PDA

View Full Version : Legs, Underarms, Eyebrows, Oh My!

Miu
01-24-2008, 19:34
Ladies, I'm curious--do you feel constrained to keep shaving/plucking while on a long hike?

-SEEKER-
01-24-2008, 19:49
No. I practiced last year at home doing without. It seems to be about like guys describe growing their beards. Itchy at first . Then as the hair gets longer it isn't a problem.

AlwaysHiking
01-24-2008, 20:15
I do take a disposable bic razor with me. I leave about an inch of the handle and break the rest off. I just personally don't like having hairy legs. Since I take it anyhow, I also keep up with my underarms. I don't do anything with the brows though. I do shave less often on the trail than I do at home.

The disposable razor has multiple uses for me though, I hike with my dog so need that in case he has an injury I would have to shave fur away from. Luckily I've never had to put it to that use, but if I didn't already have it for that reason I'm not really sure if I'd still carry it or not.

ATbound
01-24-2008, 20:17
I'll definitly pluck my eyebrows (I still want to look good in my pictures :)) but the underarms and legs- let it fly! I'll be carrying tweezers for ticks anyway, so might as well keep the brows looking good too! Happy hiking- only 5 weeks to go!!!!

gumball
01-24-2008, 20:22
I pluck when I can. Drives me nuts. Shaving, not so much--but I do take a razor, just in case I get the urge.

Gaiter
01-24-2008, 21:08
in the summer i like wearing a sleeveless shirt, so i definitely shave, cooler/colder times only worry about shaving when in town
one of the first things i've done after both my long sections was get my eyebrows waxed

Marta
01-24-2008, 21:11
It's a seasonal thing--more shaving in summer; less in winter. I carry tweezers anyway in my mini SAK, and a camping mirror (doubles as signal device and dirt-from-eye-removal aid), and a disposable razor.

Blissful
01-24-2008, 21:24
Ladies, I'm curious--do you feel constrained to keep shaving/plucking while on a long hike?

Nope. I put a razor in my bounce box but never used it.

In July when we got off the trail for my ankle and went to the beach for a few days, I broke down and shaved (my hubby really wanted me to. I wouldn't have cared). But grew it back when I got back on the trail. Trademarks of the AT.

Now of course I'm back to civilization.

Hitch
01-24-2008, 21:36
Pluck and shave on my days off in town. I carry tweezers for ticks and buy a cheap disposable while in town.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 22:06
Here is an old (and somewhat funny) thread about this topic (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11616)

Cuffs
01-24-2008, 22:28
I can forget the shaving of both arms and legs, but I have to tweeze the brows!

Marta
01-24-2008, 22:50
If you do decide to shave, be careful about shaving in areas that might chafe. Any sort of stubble in armpits or groin can be very painful.

I started with a sleeveless shirt and ended up switching for a short-sleeved shirt in Monson because of the chafing of skin on skin under my arms.

Cindy from Indy
01-25-2008, 08:59
You mean there won't be a spa for me to go to for my eyebrows?? OMG!:eek:

I gotta shave my pits--cuts down on odor and I just feel cleaner. As for legs...............I haven't decided yet. But, since I've got the razor for the pits, I might as well do the legs too. LOL

I've heard about ladies having a waxing job done on legs and pits and then it's quite awhile before the need to shave comes up again.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 11:20
Alcohol gel applied to the pits daily takes care of much of the odor problem for both me and He-Dino (who does not shave his pits :D)

On longer hikes, I've carried a bit of 'Magic Powder' - a product sold for men in the shaving section. It is a powdered depilatory (mix with water, use like Nair) and works well enough to keep me from getting nabbed as an escaped gorilla... I have lots of body hair and it is very dark.... It also works on the 'lady place' for those who prefer to keep that area hair-free as well (some feel it makes staying clean easier)

Roots
01-25-2008, 11:40
Alcohol gel applied to the pits daily takes care of much of the odor problem for both me and He-Dino (who does not shave his pits :D)

On longer hikes, I've carried a bit of 'Magic Powder' - a product sold for men in the shaving section. It is a powdered depilatory (mix with water, use like Nair) and works well enough to keep me from getting nabbed as an escaped gorilla... I have lots of body hair and it is very dark.... It also works on the 'lady place' for those who prefer to keep that area hair-free as well (some feel it makes staying clean easier)

Hey FD, I wanted to tell you thank you for the alcohol under the arms idea. I am definitely trying that one. I will use an alcohol wipe on my face when backpacking to keep the oils down. I break out easy. It works very well. The idea of doing it under the arms never occured to me until you threaded about it on the deoderant thread a little while back. Thanks!!:)

Marta
01-25-2008, 11:44
Hey FD, I wanted to tell you thank you for the alcohol under the arms idea. I am definitely trying that one.

But not right after you shave...;)

Roots
01-25-2008, 11:51
But not right after you shave...;)
OOOO...OUCH!:eek: GOOD ONE!!! I'll definitely keep that in mind.;)

Tilly
01-25-2008, 11:55
I have to say that I don't shave at all. Ever.

Mrs Baggins
01-26-2008, 09:35
I had no problem letting the legs and pits go, but the brows.........:eek: I would naturally have very heavy eyebrows (and I'm blonde) that would form up into a unibrow if I let them go, and probably hang down into my eyes! Another issue for me is my bangs (or "fringe" for our UK friends). My hair grows very fast and my bangs are in my face in no time. Unfortunately I have a very high forehead and hate having my hair pulled off of it. I used a teeny pair of scissors to try to keep them trimmed up.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 13:44

Being a redhead, I'm blessed with blonde hair on my legs and underarms. I rarely shave unless those areas are seen. I should have been born in Europe where these things are a non-issue.

quasarr
01-27-2008, 15:04

it makes me so happy to read that! I hate that women have all these ridiculous rules to follow. I don't shave my legs ever, but I occasionally give in and do my pits if I'm going swimming. :mad:

I hope someday I'll be brave enough to do away with shaving under any circumstances. I definitely won't shave on the Trail! If you go a while without, the hair on you legs gets softer and no longer prickels.

Red Hat
01-27-2008, 18:49
i If you go a while without, the hair on you legs gets softer and no longer prickels.

Actually, if you wait a while, a long while, the hair eventually goes away as you age....

sourwood
01-27-2008, 21:06
I've noticed that disappearing hair thing too. Haven't shaved pits or legs since my wedding day over 20 years ago. I have practically no underarm hair and not too much on my legs. Isn't that sweet?

Julie

Honey Dew
01-28-2008, 16:04
[quote=quasarr;513979]it makes me so happy to read that! I hate that women have all these ridiculous rules to follow. quote]

I don't know that it's so much ridiculous rules to follow as a woman...but what each woman does to FEEL like a woman. We all have our preferences. I don't think I could go without shaving. Just my preference. :-?

Purple
01-30-2008, 16:24
Actually, if you wait a while, a long while, the hair eventually goes away as you age....
My MAMA never told me anything about stuff that happens when you grow "old-er". But when my granddaughter decided to do a "mohawk" (the bikini stlye) I told her that if she does that now, when she gets old-er, she will have no hair at all. When I told her it starts to migrate south when you near age 50 (maybe younger for some) She said "Grandma! That's gross!". If she only knew ... right ladies?? For you youngn's out there the older you get the less you have all over which is a blessing, except on your head. When men turn grey or bald they are "distinguished" (IMPO it's sexy) but when women do it's just plain OLD! Thats why we have to work so hard to keep them (men) interested.

As far as the reason we have pubic hair ...... could you imagine the pain of bones colliding and friction burn if there weren't "padding" when ....... can I say that here?

I've seen some of the pictures of where some ladies wear their hip belts .... they better be glad they have "padding"

quasarr
01-30-2008, 17:41
I don't know that it's so much ridiculous rules to follow as a woman...but what each woman does to FEEL like a woman. We all have our preferences. I don't think I could go without shaving. Just my preference. :-?

I guess I'm referring to the standards of good grooming, which I think are unreasonably harsh for women. Of course men have standards too, for example it's not OK for men to have bad breath. But women have to do so much more! It's perfectly acceptable for a man to have a beard, but if a woman has hairy legs (or god forbid - armpits) she's "gross."

If you shave because you like to and it makes you happy, then good for you! What I disagree with is when women shave for fear of breaking the rules.

Honey Dew
01-31-2008, 01:51
I guess I'm referring to the standards of good grooming, which I think are unreasonably harsh for women. Of course men have standards too, for example it's not OK for men to have bad breath. But women have to do so much more! It's perfectly acceptable for a man to have a beard, but if a woman has hairy legs (or god forbid - armpits) she's "gross."

If you shave because you like to and it makes you happy, then good for you! What I disagree with is when women shave for fear of breaking the rules.

Understood and I totally agree!

Purple
01-31-2008, 03:12
Not meaning to really gross anyone out:eek:, but ladies please .... if you shave in public restrooms (mostly State Park campgrounds), do not leave your trimmings in the sink or on the shower floor. There is nothing more gross than to go to wash your hands or take a shower and find little curlies[really gross] or stubbles on the faucets or around the drain. We are not men we do know HOW to clean up after yourself. Put on your glasses if you have to [I do] can't see my own face without them. Thanks

Pennsylvania Rose
01-31-2008, 12:01

Gotta agree with you! Sometimes I shave, sometimes I go for months without - it just depends on how I'm feeling at the time. When I'm hiking the hair helps hide my dirty knees. :) Although, I tend to feel cleaner in the summer without hairy pits. My girls have their own opinions about shaving - my 14 yo is obsessive, but my 15 yo has yet to shave. Wish my 16 yo son would shave the scruff off his chin! It looks like an abandoned rat's nest.

Occasionally I'll "deforest" (love that, FD!), but just as a treat for my hubby. I can't stand the itching when it grows back. I've never plucked my eyebrows, although beauty "experts" would probably be disgusted by my brows.

So if you feel better shaving take a disposable razor, or put one in your bounce box. Pluck your brows if you want - you probably carry tweezers anyway. If not, being hairy is perfectly OK.

The Weasel
01-31-2008, 12:33
We are not men we do know HOW to clean up after yourself. Put on your glasses if you have to [I do] can't see my own face without them. Thanks

As an aside from a guy, a lot of the showers and bathrooms you'll use (especially, but not just, at hostels) are communal/shared/unisex, and if a guy is cleaning up, it means he has at least some sense of cleanliness. Everyone should try to clean up the room after using it. :)

TW

Miu
01-31-2008, 21:00

I haven't shaved my legs for a few weeks, and the hair is starting to get long (hey, it's WINTER!). Last night I convinced my boyfriend to put some lotion on my legs for me and he kept giving me dirty grossed out looks every time his hands went against the grain. He kept saying, "I feel like I'm rubbing a guy's legs! Ew!" It was really entertaining. For me. :p

Frau
01-31-2008, 21:18
I am dark blonde going gray and have always have darker hair in the areas to be shaved or hidden. When we hike and camp I don't bother with a razor since I completely ignored the disposable razor on my first long trip into WV. I have very light brows so they are a non-issue.

Seems like this really depends on personal taste. I stopped shaving my legs in 1968 after spending time in Germany. Hairy legs are normal for me, can't go too terribly long with hairy pits, though.

Frau

Mad Hatter 08
02-04-2008, 12:44
Not meaning to really gross anyone out:eek:, but ladies please .... if you shave in public restrooms (mostly State Park campgrounds), do not leave your trimmings in the sink or on the shower floor. There is nothing more gross than to go to wash your hands or take a shower and find little curlies[really gross] or stubbles on the faucets or around the drain. We are not men we do know HOW to clean up after yourself. Put on your glasses if you have to [I do] can't see my own face without them. Thanks

You know it is really sad how women behave in public restrooms. I've worked jobs where I have had to clean both and the women's room is always at least five times worse then the mens rooms. Also a note there was a study on handwashing after using public restrooms and women were worse then men when it came to washing their hands after using the bathroom.

Penne
02-04-2008, 16:29
I liked to shave my legs in town. It always made it easier to wash drit off while in the woods. Also, I didn't feel like my legs were really clean until after I shaved them because not only would there be hair in the blades, but grimy dead skin cells. I also shaved my underarms. As for the eyebrows, I've never plucked them, and I like them the way they are.

Farr Away
02-04-2008, 18:26
You know it is really sad how women behave in public restrooms. I've worked jobs where I have had to clean both and the women's room is always at least five times worse then the mens rooms. Also a note there was a study on handwashing after using public restrooms and women were worse then men when it came to washing their hands after using the bathroom.

I'd disagree with this. The mens' bathroom was always much worse than the womens'. We regularly had to just hose the whole thing down.

Back on topic, I don't do anything for my eyebrows; the hair on my legs is fairly light so I often let that go (especially in winter), but the underarm hair _has_ to be shaved just about every day. Yuck.

tina.anderson
02-07-2008, 17:59
I don't have to do anything for my eyebrows, legs or underarms every day. My body hair grows very slowly, so I am fortunate in that respect.

wtmntcaretaker
02-07-2008, 18:05

Here Here I second the motion!:D

arasjane
02-25-2008, 13:16

I only shave when I am going to the beach that day, I get annoyed trying to keep up on a daily basis with the whole shaving thing. I always wear long skirts(having a hippy heart). So who cares what my legs look like. Right.

Spottzie
03-02-2008, 18:19
In the "real world" I shave my legs once a week and pits everyday. The other area... just depends! DBF and I are each packing disposable razors in our mail drops. I know, 7 years together and we still can't share. I guess I will just shave when I'm showering in town and throw that razor out.

LittleMsGoody2Shoes
03-02-2008, 18:39

I can attest to this as well. As I've gotten older, I've had to shave less often... generally only once or twice a week at the most. And I never have to shave the upper legs anymore. I don't do the eyebrow thing, as I like mine the way they are, but I'd probably take along a disposable razor for weekly grooming, especially if I were hiking with a partner ;)... maybe not if I were hiking alone. :rolleyes: I'd have to think about the pros and cons first :-?

Margaret L
10-02-2011, 16:55

True, but unfortunately, while the hair on my legs is diminishing, I keep getting more on my chin. Ugh! That MUST be plucked, and with my near-vision fading, I'll have to carry a super-magnifying tweezing mirror. Menopause & beyond is not for sissies.

-SEEKER-
10-02-2011, 20:00
Don't bother with plucking chin hairs just shave them.

Margaret L
10-03-2011, 07:56
Don't bother with plucking chin hairs just shave them.

Hmm ... certainly would be much faster.

Blissful
10-03-2011, 12:54
They just grow back

trails148
10-03-2011, 15:44
Good information ladies! Thank you

AmandaBroun
10-13-2011, 11:00

I really have to second the recommendation for the Magic Shaving Powder! It works better than any of the women's Nair/otherbrand products for me, and doesn't irritate my skin. I've never had occasion to use it on a hike, but it's become a must-have for me, especially in the summer. Nothing worse than trying to have a good time on the lake with a bunch of angry razor burn in your bikini. lol.

mdp9
11-10-2011, 17:21
I'm actually kind of intrigued to see how long my leg hair will get.....!

texas&fla
11-11-2011, 20:59
Ladies, do be careful with the razors. Do NOT reuse them. For years, I had got a couple of shaves out of a disposable. then this year, i got a horrible case of cellulitus, right before going to Africa for a safari and a mountain trek. It could have been fatal if not treated. My doc told me it was from the razor being used twice and then I nicked myself with it. She told me that she sees it a lot. She said if using a razor...no using it more than once (especially when shaving armpits..they are more sensitive) and put antibiotic ointment on your pits after shaving.

I had probably gotten a tiny tiny nick and gotten an infection. I just happened to get it really bad b/c I got a sunburn a couple of days after the nick and that weakened my immune system. Just all around bad luck. Now of course I am terrified to even use a razor on my pits...went to nair.... still use a razor on my legs.

seeing as how days fo hiking can be quite sweatier than normal days, ....we need to be careful.

C Seeker
11-21-2011, 21:26
I didn't shave when I was on my AT hike this year nor worried about my eye brows as I never looked at myself in a mirror and didn't care what I looked like. I always told the guys if they didn't like it then they didn't have to look, and I never ran into a guy who said anything about. I did have to shave and wax when I got off trail for a wedding, but if I didn't have that then it would have stayed. It is also keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, so why not keep it- one less thing to worry about.

C Seeker
11-21-2011, 21:26
I didn't shave when I was on my AT hike this year nor worried about my eye brows as I never looked at myself in a mirror and didn't care what I looked like. I always told the guys if they didn't like it then they didn't have to look, and I never ran into a guy who said anything about. I did have to shave and wax when I got off trail for a wedding, but if I didn't have that then it would have stayed. It is also keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, so why not keep it- one less thing to worry about. <BR>

Echraide
11-21-2011, 23:18
I didn't know anyone was concerned about this on a thruhike. I consider long distance hikes to be a wonderful release from things like makeup, shaving, etc.

foreversuperawesome
01-31-2013, 23:59
I always carry a small cheap bic razor with me for those days i'm becoming a sasquatch. Eyebrows is the least of my concerns, and I often wear pants anyway.

Mariposa2014
01-14-2014, 12:10
I was on the swim team in high school and college, and we were not allowed to shave from Dec. to Feb. As a white Latina, I have pale skin and dark, fast-growing hair, so this was awful for me. On the AT, I will be waxing beforehand and probably I'll stop to wax about halfway through as well. But here's my advice:

(1) When shaving, you typically moisturize afterwards. A lot of the itching is actually because most people forget to put lotion on unless they're shaving. If you're bringing lotion anyway, make sure to keep your hairy legs moisturized and they probably won't itch as much. (This goes for your vaginal region as well!)

(2) Wear leggings instead of shorts. My own legs always grossed me out (especially whenever the wind would blow), so I keep hair legs covered pretty much all the time.

(3) This is more important when wearing pantyhose, but it applies to leggings as well: when you put them on, hike them up and then smooth them back down so that the hair sits in the right direction.

(4) If you're hiking with a romantic partner or you anticipate having sex on the trail, bring knee-high socks. Personally, I'm thru-hiking in part to get away from the douchebags in my life, so I don't really mind grossing all the dudes out. But on the swim team that's basically how we dealt with it.

Different Socks
01-15-2014, 10:54
I do take a disposable bic razor with me. I leave about an inch of the handle and break the rest off. I just personally don't like having hairy legs. Since I take it anyhow, I also keep up with my underarms. I don't do anything with the brows though. I do shave less often on the trail than I do at home.

The disposable razor has multiple uses for me though, I hike with my dog so need that in case he has an injury I would have to shave fur away from. Luckily I've never had to put it to that use, but if I didn't already have it for that reason I'm not really sure if I'd still carry it or not.

Pardon me for asking, but why do you break off the handle? The razor weighs an ounce or less to begin with.

AliciaG
02-04-2014, 21:03
Nah, definitely forget about the aesthetic things on long hikes. although I have light eyebrows so that is never an issue for me. You can bring a little mirror and tweezers and do it on the go though no problem.