PDA

View Full Version : "the shot"

vonfrick
01-23-2008, 23:45
I'm section hiking this summer from Kilington up to Katahdin and after a few crampy and inconvenient days on the Long Trail last summer (and packing out the unmentionables!), I'm considering the progesterone shots. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Cindy from Indy
01-24-2008, 10:57
Would that be the Estrogen Provera shot that you get every 3 months??

Cindy from Indy
01-24-2008, 10:59
Would that be the Estrogen Provera shot that you get every 3 months??

Sorry, I mean the Depo Provera injection??

Roots
01-24-2008, 11:07
Sorry, I mean the Depo Provera injection??

Remember, this is only MY opinion. Any time I have had any of the shots, Provera or others that as of right now I can not remember( the once a month), I have had breakthrough spotting the ENTIRE time. I also had issues with gaining weight (and it was not due to changing my eating habits). I think I am just one of the many, from others I have talked to, that do not do well with a big shot of hormones all at once. Everyone's bodies are different, but from several I have talked with about this subject, they had similar reactions. I do better with time released hormones. Definitely see what you think. Try it before you leave, if you have time since it is a 3 month shot(right?). I just thought I'd give my experience with it. Good luck!!:)

Cindy from Indy
01-24-2008, 12:04
I had my first Depo Provera shot October 23rd. Everything was great for 6 weeks, but then I had heavy spotting for 6 weeks! (no other symptoms though, ie, cramps, bloated, emotional)

I saw my Gyno and complained. She indicated that my body was simply adjusting to the hormone levels.

I had my second shot Dec 23rd. So far, only 1 day of light, light spotting.

I am crossing my fingers on this. My 3rd shot is due Mar 23rd and then my 4th and final shot will be Jun 23rd while I'm on my thru-hike.

My goal is to have my hike completed by Sept 23rd and I won't need anymore shots. So, we shall see if I can stay on schedule or not. :D

I think planning ahead and having a couple rounds of shots done prior to your hike date is a good idea. You never know how your body will react.

Cindy from Indy
02-28-2008, 15:34
UPDATE TO ABOVE POST: I'M DONE

This "shot" is not having the promised effect I was looking for. Heavy spotting/discharge for most of the time. What a pain! You still have to wear a liner and worry about packing it all out. I might as well have the darn period and it's over with in 5 days. Doesn't linger on like this for 6wks or more.....Geez....I just can't recommend this at all. Sorry:(

Cuffs
02-28-2008, 18:12
CfI, can you clarify please?

Were you getting Depo Provera (the birth control shot?)

Its supposed to be administered every 12 weeks, not 8...?

For the full effects (side effects) of no more break through or and cycle of any kind, it takes about a year of injections.

Been on the Depo for over 10 years and yes, NO cycle after the first year!!

If it is the Depo you are taking, try again, but get thru the first year if you expect the 'side' effect to do what you want.

Farr Away
02-28-2008, 18:36
I'm on the generic depo shot. I have had some spotting, usually just before the next shot. (When I was on depo (non-generic) before, I didn't have any spotting.) Over time, the spotting does seem to be going away. I haven't had a problem with weight gain either. YMMV.

vonfrick
02-28-2008, 18:38
thanks to all for your advice. i'm gonna stick with mother nature on this. one curse is enough.

Cindy from Indy
03-01-2008, 15:19
CfI, can you clarify please?

Were you getting Depo Provera (the birth control shot?)

Its supposed to be administered every 12 weeks, not 8...?

For the full effects (side effects) of no more break through or and cycle of any kind, it takes about a year of injections.

Been on the Depo for over 10 years and yes, NO cycle after the first year!!

If it is the Depo you are taking, try again, but get thru the first year if you expect the 'side' effect to do what you want.

A YEAR??!! Well geez....why didn't my doctor tell me that? I wanted instant success!!! LOL

Yes, I've had the Depo Prevera shots ever 12 weeks. But, I've only had 2 shots so far. My third is due March 25th. However, I am sure now that I'm going to just skip it and go back to mother nature. I'll just need to "suck it up" and get through it.

Thanks for the info Cuffs!! :)

Spottzie
03-02-2008, 18:10
Back in October my doctor switched my bc to Lybrel. It's a 28 pill pack, no off days. The first month was normal, then light spotting for a few weeks. After that, nothing. Still haven't had a period and she gave me 4 months of samples to get me through most of the the thru hike. Hope this helps!
Steph

truthisnature
07-02-2008, 10:07
I have been on the depo shot for years now and I love it. Only had trouble with the first injection...got violent cramps and nausea for a day but after that all is good. No periods and no spotting.... In a few years I would like to attempt a thru hike and I was wondering how it will be, I need my shot every 3 months. How do you plan for that? Anyone deal with this issue before?

Biancap
07-02-2008, 21:26
One altenative that I have done is to skip my period using my BC pills. It depends on the particular pill and you can ask your OBGYN/GYN about it. Another option is the other birth control pills that make it so you only have 4 periods a year or so.

Dancer
07-11-2008, 13:41
Love my Depo shot! No spotting at all but I do know women that do not like it at all because of the spotting. At least give it a try, you may love it. Warning: I was not formerly a dairy person. Since beginning the shot I have been craving ice cream, milk shakes etc. That might just be me though.

Big Sky
07-11-2008, 19:59
I'm on the seasonale stuff (generic of course). I absolutely love it. I've never had any issues with any breakthrough bleeding or cramps or anything. It's wonderful for hiking.

truthisnature
07-16-2008, 14:02
Love my Depo shot! No spotting at all but I do know women that do not like it at all because of the spotting. At least give it a try, you may love it. Warning: I was not formerly a dairy person. Since beginning the shot I have been craving ice cream, milk shakes etc. That might just be me though.

For a thru hike....Any idea of what you will do when you are due for your injections? I was wondering if the doc would give the vials so I could give them to myself or if a doc/nurse must administer. Seems like it would be a bit impossible to make the appointments at just any place along the trail.

Dancer
07-16-2008, 15:19
For a thru hike....Any idea of what you will do when you are due for your injections? I was wondering if the doc would give the vials so I could give them to myself or if a doc/nurse must administer. Seems like it would be a bit impossible to make the appointments at just any place along the trail.

I haven't thru hiked but I have a copy of my prescription for a whole year (4 doses). I imagine (but am not sure) that you could get it filled at most any pharmacy and then have it administered at an urgent or immediate care clinic (no appt necessary) in or near a trail town. Mine is every three months. Might have to arrange a ride into a larger town a couple of times to get it done.

I would check with your local immediate or urgent care to see if they would be willing to admin a shot to a walk in with an RX or not. Clinics near the trail are used to strange thru-hiker situations I'm sure.

There, more research and prep on your pre-hike pile:D. Good luck.

Cuffs
07-16-2008, 15:35

Have not thru hiked either... but I too had a full years Rx. several years ago, I was teaching high school. I asked the Dr. if I could administer it myself (came in a syringe) or have the school nurse administer it... (I was trying to avoid paying for an office visit for the 2 seconds that I was there). Doc told me that if the nurse gave me the shot and then sent over a 'report' on letterhead, he could have it added to my file and all would be well. So thats what I did.

I think if you have the Rx for the shot, you may be able to pick it up at any pharmacy and have any walk-in clinic give it to you. Get a copy of your visit to give to your doc for their record keeping.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-22-2008, 17:18
whoa...stay away from the depo injection. It takes at least 3 cycles for the body to get used to the drug. 90% of women take on water (10-30 lbs) in the first month (I took on 50 lbs in the first month...all water bloating) And 65% of women spot constantly.

I was on depo for 2 years before the doc realised that it was the WORST drug for anyone with diabetes and/or ovarian cysts to be on.

The best thing I found for hiking and not getting my cycle was nuvaring. I just replaced it every 4 weeks instead of leaving it out for a week. no spotting, no weight gain or mood swings. Other pro was no pills to carry. Only con was a slight cramping the first 3 days I started using it. The new seasonale pill also has new very low dose horomones and you only bleed once every 4 months. Friends say no spotting either.

I'm on yasmin....which contains a mild diuretic and is the only pill for women with PCOS. Slows hair growth, cears up acne, and no weight gain. Only down side is Ihave to watch my potassium levels and 30% of women get sever mood swings during the first 3 cycles.

Thru Hiker Wife
07-22-2008, 17:48
I spent many, many years on the depo provera shot (due to endometriosis) before I had my hyst surgery. I loved it once my body adjusted as there was no periods or break through bleeding. However, my first time with the shot, I bled for six weeks straight and had to go on estrogen to counteract if for awhile. The things I hated about it were that for two weeks around shot time, I had major mood swings, migraines (which I get anyway) and sometimes an upset stomach.

As for getting your shot on the trail, you have to see what your physician will allow. For me, my mother was the RN for my physician when I first started so she was allowed to administer them and every doctor thereafter, also allowed that. However, some may find it a liability to allow it to be administered outside of their office as, I know when I was receiving it, they required a pregnancy test before each shot.

That actually leads to my next comment, if you are of child bearing age and even think you might want children in the future, I do not recommend this shot. The minimum amount of time this shot stays in your system is 3 months. The max is TWO YEARS. A friend of mine was on the shot due to endo as well for many years. A year or so after coming off the shot, she became pregnant. She lost the baby within a few weeks due to some of the shot still being in her system.

Also, don't get this confused with Depo Lupron which is a similar shot that has to be administered monthly and throws you into chemically induced menopause.

FYI, I had my hyst surgery way back when due to endo, an enlarged uterus, one ovary that had gone cystic and the other was on it's way. I don't know if the cysts or any of it had anything directly to do with the shot but SWS's comments give me pause.

Sorry for the book, but I hope my experiences can help some others with this deicision.

Thru Hiker Wife
07-22-2008, 17:49
Oh, and another thing I hated...MAJOR weight gain.

Aussie922
07-22-2008, 17:56
I was on the shot for 9 months. Had spotting for the first two and nothing after that. It's been 7 months since my last shot, and I have still only had a little bit of spotting.
I lost about 8 pounds the first month that I was on it, and have slowly gained it back since then.
Major downsides- I was in a terrible mood while I was on it (sad, snappy, etc.). It improved a little once I realized what was causing it, but it was still there. Plus, even with lots of calcium supplements and exercise, my bones became very weak.

Pickleodeon
07-28-2008, 20:21
Hi, I don't know about the shot, but I'm on Nuvaring. It's a little plastic ring, looks like a smaller version of those little vinyl colored bracelts. It does physically need to be put inside the vagina by you every month which is a little weird at first, but not a huge deal. It hangs out in there for three weeks, take it out for one. It's a lot easier to carry a few nuvarings than a ton of pill packs. Plus I like that idea better than injections or spotting 24/7.

truthisnature
08-01-2008, 12:04
Please check this out....important info for anyone on or thinking of using depo injections....I am now wishing my doctor would of been upfront with me!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39747

sarbar
08-01-2008, 23:46
I posted on TIN's thread about my experience back in the day with the arm rods....not fun!

I know periods might not be "fun" but it isn't a huge issue (at least to me). I spent the past decade with a http://www.paragard.com/ IUD in - and sure, I spent every period in the summer/spring and fall months hiking while on it. But it was never a big problem. I carried supplies, bags to pack out in, extra TP and some baby wipes.

It is worth it - no hormones to mess with :)

saimyoji
08-02-2008, 00:04
you are all heroic in my book. :cool:

SurlyTemple
08-10-2008, 21:54
While I was in the military I was on depo just to make life easier on me. Being in the field for days/weeks/months was enough stress with out having a period to deal with. I had a good experience with me depo. After the first shot my period stopped I had no weight gain and my moods actually seemed better. All though I have never had a bad experience with the Depo shot I have had friends who have had horrible times with it. The best advice is simply to talk to your doctor and see whats right for you. I personally love depo.