PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Momas for sale?

Jason of the Woods
01-23-2008, 11:22
Is this true and how do we get info on the purchasing price? We wouldn't even change the name. It would stay Mountain Momas.:-?

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 11:24
i think someone has already bought it. plus it's in a bad location due to Standing Bear Farm hostel being a few hundred yards off the AT

Marta
01-23-2008, 12:43
When I drove past it in November there were major rennovations going on. The front was gated off. It is most definitely not open to the public, and it doesn't look as if it will be.

generoll
01-23-2008, 12:46
My understanding is that this property was purchased by a local farmer as a family retreat.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-23-2008, 12:48
I've heard from locals in that area that it was bought by a couple who is turning it into a touristy horse ranch. It didn't sound very promising as a hiker resource. As LW notes, there is another more easily accessed option in the area that is devoted totally to long-distance hikers so losing Mountain Moma's isn't a huge loss IMO. I will miss the Mountain Moma burger.

Jason of the Woods
01-23-2008, 13:15
Bummer. We are looking to do something like that.;(

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 13:24
Damascus needs a good hostel

The Weasel
01-23-2008, 13:26
So start one. Who better?

TW

wakapak
01-23-2008, 13:27
Damascus needs a good hostel

i thought there were 2 there... they aren't any good??

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 13:27
I despise hostels and don't like most thru-hikers. I ain't starting one

Grandma
01-23-2008, 13:28
Hmmm.....LW catering to thru-hikers.

The Weasel
01-23-2008, 13:29

If you despise them, why do you say Damascus - your home - needs another? Just curious.

TW

Nean
01-23-2008, 13:34
LW can afford to despise hostels.;):D

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 13:35
how's that? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-23-2008, 13:39
LW won't put up with the entitlement nonsense from SOME (as in not all) thruhikers. He also would not want to be tied down during the hiking season. He-Dino and I considered buying some property near the AT and hosting a hostel but decided against it for similar reasons.

Jason, if you are seriously considering this, I would advise you strongly to talk with those who own hostel and have done this for several years about what all it entails. Doing this opened my eyes to some things I hadn't considered.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 13:43
LW won't put up with the entitlement nonsense from SOME (as in not all) thruhikers. He also would not want to be tied down during the hiking season.

correct. during the hiking season i play a lot of golf, ride my Harley and go to music festivals

Jeff
01-23-2008, 13:48
Dino,

What items were real eye openers?

Grandma
01-23-2008, 13:50
Dino,

What items were real eye openers?

When you wake up with some smelly hiker in your bed. :eek:

warren doyle
01-23-2008, 14:03
I have ten acres, 4-bedroom house, wormy chestnut barn, outbuildings, pond, stream - all adjacent to the trail corridor near the one-room schoolhouse near Atkins.

Perfect location for hostel/shuttle service. Just 1.5 miles off 'quiet' Exit 54 (I-81).

Not in a hurry to sell but will sell to someone who will give it a better future than I will be able to.

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 14:07

This is an outright lie. You spend a great deal of time driving thruhikers around and buying them beer. Many of them not even female.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 14:09
This is an outright lie. You spend a great deal of time driving thruhikers around and buying them beer. Many of them not even female.

huh? pretty unlikely. where'd you come up with that BS? i do shuttle a lot of section hikers though

Almost There
01-23-2008, 14:26
Yep, in fact everyone I have ever seen LW shuttle has been a section-hiker...he even turned down thruhikers one time to shuttle myself and another section-hiker!:D

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 15:17
huh? pretty unlikely. where'd you come up with that BS? i do shuttle a lot of section hikers though

Yes and you check their section hiking licences closely.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-23-2008, 15:25
Dino, what items were real eye openers?The amount of labor involved, the costs of things like water & electricity for such an operation, damages to property the hosts I talked with had experienced and the possibility of having to meet a lot of local & state guidelines (# or exits per person, parking per person, health guidelines that would be hard to maintain with hikers coming thru in droves during peak season) as a hotel / motel must do.

Blue Jay
01-23-2008, 16:07
As LW notes, there is another more easily accessed option in the area that is devoted totally to long-distance hikers so losing Mountain Moma's isn't a huge loss IMO.

It is a huge loss. Where else on the AT can you stay in a pink honeymoon cabin? Where else will you ever see a sign that says "we um know um what you um want"? Where else will you find the ultimate red neck experience (other than Lone Wolf's house). Mountain Moma's was completely unique and a historic part of the AT. Like the Pie Lady and Mr. Shaw (not compairing them in any way) and Dizzy Bee and the Strip Joint in Maryland. Future hikers will miss something. Not saying there are no great new places, the hostel that takes MM's place is great. But there is a clear loss.

Jason of the Woods
01-23-2008, 17:33
The commments are definately interesting. We need a ride from Newfound Gap to Hiker Hostel on the 3rd. How much would you charge L Wolfe?

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2008, 17:34
Ultimate red neck experience? :-?

Um, not quite.

*Lone Wolf is a well-read, educated New Englander, now lucky enough to live in Virginia.

*Unlike Mt.Momma's, Wolf's property and house are kept up outside, and his
home is spotless inside. (Maybe cuz he doesn't let many hikers in!)

*I visited MM's once, in 1995 and resolved never to return. In the almost
13 years since, I had no cause to regret my decision. I'd had some great
down time in recent years in Gatlinburg and at Standing Bear Farm, and
today's hikers can do likewise.

A lot of older hikers tend to overly romanticize some of the places on the Trail, especially the ones that are no longer in business.

In my opinion, much of this romanticizing is a bit over the top.

GGS2
01-23-2008, 19:19
*Lone Wolf is a well-read, educated New Englander, now lucky enough to live in Virginia.

You don't say. No red neck? He lost his accent yet?

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2008, 19:21
New Englanders have an accent? :D

Kirby
01-23-2008, 19:25
New Englanders have an accent? :D

No, we speak normal, everyone else speaks in a funny way, they need to become in lock step with us:D.

Kirby

Trillium
01-23-2008, 20:12
No, we speak normal, everyone else speaks in a funny way, they need to become in lock step with us:D.

KirbyI just love listening to young fellows in Massachusetts when I visit my daughter. when I was in college, I dated a guy from outside of Boston and I just loved the way he pronounced my name. :sun

Darwin again
01-24-2008, 23:04
correct. during the hiking season i play a lot of golf, ride my Harley and go to music festivals

Lone Wolfie: Man of leisure and wealth, man of guns.

A-Train
01-24-2008, 23:14
Ultimate red neck experience? :-?

Um, not quite.

*Unlike Mt.Momma's, Wolf's property and house are kept up outside, and his
home is spotless inside. (Maybe cuz he doesn't let many hikers in!)

*I visited MM's once, in 1995 and resolved never to return. In the almost
13 years since, I had no cause to regret my decision. I'd had some great
down time in recent years in Gatlinburg and at Standing Bear Farm, and
today's hikers can do likewise.

A lot of older hikers tend to overly romanticize some of the places on the Trail, especially the ones that are no longer in business.

In my opinion, much of this romanticizing is a bit over the top.

Out of curiosity why did you resolve never to return to MM's? The best burger I ate on the AT was there, and though interesting, I'd say it was one of my fondest memories of the whole trek. A real experience for this city boy:)

Jason of the Woods
01-25-2008, 10:21
Should I even mention that I have a conceal permit and hike with a pistol?;)

Cindy from Indy
01-25-2008, 10:27
Hey Jason o t Woods, Cloud9 Hostel and grounds is for sale......

Jason of the Woods
01-25-2008, 10:32
Yeah. I've been emailing back and forth with Laura about that. Thank you though.;)

CrumbSnatcher
01-25-2008, 23:30
looking to rent a 4-bedroom house with a barn. maybe a stream or pond on the property. somewhere near the trail coridor?

Chicken Feathers
01-26-2008, 12:54
I just love listening to young fellows in Massachusetts when I visit my daughter. when I was in college, I dated a guy from outside of Boston and I just loved the way he pronounced my name. :sun how do you pronounce your name:-?