PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 16:22
This year I'm thinking of passing Erwin, Tn. (too close to Hot Springs) and try out Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast, located 0.3m west on US19E (~385.5 miles N. of Springer). I'm pretty sure this is the same place I heard a lot of good things about last year.

Anyone use this place?

wilconow
01-23-2008, 16:25
I used it to leave a car and take a shower. He charged $5 per night for the car and $3 per shower. Worked out fine.

maxNcathy
01-23-2008, 17:17
Friends and I will be staying there this March 21. When will you be there, John?

Pedaling Fool
01-23-2008, 17:26
Friends and I will be staying there this March 21. When will you be there, John?
Are you starting from Springer, if so when you leaving? I'll be leaving sometime in March, from Amicalola, so I don't expect to be there until sometime in April.

t-bor
01-23-2008, 17:29
I stayed there for one night on a thru hike attempt in 07 and had a veary unpleasent exsperiance the owner was veary rude and abrasive to a few of the younger hikers i felt veary unwelcome at that place and on my next pass through town i think ill just keep walking

Lone Wolf
01-23-2008, 17:31
I used it to leave a car and take a shower. He charged $5 per night for the car and $3 per shower. Worked out fine.

$5 per day for a car is a ripoff

ARambler
01-23-2008, 18:47
This is a good place to stay, but not huge. It was lonely for me as a sobo, but if nobos know what's good, you may have trouble getting a bed.
Why not stay in Erwin and Mt Harbour?
Rambler

PJ 2005
01-23-2008, 19:16
I liked it... interesting place, reasonable prices... convenient...

Rainbow_Brite
01-23-2008, 19:29
I stayed there on my 2006 thru-hike and I absolutely LOVED the place! It was probably my favorite hostel on the whole trail. The owners were amazing and very hospitable, and the breakfast was out of this world! I loved the hostel above the barn - and when I left my favorite shirt there, they mailed it to me and wouldn't take any money for shipping. Overall I just thought they went far beyond the call of duty as hostel/bed and breakfast owners. I'd highly recommend the place!

Appalachian Tater
01-23-2008, 19:52
I stayed there on my 2006 thru-hike and I absolutely LOVED the place! It was probably my favorite hostel on the whole trail. The owners were amazing and very hospitable, and the breakfast was out of this world! I loved the hostel above the barn - and when I left my favorite shirt there, they mailed it to me and wouldn't take any money for shipping. Overall I just thought they went far beyond the call of duty as hostel/bed and breakfast owners. I'd highly recommend the place!

Yes, very hospitable people and a great place to stay.

Lilred
01-23-2008, 19:59
I stayed there as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great hostel. Best shower on the trail. Would stay there again in a heart beat. Mary's breakfasts are amazing!! five bucks a day for a car is a bit much, but there's not much parking. They'll do your laundry for a couple of bucks too. I recommend it.

warren doyle
01-23-2008, 20:07
We live about 12 miles from this hostel and have extra beds and a AYCE dining hall when school (Lees-McRae College) is in session. If we are around, we can pick up and drop off folks at the Rt. 19E trailhead.
No smokers, alcohol, illegal substances, pets and blue-blazers.

Blue Wolf
02-09-2008, 18:11
How far is Mountain Harbour from the Kinkora in miles wise?

mountain squid
02-09-2008, 18:32
It is from 19E to Dennis Cove Rd, about 24 miles.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blue Wolf
02-09-2008, 18:35
Thanks Squid

Flush2wice
02-10-2008, 00:14
Thread-drift warning!
Between Erwin and Kincora there is also the Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. That got me wondering - what is the farthest distance between hostels? The Smokies?

Blue Wolf
02-10-2008, 00:19
Here is my next question fron greasy creek friendly hostel to Damascus whats the mileage I'm wondering if it can be done in 7 days I average about 7 to 10 a day

Tennessee Viking
02-10-2008, 00:33
Mountainer Harbour is real nice. Its $5 for straight up parking. Then they give some small discounts if you park and shuttle, or stay in the hostel. Just give them 24-48 hours notice of shuttle reservations. Shuttles vary due to location. I believe bitter end was $8, Carvers was $20, Buck Mtn Road/Campbell Hollow was $5, and Elk River was $10.

Usually when the main wave of thruhikers come through, Mountain Harbour gets packed fast. So get there early in the day when the crowd hits. High Point, Apple House Shelter and Doll Flats are the nearest campsites.

Rockhound
02-10-2008, 02:13
no internet, no cable. it was wonderful. had the place to myself a few weeks ago. great hosts. I hike. I don't drive,but $5 a day doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does to you, try parking by the trailhead and hope your car doesn't get broken into. 19 is infamous for that.

CaseyB
02-10-2008, 02:26
No smokers, alcohol, illegal substances, pets and blue-blazers.
OK, you and the 3 puritans can party down:D

no internet, no cable. it was wonderful. had the place to myself a few weeks ago. great hosts. I hike. I don't drive,but $5 a day doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does to you, try parking by the trailhead and hope your car doesn't get broken into. 19 is infamous for that.
From my limited experience, random location = unexpected cool;)

mountain squid
02-10-2008, 10:37
Here is my next question fron greasy creek friendly hostel to Damascus whats the mileage I'm wondering if it can be done in 7 days I average about 7 to 10 a day
It is about 97.5 miles. With your stated avg, I don't think you will make it in that time period...

Incidentally, Dennis Cove Rd is about 50 miles from Damascus. Some 'thru-hikers' decide this is a challenge and attempt it in one day :eek:...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. For future reference, all I am doing is substracting mileage from here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) (click on appropriate state for the .pdf).

NLena
02-11-2008, 22:00
The breakfast at this place was the BEST I had on the trail. Even if you don't stay, stop by for the breakfast! Seriously delicious for like $5 or $6.

Bootstrap
02-11-2008, 23:04
I love this place - great shuttle service, really excellent hiker's cabin, friendly owners. (After staying here in October for hiking from 19E to Hughes Gap, I stopped again over Christmas when I had 3 girls and a dog with me, because it was a pleasant and cheap place to put up lots of people without two hotel rooms and dealing with dog policies.)

Jonathan

Nearly Normal
02-12-2008, 01:24
5 bucks a day for the car?

Two Speed
02-12-2008, 01:53
I've used Mountain Harbour. I thought it was a bit expensive, but the accomodations and breakfast were well above average. For a section hiker, not bad at all. If I were trying to do an economy thru I'd pass. YMMV.

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2008, 02:52
It is about 97.5 miles. With your stated avg, I don't think you will make it in that time period...

Incidentally, Dennis Cove Rd is about 50 miles from Damascus. Some 'thru-hikers' decide this is a challenge and attempt it in one day :eek:...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. For future reference, all I am doing is substracting mileage from here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) (click on appropriate state for the .pdf).
I am wondering if they know they have to make that climb up to Pond Flats. I saw a few Sobos who shortcuted from the Lake to Hampton Blue Blaze.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2008, 02:53
smart SOBOs

Mountain Dew
02-12-2008, 05:37
smart SOBOs

Oxymoron... :D

RedneckRye
02-19-2011, 11:11
Used Mtn Harbour for a shuttle down to Iron Mtn Gap this week.
Parking was only $2 per night, showers when we finished were $3.
Good folks.
Interesting that the hostel is the top floor of a working barn that has been converted. 4 bunks and a separate room that has a queen (?) size bed. Shower stall might be a bit cramped if you are over 6 feet tall, full kitchen set up.

Roots
02-19-2011, 12:11
Mtn Harbour is a great place and the people that own it are wonderful. We stayed over-night at the bed and breakfast back in October. We had the most wonderful breakfast, they shuttled us to Indian Grave Gap at a very reasonable rate, and picked us up at Carvers Gap. They let us have free parking. We will definitely us their services again!!!

Lilred
02-19-2011, 15:07
Used Mtn Harbour for a shuttle down to Iron Mtn Gap this week.
Parking was only $2 per night, showers when we finished were $3.
Good folks.
Interesting that the hostel is the top floor of a working barn that has been converted. 4 bunks and a separate room that has a queen (?) size bed. Shower stall might be a bit cramped if you are over 6 feet tall, full kitchen set up.

I stayed in that barn and the shower was the best I've had on the trail!!!!

Utah
02-19-2011, 15:43
Great place, a must visit

Red Hat
02-19-2011, 18:14
Amazing breakfast! Gourmet B&B quality at hiker prices.

malowitz
02-19-2011, 19:02
John - great place to stop for the night. I was there at a time when there were heavy thunderstorms and they tried to amke room for everyone. The horse trailer leaks though - you're better off in a tent.

Some section hikers made reservations in advance. If you know the date you'll be there for sure, you may want to try to reserve a bed in the barn. They also have more expensive traditional B&B rooms in the main house.

Rain Man
02-19-2011, 20:38
My youngest stills talks and tells others about staying at the Mountain Harbour B&B Hostel. It ruined her. That was her very first night "on" the trail, as we drove over and spent the night there before beginning a section hike to Kincora the next morning. We stayed in the horse barn hostel with a couple other hikers. Very nice.

But the "piece de resistance" was breakfast the next morning. Linen. China. Sterling. Goblets. With the B&B guests. And the food, oh, the food!

THAT was how she thought hiking the AT was all going to be! :eek: She's done many more miles now, plus part of Georgia by herself. She still talks about Mountain Harbour.

BTW, I don't even recall them charging for us leaving a vehicle there, which I've done on two occasions. Maybe they did, but it was very reasonable, if so.

Anyway, highly recommended. In fact, I just recommended the place this week to a couple who plan to thru-hike this year.

Rain:sunMan

bus
03-23-2011, 12:03
I loved that place. There are a view pics of it in my gallery. good people. And, it is right off the trail..maybe like 1/4 of a mile or so to the west of the crossing...

dmax
03-23-2011, 12:12
Had a bad shuttle experience with him. I won't ever use them again. I also won't recommend shuttle service from them. The hostel I know nothing about. But after the shuttle ride I will never stay there.

RedneckRye
03-25-2011, 00:37
Had a bad shuttle experience with him. I won't ever use them again. I also won't recommend shuttle service from them. The hostel I know nothing about. But after the shuttle ride I will never stay there.

Bad how?
Care to explain?

dmax
03-25-2011, 02:29
For starters I will go with speeding and passing a car on a blind turn with double yellow lines, going up to Carvers.

HoneyBear
03-25-2011, 06:48
Mountain Harbour is a fantastic hostel. Very friendly hosts. Very reasonable rates for the hostel and set in beautiful surroundings. A friend hiking now had a great experience there. I think this would be a much much better choice than staying in Erwin. My friend hiked in so I'm not sure about the parking fees. I have to agree with Lonewolf that if it is $5 per day is high but it sure beats having your car vandalized up the street at the trailhead.

Croft
03-25-2011, 07:38
John - great place to stop for the night. I was there at a time when there were heavy thunderstorms and they tried to amke room for everyone. The horse trailer leaks though - you're better off in a tent.

I stayed there that night along with loads of other hikers. Got there late afternoon and not only was the horse trailer fully occupied, they had so many hikers trying to duck the incoming storm, they also had their RV full, too. So I ended up tenting in a protected spot between the barn and the hillside. Quite a wild and wooly night with torrential rain and 60 mph winds. As I recall, it was about $5 for tent site, shower, laundry and stove fuel.

Breakfast was over-the-top delicious and worth every penny ($7? $10?). Definitely a "do again" if I'm ever in that area--one of the best hostels on the trail IMHO.

firestarter
03-25-2011, 20:37
MUST-STOP! It has a large movie collection, wood stove, the classiest and gourmet breakfast spread on the trail, accomodating and gracious owners, a ride into town, EXCEPTIONALLY clean, slackpacking if you're into that sort of thing, down right homey feel.

I stayed two nights here on my SOBO thru, and felt like quite a princess, something I desperately needed at the time. The rates are extremely reasonable considering the services. The Roans are magical unto themselves, and this hostel puts them over the top! Can't wait to go back!

Jeff
03-26-2011, 05:41
My visit was fantastic too. I look forward to my next visit.

Hikers must keep in mind that this is a business and prices are fair. But, the owners Mary and Terry are not there to serve freeloaders.

Smile
03-26-2011, 05:57
Super clean, very nice people (not hikers, so keep that in mind), we stayed there last fall for a shuttle to Carver's and hike back to 19E. Breakfast was stellar, fresh fruit, cantelope and blueberries, homemade jams from her neighbor, OJ, coffee and pancakes - delish.

There are cats in house, so if you're allergic be aware. Let our dog stay with no problems at all, and $2 for parking. Not a budget minded stay if you are a thru, but peaceful and a great porch to just chill out on, and watch the goats.

Gambit McCrae
03-24-2014, 09:20
I cant say enough great things about MHBB. Mary and Terry (sp) as well as Shannon got Ward and myself all over the area during my sectioning this area over the span of 3-4 shuttles. I can only hike fri nights, sat and sundays so I cant go very far in a single trip and live 4 hours away. Never stayed here just used their shuttle and parking service. Very dog friendly if your dog isnt an *******, and on a scale this place and people are a 10/10. I will miss seeing them as a venture futher south but will def make a trip to Roan partly to visit with them.

Old Hiker
03-24-2014, 11:13
Stayed in 2012.

I used pictures of the breakfast buffet to show what thru-hikers "normally" eat in the woods. Half my kids believed me. The other half weren't too sure if I was lying or not.

Great place - tented in the parking area, as bunk houses are not for me. Others loved it. Got a shower, buffet, nice shuttle up the road to town. great deal all in all.

Hope they continue. Looking forward to stopping by again in 2016.

bamboo bob
03-24-2014, 11:24
I thought this place was top notch. I am sorry to hear others didn't like it. Passing on a hill, etc. I've had way worse on hitches. This was really a primo place. We got out of the snow. There's another hostel less than a day north and then Kincorra or Bear the next night. Very AT, three hostels in a row.

4-iron
03-24-2014, 11:49
This year I'm thinking of passing Erwin, Tn. (too close to Hot Springs) and try out Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast, located 0.3m west on US19E (~385.5 miles N. of Springer). I'm pretty sure this is the same place I heard a lot of good things about last year.

Anyone use this place?

Stayed there 2 nights during very bad weather in 2011. Most pleasant stay, they did our laundry, took us into town for dinner and shopping, and they have the best breakfast ever! Hope to be lucky enough to get reservations there this year.

4-iron

Giuseppe
05-09-2014, 19:59
Stayed there in 2013, and I can't say enough good things about the place- clean, comfortable and really nice people. Never had such a great breakfast before or since, top notch food and really nice people.