe hunter. I can hardly wait.

You are no match for the coppermouthed cottonheaded snipe!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/Commonsnipe67.jpg/250px-Commonsnipe67.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Commonsnipe67.jpg)

Beware the stabbing beak.

fehchet
01-23-2008, 16:19
"Up North" whatever that means has had plenty of snow and for the last month in the south a steady set of rain and snow storms have moved northeast out of the Gulf. The water table has come back. No need to panic.

sasquatch2014
01-23-2008, 16:53
Let me know when you get near Pawling Ny and I'll put water out. I hauled water up to the local shelter from Aug till Oct as the stream was dry and the water was .7 mile north of the shelter. I am sure that there will be others who will be doing similar things along the way.

RITBlake
01-23-2008, 16:58
"Up North" whatever that means has had plenty of snow and for the last month in the south a steady set of rain and snow storms have moved northeast out of the Gulf. The water table has come back. No need to panic.

I live in NY about 20 mins from Bear Mountain, and travel regularly to Connecticut and PA. I can tell you w/ certainty we've had NO snow and there are no traces of it on the ground, very very uncommon.

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 21:12
That's a damn lie! I looked it up!

There's even a picture of me beside the word.
Sweeeet!!:):):):p

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 21:13
I live in NY about 20 mins from Bear Mountain, and travel regularly to Connecticut and PA. I can tell you w/ certainty we've had NO snow and there are no traces of it on the ground, very very uncommon.
Sounds like you could use a getaway weekend in . . . . . FULTON!!! Woohooo.!!

shelterbuilder
01-23-2008, 21:29
We haven't had a lot of snow, either, but I've just completeed my annual shelter inspecions for this year, and all of the water sources were at normal levels for this time of year. It is too soon to panic. Besides, in Pa., trail magic can be almost as plentiful as the rocks!:banana

emerald
01-23-2008, 22:49
Besides, in Pa., trail magic can be almost as plentiful as the rocks!:banana

I hope you're not telling northbound hikers they can expect that thing you mentioned. Some of them are as bad as bears habituated to handouts. It's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt.;)

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 22:51
there is no real trail magic anymore. organized feeds is all

Patrickjd9
01-23-2008, 22:53
We that do such things may need to do lots of 'water magic' this year.
We cached water to go from Fontana Dam to NOC in Wesser last fall. There were enough people doing "water magic" that we would have done OK without.:sun

shelterbuilder
01-23-2008, 23:03
I hope you're not telling northbound hikers they can expect that thing you mentioned. Some of them are as bad as bears habituated to handouts. It's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt.;)

I see that you subscribe the the old adage : "A fed bear is a dead bear".:eek:

Trail magic does not only consist of handouts to the habituated!:o Trail magic can also come in the form of notes along the way, about where to find water that's NOT listed in the guidebooks! You forget, my spies are everywhere!;)

warraghiyagey
01-23-2008, 23:05
there is no real trail magic anymore. organized feeds is all
That's just not so.:sun

Skidsteer
01-23-2008, 23:13
lake allatoona in north ga is at full winter pool.

We've been getting good, soaking rains @ twice a week. Looking good.

emerald
01-23-2008, 23:14
NOT listed in the guidebooks!

What's a guide book? Sounds heavy.

stranger
01-24-2008, 01:00
If it's not one thing it's another...this year it will be water

BR360
01-24-2008, 01:17
Cold, heat, drought, snow, rainstorms, bugs....Gee! Sounds like Nature! (Doh!)

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 01:29
Cold, heat, drought, snow, rainstorms, bugs....Gee! Sounds like Nature! (Doh!)

If it rained for 3 months straight we'd probably be talking about it and it's effect on hikers. This is one of the warmest winters in recorded American history and will likely effect this years thru hiking class

hammock engineer
01-24-2008, 04:28
If it rained for 3 months straight we'd probably be talking about it and it's effect on hikers. This is one of the warmest winters in recorded American history and will likely effect this years thru hiking class

It was freakin freezing in GA last week when I was finishing up. I did enjoy the random 60 degree Dec or Jan day. But I think winter finally came. Everyone told me late Jan and Feb are consistantly the worst winter months on the trail in the south.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 07:29
I live between Knoxville and the SW entrance to the GSMNP..... January - March are the winter months in the south... and they have been chiller this year than in many previous years (my turnip & collard greens were five years old because this is the first winter it has gotten cold enough to kill them.....). However, we are not getting the winter rains as frequently and have had virtually no snow. While we have had enough rain to get the the higher springs and creeks flowing, we have not had enough to raise the water table significantly and a relatively short period without rain will cause the high elevation creeks and springs to go dry again. This is what worries me about the 2008 hikers.

mudhead
01-24-2008, 07:54
http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?ps=1018&id=14337829&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCL2_UNEWS

This was interesting. Little off topic, but drought related.

dessertrat
01-24-2008, 10:30
As stated earlier, shave 4 pounds off the pack weight, carry 2 more liters/quarts. (And that way, by the time you reach water, you'll be 4 pounds lighter anyway).

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 11:03
So what. Nature can be a lot crueler than this. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but if someone out there does, than stay home.

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 17:22
So what. Nature can be a lot crueler than this. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but if someone out there does, than stay home.

What out for Rambo on the trail this year, nothing phases him :rolleyes:

Kirby
01-24-2008, 17:53

Are you kidding me? Maybe where you live, but here in southern Maine we have been hit a lot with snow this winter, this has been a brutal winter, major storms in a month and a half.

Kirby

Grandma
01-24-2008, 18:24
I would like to see data on that. Winter begins Dec 21, and they have already determined that it is the coldest in American history????? I doubt that.

dessertrat
01-24-2008, 18:33
Are you kidding me? Maybe where you live, but here in southern Maine we have been hit a lot with snow this winter, this has been a brutal winter, major storms in a month and a half.

Kirby

Does a lot of snow mean warmer or colder, is the question. In Maine, I can easily see it being a warm winter but still having a lot of snow.

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 18:39

Kirby

No Kirby I'm not kidding you. I lived in the same area for 20+ years and have seen such a snowless winter. Never.

Don't forget that there is much more to the trail then Maine. If MA, CT, NY, and PA are all bone dry it's going to have an impact.

Grandma
01-24-2008, 18:43
Snow has more to do with moisture in a location than temperature.

Critterman
01-24-2008, 19:32
The Potomac river is below normal but has come up to near normal around Washington.

shelterbuilder
01-24-2008, 20:05
What's a guide book? Sounds heavy.

:banana:banana:banana:D

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2008, 20:12
The majority of Northbounders don't start til Mid-March or later.

Since that's two months away, I think it's premature to announce that the Class of '08 is gonna have a rough time. Maybe they will. And maybe it'll rain like a bastard this spring and everything will be just fine.

In any case, these gloom and doom predictions aren't going to do anything but worry people, and the worries may be needless.

Let's wait a few weeks (or more) and have this conversation again.

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 20:24
The majority of Northbounders don't start til Mid-March or later.

Since that's two months away, I think it's premature to announce that the Class of '08 is gonna have a rough time. Maybe they will. And maybe it'll rain like a bastard this spring and everything will be just fine.

In any case, these gloom and doom predictions aren't going to do anything but worry people, and the worries may be needless.

Let's wait a few weeks (or more) and have this conversation again.

Yes, I didn't start this thread to be the bearer of bad news. I was noticing and starting to read about how this has been an unusually warm winter so I thought it would be a decent topic of conversation.

I'm sure mother nature has a few storms lined up for us and of course the rain will pick up in the spring.

sasquatch2014
01-25-2008, 15:37

Heck just come up to Dutchess County 45 min north of you and we have snow on the ground still. When we hiked from NJ line to Harriman State Park a few weeks back all the snow had melted off but we got a good solid full day of rain. All of this helps to recharge the ground water table. It will take a bit more to make a dent down south but we seem to be in decent shape.

sasquatch2014
01-25-2008, 15:42
No Kirby I'm not kidding you. I lived in the same area for 20+ years and have seen such a snowless winter. Never.

Don't forget that there is much more to the trail then Maine. If MA, CT, NY, and PA are all bone dry it's going to have an impact.

Don't leave out NJ. Its the one between NY and PA sometimes it tough to say when you are in NY or NJ for a bit buty its there.:D

sasquatch2014
01-25-2008, 15:45
Cold and snow are related. The colder the air temp the less mositure the air can hold therefor the less it will snow. Don't confuse this is the time that snow stays on the ground. The poles actually get little annual snow it just sticks around.