PDA

View Full Version : MSR SweetWater Drops

J5man
01-23-2008, 22:52
Was talking to CookerHiker at the Ruck and I asked him if was OK to use the SweetWater Drops only (they are part of the SweetWater Filter System). He said that someone told him last week they were doing it but he had not tried it yet. Has anyone else out there had experience of using the drops only?

Lyle
01-24-2008, 02:33
"SweetWater Purifier Solution is approved for use with the SweetWater Purifier System only, it is not recommended for use with other filter systems"

This is from the REI website. No further explanation is given. To me it sounds more like a recommendation from Sweetwater's Marketing Department than from their Research Department. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-24-2008, 08:04
It's just an itty bitty bottle of bleach isn't it?

Critterman
01-24-2008, 08:20

Pretty much.

J5man
01-24-2008, 17:47

I picked up a bottle today ($9.95) for 2 ounce bottle

Active Ingredients: 3.5% Sodium hypochlorite
Other Ingredients: 96.5
Total: 100%

Instructions on bottle:
After pumping water.....add 5 drops per liter of water. Mix for 10 seconds. Wait 5 minutes before drinking.

I was looking for a chemical treatment in lieu of using my filter. Sounds like it might work. All of you chemist types out there please comment. (ok, non-chemist are welcome too)

envirodiver
01-24-2008, 17:53
5 min. is an awfully short contact time. With the sweetwater system the drops are to kill viruses only, everything else gets filtered out.

What you are doing is different and since you are trying to kill bacteria and protozoans (Giardia, Crypto) as well as the virus. Cysts take much longer.

Critterman
01-24-2008, 18:02
I picked up a bottle today ($9.95) for 2 ounce bottle

Active Ingredients: 3.5% Sodium hypochlorite
Other Ingredients: 96.5
Total: 100%..........

Bleach - 6% sodium hypochlorite.