PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Maine during summer?

lifthatiron
01-23-2008, 20:37
What is the weather like in Maine in June and July? My friends and I are planning to hike the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Maine this summer as a final trip before college. I know its a while before the trip, but we are all so siked about the trip that we decided to start preparing now. Ive heard it can be cold, and ive also heard it can be hot which leads me to believe that the weather in Maine during summer is very unpredictable. Also how populated will that section of the trail be in June and July? Thanks for the help.
-Carter

Kirby
01-23-2008, 20:45
Mosquitoes and black flies abound. That time of year, it will be in the 70's and 80's during the day, and somewhere between 40 and 70 degrees at night (rarely the extreme end of that scale). I would suggest holding off until mid to late August, as far as weather goes. I went through there towards the end of August, and was quite pleased with the weather I encountered.

It is quite a lovely section of trail, I have full confidence you will enjoy it, go NOBO and end on the summit of Katahdin.

Kirby

Maineiac
01-23-2008, 20:57
You are correct in stating that the weather in Maine is unpredictable, but that's ok, if you just wait a minute or two it will change (maybe not for the better though). Anyway, June especially could be a rainy month, causing high stream crossings and muddy trail. This type of weather is usually over with by mid month most years. However, that may not even be the worst issue as that month the black flies can be viscious. If you insist on going in June, bring plenty of insect repellent with DEET and maybe a bug net.

Usually by July, the black flies are gone as is the most of the wet weather, only to be replace by mosquitoes. July's weather is usually warm, but generally not oppressive until late in the month when the temps can approach 90F or more (these days are not common though). Usual daytime temps in July are upper 70's to upper 80's, with the night time lows in the 50's and 60's.

Undoubtedly, the best time of year to hike anywhere in Maine is September and October. Very pleasant temperatures and no bugs!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps some.

mudhead
01-23-2008, 20:58
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/three_month.php?redir=1&wfo=car&site=175304&lead=5

Mess around on that site.

It will seem muggy, buggy, and cool to you.

Emphasis on the damp. The sun has a lot less oomph. You dry out slowly.

Don't get why you would want to leave CO during the prime time, but hey, maybe you need a dose of maple leaves.

Do not underestimate the bugs.

Kirby
01-23-2008, 21:13
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/three_month.php?redir=1&wfo=car&site=175304&lead=5

Do not underestimate the bugs.

Worth repeating, give and inch and they'll take a mile.

Kirby

dessertrat
01-24-2008, 00:15
Yup, bugs and bugs. I second waiting until August if you can.

Tinker
01-24-2008, 00:20
The forecast for rural Maine this summer day is:

Swarms of blackflies after sunrise, followed by hoardes of mosquitoes shortly before sundown. :)

lifthatiron
01-24-2008, 19:44
Thanks for all of the replies. I guess we decided on the AT in Maine because it is one of the most secluded sections and ends on top of Katahdin. Ive never hiked, or backpacked in the east before and figured it would be an interesting change. Can anyone else recommend another section of trail that is as secluded as the Maine section? With all the good info you guys have posted im thinking of postponing the trip to the third or fourth week in July. That would be the latest we could do it.

berninbush
01-25-2008, 00:09
If you're looking for "secluded," you could try the BMT in Tennessee/ North Carolina in June or July.

Almost There
01-25-2008, 00:16
If you're looking for "secluded," you could try the BMT in Tennessee/ North Carolina in June or July.

Early June, I hate hiking down this way come July, it gets too darn hot and humid, at least for my taste!

hammock engineer
01-27-2008, 20:52
In july I had lots and lots of rain and bugs. Did I mention the rain and the bugs. Oh and my coldest night was in the low 40's. Take your fall gear and lots of bug protection. Did I mention a headnet.

mudhead
01-27-2008, 20:57
So.

How were the bugs?

(Standard answer is: "Hungry.")

Tinker
01-27-2008, 22:20
Thanks for all of the replies. I guess we decided on the AT in Maine because it is one of the most secluded sections and ends on top of Katahdin. Ive never hiked, or backpacked in the east before and figured it would be an interesting change. Can anyone else recommend another section of trail that is as secluded as the Maine section? With all the good info you guys have posted im thinking of postponing the trip to the third or fourth week in July. That would be the latest we could do it.

That would be a good time, the bugs won't be(too) bad, and you'll probably only meet a few people. My son and I plan to hike it in August. We've done from the Bigelows to Monson together.
If you're not limited to the AT, the northernmost Long Trail is as secluded as the sections mentioned above. Weather and bug situation will be about the same.

DavidNH
01-27-2008, 23:21
Don't try to do 100 mile wilderness in June. Wait till August. Reason.. the stories I have heard about Maine bug season (that lasts thru June) not to mention the mud are stories for the ages. Horror stories about the Black flies.

Perfect time would have to be late August to early September. This is high and away the most beautiful part of the AT. Wait till the weather and the bugs are decent!

DavidNH

hammock engineer
01-28-2008, 11:57

That would be a good time, the bugs won't be(too) bad, and you'll probably only meet a few people. My son and I plan to hike it in August. We've done from the Bigelows to Monson together.
If you're not limited to the AT, the northernmost Long Trail is as secluded as the sections mentioned above. Weather and bug situation will be about the same.

Maine is awesome, definitly my favorite state on the AT. I went through in July and was told that was off peak for the bugs. They were still bad, but not that bad. The worst stretch was in the middle swampland. After that it wasn't that bad.

Depending on when you go through you might see more people than you think. I was surprised at the number of people I saw. There are a lot of summer camps that take treks through there in the summer. They seemed to have good leaders and knew what they were doing. It wasn't crowded, but you will see people everyday and at most shelters. I did manage to stay at a shelter all alone.

IF you go PM me and I will send you a couple not to be missed places. Including my favorite stealth site of my hike.