PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the guidebooks

Kirby
01-23-2008, 19:33
Well, it seems that a lot of people are starting to receive their 2008 guidebook in the mail, or at least the Appalachian Pages.

I was curious, now that some people have had the chance to review the whole thing them self, what they thought of it in comparison to the other two publications (thru hikers handbook, companion).

All thoughts appreciated,
Kirby

AT-HITMAN2005
01-23-2008, 19:36
i just got my A. Pages. i love the set up. the profile watermarks are great. i will always carry the maps but its nice to just be able to have the book open and know whats coming up.i used the TH handbook in '05 and it was nice, but having the info right there on the opposite page is a huge plus. having to flip to the back of the book was always a pain. i didn't really pay too much attention to accuracy in the handbook because trail relos are always happening, there was never anything that caused major problems though. and i'm sure that will be the case for A. Pages as well.

Congrats on a job well done to the authors.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 19:49
I'm looking at the sample pages on the AP website.

On the trail info one (shelters, water, etc), I notice there is a profile in the background, do the shelter markings like up with the profile, or is that profile there just for a nice background?

Kirby

Red Hat
01-23-2008, 20:01
I'll be getting my Southbound edition of the Appalachian pages in March. I've used the both Handbook and the Databook on different hikes, but this sounds like what I've been waiting for.

gearfreak
01-23-2008, 21:28
I'm looking at the sample pages on the AP website.

On the trail info one (shelters, water, etc), I notice there is a profile in the background, do the shelter markings like up with the profile, or is that profile there just for a nice background?

Kirby

In the front of the book it tells you to turn the book counter-clockwise to view the profile at a 1:7 scale. The triangles indicate shelter locations and they line-up with the shelter text as close as possible. Lots of nice touches in this guide. :cool: