PDA

View Full Version : Exped Wallcreeper - down fill - question

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-24-2008, 21:20
I recently bought an Exped Wallcreeper (http://www.backcountry.com/store/ODR0237/Exped-Wallcreeper-Sleeping-Bag.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=ODR0237&mv_pc=r126). It is rated to 30F but I am a very cold sleeper. Have any cold sleepers used this bag and what temps will actually be comfortable using this bag alone?

A second question - the Dinos have been invited to go on a two night trip with some guys from church in a couple of weeks. It is going to be colder than the Kennebec in January out there. I'd like to use the Wallcreeper with a quilt so I will stay warm during the night and can wear the Wallcreeper in the evening and morning. Has anyone tried this and how did it work?

take-a-knee
01-24-2008, 23:27
I have the PL Wallcreeper and I'm good to the thirties (high)in a hammock with two oware pads. I haven't tried the quilt thing but I'm sure it'll work fine. If you are using a quilt with a fixed footbox that might not have enough room but with a JRB style it should work fine, only one way to find out.

Tinker
01-25-2008, 00:32
I am a VERY warm sleeper and find my Feathered Friends Rock Wren, with 800 fill and 2oz. extra down to be warm only to about 30 degrees. Similar bags, except yours has more bells and whistles which make the shell heavier, so you probably don't have as much down as you would need to keep warm to 30 degrees. Similar bags, being that they both are more semi-rectangular than mummy because of the foot drawstring.

take-a-knee
01-25-2008, 00:48
I am a VERY warm sleeper and find my Feathered Friends Rock Wren, with 800 fill and 2oz. extra down to be warm only to about 30 degrees. Similar bags, except yours has more bells and whistles which make the shell heavier, so you probably don't have as much down as you would need to keep warm to 30 degrees. Similar bags, being that they both are more semi-rectangular than mummy because of the foot drawstring.

I can make it down to 25 F with no problem with my Wren (no overstuff). I slept in my hammock the other nite and I was getting COOL on the bottom (JRB Nest underneath) at 22 F. I plan to add a pad in the hammock to see how low I can go.