PDA

View Full Version : Sitting here stewing in my own tears...

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2008, 21:17
Well I am sitting here in my bathrobe reading current and past WB post when in reality I should be camped, hanging under a couple of trees near the Wakulla River in the St Mark's NWR.

I head off with Little Bear and Buford on Monday from the Apalachicola NF heading east. By the end of day one my knees were sore. By midday Wednesday I could barely walk and the guys had to help me get off the trail. That is the third hike that has ended due to extreme knee pain. I am beginning to see a pattern here, and it is not one that I like.:mad::(:mad::(:mad:!!!

After a very long walk to the road with a lot of internal dialogue and some discussion with my hiking partners it looks like I will be folding up my hammock and putting it in storage. It is time for me to focus my energy and passion on some new interests.

It will be hard for me to leave the hiking world, I love it, I am obsessed with it, I am a bit addicted to it. Probably good reasons just there to step back a bit.

I have cancelled all my spring and summer hiking plans, about 600-700 miles of un-walked trail.

I already have tickets for my walk across Spain on the Camino de Santiago, so I am hoping that with 7 months of non-stress related activities my knee will feel better and get me through that hike. Thankfully it is a series of day hikes with a light pack. After that I guess I will be looking for a kayak group like this one, however, I doubt I could ever love them as much as I love some of the people on this site........

Well, I'm getting all misty eyed again so I had better sign off before I really start blabbering... sniff..sniff:(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 21:22
::: Dino wraps a loving tail around a very dear lady and sheds some tears of her own :( :::

peanuts
01-24-2008, 21:22
hh, say it isn't so..... have you checked with an ortho/sport med doc???

Blissful
01-24-2008, 21:26
I'm SO sorry to hear this!!!

Agree, maybe it's time for a good sports doc to take a look. And one sympathetic to what you want to do in life and is motivated. Very important.

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2008, 21:36
I went to a sports ortho, actually 2 and my primary after leaving the GET last summer. Both of the ortho docs pretty much told me to STOP hiking!!! I told them that it wasn't possible and they said your knees are trying to tell you something. One told me that the knees he was looking at in the x rays were 15 years older then I am and deteriorating fast. Unfortunately I am not yet eligible for knee replacement.

My primary doc thought that I was suffering with some tendinitis as well as the arthritis and possibly some nerve damage. She put me in a PT program and told me I should not hike for at least a year and then return to it very slowly and never as vigorously as I have been.

I continued to ignore them and each time I return to the trail the pain comes harder and faster. It also stops hurting slower and slower.

I'm not much of a day hiker, just not the adventure that gets my heart pumping. I appreciate your kind words and shared tears. I'm just being a little melancholy right now... SPLASH!!! Hey Dino, careful you'll drowned me. :) (See you made me smile!! TXS.)

Alligator
01-24-2008, 21:42
Sorry to hear the bad news HH, that's a pretty tough diagnosis. You are a very accomplished hiker, I was sorry to hear that you had to get off the GET.

Maybe there's a canoe or a sea kayak in your future!

Lilred
01-24-2008, 21:43
This sucks, I'm so sorry. I know we've never met but I hate this to happen to any hiker. Good luck and remember, when a door is closed, a window is opened. You don't have to give up the outdoors, kayaking?? I've often thought of what I would do if I couldn't hike anymore and kayaking or taking a horse in the back country are two options I would look into. Good luck.

Smile
01-24-2008, 21:51
Hang in there, hopefully the time off will heal you :)

Peace and positivity, along with a cyberhug sent your way tonight!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 21:56
Sue, I hope you will continue to be a part of the hiking community regardless of what sport you decide to pursue. you are one of us and nothing can change that. I can't hike like I used to either, but try to run me off....
SPLASH Hope you've got a kayak handy :D

oldfivetango
01-24-2008, 22:03
For what it is worth-I am doing some enzymes called Lifezymes and
also doing the gin soaked white(golden) raisins.Coupled with some new
exercises my back is getting better and my knee pain has significantly
improved to the point I am ready to go on another training hike soon.
I would not throw in the towel too soon if you love it as much as you
apparently do.Good luck.As a last resort-have you tryed any anti-
inflamatories?
Oldfivetango

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2008, 22:08
I do own a kayak, actually 2!! It is something that my husband like to do as well. He would love for me to put my passion in that sport. Maybe if I sit on my butt in a yak long enough my knee will get better.....:rolleyes:

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2008, 22:08
I do.. 2 of them.

Hammock Hanger
01-24-2008, 22:11
For what it is worth-I am doing some enzymes called Lifezymes and
also doing the gin soaked white(golden) raisins.Coupled with some new
exercises my back is getting better and my knee pain has significantly
improved to the point I am ready to go on another training hike soon.
I would not throw in the towel too soon if you love it as much as you
apparently do.Good luck.As a last resort-have you tryed any anti-
inflamatories?
Oldfivetango

Actually I am taking way too many anti-inflamatories. I also have been on the Glucosamine++ regime.

I have vaguely heard about the gin/raisins. Can you IM me more about that.
TXS.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2008, 22:24
Wow Sue, I'm sorry to hear that. In particular, I'm sorry that apparently I won't see you on the Tuscarora trail this year.

The first priority is to stay heathy to enjoy your Camino trip. Beyond that, I hope you can find a way to rehab or strengthen your knee to do at least some hiking.

And even if you don't hike much in the future, I trust you'll stay informed and involved with us hikers on WB and still come to Trail Days when you can.

Finally if you decide to take up cycling and want to cycle the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org/), give me a call.

Marta
01-24-2008, 22:57
That sucks! My condolences, and wishes for healing and recovery.

rainmaker
01-24-2008, 23:10
I've never met you but have followed and enjoyed your posts for sometime. I'm certainly sorry to hear of your prognosis. Like you I would hate to give up hiking, but long distance cycling and sea kayaking would help me fill the void. If your doctor approves, give a shot. On the positive side, a lot of the gear and the emphasis on going light is interchangeable. Good luck.

take-a-knee
01-24-2008, 23:16
Sorry to hear that Hanger, add chondrotin to the glucosamine. If you get a kayak, you'll need a sit-on-top with a bad knee, a sit-inside will be misery. I have an Emotion Mojo SOT I'm well pleased with.

Almost There
01-25-2008, 00:19
Hey HH, sorry to hear about your problem, and to think I felt sorry for myself last summer when I cut my hike short with a stress fracture. Didn't go near WB for a few months. Can't imagine the thought of never hiking again...but then again, there are some great adventures to be had via a Kayak. Either way, if you want adventure I'm sure you'll find it!!!

Tinker
01-25-2008, 00:42
I can relate, being a fifty-plus person (also, I'm a little heavy). Hiking has been painful for me for the past 5 years or so, but I try not to let it show. When I lag behind, I just say I'm tired or may be catching something. My left knee was pretty well messed up at age 19 when I got hit by a car while bicycling. It needed arthro when I turned 46. This year I tore both my right hamstring and left calf muscle. I hate getting old (but it sure beats the alternative :). Keep a stiff upper lip and plenty of vitamin I on hand. I often say that getting old is God's way of telling us to slow down and enjoy what we have left.
Take care, enjoy El Camino, and especially El Camino de la vida.

Roots
01-25-2008, 00:53
KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!!!!! This definitely does not have to be the end for your hiking. Take a year or so off and do some of that whitewater. If I had to stop the hike...oooo, :eek:.... I would definitely check out the kayak. I totally agree with Lilred on this one. Keep looking for that window to open. Good luck and please keep coming back to WB. After all, how could you not miss this drama?!?:)

River Runner
01-25-2008, 05:08
Very sorry to hear of your problems. Don't forget you don't actually have to hike to belong to this group! :D

Stick around and share your gems of wisdom with the rest of us, and get out there and play any way you can.

Two Speed
01-25-2008, 06:38
HH, you may already know about this, but not all "trails" are dry; ever looked at the North Carolina Paddle Trails (http://www.ncsu.edu/paddletrails/)? Gotta be some of those in Florida, and I'm willing to bet the Georgia coast has got some interesting areas, too.

If you start doing the 'yak thing do us a favor and post a trail journal, will ya?

Mrs Baggins
01-25-2008, 07:48
Last March I would have said the same thing - it's over and I can't do this anymore. I had always bragged about having zero knee pain, that I could hop my way down the steepest mountain like a billy goat. Then I tried to do a thru-hike last March. It was around day 3 that the pain hit and was agonizing. Every step felt like it was tearing my knees apart. Only my trekking poles kept me on my feet. On top of that, for the first time I had foot pain - as though my insteps were about to explode. I lasted to Dick's Creek Gap before facing the facts and ending the hike. I went to a podiatrist and was given orthotics that ended the foot pain immediately. I gave the knees a rest and by late April I was once again billy goating down steep trails and have been ever since. I think the foot problem some how contributed to the knee pain. I'm 52 and feel very fortunate that I'm holding up this well. I always tell my husband that while he may always be chugging way ahead of me on the "ups" I will always be the first to the bottom of the mountain! So don't give up. Not yet. Try everything. We're cheering you on!

Gray Blazer
01-25-2008, 08:20
Good luck with the knee. You are a inspiration to those hiking the FT. Can we still call on you for FT assistance or would that be too tempting? We'll see you at the next FLWB Gathering.

Cindy from Indy
01-25-2008, 08:48
HH, I've enjoyed reading your posts on the whiteblaze network and am ever so respectful of all women who 'get out' and live there lives!!

"Where there's a will, there's a way!!!"

Never Give UP!!

ki0eh
01-25-2008, 09:01
Sorry to hear that HH... guess it turned out a "good" thing I was slow to update the GET Blog! If you want to try paddling up this way sometime, #10 and #18 on here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm are close to the GET...

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 09:10
HH, you may already know about this, but not all "trails" are dry; ever looked at the North Carolina Paddle Trails (http://www.ncsu.edu/paddletrails/)? Gotta be some of those in Florida, and I'm willing to bet the Georgia coast has got some interesting areas, too.

If you start doing the 'yak thing do us a favor and post a trail journal, will ya?

My husband and I have paddled in GA and of course here in FL. We have the Suwannee, don't ya know.

I never knew of the NCPT, thank you so much for the info.

I am feeling a little better this morning after a good nights sleep, a soak in the Jacuzzi and support from friends. I know it will all work out. I was just tired, in pain, feeling sorry for myself and being a bit melodramatic.

I'll find a new niche and once I have given my knee a good long break who knows... I may yet meet one of you out on the trail.

Again thanks for the support and the cheering up.

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 09:14
Last March I would have said the same thing - it's over and I can't do this anymore. I had always bragged about having zero knee pain, that I could hop my way down the steepest mountain like a billy goat. Then I tried to do a thru-hike last March. It was around day 3 that the pain hit and was agonizing. Every step felt like it was tearing my knees apart. Only my trekking poles kept me on my feet. On top of that, for the first time I had foot pain - as though my insteps were about to explode. I lasted to Dick's Creek Gap before facing the facts and ending the hike. I went to a podiatrist and was given orthotics that ended the foot pain immediately. I gave the knees a rest and by late April I was once again billy goating down steep trails and have been ever since. I think the foot problem some how contributed to the knee pain. I'm 52 and feel very fortunate that I'm holding up this well. I always tell my husband that while he may always be chugging way ahead of me on the "ups" I will always be the first to the bottom of the mountain! So don't give up. Not yet. Try everything. We're cheering you on!

Thanks for your words. Actually I managed to get through the AT with minimal knee pain. I hiked 1000+ miles in really bad pain with a sewing needle in my left foot but forced myself on. I seemed to have worked through that and I think I felt if I kept pushing myself I could walk through he knee issues as well. However, hundreds of knee screaming miles later I feel I have been hit with the "stupid stick" long enough and need to look for other avenues and interest. Perhaps as someone else posted this is just a window opening...

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 09:15
Good luck with the knee. You are a inspiration to those hiking the FT. Can we still call on you for FT assistance or would that be too tempting? We'll see you at the next FLWB Gathering.

I'm always available to my friends. :sun

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 09:16
Sorry to hear that HH... guess it turned out a "good" thing I was slow to update the GET Blog! If you want to try paddling up this way sometime, #10 and #18 on here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm are close to the GET...

:( guess, so......

Thanks for the paddle info.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 10:29
SPLASH :sun SPLASH :sun SPLASH :sun SPLASH :sun SPLASH
::: Dino seen crying a river so Sue will get in the kayak :::

Sue, I know you would rather be hiking trails, but as Two-Speed notes some follow aqua-blazes. See that window on the wall? Go over and check it out... you don't have to crawl thru it right away, but it least go look out and see that their is another way to continue to be the loving, active lady you are.

SPLASH........SPLASH........SPLASH........SPLASH.. ......SPLASH........SPLASH........

Jason of the Woods
01-25-2008, 10:42
Don't ever give up hope. I have horrible back pain after a failed surgery and I make myself hike because I can't stop. Give it some time. You'd be amazed what that can do.

Tipi Walter
01-25-2008, 10:55
I feel about the same as you, hiking and backpacking is all I got and all I'm about, take it away and what am I? Useless, indoors, sickly, blah.

I don't really know your situation, but here's what I would do: Go for knee support braces and just wear them all the time when backpacking. Maybe there's some out there that are high tech and light, something to give your knees new life. They might slow you down to a slow crawl, but anything's better than hanging it up.

I would set up a permanent basecamp tent on some property somewhere and sleep out every night. This does wonders for the broken spirit of the "citified man". OR you could become the Legend of Car Camping and live outdoors with a vehicle nearby. Scoot on over from the car to the tent, set up in pristine areas and sleep next to rivers. We gotta be flexible when dealt a surprising hand.

hopefulhiker
01-25-2008, 11:19
HH, You and I are about the same age, and I am wondering about my knees too.. Even if you have to take it easy for a while you can still give good advice to the newbies here on WB....

Pedaling Fool
01-25-2008, 12:32
Knees suck. I got a problem with my right knee, but on a long hike I'll eventually feel pain in both. Sometimes all the pain goes away in my right (bad) knee and transfers to my left, ***?

Inaddition to seeing a Doctor
I wouldn't take too much time off. Work-it, is my philosophy, but do it in way that will not cause more pain, such as cycling, walking of flats, weight lifting(start out with superlight weight and high reps)... When my knee starts acting up, I stop with what caused it and switch to something else that works it, then slowly go back to what caused the pain. In addition to weight training at the gym, my favorite exercise for the knees is a "revolving staircase" It's the closest thing to climbing mountains, here in Florida. However, I also do a lot of one legged squats, start out supporting upperbody to relieve weight/stress and work up. This has worked great for my bad knee.

max patch
01-25-2008, 12:48
Best wishes to you.

Perhaps you'll learn to enjoy dayhiking. Since kids have come along, I do a lot more dayhiking than backpacking these days.

Red Hat
01-25-2008, 13:03
Sue, I am really sorry to hear this. Guess it means your Red Hat group will be a lot busier! Mine is slow. I'm trying to find a new queen for while I'm hiking this year. Best wishes, and remember it's all about "hattitude". Luv ya!

BR360
01-25-2008, 13:12
My sympathies for your plight, HH. T

he human spirit can overcome much that the body cannot. One door closes and another opens. I am reminded of something from Outward Bound, a part of the poem "Ulysses" by James Joyce:

"Though much is Taken, Much Abides.
And though we are not now that which in old days moved
Heaven and Earth,
That which we are, We Are:
One equal temper of heroic strength,
made Weak by Time and Fate, but Strong in Will,
To Seek, To Serve, To Find...and Not to Yield"

I repeat this to myself as Time and Fate takes away some of my resilience, yet Wisens me with fortitude that I only wish I had when younger.

Maybe it will be of some comfort to you.

minnesotasmith
01-25-2008, 13:26
Either or both of these:

1) Decrease outgo and increase income in a longterm focused, even brutal fashion, in order to ASAP afford paying cash for knee replacement;

2) Take up LD swimming, especially outdoor. With gear like a diver's drysuit, can be done outdoors in most climates and weather in the U.S. Easier on the knees, keep you fit, and you could still "travel" under your own power some. Eventually, think of small islands in lakes, even snorkeling/scuba diving...

Good luck to you.

Two Speed
01-25-2008, 13:53
Sorry to hear that HH... guess it turned out a "good" thing I was slow to update the GET Blog! If you want to try paddling up this way sometime, #10 and #18 on here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm are close to the GET...Hmmm, good stuff. You're gonna be the reason I take up a new, expensive hobby. Expect to hear from my attorney REAL soon.

. . . I'll find a new niche and once I have given my knee a good long break who knows... I may yet meet one of you out on the trail. . .

::: Dino seen crying a river so Sue will get in the kayak :::It may just be me, but it's my impression that river rats and hiker trash get along real well when their paths cross. Different medium, whole different set of problems but at the end of the day the motivation to get out there is the same and so are many of the benefits.

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 14:01
It may just be me, but it's my impression that river rats and hiker trash get along real well when their paths cross. Different medium, whole different set of problems but at the end of the day the motivation to get out there is the same and so are many of the benefits.

It may be you - and me too. I just love a journey. On foot or on the water, even on horseback, as long as I'm going somewhere and can camp outside.

And in a kayak, while you still have to pack light, you get to carry a whole lot more and better food.
:sun

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 14:04
Anyone want to do a sweet and VERY CLEAN blackwater river?
The Lumber is a honey, with white sand beaches for camping.
North Carolina has all sorts of River Trails.
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp?trailid=XPO001-029

Late spring and fall are best for:

Lumber River

Preview: The Lumber River was known to the Indians as Lumbee—thought to be an Indian word for black water. The Lumber meanders tightly through the southeastern part of the state, flowing over a sandy bottom. It joins the Little Pee Dee River in South Carolina before flowing into the Atlantic as the Great Pee Dee River. The Lumber River was recognized as a valuable resource in 1978 when it was designated as North Carolina’s first recreational water trail. In 1981, it was made a national canoe trail. In 1989, 115 miles of the river were added to the North Carolina Natural and Scenic River System, and the state created the Lumber River State Park. In 1998, 81 miles of the Lumber were accepted into the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System. Lumber River State Park owns more than 7,000 acres along the river. The park has a major access area at Princess Ann and has plans for others. The floodplain is mainly a cypress, tupelo-gum, and water oak swamp forest. Above the perennially wet lands, loblolly pine and many varieties of hardwoods are found. Rare and endangered plants grow in the river corridor. The insect-eating Venus flytrap also grows here. Wildlife is diverse. Deer, beaver, mink, raccoon, ducks, and wild turkey are common. Alligators and black bear are sometimes seen. The area is an important habitat for the endangered bald eagle and red-cockaded woodpecker. Newly fallen trees are common. At low water, there are often downed trees across the river that would be submerged at higher flows; but at higher flows the current increases, and good boat control is necessary to avoid being swept into overhanging trees and bushes. Overnight canoe camping is popular. Lumber River State Park provides seven paddle-in camping areas, and their master plan calls for others to be developed. Except at Princess Ann, there is no fee or permit required to use the paddle-in camping areas. This eTrail contains 15 sections of the Lumber River from Turnpike Road (Scotland Co. 1412) access to Rice Field Cove Landing access off US 76 near Nichols, South Carolina.

gregdog
01-25-2008, 14:59
I do own a kayak, actually 2!! It is something that my husband like to do as well. He would love for me to put my passion in that sport. Maybe if I sit on my butt in a yak long enough my knee will get better.....:rolleyes:

.......funny, I was a kayaker and developed a condition where the cartiledge in my sternum has deteriated and causes a lot of pain. a couple of years ago after having to stop kayaking, I started hiking, and love it. but I can still head out on my yak every now and then with no problem. I sure do hope that with rest and some treatment you are able to get out enough, even if it isn't as muchas you would like. good luck.

Cuffs
01-25-2008, 21:21
You are always hiking in our collective hearts Sue!

I hope this does not dampen your plans for March.... (hint, hint!)

Ive got the info for the Bartram Trail, we will have to do that soon! Miss you bunches!

Hikerhead
01-25-2008, 21:42
HH..sorry to hear about your knees. You know what's best for you. Take a good long rest, go see a doctor and come up with a plan.

But honostly, I don't think your hiking days are over.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-25-2008, 21:44
Hammock Hanger first you are too young to have these type of knee problems I am on the staff of the Medical College of Georgia Health System in augusta georgia you come to visit and my ortho friends in our Sports Medicine Program will take good care of you . They are the best with these type of injuries. Send me an e-mail and i will arrange a consult for you-you will be back on the trail before you know it

Hillbilly

girlnextdoor
01-25-2008, 22:04
HH ~~ as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter what you're doing! I'm the slowest hiker ever born and I always have a blast! best wishes for the camino :)

LITESHOE ~~ thanks for the good water info! i've got an idea brewing...

Marta
01-25-2008, 22:06
Hammock Hanger first you are too young to have these type of knee problems I am on the staff of the Medical College of Georgia Health System in augusta georgia you come to visit and my ortho friends in our Sports Medicine Program will take good care of you . They are the best with these type of injuries. Send me an e-mail and i will arrange a consult for you-you will be back on the trail before you know it

Hillbilly

That is an awesome offer!

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 22:21
GND - let's do a water trip!

HH ~~ as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter what you're doing! I'm the slowest hiker ever born and I always have a blast! best wishes for the camino :)

LITESHOE ~~ thanks for the good water info! i've got an idea brewing...

Jan LiteShoe
01-25-2008, 22:22
That is an awesome offer!

No kidding! Terrific!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-25-2008, 22:23
Hammock Hanger first you are too young to have these type of knee problems I am on the staff of the Medical College of Georgia Health System in augusta georgia you come to visit and my ortho friends in our Sports Medicine Program will take good care of you . They are the best with these type of injuries. Send me an e-mail and i will arrange a consult for you-you will be back on the trail before you know it ::: Dino gives Hillbilly a huge hug and a kiss on the toes :::

Mother Nature
01-25-2008, 22:36
Just spotted your post!:eek:

Girlfriend! I know what the woods mean to you.

Grab that kayak and kick back awhile! Let your arms carry you for awhile. There are some great places in GA. Stop by the cabin for a visit!

You have more mileage left in those wheels you just have to give them a break!

MN

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 23:56
Any possiblity of bumping this into the same time frame as the AHTS conference?? Just before or after...

Hammock Hanger
01-25-2008, 23:57

Hillbilly

You may be hearing from me. :)

Hammock Hanger
01-26-2008, 11:13
Thank you all for your kind and supportive posts and private emails. I am in better spirits after some rest. I will continue to look into the medical aspects of this issue. In the mean time I'll do a little yaking. (Not the chucky kind.) Thought you might enjoy these pictures and notes:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3778

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21760&c=553

ofthearth
01-26-2008, 12:52
Good luck with the knee. You are a inspiration to those hiking the FT. Can we still call on you for FT assistance or would that be too tempting?

HH just saw this after asking about the packa. Feel bad about complaining about paper work, gators etc. on the FT as I'm sure you'd trade those "problems" for yours. I agree with the above and I'm sure others who hope to do the FT will need your advise.

Had/have knee problems also and it made a difference to find an ortho dr that was a SPORT ortho dr. He seemed to have a better understand as to how important it is to continue some activities. Orthodics and stretching cured/helped with a lot of problems.

Hope it works out for you and still want to ask all those FT questions.

ofthearth

eArThworm
01-26-2008, 17:30
Don't forget the long-distance paddling trail: Florida Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/paddling/saltwater.htm. Doug Alderson is going to be
presenting a program on it at the Tallahassee FT chapter meeting on May 13, FYI.
How come you aren't eligible for knee surgery (if needed)?

WILLIAM HAYES
01-26-2008, 17:59
Hammock Hanger just let me know when my cell is 706-829-6513 we will take good care of you
Hillbilly

Hammock Hanger
01-26-2008, 18:56
Don't forget the long-distance paddling trail: Florida Circumnavigational Saltwater Paddling Trail
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/paddling/saltwater.htm. Doug Alderson is going to be
presenting a program on it at the Tallahassee FT chapter meeting on May 13, FYI.
How come you aren't eligible for knee surgery (if needed)?

eArThworm: I already have that waterway trail on my TO DO -- Bucket List. It sounds awesome!!!

I not sure about the knee, I think I need to injure it a bit more before they are willing to do surgery, age may have something to do with it. Also, the fact that it does not really interfere with NORMAL daily life, other then some pain. Hiking is not considered normal daily life and the doctors just feel that if I stop that I can get a few more years out of the knee before surgery is necessary. But what kind of life is it if one can not live their dreams???

Hammock Hanger just let me know when my cell is 706-829-6513 we will take good care of you
Hillbilly

I will contact you at sometime, to see what my insurance will cover. Your offer is extraordinary and wonderful.:D I LOVE the hiking community!!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-26-2008, 18:59
::: Dino curls a loving tail around HH and prays she will be able to hike with her one day :::

Hammock Hanger
01-26-2008, 20:22
::: Dino curls a loving tail around HH and prays she will be able to hike with her one day :::

I also love dinos!!!:)

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 20:25
HH,
Just got caught up with this thread, and while it's a bummer for sure, pictures of you paddling made me feel better. There's nothing like a long hike or a long paddle.
FYI, there is now a 700 mile Canoe/Kayak trail in the Adirondacks. Best of both worlds and easy on the knees.:):):)

Hammock Hanger
01-26-2008, 21:17
HH,
Just got caught up with this thread, and while it's a bummer for sure, pictures of you paddling made me feel better. There's nothing like a long hike or a long paddle.
FYI, there is now a 700 mile Canoe/Kayak trail in the Adirondacks. Best of both worlds and easy on the knees.:):):)

Are you referring to the Nine Carries?? I've done part of that. The Saranac Chain is still a fav of mine.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 21:31
Are you referring to the Nine Carries?? I've done part of that. The Saranac Chain is still a fav of mine.
Great area to be paddling for sure. Have you tried the Fulton Chain Lakes around Inlet??

Hammock Hanger
01-26-2008, 22:45
Great area to be paddling for sure. Have you tried the Fulton Chain Lakes around Inlet??

I've not done the Fulton Chain. I did have a group of boys from the camp go there with a different counselor.

It is all beautiful up there.

Hey did you know that loons winter in the Panhandle of FL? I never knew that. I saw some a couple of days ago. The locals do not call them loons, they are refered to as ducks in a non-politically correct way.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 22:47
I've not done the Fulton Chain. I did have a group of boys from the camp go there with a different counselor.

Hey did you know that loons winter in the Panhandle of FL? I never knew that. I saw some a couple of days ago. The locals do not call them loons, they are refered to as ducks in a non-politically correct way.
So that's where the loons go. Just the mention of them makes my inner sweet melancholy long for their sound, and the trail.

Skidsteer
01-26-2008, 23:55
I not sure about the knee, I think I need to injure it a bit more before they are willing to do surgery, age may have something to do with it. Also, the fact that it does not really interfere with NORMAL daily life, other then some pain. Hiking is not considered normal daily life and the doctors just feel that if I stop that I can get a few more years out of the knee before surgery is necessary. But what kind of life is it if one can not live their dreams???

At some point, when you know you have everything in proper perspective, you may well have to demand surgery. Maybe even make a nuisance of yourself.

As you said, hiking is not normal daily life for the general population and many Doctors seem determined to procrastinate your life away.

My wife recently had a total hip replacement at age 47. She had to try three different Surgeons to make it happen. She doesn't regret it.

Good Luck and here's hoping that all it takes is a bit of rest!

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2008, 19:46
Well the guys that I headed out hiking with made it home. After getting me off the trail they saw a lot of wildlife and had a great time.

MOWGLI
01-27-2008, 20:42
Sue is such a great hiking partner. We had a blast on the Florida Trail, and Buford & I were sad to see her drop off the trail early. We had some times that will not soon be forgotten. For instance, when we came off the trail after day 3 to get Sue's car and reposition Buford's, we got a hotel room. Sue wakes us up telling us it's 5 AM and it's time to start moving. Buford & I packed up, put our pack's in Sue's car, and I drove us to a nearby restaurant that was supposed to be open at 5:30 AM. It was closed, and the town was deserted. Then Sue says, "why does my dashboard say 1:52 AM?" I checked my cellphone and said, "because it is 1:52 AM." Sue had accidentally set the stopwatch on her wrist watch. :D

We went back to the motel room and I accidentally set off her car alarm. :eek: It's funny now, but I was freaking out as the alarm sounded at 2 AM. :D

It's so nice to see the community supportive of our sister. My hat's off to you all!

Tenacious Tanasi
01-27-2008, 21:13
HH,

Hate to hear that you are having issues with your knees. Take the gentleman up on his offer.

Keep us posted on what's going on with ya.

/me huggles Sue.

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2008, 22:47
Sue is such a great hiking partner. We had a blast on the Florida Trail, and Buford & I were sad to see her drop off the trail early. We had some times that will not soon be forgotten. For instance, when we came off the trail after day 3 to get Sue's car and reposition Buford's, we got a hotel room. Sue wakes us up telling us it's 5 AM and it's time to start moving. Buford & I packed up, put our pack's in Sue's car, and I drove us to a nearby restaurant that was supposed to be open at 5:30 AM. It was closed, and the town was deserted. Then Sue says, "why does my dashboard say 1:52 AM?" I checked my cellphone and said, "because it is 1:52 AM." Sue had accidentally set the stopwatch on her wrist watch. :D

We went back to the motel room and I accidentally set off her car alarm. :eek: It's funny now, but I was freaking out as the alarm sounded at 2 AM. :D

It's so nice to see the community supportive of our sister. My hat's off to you all!

Tatteltale... He set off the alarm again when we left at 5:30 am. It is terrible to have watch that is smarter then you are. :)

Blue Jay
01-28-2008, 16:21

The Fulton chain is amazing. There are also several other loops that have opened up in the past few years, but I haven't done them yet. To get back to hiking, have you tried cutting your daily milage in half. After all the point is being out there, so what if it takes twice as long. I've had some horrendous accidents in the past while skiing and motorcycling.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-28-2008, 17:37
Dear Hammock Hanger,

I have order one of these for you and me.

Love,
She-Dino
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/dinowheelchair.jpg
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/dinowheelchair.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Hammock Hanger
01-28-2008, 17:43
Alright!!! I can just see myself cruisin' up the trail mowin' down those pesky slow moving hikers in my way. Wayhooo, out of my way boys..... comin' through!

margo
01-28-2008, 20:53
I am still recovering from knee surgery but I'm mending slowly but surely. I had problems that came and went for almost a year but usually the first line of treatment is that cortazone shot so I didnt' mention it to the doc.

The comings lasted longer than goings and one day I couldn't walk and it didn't go away. Long story short I had a torn meniscus and arthitius jaggy things that they scraped off my knee cap. They told me I could go back to what I used to do!

I didn't think I would be able to bike and hike anymore and I think I might have to scale back some of my activities but I still have a few years left in me.

I know some people that have had knee replacement and scamper around like kids! There is an ad here in town that features a lady playing tennis with an artifical hip. The doctor said she was active so to keep her that way he put in the new fancy schmancy hip joint that won't wear out.

I work in a hospital so I can find out which docs will work with you being active and the ones that want you to not do anything. Take that other poster up on his offer. I put on a few pounds waiting for a knee to get better that was not going to get better. I would say I wish I'd done it sooner but I don't think in my case anything could be done any sooner. Your case sounds different.

ki0eh
01-29-2008, 09:19
I have order one of these for you and me.

What, no Photoshop?

Hammock Hanger
10-29-2008, 20:08
Well I never rec'd the super duper trail runner that the Dino ordered for us.

However, the doctors have finally decided to do the arthoscopic surgery. Margo explained it pretty well, they will be repairing a torn meniscus and sanding down the jagged bone spur things that have developed on the inner and outer sides of my knee.

Supposedly it will give me a few more years of hiking before I either have to repeat it or go for the new knee. Time will tell.

I'm glad to be moving forward after a summer of sitting on my butt!!!

HH

smokymtnsteve
10-29-2008, 20:14
come on up here to AK Sue, and try dog mushing! great way to see a very different type of wilderness! and a new outdoor skill set.

slow
10-29-2008, 20:28

However, the doctors have finally decided to do the arthoscopic surgery. Margo explained it pretty well, they will be repairing a torn meniscus and sanding down the jagged bone spur things that have developed on the inner and outer sides of my knee.

Supposedly it will give me a few more years of hiking before I either have to repeat it or go for the new knee. Time will tell.

HH

Good luck and all turns out well.:)

Pringles
10-29-2008, 20:29

HH

Good luck with your surgery. I had that in January, and it helped me a lot! I hope you have as much luck as I did.

Pringles

River Runner
10-29-2008, 21:51
Hope all goes well with the surgery and you are soon back on the trail Hammock Hanger.

weary
10-29-2008, 23:46
Well, I've said this before. But perhaps it bears repeating. When I decided to hike the trail in 1992, I asked my doctor if it were wise. His respone: "It's the best thing you could possibly do."

I reminded him of my knees, which had been a problem for at least a decade. "JUst start slow and they will get better," he said. I took his advice. I started at Amicalola State Park and reached Springer Mountain 8 miles and two days later.

Six months and three days later I reached Katahdin. I don't claim either thru hiker, or 2000-miler status. But getting on the trail and plugging along was the best thing I've ever chosen to do.

My advice is to do the trail. If you can only do a mile, do it. Then do whatever Day two, three, four, five ...... allows. You can get better. probably. But you won't know until you begin the test..

Weary

Jeff
10-30-2008, 09:13
HH,

I have been following your hiking adventures since 2001. You started hammocking before hammocking was cool.:)

Although we have never met, I learned about you from Aloha Ann on my first section hike in '01 north of Pearisburg. What stories she told me!!!

Best of luck on your recovery and get on with continuing as a trail ledgend !!!

Hammock Hanger
10-30-2008, 09:37
Well, I've said this before. But perhaps it bears repeating. When I decided to hike the trail in 1992, I asked my doctor if it were wise. His respone: "It's the best thing you could possibly do."

I reminded him of my knees, which had been a problem for at least a decade. "JUst start slow and they will get better," he said. I took his advice. I started at Amicalola State Park and reached Springer Mountain 8 miles and two days later.

Six months and three days later I reached Katahdin. I don't claim either thru hiker, or 2000-miler status. But getting on the trail and plugging along was the best thing I've ever chosen to do.

My advice is to do the trail. If you can only do a mile, do it. Then do whatever Day two, three, four, five ...... allows. You can get better. probably. But you won't know until you begin the test..

Weary

I have hiked many a mile, foot and inch ... UNfortunately the last 3 hikes were abortd midway through when the pain became too unbearable. All one can do is to hike out slow and see where it goes from there.

Hammock Hanger
10-30-2008, 09:39
come on up here to AK Sue, and try dog mushing! great way to see a very different type of wilderness! and a new outdoor skill set.

Dog mushing... Now that sounds like fun. However, I doubt I would get much respect from my dogs when I cuddled with them and had them all hangin' in the hammock with me. :D

ki0eh
10-30-2008, 10:59
HH, was just thinking of you last weekend when we passed Big Mountain shelter on the Tuscarora Trail just south of Cowans Gap, Pa. and saw your and Nails' entries in the register. Take care of yourself and we will hope eventually to meet you up here on the GET.

max patch
10-30-2008, 11:27
My wife had the scope in both knees and is just now starting to have problems again -- 25 years later. Hope you fare as well.

Blissful
10-30-2008, 13:38

HH

Glad they are doing something for it; that's good news. May it go really well!!

Gray Blazer
10-30-2008, 13:40
Good luck with the surgery. My knee is starting to feel a lot better two years out from major surgery and ACL replacement.

Alligator
10-30-2008, 13:42
Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Oak
10-30-2008, 14:08
Hi there,
I don't post here often, but I do read a lot. I am also a baby hammocker, and I spend some time over at hammock forums also.
If you get into the kayak thing, don't be afraid to try a real sit inside sea kayak. We've got the Maine Island Trail, which is about 350 miles long up the coast of Maine to about the Canadian border. Camp on private and public islands.
Also, the Northern Forest Canoe Trail runs through western Maine all the way to the Adirondaks of NY.
As one who has had 7 :eek: knee surgeries, I think I can understand the pain that you're dealing with. I don't get too uncormfortable in a kayak or canoe. My best friend is a big bottle of Aleve!
Good luck with the 'scope.

Oak

cowboy nichols
10-30-2008, 14:33
Good luck HH hope this cures your knee problems. Keep us posted.

Hammock Hanger
10-30-2008, 16:27
HH, was just thinking of you last weekend when we passed Big Mountain shelter on the Tuscarora Trail just south of Cowans Gap, Pa. and saw your and Nails' entries in the register. Take care of yourself and we will hope eventually to meet you up here on the GET.

If all goes well I hope to be back up there and moving north Spring of 2009. :D

adventurousmtnlvr
10-30-2008, 21:30
Gosh "S" that is so sad to me as well. You were my first friend on here. Always helpful no matter how much I bugged you ... and especially not when I asked embarrassing questions (which I seem to do quite well thank you). I would say be an 'advisor' ... but I also know when my doctor told me to quit ballroom dancing and skating for a year how it KILLED me to see anyone else do it ... I couldn't watch. But I never give up. Having horrible foot problems when I nearly have all my gear... received my tent today in fact but haven't had a sec to open it. And I had knee problems (arthritis) from snow skiing and skating so I do understand that part. Gosh you are just the best person and I'm so sorry. I hope and pray some sort of miracle happens for you .. really I do :) ... a friend ...

BumpJumper
10-30-2008, 22:53
Say what??? Who, what, when Sue?:eek::eek:

Spirit Walker
10-30-2008, 23:08
Hammockhanger:

Jim had a torn meniscus as well. He got 'scoped in August 2005. All went well; he was hiking again very soon, and in April 2006 we started our CDT thruhike. We finished in October. He had problems on the trail, but not with that knee.

It's the other one that needs surgery now. He's getting it replaced in a couple of weeks and plans to be on the trail by spring. Which trail, we have no idea, but he'll be on a trail somewhere.

Anyhow, the arthoscopic surgery can really help and recovery time isn't too bad. You'll be hiking sooner than you think.

tom_alan
10-31-2008, 00:03

HH

HH, I have read a lot of your post since I have joined. I do have a sensitive side to me. You have mad me laugh, laugh out loud, smile and now you have brought tears to my eyes. I hurt for you. I am glad to hear that you are getting the surgery.

In the fall of 1998 I tore both my inner and outer meniscus while skiing. I had the same surgery done; however, I only had a spur on the inner. I am now hiking, skiing, and biking again without any problems. My prayers are with you my lady.

Texasgirl
10-31-2008, 00:37
HH, I too have read in the background your posts, jokes and good advice. Good luck on the surgery. I've got several friends, runners, b-ball players, who've had the surgery and gotten back on the road and the courts after rest and PT. Yay for you.

stranger
10-31-2008, 19:46
There is a hell of a lot more to life than hiking, and your knees will improve with conditioning and developing a plan to build the strength in them. Don't give up, but a couple years off might do the trick.

Personally, I only do a serious hike about every 5-7 years, and that works for me. I have many loves in this life and hiking is just one of them, you will find there are many other things out there more worthy of attention than hiking if you look for them. And the trails will always be there, and you will end up back out there, but at the moment I can appreciate how difficult it can be for you.

Just keep positive, and work to a goal and you will get there in time. Have a plan and work the plan, you'll be fine.

Red Hat
10-31-2008, 22:19
My dear Red Hat Hiking Friend, I wish you the best on your surgery. Hope to see you out there hiking next year!

rootball
10-31-2008, 22:33
My knees were in horrible shape. I started biking and a year later the knee pain was gone. I then started parring down the pack weight and things got even better. I had to sacrifice some gear and some money, but it kept me in the woods and it was worth it.
I don't even miss my tent anymore. And alcohol stoves were a blessing that I might never have discovered. Running shoes have been great for my feet and they don't hurt at the end of a long day anymore. My wife has joined me on my bike rides and that too is plus - we really have a good time. I'd say there is a good side to it.
I guess what I am saying is that there may be hope. I am unaware of the cause of your pain and hope that it is something that is manageable for you. Maybe you can try different approaches to rehabilition and get back out there and enjoy the passion. Good luck.

Bare Bear
11-07-2008, 01:41
HH, if you think this will get you out of finishing the FT this winter THINK AGAIN. Crap lady you only have 20 miles left correct?
I had my first knee rebuild at age 16. Docs said I would be in a wheelchair by 21. Dislocated it 13 times abusing it in sports anyway and have had four more surgeries.
You of all people should know that it has always been mind of feet. :)

MOWGLI
11-07-2008, 08:51
Dog mushing... Now that sounds like fun. However, I doubt I would get much respect from my dogs when I cuddled with them and had them all hangin' in the hammock with me. :D

Take Steve up on the offer Sue! I bet he has something for that knee pain too. ;)

Safety Pins
11-09-2008, 18:06
Hh:

Safety Pins
11-09-2008, 18:11
HH: Sorry to read of your knee problems -- I can relate. As has been said, by all means check with an orthopedic doctor and get the condition diagnosed. If your problem is cartilage loss in your knees (osteoarthritis), you could talk to your doc about injections of Synvisc, which is a substance that substitutes for joint fluid. It is administered every six months in a series of 3 injections, a week apart, in each knee. I've been getting these series for three years now, and for me it's been a miracle, going from limited activity to no limitations. Hope this might be a helpful suggestion for you, or others. S.P.

Hammock Hanger
11-09-2008, 19:13
HH: Sorry to read of your knee problems -- I can relate. As has been said, by all means check with an orthopedic doctor and get the condition diagnosed. If your problem is cartilage loss in your knees (osteoarthritis), you could talk to your doc about injections of Synvisc, which is a substance that substitutes for joint fluid. It is administered every six months in a series of 3 injections, a week apart, in each knee. I've been getting these series for three years now, and for me it's been a miracle, going from limited activity to no limitations. Hope this might be a helpful suggestion for you, or others. S.P.

I spent the entire year of 2008 getting PT and Synvisc injections. Unfortunately this did not work for me. I have heard from others that it was great. - I had high hopes. -- Friday I go in for debridement and repair of a torn meniscus.

I'll let ya know how that turns out as soon as I know...:o

Blissful
11-09-2008, 20:12
Keep us informed. Take care.

tom_alan
11-09-2008, 21:14
I spent the entire year of 2008 getting PT and Synvisc injections. Unfortunately this did not work for me. I have heard from others that it was great. - I had high hopes. -- Friday I go in for debridement and repair of a torn meniscus.

I'll let ya know how that turns out as soon as I know...:o

HH you wont be alone. Our prayers will be with you and your surgeon.

Tom

Safety Pins
11-10-2008, 18:09
All good wishes for your procedure, and recovery. S.P.

Cookerhiker
11-10-2008, 22:10
Hope the surgery works HH and you're back on the Trail next year. Have yo considered acupuncture? It greatly helped me with my shoulder impingement syndrome and my acupuncturist has treated patients with knee problems. I'm not saying it should in lieu of surgery at this point but it's worthwhile consultig an acupuncturist.

Hammock Hanger
11-10-2008, 22:53
Hope the surgery works HH and you're back on the Trail next year. Have yo considered acupuncture? It greatly helped me with my shoulder impingement syndrome and my acupuncturist has treated patients with knee problems. I'm not saying it should in lieu of surgery at this point but it's worthwhile consulting an acupuncturist.

No I have not seen an acupuncturist for this issue. Not sure why I didn't?? I used one when I was in CO for 2 herniated disc and he work wonders. All the regular doctor wanted to do was surgery and I said, NO!!

If this works and I am able to get back to the trail I will be up in PA come Spring. We will get together, right!!

Hammock Hanger
11-15-2008, 10:24
Well the surgery went well. The doctor repaired a torn meniscus, sanded down bone spurs on the top and bottom of the bone and fixed something to do with a ligament.

The pain from the surgery wasn't bad as I was pretty doped up. The morphine and the Oxycontin made me very sick and I spent most of the day nausea. Thank goodness for plastic bags and I was sick the whole drive home. Due to the nausea I stopped taking the Oxycontin.

Today I fell a bit hungover. The swelling has already begun to subside and there really isn't that much pain.

I'm optimistic and glad I pushed on to find a doctor willing to work with me. Thanks for all the concerned emails. Your support and prayers were much appreciated.

yappy
11-15-2008, 10:43
I have never met ya girlfriend... but I know trash when i read it ! i hope it all works out and ya get back back beneath the stars again soon..:)

Kerosene
11-15-2008, 12:14
All the best to you, Sue. Take it slow, stretch out your recovery efforts if you're in a lot of pain and are swelling...you'll be back out there finishing the BMT before you know it.

Pringles
11-15-2008, 14:10
Glad to hear it went well! Hope you're back on the trail soon!

Beth

tom_alan
11-15-2008, 20:50
Really glad to hear all went well.

SawnieRobertson
11-16-2008, 19:24
Well the surgery went well. The doctor repaired a torn meniscus, sanded down bone spurs on the top and bottom of the bone and fixed something to do with a ligament.

The pain from the surgery wasn't bad as I was pretty doped up. The morphine and the Oxycontin made me very sick and I spent most of the day nausea. Thank goodness for plastic bags and I was sick the whole drive home. Due to the nausea I stopped taking the Oxycontin.

Today I fell a bit hungover. The swelling has already begun to subside and there really isn't that much pain.

I'm optimistic and glad I pushed on to find a doctor willing to work with me. Thanks for all the concerned emails. Your support and prayers were much appreciated.

Hammock Hanger, I had no idea that you were having these problems, probably because I only dipped in at the Gathering for a part of Sunday this year. Setting up and crawling around in my tent and driving to and from Athens (only two hours each way) was too much for my knee to contemplate. But I am so glad that I came across this thread today on WhiteBlaze.

You see, I injured my right knee on about June 16 or 17 this summer and did not find out the seriousness of what I had done until Friday, two days ago. The iinjury was diagnosed as a strain. Although I used no painkillers other than some Vit I once or twice a day, I just kept reminding myself as I yelped that I was a slow healer when I had foot surgery and when I had a torn gastroc.

Finally, fearing that this could become a chronic problem as six months of being able to do nothing that was at all fun approached, I took action. The MRI report that I got late Friday afternoon identified my injury as "a complete tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus." The problem is an acute injury, not degenerative.

And so I have continued to "do nothing" but read more and more deeply into the problem through articles on the Internet and to search for the right board certified orthopaedic physician who specializes in sports medicine all weekend. I have to find the right doc, one who doesn't look at age 75 and overweight as proof that I really should not be concerned about being able to be trail worthy in 2010, which is my plan. That's my focus for this next week.

TTo wrap it up: The pathos you shared throughout this thread until your victorious announcement that it is done, well, it really made me feel not so alone. We are truly sistahs! Thanks, and go after that PT with a will, girl. You're going to be out there better than ever in due time.--Kinnickinic

Marta
11-16-2008, 19:26
Good luck for a speedy rehab, HH!

And get well soon, Sawnie!

Hammock Hanger
11-16-2008, 19:38
Kinnickinic: The first doctor would only say I was old and over weight. I'm glad I kept pushing. Get that meniscus taken care of!! My knee is actually less painful today, 2 days post surgery then it was last week.

Kerosene
11-16-2008, 19:48
When I tore my MCL a few years ago, the doctor said that I'd be fully recovered in 3 weeks...if I was still 18 years old. He estimated a recovery time of more like 3 months (I only needed PT), and I was back on the soccer field in 2.5 but didn't feel like myself until 4 months.

All I'm trying to say is, even though you may not feel your age, it takes longer for the body to heal itself as you grow old. Give it more time than you'd think before you jump back into your regimen. Frustrating I know, but give it a chance. Of course, I do suggest that you push the PT as much as they'll let you.

Here's to a fast and progressive recovery, HH and Kinnickinic!

SawnieRobertson
11-16-2008, 19:50
Kinnickinic: The first doctor would only say I was old and over weight. I'm glad I kept pushing. Get that meniscus taken care of!! My knee is actually less painful today, 2 days post surgery then it was last week.

Hey, HH, Did you know that Big Red had meniscus surgery about nine days ago? He was driving and back to work the first part of this week. So much for being old and a little chubby! (hee hee) It just makes us see more clearly what is important in life.

And, you know, I had never had an even slight pain in my knees until I got a little confused about my role in the set up of things until this June, when I spent seven hours over three days playing defensive lineman against a Muscovey drake who wanted to destroy 13 newly hatched ducklings and their mom. The nurse at the Troutdale Clinic, my primary care facility, still laughs about my lesson in never getting between wildlife.--KK:confused: