PDA

View Full Version : Smokies, 2nd week of March

mts4602
01-24-2008, 15:21
I'd like to do the AT in the Smokies during my spring break which is the 2nd week of march. I've done trips before but never on the AT. I'd be interested in doing all or part the Smokies.

If anyone thinks they might be interested in this just let me know. The biggest thing for me would be convincing my parents that it's ok for me to go with someone I don't know..but I think it's better than me going alone.

Matt

sansancc
01-24-2008, 19:29
I live here in the Smokies, I was planning on going around the same time. On a 6 day trip. I would like to get some people together and go.

Nest
01-24-2008, 19:38
I think you will be around a whole lot oh thru hikers. The giant mob that seems to be starting on the first will be there right about then.

take-a-knee
01-24-2008, 23:35
I think you will be around a whole lot oh thru hikers. The giant mob that seems to be starting on the first will be there right about then.

Then do the BMT.

mts4602
01-25-2008, 01:13
Hey Sansancc, we talked about this a little while ago.

What were you planning on doing?

Cerberus is probably right, the AT in the Smokies would probably be filled with thru hikers at about that time...I would still be open to it, but the BMT is definitly another good option.

I am up for possibly 6 to 7 days from March 9th to the 15th. Something around then would be good.

Nest
01-25-2008, 01:24
Hey Sansancc, we talked about this a little while ago.

What were you planning on doing?

Cerberus is probably right, the AT in the Smokies would probably be filled with thru hikers at about that time...I would still be open to it, but the BMT is definitly another good option.

I am up for possibly 6 to 7 days from March 9th to the 15th. Something around then would be good.

Ok, those with actual experice can correct me, but I would think the 9th would be a good time crowd wise. Springer to Fontana takes around 12-15 days to reach. So you should be a couple days ahead of the major flow of thru hikers. Still may be a little crowd though. Just from reading everyones start dates it doesn't seem like the last week of Feb is nearly as popular a start date as March 1.

mts4602
01-25-2008, 13:50
Ok, those with actual experice can correct me, but I would think the 9th would be a good time crowd wise. Springer to Fontana takes around 12-15 days to reach. So you should be a couple days ahead of the major flow of thru hikers. Still may be a little crowd though. Just from reading everyones start dates it doesn't seem like the last week of Feb is nearly as popular a start date as March 1.

Well that's good b/c I'd really like to do the AT.

sansancc
01-25-2008, 16:10
I don't mind a small crowd. If you want we could hook up for a few day trips so your parents are not freakin out. Let me know whats going on and if you want to get together sometime.

Sansan