PDA

View Full Version : Useful Google Map Tool for AT Hikers

oshkoshbjosh123
01-23-2008, 18:10
Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be thru-hiking this year and will be leaving for Springer on Feb 17th. I thought I would throw together a little website to make it easier for my family and friends to follow us on our trek. It turns out that my work resulted in a pretty nice google map of the trail and shelters. Unlike other AT google maps out there, the resolution of the trail as well as the number of shelters displayed changes automatically as you zoom in and out. This keeps the map relatively fast while also allowing you to see the trail at the highest resolution available. I wanted to share it with all of you in case you found it valuable in planning. Let me know if you have any problems or if you have a feature request.

Also, my wife and I will be posting our journal entries on our website AND trailjournals.com in case you want to follow us.

Heres the website: www.fivemillionsteps.com (http://www.fivemillionsteps.com/)
Click the "Map of AT" link on the left side and ENJOY!
oh and... don't forget to sign the guestbook

SEE YOU ALL ON THE TRAIL!

-Josh

AT-HITMAN2005
01-23-2008, 18:32
this is really cool.

something to add- mileage between shelters, i think that would give the people at home a little more perspective on the trail. not to be nitpicky and not that it really matters but looks like some of the capacities of the shelters are off. but i might be wrong been 3 years since i've been on the AT.

oshkoshbjosh123
01-23-2008, 19:21
this is really cool.

something to add- mileage between shelters, i think that would give the people at home a little more perspective on the trail. not to be nitpicky and not that it really matters but looks like some of the capacities of the shelters are off. but i might be wrong been 3 years since i've been on the AT.

Miles between shelters... good idea! I will see how hard that would be to implement and let you know if I am successful. As for the accuracy of the data, I obtained a text file containing all the shelters and information about them from some website (I think the Appalachian trail conservancy) so I would expect some of the numbers to be wrong. I didn't have time to go through them and check. If you see any that are horribly wrong or any other mistakes you know of, please let me know and I would be happy to go in and change them!

Thank you!!!

-Josh