PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Tent Info.

Rowdy Yates
01-24-2008, 14:30
:confused: I am looking at two separate LW tents; one is the Mountain Hardwear Waypoint 1 single wall, the other is the MontBell Monoframe Diamond Tent, which one is the question. Both weigh almost the same. What experience have any of you had with either of these on The A.T? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Captn
01-24-2008, 16:25
:confused: I am looking at two separate LW tents; one is the Mountain Hardwear Waypoint 1 single wall, the other is the MontBell Monoframe Diamond Tent, which one is the question. Both weigh almost the same. What experience have any of you had with either of these on The A.T? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Montbell has the same problem that most double wall shelters do in high humidity .... condensation.

I don't know about the Mnt Hrdwr.

Question ... Gossamer Gear is coming out with a new 16 oz tent. Their stuff is high quality. Tarptent has some great LW tents and sixmoonsdesigns has the wild oasis at 13 oz. All are priced similar to the ones that you are looking at.

Any reason you're not looking at an ultralight shelter? It seems to me that you'll be spending the bulk of your nights in shelters. My last AT section hike I used a Gatewood cape and some bug netting for the two nights I spent out of a shelter, and the bug netting was great in the shelter as well.

Just a thought ....

stranger
01-24-2008, 20:00
I would advise against the Waypoint 1 not because of condensation, because you will get that in any tent single or double wall, but because of the poor design in terms of dealing with condensation.

When the Waypoint collects condensation and it starts to roll down the wall, it will eventually drip down onto your floor. Other single wall tent companies have addressed this by having a gap or vent in which the condensation drips outside, like a standard double wall tent, this includes Tarptent and MSR.

Mountain Hardware has upgraded the ventilation on the Waypoint and it's now called the Skypoint, and it's much better in terms of ventilation in my opinion, but I've never used it just played around with it in the shop.

However...if you want a Waypoint you can have mine for the cost of shipping from New Zealand, probably about $30. It's damn near new and I don't use it anymore.

Captn
01-25-2008, 14:54
According to Backpacker Mag ... Tarp tent is comeing out with a new tent called the sublight .... 16 oz single wall.