PDA

View Full Version : Weather in the North and layering???

jcornel
01-24-2008, 19:55
Hey everyone. I am planning a thru hike that is going to begin the 2nd week of May, and have been recently rounding up the last pieces of gear I will need. While I believe I have most of the essentials, I am having a hard time figuring out what clothes to layer for warmth. One of the problems is that I do not know what to expect for the low temps in the north. Being, from texas, I do not know what to expect for early september-early october temperatures which obviously has an effect on the gear i buy. So far I have picked up
1)base layer-smart wool long sleeve
2)base layer-smart wool long underwear
3)insulation-ll bean polartec 200 fleece zip up
3)insulation- rei polartec 200 polyester pants
4)insulation-woolrich longsleeve wool shirt
5)spacecraft clothing custeau beenie

Can anyone tell me what else I may need and what to expect as far as temperature? Also, can past thru-hikers let me know what layers they used for their trek.:sun

ScottP
01-24-2008, 23:01
I wouldn't get too carried away or buy anything else at the moment. Georigia mid-may isn't going to be very cold, and you really have no idea when you'll hit the north.

envirodiver
01-24-2008, 23:41
Make sure that you have a waterproof, breathable outer shell (raingear).

Tinker
01-25-2008, 00:48
Being from the Northeast and having hiked from Conn. to the 100 mi. wilderness, I would recommend a light down jacket for campsite use when you get to New Hampshire. Legs are easier to keep warm than the torso, so I think you're all set with your long johns and a pair of wind pants in New England into early October. Leaving Georgia in May, you probably won't need the long johns, just the top, as far as underwear is concerned, as long as your sleeping bag is warm enough and stays dry.

take-a-knee
01-25-2008, 01:03
I would start with a synthetic vest, a microfleece, running tights, short and long sleeve quick dry shirts (underarmor-okay, Visa endurance-better). I would carry a thin PP balaclava and a light watch cap, PP liner gloves and rain mittens. As you hike north you won't need some of this stuff but it'll probably keep the misery index down a few times.

ScottP
01-25-2008, 04:51
Leaving from Georgia in May I would only take a windbreaker. I wouldn't take anything warm, nor would I take anything waterproof. I wouldn't even take a shirt other than my windbreaker.

To each his own--since you grew in up Texas (I grew up in Michigan/WI and like brisk weather) you might want a longsleeve polypro t-shirt or something.

JAK
01-25-2008, 10:46
Hey everyone. I am planning a thru hike that is going to begin the 2nd week of May, and have been recently rounding up the last pieces of gear I will need. While I believe I have most of the essentials, I am having a hard time figuring out what clothes to layer for warmth. One of the problems is that I do not know what to expect for the low temps in the north. Being, from texas, I do not know what to expect for early september-early october temperatures which obviously has an effect on the gear i buy. So far I have picked up
1)base layer-smart wool long sleeve
2)base layer-smart wool long underwear
3)insulation-ll bean polartec 200 fleece zip up
3)insulation- rei polartec 200 polyester pants
4)insulation-woolrich longsleeve wool shirt
5)spacecraft clothing custeau beenie

Can anyone tell me what else I may need and what to expect as far as temperature? Also, can past thru-hikers let me know what layers they used for their trek.:sunI like your choice of wool. I think you have a pretty good list there. I would suggest the following changes and strategies.

Downgrade the fleece to 100wt, but make the top large enough to go over your wool sweater rather than under it. In fact, you may not need the fleece layers at all, but I would consider bringing them anyway if you think your a bit light on the sleeping bag. Fleece over the wool though, not under, in my opinion. Cheers.

Miu
01-25-2008, 10:49
Are you going Sobo?

JAK
01-25-2008, 10:53
Also, you appear to be relatively underprotected in the bum area, or relatively overprotected in the lower legs depending on how you look at it. You could fix that by making a pair of wool or fleece boxer shorts out of something longer. The other thing you might consider would be to replace the longsleeve wool shirt with a wool vest of the same weight. These changes would move more insulation to your core, while still maintaining sufficient insulation at the extremeties, assuming you have wind layers of course.

Mitts?

JAK
01-25-2008, 11:01
SOBO would be different. Sorry about that. Thicker layers for Maine in May.
Wicked rain layer also of course. Same idea though.

Not sure how cold it gets but I am in New Brunswick and I understand Maine and the Whites would be colder than here at altitude and still have snow in the woods mid May. Short nights though.

JAK
01-25-2008, 11:11
By "still snow in the woods" you should read that as wet and cold and sometimes walking in icewater. Does anyone know how early or late the AT dries out in Maine? Mid May is usually good here, but every week can make quite a difference in Spring. I have hiked the Fundy Footpath May 1st to 4th in rain with snow in the woods and it was pleasant if you keep moving and are into that sort of thing. When the sun does comes out it is very pleasant as the days are long. I'm guessing the extreme 50 year minimum might be 15F but I don't know.