mts4602
01-23-2008, 10:17
well sort of...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4170377

Jason of the Woods
01-23-2008, 10:27
well sort of...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4170377

Great story. I think that you are the first Louisvillian that I've run across.

JAK
01-23-2008, 10:32
This is a good case for shows like that being on television, but being produced more intelligently and responsibly, while still being interesting. Quite often the media and authorities go too far the other way however. Stuff like, never go out on the ice, never go anywhere or do anything alone, 60% of heat loss is through your head, if you fall into cold water you will be dead in 5 minutes, don't go out in the rain, watch out for the boogey man, etc, etc, etc.

JAK
01-23-2008, 10:37
We used to play on the ice flows during spring freshet. Of course we weren't allowed, and if we came home with wet clothes we would get beaten, but we did it anyway. Sure we would lose a friend every now and then, but that was life. Besides, people had more children back then.

JAK
01-23-2008, 10:39
Nowadays people get killed in car accidents and nobody says anything, but if you stub you toe walking in the woods or skating on a river the media goes out of their way to explain to everyone how much of a lucky moron you are.

scavenger
01-23-2008, 11:51
This is a good case for shows like that being on television, but being produced more intelligently and responsibly, while still being interesting.

Haha yeah its hard to even catch any practical survival skills on "Man Versus Wild" amidst all the free-climbing for no reason, crawling into caves for no reason, jumping out of helicopters, and diving into fast-moving rivers without knowing where they lead. Makes for good entertainment I suppose...

Glad the kid at least learned to strip out of his frozen clothes though.

Newb
01-23-2008, 11:57
I watch Bear Grylls' show and he has a lot of great lessons to teach. He received some criticism last year for "faking it" or for not really being deep in the wilderness for some of his shows.

This year he makes a point to let the viewer know that there is camera crew present. He doesn't try to conceal safety measures the producers put in place for the filming of the show, etc. It hasn't detracted from the show at all. Besides, I've now learned to suck the juice out of fresh camel dung if I'm lost in the deserts of Mali. Yum.

Rain Man
01-23-2008, 13:41
Besides, I've now learned to suck the juice out of fresh camel dung if I'm lost in the deserts of Mali. Yum.

The deserts of Mali have camels???!!!
:D
I did see the episode where he drank the "juice" from the guts of a dead camel, before he cut it up and used it for shelter in the frigid desert night. YIKES!!!

Rain:sunMan

jzakhar
01-23-2008, 15:15
I watch Bear Grylls' show and he has a lot of great lessons to teach. He received some criticism last year for "faking it" or for not really being deep in the wilderness for some of his shows.

This year he makes a point to let the viewer know that there is camera crew present. He doesn't try to conceal safety measures the producers put in place for the filming of the show, etc. It hasn't detracted from the show at all. Besides, I've now learned to suck the juice out of fresh camel dung if I'm lost in the deserts of Mali. Yum.

I think that got all blown out of proportion too. Didnt he actually just go to a hotel for a night after being in some ridiculous desert ? I think people are a little too critical him. The man stood on top of Mt.Everest.

I tell ya what, if it was me in that situation. I dont care how much money is involved. Id stop recording and steal some water from a camera man, before I drank my own pee, or squeezed water out of fresh elephant crap..

Id go to most places Bear and his counterpart the Survivor Man go to. Al bet with a full pack. I saw one episode of survivorman where he was dumped 500 miles out in some ocean in a leaking life raft and nothing else for 1 week... Im all set with that, not interested in throwing my life away ;p but it made for a good program.

Bob S
01-23-2008, 15:43
Survivor Man is a better show, one never knows for sure, but he looks to be actually on his own with no camera crew a few feet away. That and I like is personality better then Bear Grylls, he seems to be less of a show off then Grylls and more interesting to watch.

oops56
01-23-2008, 16:30
Survivor man me too but i wish he give up that get out in 7 days just bring little more stuff to get things done. show how its done. Pack a day bag then show what to with it and make it last when the day pack runs out then do the survivor thing.

Bob S
01-23-2008, 17:21
I agree, no one of us would go into the wild without a basic survival pack. It would be nice if he did a few shows that he had a pack like this to use.

scavenger
01-23-2008, 17:29
Bringing a pack wouldn't make any sense because both shows are about surviving situations you didnt prepare for. Grylls just does stupid dangerous **** 90% of the time though.

Jaybird62
01-23-2008, 17:29
IMO they are both good shows if taken for what they are-shows. I also agree that a survival pack would be a little more realistic for most of us, but maybe not the average person who watches the shows?

jzakhar
01-23-2008, 17:32
I agree, no one of us would go into the wild without a basic survival pack. It would be nice if he did a few shows that he had a pack like this to use.

Recently survivor man went into the Yukon with a dog sled and full gear.

Towards the end of the show, he let the dogs get away from him with the sled and what not, and did spend a night or two with just a pack. TBH I am not sure you could go into Alaska in the winter with "nothing"

Bob S
01-23-2008, 18:55
Bringing a pack wouldn't make any sense because both shows are about surviving situations you didnt prepare for. Grylls just does stupid dangerous **** 90% of the time though.

That’s why I said they should mix it up with a few shows that he does have a pack with a few items. Not all people are going to be in a survival situation with nothing, Why not have at least a few shows showing what to have in your survival pack and how to use them?

GGS2
01-23-2008, 19:22
Ok, maybe this is a good place to ask: What's in your survival pack? That is, what do you never leave behind, even on a day trip?

Lilred
01-23-2008, 19:56
I never leave behind my rain gear, a lighter, a headlamp and a map of the area I'm hiking, and some kind of food. Even on a day hike. Except for Radnor Lake. I don't have a map of that area, but walk straight in any direction and you'll run into someone's house within a mile or so......LOL

Skidsteer
01-23-2008, 20:04
Toilet paper.

Newb
01-24-2008, 10:56
I'd like to do a "send-up" of Survivor Man/Man v. wild. It would be called AT survivor man vs. Trail.

I'd be 3, maybe 4 days out from civilization and would have to survive only on what I could Yogi from other hikers. I'd eat wild ramps and fiddle heads. In a memorable scene I would stumble into a snack bar overcome by the heat and down and half gallon of ice cream.

JAK
01-24-2008, 18:31
I never leave behind my rain gear, a lighter, a headlamp and a map of the area I'm hiking, and some kind of food. Even on a day hike. Except for Radnor Lake. I don't have a map of that area, but walk straight in any direction and you'll run into someone's house within a mile or so......LOLI read someplace, I think it was on this forum, that a good rule of thumb is to always be able to make a cup of tea. I have a small 300ml pet bottle of honey I always carry on day hikes now, and even to work with me. Very compact calories, and yummy. That and a lighter and a mug and some tea, or bark, and three rocks and I'm pretty much set. You can't always find three rocks though, so I'm working on something small and compact without getting too carried away. If you can make tea you can make a bigger fire if you need to, while drinking your tea. :D

refreeman
01-24-2008, 22:34
Wow this news coverage, which wreaks of propaganda, has been more pervasive in the media than when Bear Grylls got caught faking achievements on many Man vs Wild shows. He is a lame duck, and should be canceled PERIOD. Watch Survivorman instead, Les Stroud is the real deal.

Skits
01-24-2008, 23:10
before he cut it up and used it for shelter in the frigid desert night. YIKES!!!

I learned how to do that from the Empire Strikes Back! Except it wasn't a camel that was used.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 23:15
I learned how to do that from the Empire Strikes Back! Except it wasn't a camel that was used.

LOL do you use a light saber?

jersey joe
01-24-2008, 23:24
bear grills is less "real" than survivor man, but his show is much more watchable and entertaining to the general public.

Skits
01-24-2008, 23:35
LOL do you use a light saber?

I used to, but they are actually surprisingly heavy (up to 4 pounds) and thus I stopped carrying it on long-distance hikes. You run into fewer and fewer taun-tauns on the trail these days, too. (I had to look up what the animal was called).