PDA

View Full Version : NOBO/SOBO which is eaiser?

jesse
01-24-2008, 13:01
This question came up on the Karl Meltzer speed hike thread, instead of seeing that thread get hijacked, I thought a new thread would be in order. I have not hiked the trail, so I can't say for certain, but I wouldn't think it would matter. What say you?

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 13:04
A "traditional" SOBO backpacking thru-hike is tougher mentally and physically than a NOBO thru-hike for sure

Bob S
01-24-2008, 13:23
A "traditional" SOBO backpacking thru-hike is tougher mentally and physically than a NOBO thru-hike for sure

Why? ......

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 13:26
Why? ......

pretty much cuz i say so. i've done both and it's my observation

Marta
01-24-2008, 13:37
I've only done the SOBO hike but the three things that make it harder than NOBO, IMO are:
*fewer fellow travellers, more alone time. (This can be a good thing, but there's a lot less of a support group around you, especially if you are, like me, not in the normal demographic for such a group as there is.)
*the terrain in Maine is a bugger for the unfit, while Georgia, NC, and TN are just walking
*the onset of fall brings short days and long nights, which is depressing, especially if you're alone

There are definitely good points about going SOBO, and if I were to plan another AT hike, I'd either go SOBO or do an early NOBO, to avoid the hot summer weather, ticks, and most of the skeeters.

JAK
01-24-2008, 13:43
I think SOBO would be easier mentally if you haven't done it before and are not from the South, 'cause you can be driven along by your curiousity. Here's hoping anyway. When I am hiking or driving in the direction of home I'm more likely to reach the point where I just want to get there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 13:47
Strictly from having read many journals, I feel a SOBO hike is harder because of the reasons mentioned by Marta, the absence of the organized 'Magic' and lack of some services open to NOBO hikers.

Marta
01-24-2008, 13:52
Strictly from having read many journals, I feel a SOBO hike is harder because of the reasons mentioned by Marta, the absence of the organized 'Magic' and lack of some services open to NOBO hikers.

I'd forgotten about those two things.

I did benefit from some things not available to NOBOs. After NH there was no competition for shelter space, or hostel space at the hostels that were still open. Ishmael hosts SOBOs in Boiling Springs. It was an honor and a privilege to spend time with him.

UCONNMike
01-24-2008, 14:34
pretty much cuz i say so. i've done both and it's my observation

I'll accept that as 100% fact.

SOBO!

Jim Adams
01-24-2008, 14:44
NOBO is much easier. unless you leave extremely early or late you always have friends and services around you.
i don't agree with the hiking being harder. new england is definitely alot harder hiking than the south BUT first 100 miles to first 100 miles i would rather hike SOBO anyday...georgia will kick your ass when first starting out. at least by the time you get to the mahoosics you have a few weeks under your belt.

geek

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 14:47
dude. georgia ain't tough. nice, easy graded trails

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 14:54
dude. georgia ain't tough. nice, easy graded trails

ya really. and the southern part of the 100 MW is no joke, white cap mountain among other big climbs

Jim Adams
01-24-2008, 14:55
ya really. and the southern part of the 100 MW is no joke, white cap mountain among other big climbs

whitecap is the only big climb there!
geek

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 14:56
compared to what big climbs in Georgia? Blood Mountain? Please.

A-Train
01-24-2008, 14:57
geek

Really? Barren-Chairback range almost did me in and I had 2000+ miles in my legs

Blissful
01-24-2008, 14:59
Absolutely a SOBO would be more difficult. No outfitter to greet you on day 4 with all your heavy stuff you want to get rid of. Having to climb Katahdin then back down again (no easy task). The tough terrain in southern Maine and the Whites when you don't have your trail legs. The bugs. Fewer options for hostels and recuperating early on when you need it. My hat's off to those who completed a SOBO - it had to be tough.

Blue Jay
01-24-2008, 15:00
The only real difference is The Big K is higher than Springer so there is a few hundred feet of net elevation difference, period. This is like the old "Back in my day we walked to school, and it was up hill both ways'.

Blissful
Really? Barren-Chairback range almost did me in and I had 2000+ miles in my legs

I was just going to say that. I did a 20 through there and man it was awful.

A-Train
compared to what big climbs in Georgia? Blood Mountain? Please.

GA ain't bad but the stretch between Unicoi and the NC border is tough, lots of ups and downs. You probably didn't notice since you were in great shape by that point.

RITBlake
01-24-2008, 15:04
You probably didn't notice since you were in great shape by that point.

100% correct.

Nean
01-24-2008, 15:05
Well I've done both and I SAY SoBo is easier!!!:eek:
Why? Well..... Mostly just to disagree with LW!:D
Then again, I was younger as a sobo.:-?

Jim Adams
01-24-2008, 15:06
Absolutely a SOBO would be more difficult. No outfitter to greet you on day 4 with all your heavy stuff you want to get rid of. Having to climb Katahdin then back down again (no easy task). The tough terrain in southern Maine and the Whites when you don't have your trail legs. The bugs. Fewer options for hostels and recuperating early on when you need it. My hat's off to those who completed a SOBO - it had to be tough.

true...but outside of the climb on Katahdin (very difficult) you have been walking on fairly flat terrain for those 4 days.

geek

ChinMusic
01-24-2008, 15:08
I think a SOBO is harder for the average hiker. You are thrown into the difficult sections before you reach thru-fitness.

I think a NOBO is harder for a speed record. You are already fit and don't need a break-in period. It becomes a matter of the body breaking down. The ultra-NOBO will be physically beat up by the time he/she gets to the Whites.

Johnny Swank
01-24-2008, 15:09
The only real difference is The Big K is higher than Springer so there is a few hundred feet of net elevation difference, period. This is like the old "Back in my day we walked to school, and it was up hill both ways'.

What are you talking about? Do people routinely just carry day packs up Springer because they're climbing up rebar ladders drilled into the mtn, like say, Katahdin?

The largest vertical gain of the entire trail a SOBO's first day of hiking. Add to that, that there's no real outfitter to send home/change out gear in Maine unless you get way off the trail. Less daylight overall, blackflies, etc, etc. It's no contest in my eyes.

I section-hiked Georgia a few years before thru-hiking SOBO. Yes, GA/TN/NC can be a pain in places, but overall I thought Maine was much more difficult.

A-Train
01-24-2008, 15:34
Mostly to play devil's advocate, A SOBO isn't much harder than a NOBO as some claim because:

You're first month is going to be really difficult no matter what. You've got to adjust to trail life and either way, it's not a seamless transition for most. Besides the few who are super fit, the break in period physcially will be hard either way. BUT, considering your first month will be hard EITHER way, SOBO is then a piece of cake the rest of the way and becomes a mental challenge to Springer. The NOBO has both a difficult first AND last month because they still need to do the Whites/Maine. Might as well combine getting in shape with the hardest terrain as life is gonna be rough anyway.

Anyone buy that one?:)

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 15:51
SOBO on the LT is much more difficult too.

Nean
01-24-2008, 15:58
SOBO on the LT is much more difficult too.

Why? :confused::D;)

JERMM
01-24-2008, 16:40
Why? :confused::D;)

Cuz LW said so

Nean
01-24-2008, 16:44
Cuz LW said so

OH YEAH, weeelll I've done it both ways and I say, yada, yada, yada:D

dessertrat
01-24-2008, 16:44
Because of the bugs.

Grampie
01-24-2008, 16:52
While on my thru in Maine all I could think of was how hard this would be to do in the spring/early summer. So much water, a lot of walking in it and the trail is a lot more rugged in Main than Georgia. I had to ford several rivers in Maine and none in Georgia.

The Old Fhart
01-24-2008, 16:59
Lone Wolf-"SOBO on the LT is much more difficult too."The upper third of the LT is really tough. Once you hit Appalachian Gap (RT-17) heading south, the trail gets much easier.

Marta
01-24-2008, 17:03
The upper third of the LT is really tough. Once you hit Appalachian Gap (RT-17) heading south, the trail gets much easier.

...which is why I'll never be hiking the Long Trail...

warraghiyagey
01-24-2008, 17:07
Cuz LW said so
Good enough for me. I've only thought him to be wrong once (everyone fording the Kennebec) other than that the man's right on the money. I just wish I was funnier than him.:mad:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 17:41
I just wish I was funnier than him.:mad:Send me a few photos and I'll make it so :D

Kirby
01-24-2008, 17:48

geek

The first 15 miles are the toughest in the whole wilderness, mentally speaking, and the terrain can be annoying. The climb up whitecap is fairly easy, the chairback range took its toll one me, that was a very long day.

Kirby

hammock engineer
01-24-2008, 18:40
What are you talking about? Do people routinely just carry day packs up Springer because they're climbing up rebar ladders drilled into the mtn, like say, Katahdin?

The largest vertical gain of the entire trail a SOBO's first day of hiking. Add to that, that there's no real outfitter to send home/change out gear in Maine unless you get way off the trail. Less daylight overall, blackflies, etc, etc. It's no contest in my eyes.

I section-hiked Georgia a few years before thru-hiking SOBO. Yes, GA/TN/NC can be a pain in places, but overall I thought Maine was much more difficult.

What's what I said when I read it. I seriously doubt he was ever been to Big K. Come to think about it people call it Big K for short, no one talks about the big S. No forest service road taking you to the top of Katadin.

Plus face it there is dirt in the south.

hammock engineer
01-24-2008, 18:47

I actually like the fact that there was no organized magic/charity. I think I saw a cooler at the 2k (for the northbounder but I took some anyways), some out of hanover (again for northbounders, still took some), the sodas in the stream in VT that are there every year, a cooler south of dalton (again with note for northbounders, took one even though I was slacking back), and some randon things left in shelters in NJ. I started calling them bear treasure chests because there was usually something left in them.

From what I hear of the crowds and crazyness of northbound season it seems less like a nature walk and more like a roaming race and party. Plus what Marta said I shared a shelter 6 times with people I was not hiking with between Troutdale, VA and Springer. About 2 months worth of nights.

My hiking partner and I did decide though to pack in some food/beverages to a southbounder or 2 that are going slow and still on the trail after Christmas next year.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2008, 19:07
...From what I hear of the crowds and crazyness of northbound season it seems less like a nature walk and more like a roaming race and party...
That pretty much sums it up.