PDA

View Full Version : mountain house meals

rob123ufl
01-23-2008, 20:51
so i was wondering:

excluding the price, do i want to eat mountain house meals for 6 months? and if i were to, would i want 1 or 2 a day?

ok, now not excluding price, but assuming 3 dollars per mountain house meal (price adjusted for subsidization), would this be more economical than resupplying along the way, without mail drops??

wrongway_08
01-23-2008, 20:54
I think it would be $$$ wise not to do, the rates around here are $5.00 - $7.00, depending on what kind.

I started out thinking I would eat them the whole way but after a few 3 or 4 dayers, changed my mind.

I might keep one on hand just incase I feel lazy but more then likely I will resupply with real food.

Bob S
01-23-2008, 21:03
$5.00 to $7.00 is also the normal price here. I like them but I would think they would become tiring to eat all the time, not enough variety. But mixed with other food they would be ok.

Appalachian Tater
01-23-2008, 21:06
They are expensive but tasty, filling, and light. They are nice to have for the last couple of days before resupply or when camping without a water source. If you go to the MH website, they have the Marine Cuisine on sale. The meals are exactly the same as the regular Mountain House except for the design on the package--they are for the boating market.

Lyle
01-23-2008, 21:14
Haven't used them for quite a few years, but I believe you would want the "serves 2" meals for one person. One of those, along with something extra like crackers, a chunk of cheese, cookies, pudding, handful of gorp, etc. makes a decent meal. They are both expensive and convenient.

Smile
01-23-2008, 21:22
There are a few good threads on here about dehydrating your own food and meals, I'm new at it and it's a lot of fun. Save$. :)

Bearpaw
01-23-2008, 21:44
I've used the Mountain House ProPacks for longer hikes of up to five or six weeks. By the last couple of weeks, I eat 2.

On the AT I added ramen and later butter flavored Crisco to get more calories. I would now add something like olive oil to avoid the sheer amount of saturated fat and transfats in Crisco, but it all helped along the way.

I don't know if it would be worth it for every day on a 6-month walk, but for a mail drop for longer sections, like the 100-Mile Wilderness, it would be good for avoiding a superheavy foodbag.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2008, 21:46
mountain house meaty lasagna is very good. and not dirtying your pot for a night now and then was awesome. i carry parmasan can out of most towns, very heavy on top of chicken rameen noodle is good, can of, i mean foilpack of chicken-your in heaven.

Toolshed
01-23-2008, 22:17
They'd drive you nuts after a few weeks. Any brand would. I used to get pro-deals and stocked up over the years on both Mountain House, Alpine Aire and Backpackers Pantry. I think I liked MH better than BP and much better than AA.
I have used them for a couple of months at a time as dinners when I was TDY with my company (They paid me cash for meals so I saved a bundle) and found they just had too much sodium and just a bit of a weird taste/complexion after a while.
I could probably go a few weeks with them on the trail, but give me some ramen and hot sauce mixed with a big scoop of peanut butter and I can live off some pretty tasty poor man's Pad Thai for a few weeks at about $0.75/day. Much cheaper than the standard $6 meal.
PS Meatless Red beans and rice is the cheapest at about $2.99 - $3.49/2 serving pkg. Beef Stew comes in next around $4.75-$5.
If you are gonna try those, just get a Zatarains RB&R at your local grocer, buy a can of Dinty Moore for $1.69 and dehydrate it and check the taste.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-23-2008, 22:47
i would eat them every once in awhile as a treat. too expensive and bulky(before and after eating) to do it a lot.

Skidsteer
01-23-2008, 22:52
Too much salt to eat day in and day out for me. Bleecch.

fivel
01-23-2008, 22:56
I got sick of them quick. Mostly because there aren't many vegetarian options. I still love the mac & cheese and two of my cousins swear by the beef stroganoff but I can't imagine anyone enjoying these kinds of meals every night. i think what others said is right - maybe 1 per week - or have one here and there - but not every night for 6 months, that is ludicrous, even if they are subsidized ($3 is still a lot more than a $0.10 ramen!)
oh, also - one of my cousins breaks out the mountain house desserts every once in awhile, and those are killer, especially when I had a rough day and she wants to cheer me up!!

rasudduth
01-23-2008, 23:03
I ate them once a day for dinner and did not get sick of them. Yes they are high in salt but in my opinion we need it as thruhikers. They are not the cheapest way to go but I figure that I am getting some semblance of vitamins and minerals that ramen and instant potatoes can't provide. That keeps me healthy and ON the trail. When you buy them at REI, something like 10 or more you get 20% off.

Lilred
01-23-2008, 23:13
I like Mountain House as well. I always pack one or two in my maildrop for a treat but not every night. Also, have you tried Enertia Foods? Same concept as Mountain House but much more compact. Takes up a lot less room.

Almost There
01-24-2008, 00:09
Everyone I know who eats these things regularly on the trail ends up with the worst butt trumpets, so depending on how it affects you, you could end up with a trail name like Vapor Trail! But to each his own. They are rather expensive for everyday meals, much cheaper to find other foods, and easier to resupply in on the trail stores.

fiddlehead
01-24-2008, 00:39
Just Harry used to eat them almost every day.
Lots of trash to carry out for one.

expensive, but you started out saying you didn't care about price then ended up caring. (not sure i understood that)
He did fart a lot but who doesn't? eating all that (carbs) food?

Why not? go for it.

Ramble~On
01-24-2008, 05:15
I like freeze dried foods for a number of reasons...and regularly use them and keep them on hand. MH has some really good ones...what qualifies as "really good" in my book is how well it rehydrates, tastes and fills me up.
In winter months it gets dark so early and the cold can make me not want to spend a lot of time fussing around cooking....boiling water is all 99.9% of these meals need and that can include water for coffee, soup or whatever.
There's a bunch of companies to choose from other than the big brand guys like MH, AA etc...Enertia Foods and Mary Jane's Farm have trailfoods worth checking out.
Would I want to eat Mountain House for 6 months-NO
Your tastes will change and you may find that it is nice to wander the isles of a grocery store and put together a killer food bag..of fresh food devoid of preseratives once and a while...trail cooking can become an art and the options are only limited by the imagination.
Freeze Dried foods have their place in my food bag....they're quick, hassle free and reliable...once you figure out your preference that is...I spent a lot of money figuring out that they are not all the same:rolleyes: and some of them are complete crap.
One simple thing to aid in rehydrating them is a heat retaining sleeve to slide the meal into after you have added the water and mixed and mashed it together..I made one out of an old closed cell foam pad and some tape...it completely covers the foil meal pack and keeps it hot...for a long time. The foam also functions as a cushion, table, pillow etc.
While they're handy..I wouldn't want to limit my menu to them.

Quagmire
01-24-2008, 05:41
I am neither right nor wrong it what we are going to try, but here it is all the same. My little group is going with an all MH dinner setup. It avg'd out to be about 3.25 a meal. I have 8 different meals to choose from, the other 2 in my party have about 10-12 as they are less picky than me. We may get sick of them and start adding other stuff in towns, we may not. But 3.25 for a dinner that will fill you up is not a bad price by any means and i am not one to eat ramen every night or beans and rice as a meal. So i guess it just depends on what you like, are willing to spend, and the amount of effort you want to put into it.

Buying stuff in towns is probably a lot less hassle and requires ZERO planning. Having the bulk of your food and other supplies shipped to you possibly requires a LOT more. We are in the LOT more category and will see how that goes. All i know is i have eaten all of the dinners i bought and enjoy them as much as a meal from mcdonalds or any other fast food or any meal bought at a grocery store that can be cooked as is. I have enough meals where i can have a different one every night of the week. Heck, thats more variety than i have now in the real world.

gamtns2000
01-24-2008, 06:59
I have not done a thru-hike, but I am planning on using them for my upcoming long hike. As others have said, try Enertia Foods. They have a good variety, are primarily vegetarian (not a consideration for me) though they do have meat dishes, tasty, and come with condiments (salt/pepper, parmesan, etc), and their cheese cake is awesome! They add some unique incredients to standard meals, and they also have some bulk staples, like broccoli florets, beans, mushroom slices (yum!), butter powder, and others. Plus, much cheaper, like 3.99 each. Also, much more compact. Much more there than appears.
Wandering Soul

Hooch
01-24-2008, 07:28
so i was wondering:

excluding the price, do i want to eat mountain house meals for 6 months? and if i were to, would i want 1 or 2 a day?

Why would you? They're disgusting. Over salted crap masquerading as food. If you must eat a premade meal, go with something good like Enertia Trailfoods (http://www.trailfoods.com/). Good stuff, fairly light on the wallet and quick to fix, most can be done right in the bag. :D

Heater
01-24-2008, 07:33
Just get the freeze dried or dehydrated meats to add to the cheaper (and better) widely available ready mixed meals.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-24-2008, 07:34
But 3.25 for a dinner that will fill you up is not a bad price by any means and i am not one to eat ramen every night or beans and rice as a meal.

this one of the problems i have with the MH ones at least. once you get your hiking stomach, one will not fill you up.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-24-2008, 07:38
I am neither right nor wrong it what we are going to try, but here it is all the same. My little group is going with an all MH dinner setup. It avg'd out to be about 3.25 a meal. I have 8 different meals to choose from, the other 2 in my party have about 10-12 as they are less picky than me. We may get sick of them and start adding other stuff in towns, we may not. But 3.25 for a dinner that will fill you up is not a bad price by any means and i am not one to eat ramen every night or beans and rice as a meal. So i guess it just depends on what you like, are willing to spend, and the amount of effort you want to put into it.

Buying stuff in towns is probably a lot less hassle and requires ZERO planning. Having the bulk of your food and other supplies shipped to you possibly requires a LOT more. We are in the LOT more category and will see how that goes. All i know is i have eaten all of the dinners i bought and enjoy them as much as a meal from mcdonalds or any other fast food or any meal bought at a grocery store that can be cooked as is. I have enough meals where i can have a different one every night of the week. Heck, thats more variety than i have now in the real world.

Adventure foods offers a very extensive menu selection you may want to look over. The meals I've tried weren't too bad at all.

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 08:55
I like them but also especially on short 2-3 day treks I am more aware of the high sodium content (esp some Backpacker pantry items). I have arranged menus strictly of this stuff for 4 day trips and orders on line. There are some distributors out there where you can get a good deal in bulk.

nitewalker
01-24-2008, 09:42
i have used MH meals for sometime now but recently they are not doing the job they also run 5.00$ to 7.00$ but if bought in bulk the price is brought down some. most servings are double and range from a total of 700 too 900 calories or so. the salt is ridiculous in all prepacked meals like that[most].

my last purchase i went with the backpacker pantry selections because they are less expensive and the serving size is larger[santa fe chicken 13oz serving/2ser, 400cal per ser/2ser, 1110mgsalt 46% per/ser:eek:,23g protein/ser, dietary fib 23g/ser 90%/ser,carbs 66g/ser.....now that i am looking at the bp meal the price of this bpantry is 8.50$ which is more expensive then the smaller mh meals....

as for the overall taste the two products are pretty much the same to me. they create alot of carry out trash but if your smart u can use the ziplock as a trash container it self, most meals now have the zip feature not all.i have been trying to come up with a cold selection for hiking so i can cut back on down time...the bp meals get boring when out more than 2 or 3 days........:sunvariety is the spice of life:sun

minnesotasmith
01-24-2008, 09:48
Nutritionally, they have too much salt, not enough vegetables, are made with refined (white) flour, etc., etc.

If you want to have one like every 10+ days, that's one thing. Daily, NFW.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 09:53
I agree. not very "good" for you but i'll eat one every so often. overpriced too. not very filling either

Cindy from Indy
01-24-2008, 10:53
Everyone I know who eats these things regularly on the trail ends up with the worst butt trumpets

Butt trumpets or worse!!! All the tomato/meat based, Mountain House dinners did this to me!!! When I did my 4 night "trial" hike in Nov, I had all kinds of problems. Didn't bring nearly enough toilet paper!! It was pretty gross.

Now, the BackPacker Pantry brand didn't bother me at all.

I'm planning to have a good variety of freeze-dried, pre-pkgd, vacuum packed and natural foods. But I am sure I will really look forward to the 'real' food in town!! :banana

HIKER7s
01-24-2008, 11:43
yeah, as much real food as you can get pretty much rules

hammock engineer
01-24-2008, 11:46
I only had a little bit of one that a weekender gave me. Once the hunger hits you would need 1 for breakfest and at least 2 for dinner. Eating other foods I averaged about $10 a resupply for food when I was eating the most.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 11:55
I only had a little bit of one that a weekender gave me. Once the hunger hits you would need 1 for breakfest and at least 2 for dinner. Eating other foods I averaged about $10 a resupply for food when I was eating the most.
Agreed. I also had some weekenders dump them on me in Vermont. I ate all three in one night. Wouldn't waste my money on them, but was a nice change, for that night anyway.

mudhead
01-24-2008, 11:55
$10/day?

Thoughtful Owl
01-24-2008, 12:10
Personally, I don't care much for any of the pre-packed meals. High sodium content being a major concern, not having much flavor-they all soon begin to taste the same to me, not enough to fill me up etc. etc.
I usually make up my own "pre-packaged" meals in ziplock bags using thin wheat noodles or other pasta, rice, dehydrated veggies, packaged shrimp, tuna, chicken etc.

sherrill
01-24-2008, 13:29
Sarbar, a member of this site, posts a ton of good info on freeze dried cooking in the Cooking and Food threads, and I believe even has written a cookbook on the subject. If you're interested in this type of cooking you can look there.

I ate a few MH on my thru but I agree with the others: too much salt and not filling.

Marta
01-24-2008, 17:36
I like MH, and ate MH granola for breakfast, and one of the MH pro-packs for supper almost every day of my long hike. I also took MH on the JMT last summer, and will take MH on future hikes. I admit I have not tried Enertia meals because the ones I have looked at do not meet my minimum protein requirements, and some require actual cooking. I reduced the cost by ordering in bulk from:

ldpcampingfoods.com

I didn't have the gastric explosions reported by others, and I like the salt when I'm hiking.

Yeah, eventually 500 calories is not enough for dinner, so I eat some cookies and stuff. The MH desserts are excellent, and I often eat them, too. Sometimes for breakfast.

I ordered equal quantities of each of the 8 pro-pak meals that were available at the time. Now there are some more varieties, so when I reorder I'll try them, too. I no longer like the lasagna because it makes such a cheesy mess on the spoon. I did buy and eat at least one of each variety I was about to order, to see if I'd hate it. Chicken Teriyaki is my least favorite flavor. Beef Stroganoff is my favorite.

Another observation (that I have made a number of times before): MH meals are the first things to be snatched up out of hiker boxes. I hear a lot more complaining about them online than I do when I'm actually hiking. The main complaint by people actually out hiking is about the cost.

Anyway, you might have gotten the impression from some of the above posts that eating MH isn't cool and nobody does it. I can't speak to the cool factor, but some people do eat it, and like it. I'm one of them.

Hooch
01-24-2008, 17:40
Sarbar, a member of this site, posts a ton of good info on freeze dried cooking in the Cooking and Food threads, and I believe even has written a cookbook on the subject. If you're interested in this type of cooking you can look there.......Here's (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/) a link to her website and book. Plenty of good info there. It'll definitely take you out of the mundane and the rut of some freeze dried meals. Just add boling h2o. :banana

envirodiver
01-24-2008, 17:41
They are very easy to prepare and clean-up after. I usually have one in my food bag, don't eat them that much, but sometimes. However, the desserts are excellent, I often eat them. The ice cream thing whatever that is, is tasty.

Skyline
01-24-2008, 17:55
If you are gonna try those, just get a Zatarains RB&R at your local grocer, buy a can of Dinty Moore for $1.69 and dehydrate it and check the taste.

Damn, DSO, I'm going to find myself agreeing with you again.

Dehydrating both prepared canned foods and frozen foods (once thawed) is a time-saving way to make efficient use of a dehydrator. And the results IMHO are superior to many recipes I've slaved over.

Frozen veggies and fruits sold in freezer bags are the easiest no-brainer. No blanching needed, just thaw and dehydrate.

dessertrat
01-24-2008, 18:03
I went back and forth on those things. I have decided that they aren't worth the price, and that there are better options. Instant potatoes are easier and faster, and come out right every time. With some stuff mixed in, they taste better and can have more calories, too.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 18:19
I agree that MH meals are not enough to fill you up. Unless you buy the larger MH meals made for 2 people ($8.50 to $9.00 a meal.) I like many of them and will continue to use them at times, but never as a sole choice of food.

When freeze dried food first came on the backpacking market you could have made a good argument that the light weight, easy packability(sp?) and easy preparation made then a good choice, or even the only real choice. Yea they were expensive, but they offered you something that other foods did not. This in not the case today.

The nice thing is that grocery stores today have so many choices of food that taste great, are light weight, very cost effective, and there is an ever expanding choices of diets. They are easy to make on the trail. This makes grocery store food ready made for backpacking. I don’t see freeze dried food as such a strong argument now that it once was. Certainly not to justify the higher price, at least not as a sole choice of food.

Also companies that make freeze dried foods like MH need to make a package that will burn up and not leave a trace. Having to pack out all that packaging is a pain. They are behind the times with packaging. The empty packaging takes up a lot of space, too much space.

Appalachian Tater
01-24-2008, 18:32
I agree that MH meals are not enough to fill you up. Unless you buy the larger MH meals made for 2 people ($8.50 to $9.00 a meal.

Most thruhikers use the filling, 20 ounce "double portion" meals that are made for two people.

You are greatly overestimating the cost which is from $5.19 to $8.19 with the vast majority at $6.19 or $7.19. http://www.mountainhouse.com/pdf/print_prdlst.pdf

Some of the meals on sale: http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHS

AT-HITMAN2005
01-24-2008, 18:35
even using the double portion meals they were hardly filling.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 18:37
Most thruhikers use the filling, 20 ounce "double portion" meals that are made for two people.

You are greatly overestimating the cost which is from $5.19 to $8.19 with the vast majority at $6.19 or $7.19. http://www.mountainhouse.com/pdf/print_prdlst.pdf

Some of the meals on sale: http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHS

dude. they're hardly filling

Hooch
01-24-2008, 18:40
You are greatly overestimating the cost which is from $5.19 to $8.19 with the vast majority at $6.19 or $7.19. Still pretty pricey. Especially for something that tates like crap. :p

Bob S
01-24-2008, 19:04
The double size meals that are supposed to feed 2-people are $8.50 to $9.00 here in my city. A local camping / army surplus store, Cabalas, and Gander Mountain are all local stores to me and they all sell them for this price. I don’t buy a lot of them so it’s not worth buying on-line and having to pay shipping for a small amount of food. I probably only eat 7 or 8 MH meals a year. That’s why I buy them from Cabalas, and Gander Mountain when I happen to drive by the store.

Appalachian Tater
01-24-2008, 19:11
The double size meals that are supposed to feed 2-people are $8.50 to $9.00 here in my city. A local camping / army surplus store, Cabalas, and Gander Mountain are all local stores to me and they all sell them for this price. I don’t buy a lot of them so it’s not worth buying on-line and having to pay shipping for a small amount of food. I probably only eat 7 or 8 MH meals a year. That’s why I buy them from Cabalas, and Gander Mountain when I happen to drive by the store.

If you buy $50 worth there is no shipping and there is no tax. If you eat 6 a year and pay $8 each you should order them and you would save quite a bit, especially if you get the sale meals. You could get ten meals for the same price, which would be a 66% bonus. http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHS

Nest
01-24-2008, 19:18
I will be eating some MH this year. I ordered some of the meals in bulk #10 cans. Then I put them in vacuum sealer bags and sealed them. I got them pretty cheap that way, so I put three servings in each bag. Still cost less than the individual packages, and three servings will definately fill me up. So there's another option.

Captain Blue
01-24-2008, 19:53
I agree with Marta's post. I have eaten Mountain House dinners and Mountain House blueberry granola on most days of my 5,000+ miles of AT hiking. They are very easy to prepare and quite tasty.

I prefer the 20oz "two person" dinners for my dinner. And sometimes I do eat two of them for dinner. I purchase mine from LDPCampingFoods.com. On my recent order, after factoring in my discount, I did not pay over $5 for any 20 oz meal.

The sodium content is fine with me. As a matter of fact I add more salt to my dinners. I tend to sweat out a lot of salt. The extra salt helps prevent hyponatremia which I have experienced before.

Yes, the packaging could be less. Yes, the price could be cheaper. But they are quite tasty and quite easy to prepare. No they don't give me gas any more than other foods.

I have tried Enertia Trail Foods. I like their deserts. They are made in my hometown and a friend of mine works there.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 19:59
MH scrambled eggs suck, they are spongy when you bite into them. I love breakfast & eggs but I hate MH eggs, is there another brand of eggs or some way to enjoy scrambled eggs when backpacking that actually taste good?

Appalachian Tater
01-24-2008, 20:14
MH scrambled eggs suck, they are spongy when you bite into them. I love breakfast & eggs but I hate MH eggs, is there another brand of eggs or some way to enjoy scrambled eggs when backpacking that actually taste good?

Just carry some fresh eggs in a cardboard carton. They will keep several weeks except in the extreme heat of summer. The shell is very little waste compared to the quality and quantity of nutrition contained.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2008, 20:23
I think if you eat anything often enough, you'll eventually come to despise it.

I kinda like MH dinners, as I don't eat them very often, mainly because of the expense. The Sweet and Sour Pork isn't bad, neither is their Lasagna, tho it's pretty sad compared to mine.

I always leave town with a green pepper and an onion, and these get diced up and put into just about all my dinners. Adding a few things to a MH dinner (or similar product) and adding some spices or hot sauce can make a really big difference, in addition to "padding out" the dinner so you get more to eat.

But yeah, if I'm gonna eat a designer dehydrated meal, Mountain House gets my vote.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 20:37
Just carry some fresh eggs in a cardboard carton. They will keep several weeks except in the extreme heat of summer. The shell is very little waste compared to the quality and quantity of nutrition contained.

For some reason I have never had any luck keeping eggs from breaking. If broken and put in something like a small Nalgene bottle will they keep very long once out of the shell?

I never thought to look Do grocery stores have powered eggs like they do powered milk? I know they have the eggs in the small milk cartons but these need refrigeration or so it says on the carton.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-24-2008, 20:41
I would not bother with them they are bulky to carry fairly heavy if you are carrying a weeks worth and difficult to dispose of. I prefer packaging boil and eat items like instant potatoes--many varieties at wally mart- mac and cheese-ramen noodles-grits etc anything that you can add boiling water to and cook easily.I package these in small zip locks and add boiling water. less mess and easy to burn or pack out.most
stores have a variety including instant soups etc iI also like to carry oatmeal a
variety of teabags-and flour tortillos just use you imagination and watch the weight

Hillbilly

Marta
01-24-2008, 21:06
For some reason I have never had any luck keeping eggs from breaking. If broken and put in something like a small Nalgene bottle will they keep very long once out of the shell?

Not really a good idea. The eggshell and interior membrane keeps and egg from growing the bacteria that will make you sick. Compromise the shell, or take the egg entirely out of it, and the egg can rapidly become your worst enemy.

In the US, eggs sold in stores have already been somewhat compromised by washing. In most other countries, eggs are not washed before selling, and are stored and sold at room temperature.

Old-fashioned mayonnaise contains raw eggs, which was the cause of so many cases of food poisoning. At this point mayonnaise is made with sterilized eggs. It bears about the same resemblance to fresh mayonnaise that MH beef stew bears to homemade beef stew, but it won't develop food poisoning organisms.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 21:19
Not really a good idea. The eggshell and interior membrane keeps and egg from growing the bacteria that will make you sick. Compromise the shell, or take the egg entirely out of it, and the egg can rapidly become your worst enemy.

In the US, eggs sold in stores have already been somewhat compromised by washing. In most other countries, eggs are not washed before selling, and are stored and sold at room temperature.

Old-fashioned mayonnaise contains raw eggs, which was the cause of so many cases of food poisoning. At this point mayonnaise is made with sterilized eggs. It bears about the same resemblance to fresh mayonnaise that MH beef stew bears to homemade beef stew, but it won't develop food poisoning organisms.

I didn’t think they would last when out of the shell. Do you know of any place to buy powered eggs you can mix with water and cook like normal?

Blissful
01-24-2008, 21:19
We only had a few MH packets with us for those days when we had long hikes and a short amount of time to cook. We split them too. Not much food, but they were tasty and quick.

Skidsteer
01-24-2008, 21:53
I didn’t think they would last when out of the shell. Do you know of any place to buy powered eggs you can mix with water and cook like normal?

Hmmm. I saw powdered egg whites at the grocery store recently.

Whole powdered eggs can be ordered online. Just google.

Toolshed
01-24-2008, 21:54
REI-outlet.com has a handful lof BP meals on sale for about $4.50. All 2 serving meals.
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/search?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH&query=food
They also sometimes have packaging seconds at close to 50% off.

Bob S
01-24-2008, 22:53
Hmmm. I saw powdered egg whites at the grocery store recently.

Whole powdered eggs can be ordered online. Just google.

I always try to buy locally if I can, I have a small business and I appreciate it when customers use me over the big guys and I like to do the same if I can. But no one locally seems to have powered eggs.

I did do a search and found several places that sell them. Thanks.

Marta
01-24-2008, 22:59
I always try to buy locally if I can, I have a small business and I appreciate it when customers use me over the big guys and I like to do the same if I can. But no one locally seems to have powered eggs.

I did do a search and found several places that sell them. Thanks.

There were a couple of SOBOs in '06 (Beebo Fox and Big Ron) who were reputed to just love powdered eggs. (Ah, gossip!) I have no idea where they got them, though.

Ramble~On
01-25-2008, 05:42
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=631&HS=1&gclid=CLS-9diLkZECFQa1IgodNjgGIA

Not sure if this link is gonna work or not but $15.00 or so for a #10 can.

HIKER7s
01-25-2008, 07:23
There were a couple of SOBOs in '06 (Beebo Fox and Big Ron) who were reputed to just love powdered eggs. (Ah, gossip!) I have no idea where they got them, though.

I hike with a guy (Eagle53) who eats powdered egg just like they are (with no water!) :eek:. Me, cant stand them.

Thoughtful Owl
01-25-2008, 10:47
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=631&HS=1&gclid=CLS-9diLkZECFQa1IgodNjgGIA

Not sure if this link is gonna work or not but $15.00 or so for a #10 can.

much better than on ebay. the powdered eggs are about the same price but they want something like $15 to ship a can.

queary82
03-02-2008, 02:42
I bought a few MH meals for a four day hike I'm taking next week. The two serving packages are too much food in one sitting for me so I might split them up into freezer bags. If I still happen to be hungry after I finish the first bag I can always cook up the other.

KG4FAM
03-02-2008, 02:52
When I was volunteering for a while after Katrina a local guy at the church gave me a box of the MH meals when I told him I was going to hike for a while. I think it was about 17 meals. I got tired of them and used the last of them as my contingency food. I never got tired of mac and cheese though.

jrwiesz
03-02-2008, 10:13

Bob, I've probably said it ten times on various threads on this site. And I think I have sampled and used quite a few different brands of "pack foods" over the years. I my opinion nothing beats MJF. She knows what she is doing.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/categories/food-pantry.asp

Here's two great breakfasts. About as good as can be expected for powdered type eggs. Mix with cold water, then cook like regular eggs. However, I always take real eggs in the shell, raw and hardboiled[use a plastic egg carrier to protect them-I don't consider myself a gram weenie].

http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=231&ProductID=43001

http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=231&ProductID=43002

But really, it's the other entrees that are so outstanding. Try one of the samplers that she offers, that's how I first started with her offerings. Now I buy everything in the bulk offerings and separate it for the trail as I need it, in the serving size I think I'll be eating.

My only regret is that I didn't buy some of her stock! Because, I sure have advertised plenty for her. I guess one would call me, a satisfied customer.
She has great black beans, pinto beans, and salsa for your tortillas. Lentil bisque and Black bean corn chowder are a couple of my favorites. No spices needed for any of her stuff, it's already in there.:sun