PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrater

krazychefkurt
12-31-2003, 04:02
Just got my dehydrater today can't wait to try it out. I have been wanting to make my own style of liptons. Homemade is always better!!!! So any suggesttions to try?

Blue Jay
12-31-2003, 08:48
So any suggesttions to try?

Try every last thing that you like to eat. Most hikers I've camped out with, eat the same crap every day. It's no wonder they have to flee to town at every road crossing. You no longer have to, you can eat like a king. Congratulations.

Frosty
12-31-2003, 09:32
Just got my dehydrater today can't wait to try it out. I have been wanting to make my own style of liptons. Homemade is always better!!!! So any suggesttions to try?

I've had good luck with jerky. I have a turkey dinner and take left over breast meat (dark does not do well - too much fat), cut it into strips, marinate it in a slightly watered down LaCHoy Sweet & Sour sauce, and dry it for a day or so. Also beef jerky (flank steak - very lean) with teriyaki sauce.

My best fruit is pineapple slices (in own juice). Don't overdry - should be bendable. Much better than commercial as commercial dry pineapple always ahs a ton of sugar. I save the elftover juice from the cans. I core apples, cut rings (thick about one quarter inch) with the skin s, dip them in the juice, and dry them (skin on) very dry so they are crunchy. I did grapes once. I had to dry them almost a week. Although they were better than SunMaid, they weren't worth the hassle of all the turning.

I store dehydrated stuff in freezer in frezer bags, and take out when needed. They keep well.

Kyle & Lisa
12-31-2003, 10:06
Hey, Frosty--do you turn all your fruits throughout the drying process? I only do that with my jerky--should I turn my apples, kiwi(THE BEST!), bananas? Thanks.

Kyle

Alligator
12-31-2003, 11:13
One suggestion before you use it is if it doen't have a temperature setting, and you can, take it back and get one that does. Mine doesn't and some things I can't make because it is just a little too warm. Dried fruit doesn't work well for me.

I like to dry cabbage, carrots, leeks, and bok choy and throw them into Ramens. Veggies can be dried separately and mixed and matched later. Some veggies need to be blanched first, green beans come to mind.

Jerkies are great because a straight shot of protein is a good fix for snack breaks. It's easy to overload on sugary snacks, especially when you get tired of the nuts. Like Blue Jay said, many of the foods you eat at home can be dehydrated. Small uniform pieces are the key to quick drying and easy rehydration. Also, it helps to cook down any sauces to a real thick consistency.

Lanceglas
02-12-2006, 13:18
My suggestion is to make a lot of stew. Boil potatos, add canned tomatoes, veggies, spices, meat if desired, and a hearty grain (rice, quinoia), and beans or lentils. It dehydrates and rehydrates well, and you can make extremely large amounts at once.

Blister
02-28-2006, 17:27
Another great turkey method is to coat in maple syrup - the real stuff! I am from new england. coat it twice once as you put it in the dehydrator and 1/2 way through. it also helps preserve it.
another one I am doing is turkey chilli and tomato sauces - I like the turkey because its fat content is much lower than beef - the more fat the more likley for spoilage.
Dry your veggies seasoned - example - dried tomatoes with crushed garlic salt pepper and fresh basil

K-Man
02-28-2006, 17:34
Be careful with beans in the dehydrator because they do not rehydrate well. I learned that lesson the hard way in my last batch of chili through eating hard beans. I ended up having to cook my rehydrated chili next to a fire for an hour for the beans to absorb an acceptable amount of moisture.

hopefulhiker
02-28-2006, 17:56
A good book is "Backpack Gourmet" by Linda Frederick Yaffe. I/my wife dehydrated a lot of fruit and pasta dishes. Also one of those vacuum sealing machines is good.. Made a bunch in advance and froze it.

Skidsteer
02-28-2006, 18:09
Homemade spaghetti is one of my stand-bys. Have it for supper at home one night; When you're done eating, fix another plate like you just ate and put it in your dehydrator( it helps to break the spaghetti noodles into @ 2" pieces before cooking ). Package in a quart ziplock and store in the freezer. :) Good stuff.

sarbar
02-28-2006, 20:20
Beans do their best if you mash or puree them before drying, from my experiences.

PKH
03-01-2006, 07:03
One of the easiest, quickest rehydrating, nutritious and tasty meals to take is lentils. Sarbar - I believe a while ago I sent you my notion of initially cooking the lentils in pot roast stock. Don't know if you've tried this yet but it produces the most marvellously seasoned lentils. It's become one of my staples and I always have a couple of thiese meals ready to go.

cheers,

PKH

BW2006
03-01-2006, 09:14
I dehydrate hummus. It will be easy to eat for lunch on the trail. I just carry a small 1 cup container, add water and in 1/2 hour it's good to go. A great source of protein, fat and carbs.

I also really love to dehydrate applesauce. It makes great fruit leathers and you can just add water and it turns back into applesauce in 1/2 hour.

fivefour
03-01-2006, 10:00
Another great turkey method is to coat in maple syrup - the real stuff! I am from new england. coat it twice once as you put it in the dehydrator and 1/2 way through. it also helps preserve it.
another one I am doing is turkey chilli and tomato sauces - I like the turkey because its fat content is much lower than beef - the more fat the more likley for spoilage.
Dry your veggies seasoned - example - dried tomatoes with crushed garlic salt pepper and fresh basil

wow ... the seasoned veggies sound great ! but the turkey you are refering to. is this left over, fully cooked turkey ?

tsali
03-01-2006, 10:03
I like to saute some onions, garlic, and jalapenos, then add some ground beef(lean). cook then drain the grease off, add a can of tomato paste then the meat back to the pan cook down for a little while then dry it out. Great rehydrated as sloppy joes or add to ramen with some veggies. works great.

fivefour
03-01-2006, 10:15
My suggestion is to make a lot of stew. Boil potatos, add canned tomatoes, veggies, spices, meat if desired, and a hearty grain (rice, quinoia), and beans or lentils. It dehydrates and rehydrates well, and you can make extremely large amounts at once.

i think i am going to try and dehydrate a can of beef stew this weekend. what do you guys rehydrate in ? i tried a zip-lock srew top container this past trip and it worked well but it leaks if turned upside down. what i really want is a 1 liter wide mouth nalgene cut in half, if you follow me. the .5 liter nalgenes do not have the same diameter as the 1 liters. they are definitely leak proof and you could eat right out of such a bottle.

sarbar
03-01-2006, 11:26
One of the easiest, quickest rehydrating, nutritious and tasty meals to take is lentils. Sarbar - I believe a while ago I sent you my notion of initially cooking the lentils in pot roast stock. Don't know if you've tried this yet but it produces the most marvellously seasoned lentils. It's become one of my staples and I always have a couple of thiese meals ready to go.

cheers,

PKH
Yep, and they are dang good!!

sarbar
03-01-2006, 11:29
i think i am going to try and dehydrate a can of beef stew this weekend. what do you guys rehydrate in ? i tried a zip-lock srew top container this past trip and it worked well but it leaks if turned upside down. what i really want is a 1 liter wide mouth nalgene cut in half, if you follow me. the .5 liter nalgenes do not have the same diameter as the 1 liters. they are definitely leak proof and you could eat right out of such a bottle.
Some REI's carry Lexan jars by Nalgene in vivid colors with white lids-that are scew on's. Might check that out at least-or go to the Nalgene website, they used to sell on it, a couple years ago at least!
Me? I just use freezer bags...works good enough-and if you are in camp, no spillage issues :)

fivefour
03-01-2006, 11:33
Some REI's carry Lexan jars by Nalgene in vivid colors with white lids-that are scew on's. Might check that out at least-or go to the Nalgene website, they used to sell on it, a couple years ago at least!
Me? I just use freezer bags...works good enough-and if you are in camp, no spillage issues :)

i have looked as those and they claim to be for dry storage only. i expect them to work about as well as the zip-lock screw type. they also seem a little more fragile. what i am going for, is to rehydrate my dinner while i hike, in a container, stuffed in my pack. then i just have to warm it when i reach that nights destination. some meals rehydrate quickly, others (like beans) take some time.

Turtle2
03-01-2006, 12:43
If you can bear the weight, REI has a 4 cup measuring cup with handle and screw lid. It even has a hole in the handle for adding your own cord for hanging. Doesn't leak. You know, I've got one I'll sell if anyone is interested. $6 with shipping.

neo
03-01-2006, 14:58
does anybody use this dehydrator sold by antigravity gear,its only 75 bucks

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68

sarbar
03-01-2006, 15:05
i have looked as those and they claim to be for dry storage only. i expect them to work about as well as the zip-lock screw type. they also seem a little more fragile. what i am going for, is to rehydrate my dinner while i hike, in a container, stuffed in my pack. then i just have to warm it when i reach that nights destination. some meals rehydrate quickly, others (like beans) take some time.
Most home dried meals will come back to life with boiling water though..and sitting in a cozy for 15 minutes or so.
If you have a container, and you are not sure, you can always put into a ziploc bag for water leakage.

fivefour
03-01-2006, 15:26
If you can bear the weight, REI has a 4 cup measuring cup with handle and screw lid. It even has a hole in the handle for adding your own cord for hanging. Doesn't leak. You know, I've got one I'll sell if anyone is interested. $6 with shipping.

how much does it weigh ?

fivefour
03-01-2006, 15:27
Most home dried meals will come back to life with boiling water though..and sitting in a cozy for 15 minutes or so.
If you have a container, and you are not sure, you can always put into a ziploc bag for water leakage.

zip lock inside the container ... now that is a good idea. :cool:

fivefour
03-01-2006, 15:36
does anybody use this dehydrator sold by antigravity gear,its only 75 bucks

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=68

i don't use that brand but it looks exactly like and has the same 500 watt power as the nesco i bought from walmart for $38. it didn't come with the accessoried tho.

BUT you could contact George at antigravity gear with any questions regarding anything they sell. they are top-notch, nice people.

sarbar
03-01-2006, 18:21
zip lock inside the container ... now that is a good idea. :cool:
The container will help if the bag leaks, and protects against being banged up in your backpack :)

fivefour
03-02-2006, 09:27
The container will help if the bag leaks, and protects against being banged up in your backpack :)

now if i can just find vacuum seal bags that also have a zip lock for resealing after opening.

april2006
03-02-2006, 18:58
I have the GSI Outdoors Lexan® 32 oz. Fairshare Mug from Campmor. It's a little big I guess but it has a tight fitting screw on lid and I keep my olive oil and other potentially messy stuff in there when I'm not using it. And it can be used as a rehydration container, as well as to make 2 pot meals in camp. (like mashed potatoes and stuffing with gravy. Put stuffing in the bottom to rehydrate. Add mashed potatoes when you get more water warmed, then you can make the gravy with the left over water and pour over top...yum!!)