PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new Aquamira Frontier Pro filter?

walkinfool
01-23-2008, 15:14
I'm really interested in the Aquamira Frontier pro filter system (http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/frontier-pro-filter-system/). I want to use it as a gravity feed system, but I'm wondering if it's possible to attach tubing from the outlet of the filter to my Platy bladder. Aquamira told me that I'd just have to remove the bite valve to let water drip out of the filter and into the bladder, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has one and can describe (or send pics :)) what it looks like without the bite valve. Even if there isn't a barbed piece to put tubing on, I'm wondering if it can be modified or anything.

Thanks!

-walkinfool

-MYST-
01-23-2008, 19:18
The Aqua Mira frontier filter straw is a two part filter consisting of a wider blue base that has the charcoal and whatever else they have put in there as a filter and a bendable straw that simply pushes into the top of the filter end. They are rated to filter 20 gallons (75L) and at 3 microns.

firemountain
01-23-2008, 20:27
I have that filter and carried it this winter in MA and CT. I also carry aquamira (drops), and the reason for bringing along the filter was for areas where only a mud puddle could be found. It works as advertised and the weight and bulk is very low. However, it is very slow. I cut off the bite valve to allow faster dripping and it still takes forever. I have only needed it very rarely, sometimes when streams are swollen by rain there are a lot of suspended particles, and also when it is dry and the only water source is murky it has been very useful. I would not carry it in areas where water is easily found (ME, NH, etc). The prefilter gets dirty quickly but is easy to clean (or replace). I had planned to attached a hose to connect to my platypus but the diameters are different. I bought mine from backpackinglight.com (members get a discount). Hope that helps.
Early Bird

walkinfool
01-24-2008, 10:17
Thanks for the replies. Maybe the Frontier Pro is too slow for me...I know it will be frustrating if I have to wait an hour for water when I want it (Aquamira told me the flow rate is ~2 liters per hour). It's just so appealing because it's small and light. I was concerned about the 3 micron rating, but I emailed Aquamira and they assured me that it's the same as ".3" microns. I'm also considering the MSR Autoflow, which filters at 1.75 L per minute, but the weight is more than I had hoped for. I was really looking forward to MSR's new Hyperflow that's set to come out next month, but the initial reviews make it sound like it won't stand up to the beating it might take on my AT thru.

Anyway, thanks!

-walkinfool

Ghosthiker
01-27-2008, 19:46
I'm considering the Autoflow, too. Seems the large bag would be good for camp use, too. Anyone using this filter and can give feedback?

walkinfool
01-28-2008, 10:21
The Autoflow isn't available yet. I've contacted the company and they don't have an exact availability date yet...they're just saying Spring 2008.

Since MSR and Platypus are both Cascade Designs companies, Platypus is coming out with the same filter but calling it the CleanStream. The Platy one will have 2 bags (1 dirty, 1 clean) and typical Platy connectors. Since I already have a 4L Platy camp bag and a 3L Platy bladder hydration system, I'm planning on buying just the filter ($40) and making my own gravity feed system. Can't wait for it to come out! Check it out here...CleanStream system (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=29)...filter alone (http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=30)

-walkinfool