PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Summit

Miss Janet
01-24-2008, 02:37
I attended a meeting in the town of Erwin last night to discuss the Gateway Community Training that some of our town leaders will be attending. Much of the discussion was about the Rocky Fork wilderness area that is under contract by several parties interested in conserving the area. The goals of the program include assisting communities in developing plans for future conservation, tourism development, volunteer opportunities and education programs. This is very simplified but it seems like a great program. Right now Hot Springs, NC and Boiling Springs, PA have implemented the programs and a few others will be starting programs soon. While my interest is in the Appalachian Trail Gateway Community Program I understand that the Gateway program also looks to include other areas adjacent to parks and federally held lands. Those of you who attended the SoRuck ATC presentation learned some about this program.

I have made clear my goal to see Erwin, Tennessee become the next Appalachian Trail Gateway Community. The program addresses many of the needs of this community and I am excited to learn more about it and the process to get it started. I will be coordinating another Appalachian Trail Summit to provide a way to share information about this program with the people in my area. The Summit will also serve as a "Meet and Greet" for the long distance hikers on the trail at that time and the local individuals, business owners, city/county officials. The goal of the Appalachian Trail Summit has always been to create a good networking atmosphere, share some good information about the AT, hikers and hiking and have fun doing it!!

The date set for the Summit is Saturday April 5th.
The location and program details will be made available as soon as I figure them all out!

If any of you are in this area and would like to help out, please let me know! If you are hiking and expect to be in the area, please consider attending and sharing your adventure with our local community.

Mountain Dew
01-24-2008, 06:33
Once again Erwins TRUE trail ambassador does something possitive for Erwin... :sun

Ron Haven
01-24-2008, 11:00
The name Miss Janet is Erwin,Tn.As far as the hikers are conserned if they changed the town name, hikers may not remember the name Erwin but the Name Miss Janet is a Cornerstone for that area.

jettjames
01-24-2008, 19:28
yea! miss janet rocks! always!

pt

ps - so do you ron!

Mountain Dew
01-25-2008, 05:17
Just as Ron Haven is beginning to be synonamous with Franklin..... Ron Haven... A true character along the A.T. .... pure greatness as far as I'm concerned.

maxNcathy
01-25-2008, 09:41
I am very grateful to Janet and Ron ..and every business, hostel,outfitter,shuttleperson,trail maintenance person, and the angels who lovingly provide trail magic.

No wonder the AT is used and loved by so many.

Sandalwood

Tennessee Viking
01-26-2008, 02:32
Miss Janet whats the info on the Rocky Fork area. My only knowledge of it is only seeing it from Flint Gap on the AT, and from the forest gate on Rocky Fork Road. I was considering on hiking the forest roads through there. But when I saw all the forestry signs at the gate, and it said no parking, I just went up the road to Devils Fork Gap.

What is the Rocky Fork Crew?

Miss Janet
01-26-2008, 03:01
Miss Janet whats the info on the Rocky Fork area. My only knowledge of it is only seeing it from Flint Gap on the AT, and from the forest gate on Rocky Fork Road. I was considering on hiking the forest roads through there. But when I saw all the forestry signs at the gate, and it said no parking, I just went up the road to Devils Fork Gap.

What is the Rocky Fork Crew?

http://www.saverockyfork.org/
http://leaveitwild.org/news/daily_clips/505

I have friends that have been working on this project for a long time. Some for many years. But the project has not been without some big controversy with some of our local people.

http://www.vbbeacon.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/08/16/46c47147c9a55?in_archive=1

The closing date for the sale is mid Feb. Then the REAL work will begin as we learn to live with the advantages and disadvantages of being nearly 54% federally held land. I have long been an advocate for developing tourism in Unicoi County and I think that the people on both sides of this issue want the best for a place and the people they love. We will eventually come together...

I really don't know what "The Rocky Fork Crew" is though...

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 11:46
WOW... I live in Tennessee but would never have known about this conservation project if you had not posted it, Miss Janet. Thanks!

I'll write the elected officials involved, to support purchasing and conserving the Rocky Fork!

Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
01-26-2008, 18:30
Dang...thats horrible thing to do; turn a nice piece of wilderness into a resort. We definitely do not want another Wolf Laurel or Black Mountain.

Where is this group planning to develop this so-called resort exactly?

Miss Janet
01-26-2008, 18:34
Those links were just example of some of the things that have been discussed.

At this point there are no development plans that include a resort.

HighTech
01-28-2008, 20:43
Miss Janet,

How are you? I just saw this post, and I'm gonna do my best to get out there on the 5th and help out. Hope your doing well.

HighTech (GA->ME 06)

Miss Janet
01-28-2008, 20:45
Thanks!

Miss Janet
02-03-2008, 22:59
I am slowly starting to get the word out about the summit.
I have heard from a few people and things are coming together nice.

I hope some of you more local will plan to attend. We need a Whiteblaze booth. Seriously... who would attend, set up a computer, and show people the Whiteblaze website (and other online resources, as well) as they gather information from different organizations. It is valuable information from a tourism development standpoint. Just realizing the size of the website, the scope of information available and the amount of traffic it sees... I am sure alot of business people and individuals in the area would be surprised that there is such a site devoted "mostly" to hiking related topics. Learning this could be helpful to those interested in hiking and outdoor related businesses.